charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just an off the top of my head thought this team might be able to do it

----------------------De Gea----------------------
AWB-----New CB-----New CB-----Shaw
----------------------New DM----------------------
-------Fernandes-------Pogba-------
Greenwood----Martial----Rashford

Essentially go and buy the very best CB's and DM (because 1v1 I think AWB and Shaw are very good) and let them do the defensive work and leave the front 5 to do the damage at the other end

You might even be able to sign those players for little more than the Sancho deal is going to cost

Lentwood

It COULD challenge for 2nd but in reality I think we’re still at least one good transfer window away from having a proper crack at a challenge

We still need a truly world class CB. I’ve been keen to defend Maguire because he is an excellent penalty box defender and is very good on the ball - however, if we want to play a high-line we need a Rio or Kompany type next to him. I think a fully-fit Eric Bailly could come close to that level but we can’t rely on Eric to start 30+ PL games.

I also don’t really understand what Ole is trying to do with the midfield. We’ve signed Fernandes and then VdB to add to Pogba, Fred, McTominay and Matic. I understand we need depth, but it seems to me the balance is slightly off...which of those players are actually capable of playing together as an effective unit? What do we do to get the best out of Paul Pogba? For me, he has to play further forward...but what does that mean for the two players we just signed this year for big(ish) money, who both seemingly want to play that position?

I’m also not convinced Rashford is good enough on a consistent basis to start for a team capable of challenging and the full backs need to be able to contribute more assists to help breakdown stubborn teams

I’d say add a world-class CM player, Jadon Sancho and a quick, aggressive CB and we COULD/should start challenging for major trophies

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So far off unfortunately.

Defence is average. I don’t know Telles, but AWB and Lindelof aren’t going to be starters in any title-winning side, and I doubt Maguire is either, although I’m not quite ready to write him off yet.

The midfield is not good enough. Matic and Pogba need too much space and time to operate, neither are good at consistent ball retention and quick passing and movement, nor do they excel at applying high pressure to the opposition. Under pressure they concede possession far too often, lack energy, and often struggle to impose themselves on rival midfields that look worse on paper. Bruno has qualities, but he needs a more solid, consistent and possession-based pairing behind him to negate his negatives - risk-taking, conceding cheap possession, etc. His post lock-down form was up and down, and I have my doubts that he can be depended on to carry the creative burden going forward.

Rashford and Martial are both players I like, but still have to show they have the quality to step up to that title-winning level. Given they’ve been first team regulars since 15/16, there’s a strong possibility they will now never hit those heights, and their form will continue to ebb and flow throughout the season, hinting at greatness at times but sinking to mediocrity at other times. Greenwood looks the most promising player at the club, but obviously bringing in that elusive right-forward (not Dembele please) is absolutely crucial.

Bestietom

Essentially go and buy the very best CB's and DM (because 1v1 I think AWB and Shaw are very good) and let them do the defensive work and leave the front 5 to do the damage at the other end

You might even be able to sign those players for little more than the Sancho deal is going to cost
I agree, but can't see it happening now. Maybe over the next couple of windows.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I agree, but can't see it happening now. Maybe over the next couple of windows.
Oh yeah no chance of it happening now but maybe next summer go for Upamencano and Partey would they be good enough to fit the bill for 2 of the positions?

RashyForPM

I'm deadly serious when I say Everton are more likely to win the league than us.
This is an irrational reply :D But honestly, due to Ancelotti having to overplay their first XI, they’re already getting injuries, like those suffered by Allan and Richarlison. Their depth is players like Gbamin, Iwobi, Holgate, Kenny. Good first XI, but nowhere near more likely to win the league than us.

Bestietom

Oh yeah no chance of it happening now but maybe next summer go for Upamencano and Partey would they be good enough to fit the bill for 2 of the positions?
2 Good Players, but I still feel we need a Top CF also. Another Ruud would be nice.

marktan

Even with those signings that front 3 is not challengning. Aside from Martial, who's the striker, none of those players can dribble and beat a man, which is needed against the grittier teams that sit back. Pools wide combos are Mane/Robertson, and Salah/TAA. Ours are about 2 levels down from that.

RashyForPM

2 Good Players, but I still feel we need a Top CF also. Another Ruud would be nice.
What we need is an experienced head who knows where the goal is, something like RvP in 2012-13. The player I had the most doubts about from the first XI when making this thread bar Lindelof was Martial. I don’t see him ever becoming a title-winning, 30 goal striker. Get a world class stopgap for 2 seasons before Greenwood steps up in 2022.

Bestietom

What we need is an experienced head who knows where the goal is, something like RvP in 2012-13. The player I had the most doubts about from the first XI when making this thread bar Lindelof was Martial. I don’t see him ever becoming a title-winning, 30 goal striker. Get a world class stopgap for 2 seasons before Greenwood steps up in 2022.
Cavani.??

Siorac

While I agree we wouldn't challenge for the title even with Sancho in there, it'd be a bit embarassing. At that point we'd have the league's most expensive defender, the league's most expensive midfielder, and the league's most expensive attacker. Not challenging for the title with all that - well, if it were any other club we wouldn't stop laughing at them.

