Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

allen7

No one is going to win the league as long as pep is here.

Wilt

Kane, Son, Kulusevski, Richarlison …..compare these to Utd’s forwards ffs!

saivet

The squad is alright and in the pre Klopp and Pep era I think they could be contenders. I can't see them winning the title though, I think their squad is still relative weak in defence and midfield and while their attack is getting better, I think Son and Kane are still so important for them that one injury causes them big problems.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Kane and Son is probably league's best. Kulu and Richarlison are just okay . Sancho will have a better numbers than Richarlison this season.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not that much of a difference in quality.

Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Martial
Assuming the United forwards are on top form then it would be close.
But who can remember when they were, Ronaldo excepted.
Martial has been a waste of space.
Radford form last season was terrible.
And Sancho has potential but has been a big disappointment.
Hopefully Ten Hag can wave a magic wand and get those playing well on a consistent basis.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well yes in terms of the signings we are making to improve the squad then clearly we are now heading that direction. It's not where you came from that matters, it's where you are going.
I actually agree with you on this. People need to stop thinking about first XI's and a few back ups. You need quality right through your squad, otherwise you get in the situation we got in last year where as soon as
2 or 3 of the first XI are out the quality drops drastically.

City have shown in a 60 game season lots of players can get 2000+ minutes a season. It's a tough juggling act though, as players just generally want to play. But with 5 subs coming in, and a World Cup mid-season, there should be plenty minutes to go round.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I think they can compete but I don’t think signing Richarlison is going to see them over the line. He isn’t really much of an upgrade on Moura for example.

Lee565

Fair play to him he has definitely created probably the strongest spurs squad since potchettino, probably even better in terms of depth and some how has levy actually spending money, the lenglet signing is win/win really with it just being a loan and playing in a back 3 will benefit the player.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I would certainly take Spurs' group but I think its closer than people make out.

Two years ago, nobody was saying Son was streets ahead of Rashford. His last two years have blown Rashford out of the water, but Son is 30 and Rashford is 24 so assuming the next couple years will go like the last two is pretty dubious. Kulusevski had a fantastic spring but there was a lot of XG over performance involved, especially getting 8 assists on an xA of 3.5. I definitely don't think he has shown more than Sancho in his career. Nine months ago Sancho was one of the hottest young properties in Europe and Kulu was a failed Juve transfer.

In the end, a lot really rides on the assumption that Kane/Son will sustain their incredible performance level over the last two years.

Son, for example, before 20-21 had played > 2500 minutes in a league season only once in his career and had ranged from 18-21 goal contributions in his prior four seasons. Last two years he has been an ironman playing over 3000 league minutes each year and averaged 30 goal contributions. Its been absolute peak performance but now he is entering typical post-peak age for a wideman. You can't just assume he keeps up that level. The same is true for Kane. He has played a massive number of minutes the last two years nearly injury free and has been fantastic barring the Nuno period when he was sulking and seemed a bit jaded. But it wasn't that long ago he was missing 10 league matches a season due to annual ankle injuries and at 29 he is becoming a decline risk as well.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I would certainly take Spurs' group but I think its closer than people make out.

Two years ago, nobody was saying Son was streets ahead of Rashford. His last two years have blown Rashford out of the water, but Son is 30 and Rashford is 24 so assuming the next couple years will go like the last two is pretty dubious. Kulusevski had a fantastic spring but there was a lot of XG over performance involved, especially getting 8 assists on an xA of 3.5. I definitely don't think he has shown more than Sancho in his career. Nine months ago Sancho was one of the hottest young properties in Europe and Kulu was a failed Juve transfer.

In the end, a lot really rides on the assumption that Kane/Son will sustain their incredible performance level over the last two years.

Son, for example, before 20-21 had played > 2500 minutes in a league season only once in his career and had ranged from 18-21 goal contributions in his prior four seasons. Last two years he has been an ironman playing over 3000 league minutes each year and averaged 30 goal contributions. Its been absolute peak performance but now he is entering typical post-peak age for a wideman. You can't just assume he keeps up that level. The same is true for Kane. He has played a massive number of minutes the last two years nearly injury free and has been fantastic barring the Nuno period when he was sulking and seemed a bit jaded. But it wasn't that long ago he was missing 10 league matches a season due to annual ankle injuries and at 29 he is becoming a decline risk as well.
Good thing we just signed a player to ease their workload then.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Not winning the League no. But a cup and CL spot is looking a good bet.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Good thing we just signed a player to ease their workload then.
Yeah, its the smart thing to do. But 1000 minutes less of Kane and Son on the pitch and 1000 minutes more of Richarlison on the pitch is still a downgrade.

Stadjer

No there isnt.
Yes there is.

Son is one of the best players in the league for years now. Kane is one of the best strikers in Europe for years now. Rashford hasnt been in form for almost 2 seasons. Martial has been shit for 2 years.

The swedish guy had a better first season than Sancho although i think Sancho has more potential/footballing talent.

Ronaldo is old but still very good. However he isnt that much better than Son and/Kane anymore... if he is better at all.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Esch, come on!

Kane 2022 > Ronaldo 2022
Son 2022 > Sancho 2022
Kulusevski 2022 > Rashford 2022
Richarlison 2022 >Martial 2022

... Peresic 2022 > Elanga 2022

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes there is.

Son is one of the best players in the league for years now. Kane is one of the best strikers in Europe for years now. Rashford hasnt been in form for almost 2 seasons. Martial has been shit for 2 years.

The swedish guy had a better first season than Sancho although i think Sancho has more potential/footballing talent.

