Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Simple question really. I’m not one of those who begins a season having already ring-fenced first and second place for City and Liverpool, every season is different and they will have to go out and do it all over again.

Now Spurs are, of course, ‘Spurs’ - but Antonio Conte is also Antonio Conte. Pochettino took them closer than ever, and to a man, much of their first XI can compete with any in the league. They has the highest scoring front two in the league last season, and have started well this summer.

Is it beyond Conte to get them seriously fighting for the PL title?

Dolf

Spurs will do great this year if Kane and Son stay in form. A title might be pushing things too far though. But I can definitely see them finish 2nd or 3rd

TheLiverBird

Conte is the kind of manager where if you back….you’ll win things, cups, leagues

so yea, he can

As much as what anything is possible, I doubt he’d win a league title next season, but just in general terms, if spurs back him, then yes of course he can

his record elsewhere backs that up

kthanksbye

Not with Pep in the same league with City.
They're basically a very competently run club, with lots of money, who have appointed the best manager of the generation. So it's going to be an uphill task for anyone.
As much as I rate Conte, I don't think Spurs can even compete with City. They can fight for the 2nd spot with Liverpool, and that will be a very successful season for them.

Oranges038

No.

Up top they are fine, midfield is pretty average. At the back Lloris is on the wane and their defence just isn't good enough.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
No.

By the time Guardiola and Klopp have both left, Conte himself will be long gone.

Adamsk7

They can win a cup. Conte is a very determined man and backed with the players he wants, he can definitely get them challenging.
However, I think City are just too good and Haaland adds that extra dimension - I think he’s going to beast our league.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think they can push for 3rd and get closer to Liverpool and City but they're still far off them which is testament to how good the former two are. I'd be surprised if they didn't win a trophy this year though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No.

By the time Guardiola and Klopp have both left, Conte himself will be long gone.
I don’t buy this theory that the title must be reserved for either Pep or Klopp so long as they are in England. So long as the ball is round, no coach can simply have a monopoly on the game. Other top coaches will find ways of their own, and City and Liverpool can only have so many footballers at their disposal too. Even if they get the best out of theirs, they can’t stop other top managers getting the best out of theirs too. And Conte has already beaten City in head to heads, they are not unbeatable - they are a team of good footballers with a good manager, but they are not the only one, and they need to go out every season and be the best all over again.

Infra-red

It's not impossible - Spurs have been the third best team in England since he took over. That being said, the gap to City/Liverpool is significant and probably too much to bridge this summer. They have a good chance of finishing third and will give anyone a game on their day, but winning the league - I just don't see it.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Simple question really. I’m not one of those who begins a season having already ring-fenced first and second place for City and Liverpool, every season is different and they will have to go out and do it all over again.

Now Spurs are, of course, ‘Spurs’ - but Antonio Conte is also Antonio Conte. Pochettino took them closer than ever, and to a man, much of their first XI can compete with any in the league. They has the highest scoring front two in the league last season, and have started well this summer.

Is it beyond Conte to get them seriously fighting for the PL title?
I said (in the Spurs thread) that Conte would get Spurs top 4 last season when he was announced and I think he will split the top 2 if not win the title.

Being a WC year and with the tournament in the middle of the domestic league will have a greater impact than most think. With that as my crazy logic I think we will see an outsider claim the title this year, im hoping its us but Conte who is so good at getting a title out of a club would be my bet.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If it was anyone but Spurs he was managing I’d have him as an outside favourite. Conte is a domestic freak, man. Sign him the geriatric players he wants or the weird system players (although his signings this summer seem more conventional) and he delivers.

He might finish dead last in a CL group or embarrass in a cup tie, but the league is his bread and butter.

Isn’t Conte the last manager not named Pep or Klopp to win the PL?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t know why I’m quite sure this is going to happen.

I get that it’s spurs - but Conte wins titles in 2 seasons at nearly every club to the point it feels wrong to bet that against him.

Buying players like bissouma, lenglet, Richarlison to add to son , Kane and others isn’t much of a joke.

I also look at how Pep’s basically changing tactics with Haaland as a striker and have a gut feeling that Pep won’t be able to get the best out of a striker like that either to the point that it effects seasonal results or performances.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Maybe, but not this season. Even with their additions/rumoured additions their squad still looks a bit meh to me.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Conte is the kind of manager where if you back….you’ll win things, cups, leagues

so yea, he can

As much as what anything is possible, I doubt he’d win a league title next season, but just in general terms, if spurs back him, then yes of course he can

his record elsewhere backs that up
Think he's won what, 1 domestic cup?

If he repeats that at Spurs, he'll be seen as an absolute legend, and can ride off as a hero.

As for the league....cant see it. All I hear about is how good a window they have had, but who of actual top quality have they added?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At the end of the day, Liverpool hadn’t won the league in 30 years. They got a good manager, not one recognised as the greatest ever, and just got on with it. They didn’t sign a team of Balon’Dor winners. People like to act as if Pep and Klopp own football, they are not the only two top managers. Conte himself won the league with both in the PL, and I’m sure he would also have won titles if he had been at City instead of Pep.

The right for a top coach to buy players and coach them into a successful team and system is not reserved for two managers. And in Conte, we have what is clearly another elite manager in his own right being allowed to build the team he wants in his own image. But apparently he simply ‘can’t’ win the league because nobody other than Pep or Klopp are allowed to?

