Can Ole seriously rebuild United without leaders?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Leadership comes from the top and the manager. There needs to be a significant cultural change in our team for any player possessing leadership qualities to truly shine.

ForestRGoinUp

Not this again. They're bound to fail, and sold to lower table teams or championships teams on a cheap.

I swear our fans thinks every one of our youth player is the next co92.

We'd be lucky if one of them can be a squad player, let alone captain
You’d think we were Southampton or something with all the excitement our academy generates for some.

Maybe it’s just their form of hopium though. Look to the youth as a way to ignore the clowns in the first team.

Lee565

Part of me thinks Ole is afraid to bring in any big leaders/characters because he wouldn't have a strong enough back bone to make it known who the boss is of the dressing room, we've seen at clubs like Chelsea where the big characters in the dressing room take charge over certain managers becease they lack that command of respect.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Personally don't think Ole is a leader himself.

Maybe that's why the Glazers wanted him... easy to deal with, undemanding - grateful to be in the job, rather than expecting of victory (and the backing that victory takes).
Very well said and I agree that Ole is not a natural leader.
To me, a leader is someone who uses strategic thinking to drive through the actions necessary to transform performance.
I don’t see Ole as strategic thinker; far more a tactical thinker.
True leaders are born. You either are or you are not.
Roy Keane would have been a leader whatever he did and we miss his unique character terribly.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
We need leaders. Look at arsenal for reasons why. Problem is, not many out there that would come to us.

LingiBW

For whatever reason, there were times last season where Ole didn't show strong leadership. So for him to have effective leaders on the pitch, he needs to show that he himself can lead, otherwise the supposed leaders in the team end up taking over leading to a player led dressing room or his trusted lieutenants not being respected enough by the rest of the squad therefore diminishing his authority.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
You get the right atmosphere in and around the squad and leaders will develop.
Fernandinho, De Bruyne and even Sterling wern't leaders when the joined City or really until Pep took over and installed the right attitude at the club.
Maybe you could say Henderson was a leader at sunderland, but Milner, Van Dijk and Robertson none of which where leaders until the last season of two. Milner has always been a fringe player at big clubs, Van Dijk attitude in his last 6 months at Sunderland was shocking an not leader time actions. And Roberston was a nobody at Hull.

You sign good players who buy into the philosophy of the club, surround them in a good positive working environment and over time leaders will emerge.

The problem is, everything about our club right now is rotton and until that is addressed both in the infrastructure of the club, with the wage structure, with players who obviously have shocking attitudes, we can talk about leaders till the cows come home, even two or 3 leaders(which isnst an easy thing to buy) isn't going to make a difference.

Snuffkin

Roy Keane would have been a leader whatever he did and we miss his unique character terribly.
Keane was abjectly bad as a manager/leader wherever he's been. His last outing as assistant for the ROI was bad.
Ole isn't just a leader he is a fan. A true great, not a nearly man like Keane. Keane never acored a goal in a champions league final. he didn't even play in one. He scored embarrassing own goals and saw his own arse before leaving.
Ole will walk under his own steam if we don't get the players, and he will not sign a confidentiality clause -he will spread the muck on the Glazers if he doesn't get what he was promised. Remember-Ole is a Norwegian-they don't need money, they've got it all.
He would do that for us. Keane will take cash for slagging the team but he wont slag the Glazers because of the off-chance he gets to feather his bed with more united cash. I see no one is blaming Keano for the Sanchez situation!
Ole is a faith healer as well as a leader. He will do us right one way or another.

Gasolin

Keane was abjectly bad as a manager/leader wherever he's been. His last outing as assistant for the ROI was bad.
Ole isn't just a leader he is a fan. A true great, not a nearly man like Keane. Keane never acored a goal in a champions league final. he didn't even play in one. He scored embarrassing own goals and saw his own arse before leaving.
Ole will walk under his own steam if we don't get the players, and he will not sign a confidentiality clause -he will spread the muck on the Glazers if he doesn't get what he was promised. Remember-Ole is a Norwegian-they don't need money, they've got it all.
He would do that for us. Keane will take cash for slagging the team but he wont slag the Glazers because of the off-chance he gets to feather his bed with more united cash. I see no one is blaming Keano for the Sanchez situation!
Ole is a faith healer as well as a leader. He will do us right one way or another.
What does Keane has to do with Sanchez? And is that you Ole?

sp_107

Just ask your self,

Can Ole attract top talent when other clubs like Pool, Spurs also come in for same player? (forget Barcelona or Madrid)

Can Ole command respect from players in everyday operations?

Can Ole put pressure on board to get players he wants to sign ?

Can Ole give this team an identity ?

Can Ole pick up the players and get them play better when the results are not going on our favour?

Not sure about the above ones but one thing he can do it for sure, In every interview Blabbering about UTD way, Importance of Academy above all calling Rashy who scored 10 goals for the entire season as the best striker etc.

He clearly knows he is a goner if he doesnt do a major surgery to this team and we really need many players but ED doesnt give a flying kiss about it and there is no urgency from the board at all....So even Ole wants to re-build with our without owners he ain't getting the support he needs from the board. That's why they made him as a permanent manager in first place.

