Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

kidbob

I don’t get these types of statements. Liverpool and City were miles ahead last season. We are yet to see whether they will be miles ahead this season. I’m not a fan of putting points on the board for teams before they have actually gone out and won them.
If Haaland stays fit then City are going to piss it. That is a simple fact. Every game City dropped points in last season was because they couldn't convert chances, now they have the best of that in their team. If he stays fit all year then no team gets within 10 points of them.

BigDycheEnergy

Depending on how quickly Haaland adjusts, Spurs have the best attack in the league by far. Combine that with Conte's demanding nature in terms of hard work and defending and you have a dangerous combination. But I don't think that they are good enough to win the league. Pep will continue to sleep-walk his way to 90 points or more.

I can see Spurs getting a cheeky 2nd place, though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If Haaland stays fit then City are going to piss it. That is a simple fact. Every game City dropped points in last season was because they couldn't convert chances, now they have the best of that in their team. If he stays fit all year then no team gets within 10 points of them.
I'm leaning towards this line of thinking as well. My only hope is that in 2019 we signed no one and City signed Rodri and possibly Cancelo? We ended up 18 points ahead of them at the end. Do they have three in a row in them? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not convinced Conte will be able to bridge the gap but I think spurs are capable of getting closer and taking third maybe. Their focus should be winning a trophy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There are no ‘simple facts’ in football that are yet to occur. ESPECIALLY simple facts of a Bundesliga coming to the PL and being amazing.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Season 22-23 probably not but they will aim to get as close as possible and learn themselves, in order to have a proper go in 23-24… that’s Conte in a nutshell, you all know him already. Will he win the PL with Spurs then? They are going to need 75 points aka 25/38 wins as a baseline and get 10-15 points more to have a chance.

With the PL competition and the pretty open games, the congested schedule, his substantial inability to prepare more than one game per week, the pressure from being eventually in the race with a squad unused to win… yes, he can, imho, but 25 very good players are needed to allow him rotations, fresh legs and enough depth.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
When did Richarlison become so good.

Must have missed this era.

Hasn't had a better season than rashford from memory. Could be wrong
Literally the season just gone…?

Richarlison has also been playing in a crap Everton side surrounded by mediocrity - Rashford has played his entire career surrounded by top players.

Look at Richarlison for Brazil and ask yourself whether Rashford would walk into the current Brazil set up.

Dazzmondo

We'll see by the end of the window but right now my personal opinion is that I could see them finishing above Liverpool but not City.

#W203_Red

There is perhaps a counter argument that the other games which they dominated they did so by flooding midfield areas of the pitch and overloading teams which having Haaland up front May stop them from doing so easily thus dropping points in those games.

I personally think the league is going to be hugely competitive this year, especially the condensed calendar.

With Conte, Kane and Son staying fit then Spurs have a great chance but not convinced Lloris and the defensive options right now are strong enough to be in the mix at the end and get over the line.

City to edge it but it feels like a season where two top teams are in transition and lots of other good sides making progress in the transfer window. Probably the hardest season to predict a top four in my memory.

Reactions: Sultan

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he has the Spurs squad with Vertonghen and Aldeweireld, Dembele, Rose, Walker/Trippier then he has chance to at least challenging the league but with this current squad is NO!! NO CHANCE to even challenging the league even after adding Bissouma, Perisic, Spence, Richarlison and Lenglet.

However, according to Tuchel, we will have 5 teams challenging the league next season (City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, and United). Let's see who's right.

izec

Not consistent enough compared to the other two.

They have done brilliant work this transfer window. I can see them finishing third or second and maybe winning a cup. But not sure they will challenge properly for the title or win it. But lets see, they would need some luck, but i doubt City and Pool will struggle.

DiceRoller

There are no ‘simple facts’ in football that are yet to occur. ESPECIALLY simple facts of a Bundesliga coming to the PL and being amazing.
i don’t think I’ve ever been more confident in a player being a success.
Not a Bundesliga player coming, it’s a generational world class talent. He’s amazing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he's a bit overrated on here. Finishing above Liverpool I think is unrealistic. At best they'll be competing with Chelsea, ourselves potentially, and Arsenal for those two extra spots. But he's definitely capable of winning them a cup.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
i don’t think I’ve ever been more confident in a player being a success.
Not a Bundesliga player coming, it’s a generational world class talent. He’s amazing.
Until he isn’t. I just find it funny that no matter how many years people watch football, these lines of thought never change. Despite loads of recurring evidence as to why City walking the league is jot guaranteed, Haaland walking the league is mot guaranteed, people never learn.

I would back Haaland to do well too. But I’m not giving it to him until he actually goes and does it.

Someone

Something
If City and Liverpool turn up again, Spurs won't have a chance. But Conte is their best shot at it, and you never know.

DiceRoller

Until he isn’t. I just find it funny that no matter how many years people watch football, these lines of thought never change. Despite loads of recurring evidence as to why City walking the league is jot guaranteed, Haaland walking the league is mot guaranteed, people never learn.

I would back Haaland to do well too. But I’m not giving it to him until he actually goes and does it.
Not sure your point. Do you want me to hedge my bets and say that even though I think he’s one of the most talented players I’ve seen with a proven goalscoring record I should say I don’t think he’ll be great just in case he turns out to not be great?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure your point. Do you want me to hedge my bets and say that even though I think he’s one of the most talented players I’ve seen with a proven goalscoring record I should say I don’t think he’ll be great just in case he turns out to not be great?
Never mind then.

SirScholes

Not a hope in hell
They were gifted a top 4 finish due to everyone except Liverpool and city being absolute pony

the_cliff

I said Conte would finish top 4 the day after Spurs got him and I was ridiculed on here.

I'll probably be ridiculed again but Conte will have Spurs challenging next season.

Paul_Scholes18

I think Spurs got a deadly attack that can be efficient. They have a manager that can win titles.

Although what City got is Pep the best league manager ever by stats just before SAF and KDB the best midfielder in the world.

Spurs midfield is not as creative and has more defensive balance with 5 defenders. In big games I think Spurs can beat City again, but when it comes to open up defensive teams they might fail.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I'm not sure of your point. Spurs could win it. That applies for any club in the league (with varying levels of probability). Is there any reason why they should be given favorite status, or given a statistically significant chance of winning the trophy, before a ball has been kicked, considering clubs like City and Liverpool and Chelsea and United exist?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I said Conte would finish top 4 the day after Spurs got him and I was ridiculed on here.

I'll probably be ridiculed again but Conte will have Spurs challenging next season.
Everyone loves their "i said this and I was ridiculed" posts, when the reality would be one or two posters disagreeing with the post at that time .

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Everyone loves their "i said this and I was ridiculed" posts, when the reality would be one or two posters disagreeing with the post at that time .
Well majority didn't think spurs have enough to overhaul United and arsenal especially when he took over they were no where near top 4. So poster entitled to say that.

Conte certainly will make them 80-85 point team. That's enough for title only if city and liverpool failed to deliver their consistency in past five seasons.Chelsea and United not come in this equation yet. Have to see how they perform in transfer market.And arsenal i am not yet sure how arteta will perform under pressure.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well majority didn't think spurs have enough to overhaul United and arsenal especially when he took over they were no where near top 4. So poster entitled to say that.

Conte certainly will make them 80-85 point team. That's enough for title only if city and liverpool failed to deliver their consistency in past five seasons.Chelsea and United not come in this equation yet. Have to see how they perform in transfer market.And arsenal i am not yet sure how arteta will perform under pressure.
Was he "ridiculed"? Agreeing and disagreeing is part and parcel of forums.

Flexdegea

Literally the season just gone…?

Richarlison has also been playing in a crap Everton side surrounded by mediocrity - Rashford has played his entire career surrounded by top players.

Look at Richarlison for Brazil and ask yourself whether Rashford would walk into the current Brazil set up.

He had a better season, but don't think hes had a season where it's been better than Rashford best. Rashford has a few that are superior to his.

Don't know playing with better players means much either, rashford been one of our main players for years especially on the attacking front. I'm not expecting Richarlison to start banging out son, Kane like numbers because he playing with them now.

Rashford played more games across competitions, but even has more assists.

I'm not sure what Brazil would do, but rashford was a starter for a team as good as Brazil on the international stage up to last season.

As I say, not sure why Richarlison going for 60mil all of a sudden he's one of the best about. I rate him, but if rashford can get back to any sort of form this season I don't know how it's Richarlison >>>>>> rashford and wee miles of them, when stats aren't backing it

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They are in the mix for 3rd/4th with Chelsea, us and Arsenal. Probably another team will creep into that mix like West Ham.

City and Liverpool are the 2 best teams in Europe. However Liverpool are due a drop off and Mane will be a bigger loss than some may believe.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not sure of your point. Spurs could win it. That applies for any club in the league (with varying levels of probability). Is there any reason why they should be given favorite status, or given a statistically significant chance of winning the trophy, before a ball has been kicked, considering clubs like City and Liverpool and Chelsea and United exist?
No, why would anyone do that?

iato89

Liverpool wont be the same without mane, even if nunez goes well they wont eb as strong and all of the below teams including us will strenghten and some have already strengthened quite well, I can see City winning the league and 2-3-4 all up for grabs

Wayne's World

No messing around with Spurs this season, got some good players in and aren't using the excuse of every fan in the league when they say "We'll just wait for Klopp and Pep to go first before we try to win the league". They are stepping up to the challenge and fair play to them.

Still think they miss a number 10 and a top quality centre-back to win the league but they are getting much closer

Abraxas

If there is one man in world football that can do it, he's at the helm. Conte is not necessarily an idealist. I see a manager that is very good at adapting to the players he has and that is a proven winner. I think that's an advantage at Spurs as while he is getting heavily backed, it will still rely on getting the best out of key players and buying smartly rather than buying a whole squad of absolute quality directed at a style of football.

Is it likely? No, of course not. They've got a massive gap to bridge, City and Liverpool are not standing still and have managers of the same echelon. There isn't a reason to be confident they'll win a title but they'll probably win something.

Whatever the ingredient is that separates the good managers from the great ones, he seems to have it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Their expenditure and their stadium debt makes me feel like if they fail to quality for champions league next season, they might go bankrupt.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I still reckon Conte wont make peak Spurs as Jose did (by way of form) where they looked pretty great to watch. Obviously Jose nosedived quickly, so as long as Conte keeps consistent, hel do well

Sylar

I think if they didn't have champions League or Europe it would help
Wasn't that the case when he won it for Chelsea? It allowed the focus on pretty much just the league and to get on a huge roll (was something like 11 wins in a row)

kthanksbye

Same, I kept saying we should hire him if we want to stand a chance to finish top 4. When Spurs got him, I could've put money on them finishing top 4.
I don't think they'll challenge for the title in the coming season, City is just too OP for everyone. But, as long as he's at Spurs, they'll be in the top 4. maybe even finish 2nd.