Ronaldo is old but still very good. However he isnt that much better than Son and/Kane anymore... if he is better at all.
But the players for us haven't had a proper perm coach whereas spurs have.

What we do know is the likes of Rashford and Martial are capable of 20 plus goals a season, just like Son. And funily enough Sancho would be considered higher ceiling and potential than both of those players.

Thats also before we consider Cristiano Ronaldo and any other singing we bring in the forward area.

We also have more creativity through the likes of Bruno and possibly even Eriksen when the window is done.

OleGunnar20

Certainly possible, sure. I can see there being a surprise winner this year, with Spurs / Chelsea being the obvious candidates.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, its the smart thing to do. But 1000 minutes less of Kane and Son on the pitch and 1000 minutes more of Richarlison on the pitch is still a downgrade.
No it's about not playing them against lower table teams and give enough rest between all of them. That will enhance Kane and son s general output in big games.

Five sub rule also favoured heavy rotation and yet keep their performance at high level.

Reiver

I could see him doing it. Looks like Spurs are backing him. The odds are against him but 8f anyone can, he can.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
No it's about not playing them against lower table teams and give enough rest between all of them. That will enhance Kane and son s general output in big games.

Five sub rule also favoured heavy rotation and yet keep their performance at high level.
Both things are true. They need to rest them more so they won’t break down and because of the insane fixture schedule. At the same time Spurs have benefited massively from both Kane and Son starting 35+ matches while producing at elite levels the last two years. It’s unsustainable but has also saved them.

tomaldinho1

Two managers have done it. Conte and Klopp and they are the most likely ones to do it. Us or Chelsea can as well with a good season.
Yeah City, Pool, Chelsea I’d say are favourites in that order. United are a bit of an unknown, we could be amazing with a couple of transfers and if ETH is all that, Conte at Spurs is more easy to predict, will draw too many games to win the league but will be right in mix of top four I think.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Thank you OP, I love this thread. It will be bumped so hard when they are not even in the running come January.

Little has changed, other than a past his best Perisic and a decent but certainly not amazing Bissouma. Any time Richarlison plays, they will be weaker than last seasons front 3. They will always disappoint. 4th at best.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Esch, come on!

Kane 2022 > Ronaldo 2022
Son 2022 > Sancho 2022
Kulusevski 2022 > Rashford 2022
Richarlison 2022 >Martial 2022

... Peresic 2022 > Elanga 2022
I did say that I’d definitely take Spurs’ group right now.

The larger point is that if you did the same exercise a year ago you well might think Rashford was roughly equal to Son and you’d definitely put Sancho above Kulu. Predicting the future is hard and you can’t just assume that form over the last 6-12 months is some absolute level for any given player. This is especially true given that Spurs two best forwards are entering the typical decline years for PL forwards. In the summer of 2013 few PL forward pairings looked better than Van Persie and Rooney when they were similarly aged. How did that turn out?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They certainly should be giving the domestic cups a go. Think Conte gave up a bit too easily v Chelsea last season playing Gollini and some reserves in second leg and that Boro defeat was when he was threatening to quit. CL a very long shot but europa league is winnable if they drop into that.

To win league you need 90 + points and really can't see Spurs getting close to that, 75-80 points would be very good season for them and secure 3rd.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I don’t buy this theory that the title must be reserved for either Pep or Klopp so long as they are in England. So long as the ball is round, no coach can simply have a monopoly on the game. Other top coaches will find ways of their own, and City and Liverpool can only have so many footballers at their disposal too. Even if they get the best out of theirs, they can’t stop other top managers getting the best out of theirs too. And Conte has already beaten City in head to heads, they are not unbeatable - they are a team of good footballers with a good manager, but they are not the only one, and they need to go out every season and be the best all over again.
I agree with you. Liverpool and City have very good teams. However, Klopp and Conte have the same amount of PL titles, and Klopp has had 3 times longer in the league than Conte.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

I did say that I’d definitely take Spurs’ group right now.

The larger point is that if you did the same exercise a year ago you well might think Rashford was roughly equal to Son and you’d definitely put Sancho above Kulu. Predicting the future is hard and you can’t just assume that form over the last 6-12 months is some absolute level for any given player. This is especially true given that Spurs two best forwards are entering the typical decline years for PL forwards. In the summer of 2013 few PL forward pairings looked better than Van Persie and Rooney when they were similarly aged. How did that turn out?
Rashford was not roughly equal to Son a year ago? Son has been top for 5 seasons or so, eventough his goal producition has increased.

Kulusevski was young player of the year before he joined Juve and was highly rated. For a Swede its no suprise he flourished in the right environment.

But I would say most importantly the difference between 30-year old Kane and 38-year old Ronaldo is quite huge.

Flexdegea

Genuinely not sure if serious…

There’s a HUGE difference in the quality of Sancho, Rashford and Martial vs Son, Kulu and Richarlison!

When did Richarlison become so good.

Must have missed this era.

Hasn't had a better season than rashford from memory. Could be wrong

kidbob

To answer the thread title then no chance. Spurs have done brilliant deals and are now the 3rd best squad in the league with the 3rd best manager so I expect them to finish 3rd and do well in the CL. However as long as Klopp and Pep are here then they simply aren't winning the league. I expect, if Haaland stays fit, then City are 10 points ahead of Pool, who are 15 ahead of Spurs/Chelsea. With us and Arsenal battling it out for 5th. Conte is great and Spurs should now expect to challenge but Klopp and Pep are way too far ahead and a fit Haaland means I seriously don't know where City drop points at all.