Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

UnitedFire

Are Chelsea that far ahead, if at all?
16 points and 43 goal difference. I'd say that's a fair chunk.

The transfer window will have a big say, but here today they are unquestionably better.

If a new manager can turns 6 losses into wins he is doing an incredible job.

In reality you need raw materials and we don't have them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

The transfer window will have a big say, but here today they are unquestionably better.

Conte only took over part way through. I think they'll be better than Chelsea this year.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

Eh? We're in the "Can Conte win a title for Spurs" thread, no?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You need consistency to win league, winning just big games or head to head is not enough.
Conte s biggest plus is he won most against mid table and lower table teams in his previous jobs. That's why he also one of the best in terms of league managers.

In past decade he is the only rival for pep in terms winning league titles as a manager. He won five league titles and lost titles in three seasons. Pep lost in two and won seven.

Of course he need to find that consistency with his spurs team but it's not beyond his reach in my honest opinion.He is master in maneauvering teams in leagues. We will see. For me he is second favourite to win league.

Righteous Steps

Conte s biggest plus is he won most against mid table and lower table teams in his previous jobs. That's why he also one of the best in terms of league managers.

In past decade he is the only rival for pep in terms winning league titles as a manager. He won five league titles and lost titles in three seasons. Pep lost in two and won seven.

Of course he need to find that consistency with his spurs team but it's not beyond his reach in my honest opinion.He is master in maneauvering teams in leagues. We will see. For me he is second favourite to win league.
Conte never went against prime Liverpool and City, and he has collected the rest of the leagues in Serie A which is less impressive.

To say he is the 2nd favourite to win the league is ridiculously bizarre, Spurs have never reached 90+ points in their history,, and Conte has managed it once in a league that contained a City and Liverpool sides still in their ascendency.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Conte never went against prime Liverpool and City, and he has collected the rest of the leagues in Serie A which is less impressive.

To say he is the 2nd favourite to win the league is ridiculously bizarre, Spurs have never reached 90+ points in their history,, and Conte has managed it once in a league that contained a City and Liverpool sides still in their ascendency.
That's why I said it's not impossible for him i just said he is capable to challenge title okay odds are against him to win league but again he proved he is capable of winning league titles against odds.

All the jobs he took were challenging it's not cake walk. Well Conte will go this season against prime pep and klopp s city and liverpool. Prime klopp s liverpool capable of finishing below 75 points as well. Prime pep also capable of finishing below 82 points. We will see.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
He can, but it will take an incredible set of circumstances for that to happen. With Pep and Klopp in the picture, the number of points it takes to win the league requires a crazy amount of consistency that not many flawed teams can manage over the course of a full season. He got 93 points when he won the league with Chelsea (which is very good even by today's standards), but that was helped by the fact that Chelsea wasn't in Europe that season.
Unless City and Liverpool get wrecked by injuries, it's highly unlikely.

m1tch

Where would Kane go? I see no big club going for him except us. City got Haaland. PSG got Messi, Mbappe, Neymar. Barca no way.
Real maybe, but Benzema still got some more years.

Bayern they got Mane and I doubt they spend big on Kane. Juve got Vlahovic. Inter got Lukaku.

I do not think he would join Chelsea.
Manchester United might need a striker if Ronaldo leaves!

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I think that's a step too far but at this moment I would have them favorites for third.

Caesar2290

People overate Conte like crazy. Spurs are already title challengers under him. Even Klopp and Guardiola needed a second or two before they transformed their teams into the current City and Pool.

His major PL win was a core group of well drilled Mourinho players who had an interim Ole moment in the season they won the title. The season after that barely finished 4th. Of course the fanboys will lap up the narrative that he wasn't 100% backed and that was the reason he couldn't even defend the title.

Then we have his Italian league exploits. With Inter, he lost the title challenge to a Juve side led by fecking Sarri after spending something like 150 mil on players. Won it the next year though, after Juve completely imploded. His 4 back to back title are impressive if you take into account that Seria A was a mess and a power vaccum at the time. Both Milan clubs were losing their best players while Juve was coming into prominence. Good manager, but was helped quiet a bit by circumstances of the clubs he managed.

Not on the same level as Anceloti, Pep, Klopp and even Flick.

One thing Conte is good at is raising the morale. That's why he is so good in the league. And that's why he loses out in the CL every single time, because it's more of a tactical battle sprinkled with luck.

With that in mind I think top 4 is his ceiling.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People overate Conte like crazy. Spurs are already title challengers under him. Even Klopp and Guardiola needed a second or two before they transformed their teams into the current City and Pool.

His major PL win was a core group of well drilled Mourinho players who had an interim Ole moment in the season they won the title. The season after that barely finished 4th. Of course the fanboys will lap up the narrative that he wasn't 100% backed and that was the reason he couldn't even defend the title.

Then we have his Italian league exploits. With Inter, he lost the title challenge to a Juve side led by fecking Sarri after spending something like 150 mil on players. Won it the next year though, after Juve completely imploded. His 4 back to back title are impressive if you take into account that Seria A was a mess and a power vaccum at the time. Both Milan clubs were losing their best players while Juve was coming into prominence. Good manager, but was helped quiet a bit by circumstances of the clubs he managed.

One thing Conte is good at is raising the morale. That's why he is so good in the league. And that's why he loses out in the CL every single time, because it's more of a tactical battle sprinkled with luck.

Good grief.

SirScholes

I agree with all this
More chance he’ll leave through the season than win the league

Caesar2290

Good grief.
I seem to remember how cocky you lot were when Mourinho was appointed and you were top of a table for while.

I guess you lot never learn. Kind of like your rivals from across town...

Caesar2290

I agree with all this
More chance he’ll leave through the season than win the league
Exactly. They seem to forget that when things looked in doubt, Conte was already throwing their club under the bus and making noises that he is about to jump ship.

Now that he scraped Top4, he's already challenging for title. Good grief indeed.

FatTails

They do have a small chance. I’d say City 80%, Spurs and Liverpool 5% each, Chelsea with about 4% chance, and 1% the league gets cancelled like in 2019/20.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Exactly. They seem to forget that when things looked in doubt, Conte was already throwing their club under the bus and making noises that he is about to jump ship.

Now that he scraped Top4, he's already challenging for title. Good grief indeed.
You will note that not one single Spurs fan has said we will win the league. The question is 'can' it happen and most people agree it could but it's very unlikely. If that's cocky then ok.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They have a better shot at winning the UCL than either the PL or the FA. Especially if Kane regains a Top Top Player status.
Have you seen Conte's record in that competition?

They have a better chance at the league, even with City and Liverpool there (who I feel will both inadvertently weaken themselves by losing the false 9 system, the latter even more so with Mane going too).

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

People also under rate Conte. You talk about him as if 5 titles in 7 years isn't a great achievement. Additionally, he has twice taken teams from outside the top 6 to the league title the following season. Juve from 7th to Champions (with two follow ups; plus he put in the foundations for the nine) and Chelsea 10th to 1st (ok, Chelsea were Champions a year before that but he still had Pep and Klopp in the league; I mean Pep should've definitely have beaten him that year.)

Then we get to his time with Italy where he took a really poor side and gave them confidence and had them start winning again.

Personally, I don't think he wins Spurs the league, but that is more to do with Spurs and their mentality issues than him and the fact Spurs aren't as good as the Dippers or City.

That said, put any of Pep, Klopp and Conte in charge of the current Spurs team and he is the manager you would say has the best chance of winning the league with that side.

Last edited:

SirScholes

You will note that not one single Spurs fan has said we will win the league. The question is 'can' it happen and most people agree it could but it's very unlikely. If that's cocky then ok.
Yet some are saying they are on par with a Liverpool team that wasn’t far away from a quadruple
All because they signed a average Brazilian that scored 6 goals from open play

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
People also under rate Conte. You talk about him as if 5 titles in 7 years isn't a great achievement. Additionally, he has twice taken teams from outside the top 6 to the league title the following season. Juve from 7th to Champions (with two follow ups; plus he put in the foundations for the nine) and Chelsea 10th to 1st (ok, Chelsea were Champions a year before that but he still had Pep and Klopp in the league; I mean Pep should've definitely have beaten him that year.)

Then we get to his time with Italy where he took a really poor side and gave them confidence and had them start winning again.

Personally, I don't think he wins Spurs the league, but that is more to do with Spurs and their mentality issues than him and the fact Spurs aren't as good as the Dippers or City.

That said, put any of Pep, Klopp and Conte in charge of the current Spurs team and he is the manager you would say has the best chance of winning the league with that side.
Not for me since I don't consider him to be better or as good as the other 2.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yet some are saying they are on par with a Liverpool team that wasn’t far away from a quadruple
All because they signed a average Brazilian that scored 6 goals from open play
Who said Spurs are on par with Liverpool? I must have missed that.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Not for me since I don't consider him to be better or as good as the other 2.
Horses for courses. Klopp and Pep need to build teams in their own image, Conte is much better at building teams and making them better than their sum of parts.

To an extent I can get Pep, but Klopp has only three league titles and has a relatively poor record in finals.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Horses for courses. Klopp and Pep need to build teams in their own image, Conte is much better at building teams and making them better than their sum of parts.

To an extent I can get Pep, but Klopp has only three league titles and has a relatively poor record in finals.
But Conte rarely ever gets to play finals, his record in cup competitions is really not good.
And Klopp would have had more than 3 league titles if Pep wasn't in his way both in the Bundesliga and the PL.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
But Conte rarely ever gets to play finals, his record in cup competitions is really not good.
And Klopp would have had more than 3 league titles if Pep wasn't in his way both in the Bundesliga and the PL.
Personally, I am not saying Conte is the better manager, more that at a team like Spurs he has better skills to theoretically win the league as he actually has a record to do this. I agree that Conte's record in cups is poor and if I had the opportunity to hire either, I would hire Klopp if I were an elite club.

However, the 'if it weren't for Pep' reason is slightly poor. Klopp's Liverpool have been on City's level for a while and he still only has one title. Conte in his two full league seasons with Pep has had the inferior team and won one (his Chelsea stint/not counting last year owing to him not having the full season.)

Arios

Supports
Juventus
As good as Conte is Liverpool and City are too strong to compete for the EPL.
The difference is too big. He'd need a miracle like when Leicest won it

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I think he could possibly win the title this season, serial winner, its a World Cup year so the season will be definitely be disrupted, I don't think him winning it will be as hard as most think. But then again I also think ETH will take us close to the title this season so what do I know :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Personally, I am not saying Conte is the better manager, more that at a team like Spurs he has better skills to theoretically win the league as he actually has a record to do this. I agree that Conte's record in cups is poor and if I had the opportunity to hire either, I would hire Klopp if I were an elite club.

However, the 'if it weren't for Pep' reason is slightly poor. Klopp's Liverpool have been on City's level for a while and he still only has one title. Conte in his two full league seasons with Pep has had the inferior team and won one (his Chelsea stint/not counting last year owing to him not having the full season.)
To be fair, that was Peps first season with City where he got only 78 points. Spurs even finished ahead of them that season.
Since then they average 91 points a season. Bit of a difference.

marktan

I think the signings of Bissouma and Richarlison will help close the gap to Pool in particular but it won't be enough to challenge for the league. City themselves have two first Xi's as good as Spurs' first XI.

Their best bet with the bit of depth they've added is a cup run.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

In Pep's first season, City didn't have a better team than Chelsea IMO.
Chelsea wasn't also playing the CL or Europa league that season, so they focused on the PL.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I think the signings of Bissouma and Richarlison will help close the gap to Pool in particular but it won't be enough to challenge for the league. City themselves have two first Xi's as good as Spurs' first XI.

Their best bet with the bit of depth they've added is a cup run.
This is simply false as City doesn't have 2 equal XI. And also, City's first XI, isn't better than that of Spurs in every position. One can argue that Spurs have better forwards than City.

We need an rvn

This is simply false as City doesn't have 2 equal XI. And also, City's first XI, isn't better than that of Spurs in every position. One can argue that Spurs have better forwards than City.
Spot on, one being you in the mirror mate ;)

just signed Haaland and Alvarez, got de bruyne, foden, da silva, grealish, mahrez vs Kane and son

I can see the argument Kane and son v haaland and pick one of the others for city but city have a plethora of forwards like we used to have in ‘99 and ‘08 they was the envy of everyone. Spurs have 2 players

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Few posts in here
Care to point me in the direction of them? I've been here the entire time and never saw a Spurs fan say Spurs were on par with Liverpool. Either you have read something wrong or you are making stuff up.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spot on, one being you in the mirror mate ;)

just signed Haaland and Alvarez, got de bruyne, foden, da silva, grealish, mahrez vs Kane and son

I can see the argument Kane and son v haaland and pick one of the others for city but city have a plethora of forwards like we used to have in ‘99 and ‘08 they was the envy of everyone. Spurs have 2 players
We have Kulusevski and Richarlison as well, not forgetting Perisic can also play in a forward position. Also Maura as well. I think that is more than 2 though I was never great at maths.

Is De Bruyne a forward? Not sure I'd class him as that - Grealish neither for that matter.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
To be fair, that was Peps first season with City where he got only 78 points. Spurs even finished ahead of them that season.
Since then they average 91 points a season. Bit of a difference.
It was Conte's first season and City on paper had the better side. All the bookies, most posters and media at the start of the season agreed. In fact up until he switch formations everyone thought Chelsea were no where near the title.

In Pep's first season, City didn't have a better team than Chelsea IMO.
Chelsea wasn't also playing the CL or Europa league that season, so they focused on the PL.
On paper City had a better side and it was also Conte's first season outside of Italy/International football.

As I said, my point isn't who is the better manager overall; I would pick Klopp and Pep over Conte in that regard. However, in certain situations I believe Conte to be the better manager and that whilst some people complain that he is over rated, I also hold the view he is under rated by some as he is a marmite type manager.