Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

We need an rvn

We have Kulusevski and Richarlison as well, not forgetting Perisic can also play in a forward position. Also Maura as well. I think that is more than 2 though I was never great at maths.

Is De Bruyne a forward? Not sure I'd class him as that - Grealish neither for that matter.
Not strikers but definitely attacking midfielders I’d argue. Just like I wouldn’t class son as a striker

but in truth I did forget spurs just signed richarlison who would be a great sub for Kane as don’t see how they’d play with both in the XI and son unless spurs played 3 up front like Liverpool

SirScholes

Care to point me in the direction of them? I've been here the entire time and never saw a Spurs fan say Spurs were on par with Liverpool. Either you have read something wrong or you are making stuff up.
No you’re more than capable of scrolling and finding them if you wish I’m sure
I believe in you

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Spot on, one being you in the mirror mate ;)

just signed Haaland and Alvarez, got de bruyne, foden, da silva, grealish, mahrez vs Kane and son

I can see the argument Kane and son v haaland and pick one of the others for city but city have a plethora of forwards like we used to have in ‘99 and ‘08 they was the envy of everyone. Spurs have 2 players
Those are mostly playmakers positionned as wide fowards or false 9. They all work very well together because of how Pep makes them play.
Haaland and Alvarez haven't played for City yet, neither is Alvarez better than Son as of now.

It was Conte's first season and City on paper had the better side. All the bookies, most posters and media at the start of the season agreed. In fact up until he switch formations everyone thought Chelsea were no where near the title.

On paper City had a better side and it was also Conte's first season outside of Italy/International football.

As I said, my point isn't who is the better manager overall; I would pick Klopp and Pep over Conte in that regard. However, in certain situations I believe Conte to be the better manager and that whilst some people complain that he is over rated, I also hold the view he is under rated by some as he is a marmite type manager.
City had the oldest squad ) especially in defense) in the PL in Pep's first season, Sane was settling in, Gundogan was injured, etc... Conté's Chelsea wasn't inferior to that City team that season.
Like i said earlier, the fact that Chelsea had no European competition to compete for that season helped him a lot too.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Not strikers but definitely attacking midfielders I’d argue. Just like I wouldn’t class son as a striker

but in truth I did forget spurs just signed richarlison who would be a great sub for Kane as don’t see how they’d play with both in the XI and son unless spurs played 3 up front like Liverpool
We do play three up front - Kulusevski-Kane-Son.

Fun stat - Dejan Kulusevski registered more goals/assists(13) in the Premier League last season than Jadon Sancho and Jack Grealish combined(12), despite only making his debut in February.

AlexanderTheGreat29

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I hope they can at least challenge for it. It'd be great to see Conte , but it is unlikely

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You’re replying to something from a couple days back petal, be a few pages back now
Your comment was the day before mine?

And you're right of course, its almost impossible to have read a whopping 8 pages or to have realised that only 3 Spurs fans have even commented on this thread and none of us have said anything even moderately close to us being on a par with Liverpool.

SirScholes

Your comment was the day before mine?

And you're right of course, its almost impossible to have read a whopping 8 pages or to have realised that only 3 Spurs fans have even commented on this thread and none of us have said anything even moderately close to us being on a par with Liverpool.
At what point did I say “spurs fans”

Vapor trail

Spurs barely scrapped it into top four and it was the poor form of Arsenal that awarded them the 4th position. Taking that into consideration and the context about the performances for Spurs I don't think they will have the consistency over a 38 game period. The thing with City and Liverpool is that their loss periods are in rare occasions and are always isolated, they don't have a habit of losing consecutively when in bad patches.

Conte also spoke about how big of a challenge it was for them last season. Do Spurs have the manager to win the league absolutely, but they'll need to make a multitude first team world class signings to rival City and Liverpool. Sterling would have been an excellent signing and statement of intent. Midfield doesn't have the technical proficiency of a Chelsea or City. It's not about Spurs being a bad team it's just the level that the top 2 have raised which is even higher given Haaland.

For example Tuchel is easily for me a world class manager and despite a fantastic initial season with Chelsea the following campaign despite strengthening he couldn't even get a sniff at the title.

I think in any other premier League era this Spurs team would certainly push a title challenge to the wire. The standard is so high it's ridiculous.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I like the way they have been going about their business.

Djed Spence will be a good signing with a lot of promise. Spence and Royal as RWB options with Perisic and Regulion as LWB options is a huge upgrade.

Bissouma was a much needed signing. He is better than any midfielder they have already. Bissouma, Bentancur, Hoijberg and Skipp will all work hard and really suit a Conte midfield.

Another centre back would be a priority for me however. Romero is excellent but Tanganga, Dier and Sanchez are all squad players. If they sign Pau Torres (great signing) and Lenglet (not a fan but better than Dier) as rumoured it would be a huge upgrade on what they have already.

Their attack though is incredible. Son, Kane, Kulusevski, Richarlison and Lucas Moura.

2 centre backs needed and a far better goalkeeper than Hugo Howler.

Last edited:

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
I like the way they have been going about their business.

Djed Spence will be a good signing with a lot of promise. Spence and Royal as RWB options with Perisic and Regulion as LWB options is a huge upgrade.

Bissouma was a much needed signing. He is better than any midfielder they have already. Bissouma, Bentancur, Hoijberg and Skipp will all work hard and really suit a Conte midfield.

Another centre back would be a priority for me however. Romero is excellent but Tanganga, Dier and Sanchez are all squad players. If they sign Pau Torres (great signing) and Lenglet (not a fan but better than Dier) as rumoured it would be a huge upgrade on what they have already.

Their attack though is incredible. Son, Kane, Kulusevski, Richarlison and Lucas Moura.

2 centre backs needed and a far better goalkeeper than Hugo Howler.
The number 1 RWB for Spurs is Doherty. Royal will probably be sold if another RWB is signed. Royal is a good player but he is a lot better at RB than RWB.

For LWB, Perisic is number 1 and Sessegnon is number 2. We are probably looking to sell Reguilon. Like Royal, he is better at LB than LWB.

Dier is the most important CB for our back 3. He is much better suited in a back 3 than back 4. And he is the only CB that can make midfield-like passes with both feet.

Pau Torres does not fit the system unless he wants to compete with Dier for the central CB spot. Conte likes wide-CBs that can push up into attack. Davies was often found last season overlapping the LWB and popping into the box.

"Hugo Howler" saves us at least 10 points every season.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs barely scrapped it into top four and it was the poor form of Arsenal that awarded them the 4th position. Taking that into consideration and the context about the performances for Spurs I don't think they will have the consistency over a 38 game period. The thing with City and Liverpool is that their loss periods are in rare occasions and are always isolated, they don't have a habit of losing consecutively when in bad patches.
Both teams were in good form until the midweek NLD (match 36) in which Arsenal lost 3-0. Consistently should be improved with better squad. Spurs showed towards the end of last season that they can compete with any team (except United with Ronaldo) when the first 11 was fit and well rested. The quality drop-off from the first 11 was too big. For example, Bergwijn for Son, Royal for Doherty, Winks for the CMs, and Sanchez for Davies & Dier. We are addressing squad quality this window. Not saying that we are a PL contender but Spurs should do a lot better this season.

LuckyScout78

If Romero and Dier will be rock solid this season. Then you never know. Potential is there. Høijbjerg is good as Liverpool Fabinho and City Rodri.

Spurs central spine shall be complete and as good as City and Liverpool. GK - CB - CM - CF. If that line are world class level everywhere in those positions. Then we are talking about a serious title contender.

Conte will push and motivate his players always run theirs socks off and give theirs best. Conte passion and guts are on same and top level as Klopp and Pep. Its about the central spine. The level and quality of the central spine.

IRONTUSK

Can he? yes
Will he? probably not
The questions should be, do we all want him to? yes considering the other options are basically City or Liverpool with Chelsea as a possibility.

Wilt

Spurs are currently PL 14/1 third favourites, which is probably based on the odds of both City and Liverpool regressing next season.

Can’t imagine City not achieving their usual 90 ish points, but Spurs could have a lively outside chance of 2nd place.

diarm

I don't think he can beat a City side with Haaland to the title, but I think they'll finish 2nd this year and be right in the hunt for the title at Christmas.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
At what point did I say “spurs fans”
Your very initial reply was to Balaks saying not even one single Spurs fan thinks we'll win the league, to say that some think we're on par with Liverpool?

SirScholes

Your very initial reply was to Balaks saying not even one single Spurs fan thinks we'll win the league, to say that some think we're on par with Liverpool?
This is what happens when you come online all pent up.

you’ve misinterpreted what I meant, some in here have posted spurs and Liverpool are equal, they might be spurs fans, they might not be, I’m not arsed.

Either way it’s not happening, signed a very average player from a relegated team for 60 mil! Which makes maguire look like a steal.
last year was typical Tottenham, when one of the main top teams (or more than one) under performs, Tottenham get CL.

SirScholes

If Romero and Dier will be rock solid this season. Then you never know. Potential is there. Høijbjerg is good as Liverpool Fabinho and City Rodri.

Spurs central spine shall be complete and as good as City and Liverpool. GK - CB - CM - CF. If that line are world class level everywhere in those positions. Then we are talking about a serious title contender.

Conte will push and motivate his players always run theirs socks off and give theirs best. Conte passion and guts are on same and top level as Klopp and Pep. Its about the central spine. The level and quality of the central spine.
Yet they only lost one less than us last year?
They lost 11! Games, 11, they are not world class

AgentP

Yet they only lost one less than us last year?
They lost 11! Games, 11, they are not world class
It was Conte’s first season at Spurs. They will be much better this season with the new signings and more time for players to get used to Conte’s play style. Not saying they’ll win the title, but looks like they’ll certainly be better than last season and pose more of a challenge to City and Liverpool.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

Never really rated Dier in a back 2, always thought he had a mistake in him and looked a little shaky. But as part of a back three he has looked rock solid, was noticeable for Spurs when he was injured. Being that central linchpin suits him, had a good season last outing.

Romero could low key be one of the best CB's in the league next season, he was good last season, and will only get better.

AFC NimbleThumb

All I ask is that the Spurs fans in here today don’t pull a Glaston & go quiet if it all goes wrong.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

In order to sustain a run in such a congested schedule and against big opponents , I still think he needs 20+ very good, dedicated players more than a truly top 11 plus reserves. The two incoming seasons will be fun.

AFC NimbleThumb

He's been very active in the Russia/Ukraine thread.
I’m referring to the general absences during Spurs poor form & re-emergence when things go well. Football related.

I’ve stayed away from General chat since George Floyd.

Spaghetti

Mom's
They’ve signed
- Bissouma, who Brighton don’t seem overly fussed about losing.
- Richarlison, who is ok but not exactly going to propel them to the next level. Arguably not even better than what they currently have in Son, Kane and Kulucevski
- Djed Spence, who looked decent in the Championship but is he going to make that much of a difference?
- Lenglet? He’s terrible. He’ll be benched by Dier before Christmas.

Have I missed anyone?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They’ve signed
- Richarlison, who is ok but not exactly going to propel them to the next level. Arguably not even better than what they currently have in Son, Kane and Kulucevski
- Djed Spence, who looked decent in the Championship but is he going to make that much of a difference?

Have I missed anyone?
Perisic who at 33 is unable to run without the assistance of two carers?

AFC NimbleThumb

They’ve signed

Have I missed anyone?
You’ve missed Perisic who the reaction to was similarly as laughable. He’s putting together a squad in his image but the optimism is bordering delusion at this point. They aren’t challenging City nor Pool & given United shouldn’t be losing 6 away games on the bounce, Chelsea will buy & Arsenal are trying to improve Top 4 isn’t a guarantee either.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

you’ve misinterpreted what I meant, some in here have posted spurs and Liverpool are equal, they might be spurs fans, they might not be, I’m not arsed.

Either way it’s not happening, signed a very average player from a relegated team for 60 mil! Which makes maguire look like a steal.
last year was typical Tottenham, when one of the main top teams (or more than one) under performs, Tottenham get CL.
OK then, we're just going round in slightly pointless circles now.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

You are a troll mate. Let's just say it how it is.

Hughie77

No. No matter what comes out of the ex spurs players on Talkshite. He's bought what that makes them anybetter ???

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No. No matter what comes out of the ex spurs players on Talkshite. He's bought what that makes them anybetter ???
That is a strange question - it's pretty obvious that every signing made so far this window has strengthened the squad quite significantly.