Can begin to see United’s rebuild & new core is nearing completion

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
still need convincing that all-british is the way to go...

Jezpeza

still need convincing that all-british is the way to go...
I dont think it necessarily is or that we are going for that - i just think we wanted a proven cb and rb in this league from teams who would sell - which ruled out players from other top 6 teams, and it happened to be Harry and AWB were the best targets. The heaviest remaining links are Fernandes and Dybala. Neither british.

Fergie's gum

I actually think the problem is Pogba or rather his playing position. I don't trust him as one of the 2 midfielders in a 4-2-3-1. His faffing around and lack of defense will cost us. He should play as our 10, but we're getting Dybala for that so...

We (will) have a very good collection of players, but I'm not sure how it will work as a team. But at least I'm excited for the season to start.
Agree 100%. I’ve seen formations trying to shoehorn this hypothetical collection of players into a team, but I remain unconvinced, not by the quality but by the balance. Now we have plugged a gaping hole at CB, whatever formation we play 3 things are apparent to me:
1. We need width on the right to complement AWB. Funnily enough Lukaku was our best out on the right last year.
2. McT needs to be a starter possibly paired with another defensively capable midfielder. Matic is not mobile enough any more.
3.To realize Pogba’s undeniable potential he needs to play as a 10.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I dont think it necessarily is or that we are going for that - i just think we wanted a proven cb and rb in this league from teams who would sell - which ruled out players from other top 6 teams, and it happened to be Harry and AWB were the best targets. The heaviest remaining links are Fernandes and Dybala. Neither british.
Come back to me, when those are done! I'll be the one with the champagne in my hand (it's the best we can expect having not got CL football)

Ranchero

If we finish the window with three signings, James, Wan Bassaka and Maguire, that will not be enough to be comfortable about making the Top Four next season, in my opinion. We need a radical reboot of central midfield and the worry is there is no quality to come in that area in this transfer window. Plus if we keep Paul Pogba, the one midfielder of true quality we have, when he turns it on, there will undoubtedly be continuing speculation about his desire to be somewhere else.

Castia

.......wow.

The reality is Maguire was bought with the Lukaku money and we have no midfield, no right winger and no out and out striker.

Forever 7th. It’s gonna get ugly this season on and off the pitch, the protests will start come November.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
.......wow.

The reality is Maguire was bought with the Lukaku money and we have no midfield, no right winger and no out and out striker.

Forever 7th. It’s gonna get ugly this season on and off the pitch, the protests will start come November.
Got to agree. We need more signings to see something different.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
With Dybala not happening in mind, I sure hope the club tries to find a DM to almost complete the defensive overhaul before looking at other attacking players.
Almost, since we still need a second high class cb to pair with Maguire and a alternative for Shaw

Say for example that we got Rice, then I doubt our defense would struggle at all.
Right now it will still be challenged too often with Matic in front of it.

De Gea
AWB - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw
Rice
McTominay - Pogba​

Is a good defense and midfield to support it. Our attacking outlet would be a bit weak, but they could express themselves to the best of their ability because they have proper support from behind.
Next year we could go for Sancho and be happy or close to happy with our attack.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Maguire is complete, Dybala is just a matter of when, Bruno looks likely - the latter 2 going purely off the most reliable journalists in football and their reports.

There’s a really good chance these players will form the hopeful/likely starting 11:

Rashford - 21yrs

Martial - 23yrs

Dybala - 25yrs

Pogba - 26yrs

Fernandes - 24yrs

McTominay - 22yrs

Shaw - 24yrs

Lindelof - 24yrs

Maguire - 26yrs

AWB - 21yrs

De Gea - 28yrs

= incredible average starting Xl age of 24 years old.

United are going to be burning some fecking calories this season alright.

...you can almost begin to see the light at the end of the rebuild tunnel. That’s a core group that can stick together for many years to come with their youthfulness. That’s excluding the Greenwood’s/James’ we also have in the squad, as well as the likely DM+RW we will still add next summer.

Incredible really. Not just the age range but the quality all those players have. Think about it - Luke Shaw really just went from our POTY this past season to our now weakest starting 11 defender. If we can confirm Dybala+Bruno, he’s arguably our “weakest” player in the starting lineup.

It’s took some years of hardship in order to get to this point but we’re finally here. And it’s beautiful. And feels like the glory days will soon be among us with Ole at the wheel.

LET’S FECKING GOOOO !!!!
Amen to this. A bit of positivity.

RedNed77

Amen to this. A bit of positivity.
I like a bit of positivity as much as the next man, but this was never anything but naive. Anybody who thought all/most of our problems would be fixed with a wave of the magic money wand in one summer is an idiot.

ManchesterYoda

With Dybala not happening in mind, I sure hope the club tries to find a DM to almost complete the defensive overhaul before looking at other attacking players.
Almost, since we still need a second high class cb to pair with Maguire and a alternative for Shaw

Say for example that we got Rice, then I doubt our defense would struggle at all.

De Gea
Rice
McTominay - Pogba​

Is a good defense and midfield to support it. Our attacking outlet would be a bit weak, but they could express themselves to the best of their ability because they have proper support from behind.
Next year we could go for Sancho and be happy or close to happy with our attack.
I agree about signing Rice if we can, but against tough opposition I think we should play Pogba in front of Rice and McTominay rather than Rice behind Pogba and McTominay. I don't want Pogba restricted to one side of the pitch. I'd want him central behind a balanced front 3.
If we are playing weaker opposition we could play Pogba deeper with Rice and have 4 in front of them.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That's what happens when you include players that aren't even at the club.

Brightonian

I like a bit of positivity as much as the next man, but this was never anything but naive. Anybody who thought all/most of our problems would be fixed with a wave of the magic money wand in one summer is an idiot.
That was very clearly not what he was saying though. Almost the opposite. The point is that this core of young players has been building over a few years. It's not exactly been intentional, but while the expensive flops have come and gone the likes of Shaw, Martial, Rashford and increasingly McTominay have stuck around through tough times and bad spells and become reliable fixtures in the team, to which hopefully AWB, Maguire and hopefully at some point James can be further additions. The tricky years haven't been wasted - think how experienced Rashford is for a 21-year-old. He's seen the CL, the EL, loads of domestic football of every kind, ups and downs both personally and for the team, managers flying high, managers struggling. He's an extremely well-tested footballer for his age, and you can't buy that kind of experience.

I'm all for the OP here. Anyone disappointed about Bruno/Dybala pays too much heed to transfer nonsense, and their names never had that much to do with the key sentiment here. It's about the sensible additions built up over time, not the flashy new toys.

Jezpeza

Come back to me, when those are done! I'll be the one with the champagne in my hand (it's the best we can expect having not got CL football)
Great non response to my point. Even if we don't sign those two in particular it doesn't mean the next signings will be british. Don't understand posts like yours - are you a Manchester United fan or not? Crying about us not signing your dream team on an internet forum whilst making snide remarks about us not making the CL before a balls been kicked seems a bit pathetic. I don't really give a jot what nationality the signings are - I’d love us to have signed De Bruyne, Messi and Van Dijk but are we getting them? Live in reality mate

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Great non response to my point. Even if we don't sign those two in particular it doesn't mean the next signings will be british. Don't understand posts like yours - are you a Manchester United fan or not? Crying about us not signing your dream team on an internet forum whilst making snide remarks about us not making the CL before a balls been kicked seems a bit pathetic. I don't really give a jot what nationality the signings are - I’d love us to have signed De Bruyne, Messi and Van Dijk but are we getting them? Live in reality mate
talk about not staying on topic! try reading what I said.. I said the British players we bought are not world class and we need world class. And, of course, surprise, surprise Dybala has fallen apart as has Bruno. but hey. don't bother with the facts

Jezpeza

talk about not staying on topic! try reading what I said.. I said the British players we bought are not world class and we need world class. And, of course, surprise, surprise Dybala has fallen apart as has Bruno. but hey. don't bother with the facts
Name some world class players who would want to join us and are available. Any nationality. And on top of that are proven PL players. Did you think we would sign Sancho, Dybala, Varane, Verrati and Kane this summer in some sort of mad 600 million trolley dash or something?