Imagine if Jose is in charge and we only signed James by preseason time, he might have dragged Ed and the board into the media. I didnt like it at that time but the more I think about Ed/Glazers the more I feel these guys deserve someone like Jose who can wash them in public.

Year after year a failure, still they are not arsed to put in a proper structure, they dont develop the stadium...Not sure if they really add anything positive to this giant club which deserves so much respect.

Last edited:

BlueHaze

Just ask your self,

Can Ole attract top talent when other clubs like Pool, Spurs also come in for same player? (forget Barcelona or Madrid)

Can Ole command respect from players in everyday operations?

Can Ole put pressure on board to get players he wants to sign ?

Can Ole give this team an identity ?

Can Ole pick up the players and get them play better when the results are not going on our favour?

Not sure about the above ones but one thing he can do it for sure, In every interview Blabbering about UTD way, Importance of Academy above all calling Rashy who scored 10 goals for the entire season as the best striker etc.

He clearly knows he is a goner if he doesnt do a major surgery to this team and we really need many players but ED doesnt give a flying kiss about it and there is no urgency from the board at all....So even Ole wants to re-build with our without owners he ain't getting the support he needs from the board. That's why they make him as a permanent manager in first place.

Imagine if Jose is in charge and we only signed James by preseason time, he might have dragged Ed and the board into the media. I didnt like it at that time but the more I think about Ed/Glazers the more I feel these guys deserve someone like Jose who can wash them in public.
Quite depressing when you put it that way but if this summer turns out another disaster and our season goes to hell too then it won't be on Ole. It will all be because of the Glazer's and Edd.

I agree that given our current situation we might not be the most attractive destination but still it's United and many players would dream about playing at Old Trafford regardless of who's the manager.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We will soon find out if you are right.
As a United fan I really do hope that you are.

matt10000

Leaders come in all shapes and sizes! It is the ability to inspire, make decisions, empower, create belief, sell ideas etc...if Ole starts getting consistent results and the team develops confidence in a way of playing that has Ole’s stamp on it, then the leaders who understand and buy into it will emerge and lead others on the pitch. Those that don’t follow will be allowed to go forth and multiply

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Kids coming through will be looking to the experienced pros like Pogba and Lingard for leadership. So yeah, we really do need actual leaders.

Shark

@NotShark
I honestly don’t know, how could anyone genuinely answer these questions? I barely know what type of football he’s trying to get us playing, never mind what he’s going to do to rebuild the club, somehow.

Bestietom

Keane was our best ever captain mate. If you are a true united fan you should have more respect for him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Since Zlatan there is no Manchester United type leaders. What are the chances McTominay will morph into Roy Keane in one season ?

Matić would be my perfect candidate but of course, signs of age and hundreds of other trouble getting to him just when we need someone to step up.

Shark

@NotShark
Part of me thinks Ole is afraid to bring in any big leaders/characters because he wouldn't have a strong enough back bone to make it known who the boss is of the dressing room, we've seen at clubs like Chelsea where the big characters in the dressing room take charge over certain managers becease they lack that command of respect.
Well if this is the case, what is Ole doing managing a club like United?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
To be fair, at least since 1990, SAF never worked with such an spineless squad. He always had at least three leaders on the pitch and/or 4-6 TopTop players.

reddevil80

Jim White on Talksport pushing the Roy Keane to United angle right now. God they must really hate us.:(:(
not sure on this one, maybe the only way a true leader can come forward is if the likes of Keano comes in to the changing rooms or training sessions and shows how passion can transform a squad into a team. Getting off social media and focusing on your profession would go a long way to getting the fans and the rest of the side on your side and. Keane could go too far on occasion but he always had utd and success in the forefront of his mind. He would pull the players who didn't pull their weight and give them a bloody good shake, if he could show the players that respect will come from fighting your corner, then a leader could possibly emerge.

matt10000

Keano coming in would not help, leaders need to be allowed to develop and emerge within their own peer group. Keane’s presence would stifle that

manutddjw

I can’t stress enough how much this club needs Rio back in a coaching capacity. Rio is into the whole hip-hop/fashion/branding scene like the clowns we have now, but he knows when to be business. He could relate to them on some level, yet have the respect from his peers because he’s won more than anyone in the squad when we talk about trophy haul.

Revaulx

Jim White on Talksport pushing the Roy Keane to United angle right now. God they must really hate us.:(:(
It might still happen.

In the 80s Leeds went for three Revie-era legends in succession (Clarke, Eddie Gray, Bremner) in the hope that some if the great man’s magic had rubbed off on at least one if them. Once Ole’s gone I can see it being Keane’s turn. Or Giggs’, if he gets a few decent results with Wales.

Dr Fink

Good debate on here, with the exclusion of quoting Raheem Sterling as a good leader. I've seen nothing apart from his game improving, that agrees with your statements. United have none. A "Keane" of old would not prosper in today's game. I think we need a VVD to lead from the back. Maguire I personally don't rate as a player so he's not for me, I hope we don't get him. I don't know who though. Carry on..............

