Can Dalot/Telles turn it around like Evra/Vidic

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Evra and vidic had a horrendous start to their carriers at utd but they adapted to the league and turned it around after a season.

So can dalot and telles turn it around with better coaching and better players around them next season ?

I think they can. Sure there are better alternatives around but they will improve next season.

Idxomer

No, there's a slight hope with Dalot because he's young but Telles is almost 30 and has never been anything special and lacks physicality for this league.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Took Vidic a couple months to bed in but by the March he was owning Arsenal and starting regularly by the end of the season.

Evra took a bit longer but was getting there by the end of the year and kicked on after a full pre season.

These two have been here 4 years and 2 years respectively and while Dalot might have another level to reach, Telles is bobbins and needs to go.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ah the myth about Vidic and Evra, nice to hear the classics every now and again

To answer the question though no, Dalot will never be more than a Championship level player and Telles will only ever be good enough to be a back up (for us)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
These two have been here 4 years and 2 years respectively and while Dalot might have another level to reach, Telles is bobbins and needs to go.
They've only to the starting team after ole. If they don't imporove next season then they're done here.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Telles was quality for PSG but he seems to be in decline. He might turn it around under a new manager, maybe, but it's not likely given he's approaching 30.

Dalot is just bad on every level.

Tarrou

Telles doesn’t have the physicality for this league and Dalot can’t defend

so I’d say no

Quinze

Dalot might have an outside chance on account of youth and inexperience. Telles' United career is done for.

gormless

Vidic took 2 months to adapt. Mainly because he hadn’t played in months beforehand due to the Russian winter break. Evra took 6 months and was flying by the time we played Fulham off the park in the first game of the 06/07 season.

How can they possibly be compared to people who have been here literal years

mattunited1978

doommonger
Telles is fecking woeful, takes something to stand out as being especially shite in our current squad full of shite, but telles manages it.

hobbers

Dalot there's definitely something there to work with. Tall, quick, not scared of the ball.

Telles is too old to be taught how to defend or position himself or not be spineless all the time in every single 50/50.

If we were going to cut two full backs from the squad it's beyond obvious they would be AWB and Telles.

Ollie Derbyshire

No chance, Dalot has been here years and 95% of that time been very poor, Telles plays like he’s an old man. Both need to go.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Telles no chance, there's nothing there to work with. Dalot could make a rarely used back up if he improves a lot.

Abraxas

Seems a bit of a stretch, it took them a matter of months. These lads have had plenty of time to make an impact, even if they haven't had huge numbers of games. You can't just say that any floundering player might do a Vidic or Evra and cling onto them, the chances they are of that quality are astronomically poor at this stage. Pointless comparisons like that create a lethargy.

I just look at them on their own merits. Telles is useless to me, he's not an athlete. He's just completely unsuited to the league so I don't know why our scouts got carried away with penalty goals, just a ridiculous assessment. Dalot was obviously a youngster so you can't be too harsh on the scouting and maybe he can hang around for another year due to age and flexibility, but let's make no mistake he has not earnt a spot and it will be more about the scale of our problems if he stays.

Giggsy13

My goodness, please don’t compare those legends to that dross. It was within a few months of them moving here that Evra and Vidic were going to be class.

Withnail

Evra and Vidic just needed a season to adjust like a lot of players and many would argue it didn't even take that long.

Aside from it being a bit of a laughable comparison given how long these two have been at the club and the massive gap in quality, Telles definitely never was of the required standard and was a strange buy. Dalot looked like he had the potential at one stage but imo he'll be a squad player at best.

OmarUnited4ever

Evra and vidic had a horrendous start to their carriers at utd but they adapted to the league and turned it around after a season.

So can dalot and telles turn it around with better coaching and better players around them next season ?

I think they can. Sure there are better alternatives around but they will improve next season.

Evra & Vidic joined in the winter transfer in Jan 2006, they needed time to adapt, Evra became a regular mid season 2006-2007, and ended the season with the league title and was in the PL Team of the Year, as for Vidic, he was a regular starter since 2006-2007 alongside Rio.

Basically both Evra & Vidic established themselves as the undisputed starters in a team aiming to win titles within the same calendar year (2006).

Dalot & Telles played regularly under RR, and their performances never showed any sign of them having the quality needed to become regular starters for a team like United.

However, under ETH, who knows, they might improve, at least there is a tiny hope for Dalot as he is still young and quite athletic, Telles I think we'll be better off selling him and getting someone like that Dutch youngster called Tyrell.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Telles is just not a good footballer. Dalot has some talent but is ultimately pretty average, though he can be an OK squad player IMO.

Evra and Vidic didn't go from being shit players to good players. They were talented players with big potential who just took a few months to adapt. That's not really the case here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Evra was a CL finalist before joining United.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
dalot potentially but telles not. he’s just not got enough speed or strength to do well in england.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I think there are players there...but for a club that thinks it belongs in the upper echelons of the game?

Not for me. I don't think they have the edge in terms of their mentality. Evra had already played in a CL final and Vidic was just an absolute warrior.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They're very much B performers to Shaw and Wan Bissaka. But due to a mix of shocking form and injury from those 2, we've had no option to field them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No.

Telles is 29. He's already as good as he's going to get and it isn't good enough.

Dalot has more scope to improve at 23 but even imagining we turn into a heavy possession side that requires him to do relatively little actual defending, at absolute max I could see him becoming a competent squad player.

Red Rash

I really don't think they will turn it round like Vidic and Evra who were both world class players in their position.

I think in the case of Telles at his age he probably won't be able to improve massively. He has some good qualities but I think he lacks pace, ability to carry the ball and is defensively a bit suspect.

Dalot is an ok player and considering his age it's impossible to say how good he could be in a few years time. Has potential but needs to improve his defensive work and become more consistent in his ball delivery to be a Man Utd player in the future

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Both are terrible.

Dalot is just a bit of a nothing full back, offers very little going forward and certainly not better than AWB in his own half.

Dalot may be young but he's had three full seasons at Man. United now (plus a loan away in Serie A) so can't see when this improvement will happen.

Telles o.k forward but badly exposed one v one time and again.

Got a bit of work to do there if Shaw dosen't come back to standard next season to add on to all the regeneration needed in central midfield and final third.

Irwin99

Just when i thought i couldn't get anymore depressed by the state of our fullbacks, watching that FA cup final made me feel worse. I just don't think Dalot and Telles can ever get to the level if even if they made gradual improvement. Physically they just seem too timid and It just seems so important to have modern full backs that have tremendous stamina and aggression to get up and down the pitch.

Dante

Average bang
In a well organised back 4, Dalot should be good enough to be a squad option. But Dalot isn't Premier League quality.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Telles is bad in ALL aspects…everything
Positioning
Heading
Athleticism
Passing

even his dead ball, which is the main reason he was signed has been utter trash this season

Redlyn

Those two needed some months to get to grips with the league. These two have played enough games but just lack the required quality. No they'll never be good enough.

Jezpeza

no. Both are just not good enough. Its not even a form thing. Both could also be sold to the continent for modest fees to boost the kitty.

GL21

All for positivity, but no. Both are part of the very fortunates to be getting paid by united. Seen a few mentions here about AWB. I think there's far more chance of making a player out of him due to his sometimes incredible tackling ability

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Vidic was looking good within 3 months of joining United. Dalot has been here 4 years. Hilarious post.