You were originally referring to us signing only British players my point was the fact that we have signed some players who happen to be British, and the next may not be. It doesn't matter anyway. I cant imagine anyone who wouldn't take Kane and Sancho if we could sign them today. Nationality is irrelevant. We need players who will improve us, regardless of nationality or if they are ‘world class’. No team is made up entirely of 11 world class players. Galatico projects dont work outside of football games. Its a stupid point.

flappyjay

De Gea
Rice
McTominay - Pogba​

I wasn't open to Rice at the beginning of the window but seeing as McTominay's passing has come through leaps and bounds I would be okay with him joining. I think Scott could pass from deep, leaving Pogba to focus most of his energy on feeding the strikers

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So now we don't have Dybala anymore and Bruno looks unlikely as well.

I don't think McTominay and Andreas are good enough to be named here yet, in case of Andreas I don't think he will reach that level at all and while McTominay has shown more promise, it's not like he's super young exceeding expectations on a weekly basis. He has shown glimpses of top level talent but he hasn't been consistently that great IMO, and his ceiling is probably closer to a solid league player rather than a star.

I have hopes for Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Garner, Tuanzebe etc. but I am afraid they won't be given a chance. The likes of Mata, Lingard, Matic, Jones, Rojo will always get the nod ahead of them so unless we have a huge injury crisis, those players will probably not play significant minutes this season anyway. I'd honestly prefer to get rid of all the deadwood, give a run to young players, sign some more young hungry players even at the expense of finishing 10th this year. Continuing with the underwhelming core is the worst that could happen.

Jezpeza

So now we don't have Dybala anymore and Bruno looks unlikely as well.

I don't think McTominay and Andreas are good enough to be named here yet, in case of Andreas I don't think he will reach that level at all and while McTominay has shown more promise, it's not like he's super young exceeding expectations on a weekly basis. He has shown glimpses of top level talent but he hasn't been consistently that great IMO, and his ceiling is probably closer to a solid league player rather than a star.

I have hopes for Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Garner, Tuanzebe etc. but I am afraid they won't be given a chance. The likes of Mata, Lingard, Matic, Jones, Rojo will always get the nod ahead of them so unless we have a huge injury crisis, those players will probably not play significant minutes this season anyway. I'd honestly prefer to get rid of all the deadwood, give a run to young players, sign some more young hungry players even at the expense of finishing 10th this year. Continuing with the underwhelming core is the worst that could happen.
I agree with a large segment of that. I dont think Andreas looks great. Worryingly still looks better than Matic and Fred though. Mctominay has looked very good in pre season. In regards the youth players, i share the same fear. I hope they are moved ahead of Mata Matic Jones or Rojo who are only going to underwhelm and not improve. Maybe Ole has the bravery to move them up the pecking order.

I still think we may get one more signing in before deadline day is up though

Smores

The Boris Johnson approach of bluster and positivity, that'll get results that will.

El Zoido

Hilarious that people talk about certain players as if they’re in the bag. Dybala was never happening, it was obvious from the beginning he didn’t want to come here yet people make threads like this talking as if he’s already wearing the shirt. Until I see them on the Man Utd webpage, pen in hand & signing the contract, I’ll assume they’re not coming. Don’t know why people make these ridiculous fantasy lineups just because some supposedly-reliable journo says they though they heard something.

Slysi17

I would love to say we will make top four but those forward and midfield options are a trainwreck. 7th place and Ole getting sacked is my guess. Already annoyed a season will be potentially wasted.

::sonny::

Maybe it's a start, but Dybala won't come fortunately and B.Fernandes is probably only portuguese paper shit

The lack of Fellaini & Herrera replacement, even with the signing of AWB and Maguire will bring us down, with lost of positions in comparison with last season

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Maybe it's a start, but Dybala won't come fortunately and B.Fernandes is probably only portuguese paper shit

The lack of Fellaini & Herrera replacement, even with the signing of AWB and Maguire will bring us down, with lost of positions in comparison with last season
It wouldn’t be so much of a worry if we had young players to compensate. Midfield is actually where we are quite light in terms of midfield talent, unless it’s offensive midfielder which we have quite a few of.