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We have leaders. Its human nature that leaders will emerge from any group of individuals pushed together. The question is whether they are the right type of leader.

Ashley Young and Mata have been retained for precisely this reason in my opinion. They may not always be able to provide that leadership on the pitch but I'm sure its felt behind the scenes. That aside we have no way of knowing about the dynamic within the club.

What I will say is that if Lingard is seen as a leader then god help us all

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We have leaders. Its human nature that leaders will emerge from any group of individuals pushed together. The question is whether they are the right type of leader.

Ashley Young and Mata have been retained for precisely this reason in my opinion. They may not always be able to provide that leadership on the pitch but I'm sure its felt behind the scenes. That aside we have no way of knowing about the dynamic within the club.

What I will say is that if Lingard is seen as a leader then god help us all
I agree with the bolded part as well. They exhude professionalism and character, but they're no longer good enough to lead through inspiration. No moment of magic conjured when the team needs it the most. That's where I thought (and still do) Pogba needs to step up.

I'm excited by Maguire the personality more than Maguire the player for the same reason. We'll finally have someone who'll run the extra mile, put his body on the line, leap for the extra inch, look for the forward pass and and vocally organize the defence, but be better on the ball than Smalling and fitter over the season than Jones.

Nikelesh Reddy

We are now six weeks into Ole Gunnar's rebuild at United. Not much has happened in the transfer market just yet, but media reports suggest that things are going to pick up pace.

Like any United fan, I want to see good, high quality players signed in this window. At a minimum, we are in desperate need of a centre back, a right back, a defensive midfielder (possibly a creative midfielder if Pogba goes) and another striker to replace Lukaku (if he goes).

On top of that we are in absolutely dire need of leaders. We are totally leaderless on the field. The senior players such as Young, Jones and Smalling are so totally hapless that no-one could possibly look to them for inspiration. Pogba? He is not a leader. Even if he were to stay, his credibility, currency and commitment is so questionable, I doubt that any player would seriously look to him for any sort of leadership.

My concern when I look at where we are aiming for is that City have leaders in Fernandinho, De Bruyne and even Sterling. Likewise Liverpool have leaders in abundance in Henderson, Milner, Van Dijk and Robertson. Leaders do not always need to be the most talented players. but they do need to be the most respected.

Right now, I cannot see who United's leaders are or indeed whether bringing in five or six top players will by itself be enough, if we do not have two or three on-field leaders to mould them into a cohesive force.

Would do you think?
There are still huge question marks over whether Ole’s the right “leader” to take us forward,forget about the players...

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Leadership cost money. Most leaders are experienced players who have played 250+ games at club level.

Ole has spent 145mil.

The two top managers in the league have spent 400mil and 550 mil building their own teams. That's the level of spending required and it takes time to let a manager build his team.

romufc

I think people are getting it wrong sometimes.

It always seems as if we have no leaders, lack of leadership when the team is in the dumps.

Someone mentioned Herrera, where was his leadership last 2 years?

Once we start playing well, results come you will see leaders emerge. The likes of Lindelof, Maguire, Pogba, McT will all shine if the teams plays well.

matt10000

To me, a leader is someone who uses strategic thinking to drive through the actions necessary to transform performance.
I don’t see Ole as strategic thinker; far more a tactical thinker.
This may be the case but it is not a bad thing. We need a leader to build a team that buy into his philosophy and grow with him, there is no point in him signing big time charlies that are going to subvert his ideas!

Brian Clough was one of the finest managers ever but he couldn’t go into an established Leeds United and get buy in from the big time charlies, no he had to build a team that he thought would work for him. Ole must do the same and so I dont blame him for not wanting players that think rhey are bigger than him!

If and when his reputation grows he may feel he has the authority to bring in some of these types but now is the wrong time for big time charlies for Ole and for the club in my humble opinion

ryansgirl

Oh please............can the Ole gnawers continually questioning him after he has persuaded Harry and Aaron to play for United, handled the media for months now near perfectly, continues to address the subject of want-aways like Paul P and Lukaka intelligently by refusing to play public blame games or escalate what are normal problems of a top club's manager - just put a sock in it.

Leadership? United just bought one and he also plays for England, is a League medal winner, understands the English footballing culture and speaks English perfectly so there is no risk of any misunderstandings, etc, etc.

Aaron is a modest, incredibly talented lad who can be the next Rio, Marcus signed a new contract and made it about Manchester United, declaring he would do everything to put United back where it belongs, watch him step it up, Victor is more settled and has leadership qualities, Luke's been unsettled until Ole came, he will show again why United wanted him, we still have the old heads in Ashley, Phil and Chris who will provide that experience needed to take United through this re-building stage.

Ole's preferred style for United is becoming clearer - no Dybalas, Icardis or other foreign players who don't want to be at Manchester United 100 percent. Talent is only part of it - attitude is key as we have seen with players like Sanchez. This approach is a relief after Jose's, appreciate it.

Last edited: