Can Dalot/Telles turn it around like Evra/Vidic

Red the Bear

Something less generic
No.
They're just not good enough.
Would like to be proven wrong though.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
They shouldn't be in the same sentence. Telles is hot garbage. He doesn't even know how to mark a player. His only positive attribute is his delivery.

Dalot at least has got the basics of defending down, even though he's not particularly good going forward or in one on one defending.

El Jefe

I mean if you ignore the enormous gap in quality sure. Before joining us Evra started in a CL final and Vidic was part of the meanest defence in international football.

It's insulting to mention those two in the same sentence as our legends. I'd be surprised if Telles or Dalot are still here in the 23/24 season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Evra and vidic had a horrendous start to their carriers at utd but they adapted to the league and turned it around after a season.

So can dalot and telles turn it around with better coaching and better players around them next season ?

I think they can. Sure there are better alternatives around but they will improve next season.

:lol: :lol: :lol: The Da Vinci of WUMs.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This made me laugh in a good way. They’re both shite. Move them on.

Eddy_JukeZ

No shot.

Dalot/Telles have been here long enough.

They're just not very good.

mikel

Don't see it. I would like to be wrong because both are serviceable players, but not at vidic / evra level.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is hope for Dalot as he is young player who never got consistent run of games but for Telles there is no chance. He is just cross and hope player, lacks everything else.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
There is hope for Dalot as he is young player who never got consistent run of games but for Telles there is no chance. He is just cross and hope player, lacks everything else.
Yeah and the main reason is because he's rubbish.

Elanga defends better than him already and for someone who's supposed to be good offensively, he's only good for 2 good crosses a game and everything else is just him hitting the first defender.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah and the main reason is because he's rubbish.

Elanga defends better than him already and for someone who's supposed to be good offensively, he's only good for 2 good crosses a game and everything else is just him hitting the first defender.
I agree. In other thread i have said same that I'm yet to see this offensively good Dalot. He does useless stepover and overhits the cross.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
Unlikely, at least Telles has some history of doing it. Dalot just flatters to deceive.

meamth

Dalot is an athlete, he can develop physically and improve his decision making.

I think his growth has been steady, not that exciting wonderkid, lighting up the league but I can see him becoming a solid PL level fullback.

I've been impressed with him so far this season, probably need another season and with better coaching he can be a good player.

Telles on the other hand, I don't believe in him as much.

Keep Dalot.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Vidic was never terrible. Sure he wasn't the player he would later become, but right from the start he was decent with obvious potential to get better. I've never got why he gets thrown in with Evra who actually was terrible at the start.

Morpheus 7

Vidic and evra had horrendous few months adapting to speed of league, Dalot been garbage for years and AC didn't even want him. Telles is shocking and nowhere near the level. He's 30 in December let that sink in, two duds that need replaced asap.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Evra was a CL finalist before joining United.
Everybody who had taken the time to watch him, knew that Evra was the real deal. In fact, he's the type of quality signing for a reasonable fee we seem to have forgotten how to make.

I really hope that he proves me wrong because I'm going to be harsh on him... But, in my 30 years of watching this club, from all the outfield players that got a substantial number of games in the red shirt, Dalot has to be the worst United player i had to endure watching. I read somewhere that he was considered some kind of a prodigy at youth level, but all i can see is an abysmal footballer.

Tsimikas cost Liverpool less than either of those two and he would walk into this United side. He can actually cross the ball, what kind of wizardry is that?

tomaldinho1

I’d say it’s genuinely impossible re Telles. He’s a good 3rd choice LB but he’s at his peak and is too slow.
Dalot at least is young, if ETH is amazing maybe he can really get him to kick on but I doubt it.

Dante

Average bang
Hah! Sorry. I meant Telles should be good enough to slot into an organised back 4. He did it for years in Portugal and was also okay at it at PL level for stretches last season.

Dalot, on the other hand, has always looked shaky. His best quality is mostly his athleticism. But even at his best, I don't think he's any better than an in-form Championship rightback would be.

RonaldoVII

Telles is a woeful defender. He's cost us about 5/6 goals in the last handful of games and should be offloaded in the summer. Dalot isn't half as bad but can't see him ever being good enough.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hah! Sorry. I meant Telles should be good enough to slot into an organised back 4. He did it for years in Portugal and was also okay at it at PL level for stretches last season.

Dalot, on the other hand, has always looked shaky. His best quality is mostly his athleticism. But even at his best, I don't think he's any better than an in-form Championship rightback would be.
:lol: I spent a few minutes trying to decipher what you meant and came up with “contradiction”.
I agree, Dalot is not cut for this level

Oranges038

Not a chance.

Vidic and Evra had quality and took a little while to adjust to the speed and tempo of the game.

These two have shown nothing to prove they are capable of getting anywhere near the levels required.

phelans shorts

Telles has absolutely no hope. He just doesn’t know how to defend and is closer to the end of his career than the start. I’m pretty sure he’ll be gone this summer if we can find a mark.

Dalot there’s a serviceable squad option in there I’d say. He’s never going to be a main man but definitely someone who can be useful in the right setup, we’re current expecting way too much with him still a young player being in a chaotic team and having to be first choice due to his abysmal competition. If he were at Liverpool backing up Alexander-Arnold we’d be asking why we didn’t sign him, he’s a major step down from Trent but in an organised side where everyone knows what they’re doing he’d look a lot better.

Maticmaker

How much improvement would we need to see, in both?
Neither seems to understand the basics of defending, both continually get caught out in positional sense and/ or on the back foot and 90% of the time find themselves on the wrong side of their opponent for making a decent tackle.

Always felt Dalot could improve with the right training, butTelles just isn't good enough at present and I don't see him getting any better.

Telles can take reasonable corners, Dalot will occasionally go on a spirited run down the wing, that's it, end of!

However would love for both of them to prove me wrong!

Lee565

Not telles and to me I don't think dalot is a right back/defender, he looks like a classic case of a young player starting out in one position and then a manager changing their position and performing far better.

Acole9

Outstanding
Dalot could, he's young enough and with the right coaching.

davidmichael

Dalot plays because he’s better going forward than AWB will ever be but they’re both fecking awful and neither will be good enough to be starting for us, I’d keep AWB over Dalot only because AWB is a much better defender and could be decent in shutting games out.

I remember when Telles was signing for us there was lots of people on here saying Telles was twice the player Shaw was/is and would transform us but he’s been awful for the most part to the point I’d honestly play Reece Devine or Alvaro Fernandez over him, Telles simply can’t play in our league like a lot of players struggle with.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Telles must be one of if not THE least athletic full backs in world football. He's weak, frail and slow. I've no idea how our scouts missed this.

JB7

Don't see it with Dalot at all. People seem to think he's coachable because he's young, but he's not that young - he's 23 which obviously is young but he's so bad at the basic fundamentals that I just don't see how he'll ever be of a standard that is good enough for us. If he was at his current level and was 18/19 I'd say fair enough, maybe he could be coached into a decent footballer but there is too much to do for him and it's not like he has that one stand-out attribute (pace, fitness, crossing, set pieces etv) that coaches tend to see in a player in their early-to-mid twenties that they can work with. At best he's average, at worst he's abysmal. You look at him and ask "whats the one thing you are best at?" and genuinely I can't name one part of the game I'd say he's better than average at.

And when people say he's better going forward than AWB, he isn't. He looks more comfortable I agree but in reality his output is no better, if anything it's worse. It's like when we had Rojo and Smalling as options at centre back, people initially liked Rojo because he looked like a footballer and relatively comfortable in possession whereas Smalling looked ridiculous on the ball - in reality both were shite on the ball but only one of them could actually defend.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I can't think of a single modern football set up where the fullbacks are exposed to 1v1 situations as it happens in our play. Either a winger or a midfielder always comes up to neutralize those situations and force the opposition to move the ball into the middle. The fullbacks are essentially width insurance in a set up that focuses on winning the ball higher up the pitch.