Wilt

Can’t imagine a title challenge, but barring injuries look good for another top 4 finish.

miked99

No chance. They were worse than us for large chunks of the season. Showed a good run of form towards the end of the season but a title challenge is never happening.

Flexdegea

No, they didn't impress me much last season. They got the job done end of season, but still some weak areas in their team.

But they've got the firepower up front, so expect them to be a match for most teams.

Don't think city and Liverpool will run away with it either. Seems to me on paper there is going to be a serious amount of harder matches for teams in the top half.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's an excellent league manager, but if Kane/Son get injured at some point, I don't know if they can keep afloat in a title challenge without both of them fit and firing.

Also, City/Liverpool are really good at smashing the minnows consistently. I think Spurs will just drop too many silly points to truly contend.

But I've never subscribed to the notion that City and Liverpool are unbeatable and that we should give up on winning league titles with Pep/Klopp at the helm.

Of course, our recruitment of players/managers has been horrid.

Lemon Moon

It's possible but I don't think we can look past City at the moment.
They will finish above us easily I think, maybe they can get 2nd or 3rd this season?

OmarUnited4ever

I don’t buy this theory that the title must be reserved for either Pep or Klopp so long as they are in England. So long as the ball is round, no coach can simply have a monopoly on the game. Other top coaches will find ways of their own, and City and Liverpool can only have so many footballers at their disposal too. Even if they get the best out of theirs, they can’t stop other top managers getting the best out of theirs too. And Conte has already beaten City in head to heads, they are not unbeatable - they are a team of good footballers with a good manager, but they are not the only one, and they need to go out every season and be the best all over again.
I agree with the bolded, Pep & Klopp wouldn't guarantee a league title to teams like United & Arsenal as they are presently constructed.

But Liverpool as presently constructed plus Klopp, and City as presently constructed plus Pep, are by far the clear favorites for the title, of course, anything can happen during a season, Conte might get Spurs going, or Tuchel might find a perfect formula if they get in few players in Chelsea, however, for now, it's hard to look beyond Pep's City & Klopp's Liverpool, as they have been going at it since the last 5 seasons.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I'd like to see them winning somekind of a cup. It would do good for them, but league is too unreachable. Pep has immense squad depth, Liverpool is too good, Chelsea might distrupt the two if they have a successful window, so difficult to see any chance for them running for the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah. They could be somewhere around the top for a bit if the best teams start poorly but Spurs aren't really going to challenge. Conte is brilliant but not a magician. They'll be in a top 3/4 race

LoneStar

Definitely the third best team + manager combination for me. You never know, if City and Liverpool have trouble at the start adjusting to departures and new signings, he might have an outside chance of winning the league.

Even if they are top by December, they'll have to be ridiculously consistent in the second half cause City tend to finish strong in the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree but Spurs being that club look dodgy to me. They aren't Perisic and Richarlison away from running the best teams close.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Yes, I agree with what you’re saying, there is no guarantee that City or Liverpool will win the league. But given Conte never hangs around for longer than a few seasonos, I can’t see the pendulum swinging enough in the next 18-24 months to suggest they won’t win the next 2 at least, between them (unfortunately).

AndySmith1990

Not unless Pep and Klopp leave and City & Liverpool implode in the next couple years. Even then I'd fancy us to place higher with Ten Hag

UpWithRivers

I mean its possible - Leicester won it didn't they? Every now and again all the top teams are having problems at the same time and you can sneak in. Wouldn't bet my house on it any time soon though. Liverpool is a top, top team and City have one in 5 of the last titles. So good luck with that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree but Spurs being that club look dodgy to me. They aren't Perisic and Richarlison away from running the best teams close.
Think it’s closer to Perisic, Richarlison, Bissouma and Lenglet as it stands. And more a case of a full season under a manager who has no reason to feel that he is inferior to the two that are spoken of as Gods. Those managers don’t fill their teams with Balon’Dor winners, and Conte isn’t required to either. Most of their players are celebrated after the fact, but at the point of signing, they are no better than the calibre of player any other top club signs, with the exception of a few.

City and Liverpool, of course, have better players in some positions. But not every position. If Conte can get his team and system to function according to his vision, then I don’t see why he can’t compete. Yes, City went and bought Haaland, but Spurs already had Haaland so didn’t need to. Same for Nunez. They also have their own Mane/Salah in Son. Who knows what to expect from the likes of Romero this season, who is highly rated and bought for big money. Is it only Ruben Dias that is allowed to come in a be a successful defensive signing, because Pep bought him? Lenglet too.

I’m not saying Spurs have the best team, but they have players who are in and around the quality of their rivals, and a manager who is in the same category too. I don’t think Guardiola has to win the league just because he’s Guardiola, and Klopp has only won the PL once, same as Conte.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes, I agree with what you’re saying, there is no guarantee that City or Liverpool will win the league. But given Conte never hangs around for longer than a few seasonos, I can’t see the pendulum swinging enough in the next 18-24 months to suggest they won’t win the next 2 at least, between them (unfortunately).
Yes, but it’s more about the reason there is ‘no guarantee’. It’s not that there is no guarantee because ‘this is football and anything can happen’. There is no guarantee on the basis that there are more than two great managers now and they also don’t have all the top quality players in the league. That’s why there is no guarantee.