RashyForPM

Cavani.??
Well, when I say experienced and world class, I mean someone below 65 years of age and who isn’t past his best :lol: In all seriousness, I like Cavani, but he should be backup unless he enters a stunning run of form.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Thought I’d start a positive thread amongst the negativity brought upon by this transfer window. So, if by some chance Woodward pulls through and gets us all our supposed main targets before Tuesday ends, this leaves us with the team:

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles
Pogba Matic
Sancho/Dembele Bruno Rashford
Martial

Subs: Deano, Bailly, Shaw, McT, VdB, Greenwood, Cavani

Reserves: Romero, Rojo, Tuanzebe, Williams, TFM, Fred, Mata, Lingard, James, Ighalo.

Instantly, you notice a top first XI and more importantly in this congested, tiring season, good squad depth, including some decent players who can’t even make the 18 on a day when everyone is fit. I wouldn’t say it rivals Liverpool’s squad just yet (although, the depth does), but if these guys hit good form like many did at the back end of last season, we can beat anybody on any day.

So, stick to the thread please. No transfer talk here. Can this squad challenge for the title?
Not without 1 thing:

Breaking up Lindeloff and Maguire as a pair

Bestietom

Well, when I say experienced and world class, I mean someone below 65 years of age and who isn’t past his best :lol: In all seriousness, I like Cavani, but he should be backup unless he enters a stunning run of form.
We should have spent money on Kane.

Crustanoid

Firstly we won’t get all the targets, there is one day left.

The window has been awful for us and much better for many other teams

We are further away from challenging for the title than we have been for decades

RORY65

The balance of the midfield and the centre back pairing would still be issues that would cause us to end up short but we potentially could be slightly closer than we have been post Ferguson (staggering Van Gaal in the year he got sacked was the closest we've been - 15 points) because that is a team with a lot of quality, however we won't get those deals done in time regardless so the aim for this season is going to be ensure top 4 again.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
No, of course it can’t. I’d take 4th right now. We went into the window needing 6 players over the next two years to challenge - Starting CB, RW, DM and a LB/AMC/Striker at the very least capable of challenging for a place. We’re leaving the window with one of those. In that hypothetical lineup I see 2/6 signed. Dembele and Cavani don’t cut it - one is a high risk punt which has every chance of being a flop while the other is a stop gap to replace the previous stop gap, a player in physical decline coming to the most physical league in the world after numerous injuries and not having played for 7 months. Even if we did sign Sancho our midfield is still unbalanced and our CB pairing completely unfit for the high line we supposedly want to play.

All of this also fails to take into the fact Liverpool will likely be getting 90+ points again this season. I’m not even sure with the 6 quality additions I’ve mentioned we’d have the consistency, attitude and more importantly manager capable of doing that.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It can challenge for 2nd quite easily this season because the competition is looking as rough as we are. It’s not capable of coming anywhere near the last three points totals that the league has been won by though.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Add a prime Lahm, Rio, Vidic and Keane to that team and I'd give it a maybe.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We should have spent money on Kane.
I don't think I fancy Kane. First of all Kane right now will still be valued double Sancho by levy. And then he tends to disappear in certain games especially big games. We might should just stick with Martial who performed similar to Kane last season without penalty if the choice is to pay 200m plus on Kane now.

I think Haland is a much better shout if what you want is no 9. The guy is more lethal and more talent than Kane and also younger. More aggressive, quicker, stronger & big mentality players who score against any teams whether they are top or lesser team. If the team is performing poor, he will still somehow find a way to score. His goal ratio with Dortmund and his previous club is incredible.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We should get 80 to 85 points with this team. Whether that wins the league or not is immaterial. Anything below an 80 point season with this team is underachievement.

big rons sovereign

Top 6 would be an achievement. Failure for top 4 will see ole sacked, then the next manager will make it, get shafted by the board, fail and get sacked.
Round and round and round we go.

CM

Probably not, but it might be capable of bridging the gap - which is what we need to be doing.

I don't think Lindelof and Maguire is a compatible partnership and I still don't think our midfield is configured correctly. If we signed another couple of players and got those things right we might get somewhere close but that doesn't seem likely.

Libano

Stranger things have happened. Get on a roll and winning might create confidence, which will create more winning. Before you know it, you consistently win the easy games.

Leicester has won the title with a weaker team on paper.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Top 6 would be an achievement. Failure for top 4 will see ole sacked, then the next manager will make it, get shafted by the board, fail and get sacked.
It won't carry on forever. We may get rid of Woodward and have a DOF bringing in right players for the team. We may also stumble upon a manager who can extract maximum from the players. It takes time. We are just in our 8th year in the wilderness. We will get it right shortly.

dove

Who was the last manager to get shafted by the board?

RashyForPM

It seems people’s biggest problem with this hypothetical team is the Maguire-Lindelof partnership, and rightly so. Get rid of Lindelof for maybe Upamecano next season and I honestly think that team could win it.

diarm

Our next 8 fixtures are Spurs, Newcastle, PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig, Arsenal, Istanbul and Everton.

Lets get through those lot and we'll have a better idea of where we are and where this season is going.

youmeletsfly

As much as it hurts to say, this team will never challenge for the EPL with the likes of Rashy, Shaw, and especially AWB. Not trying to be an ass about it, but it's not even cool to discuss it, that's how far away we are.

In my humble opinion:
- need a manage with vision that can push the club to be more organized
- as much as it hurts to say it, no Pogba, Rashy, Shaw, AWB
- need one more proven goalscorer
- bench should be stronger

In plain English, I still think we're a decent manager away coupled with a few players and some organization at club level.

At the moment we've too many overrated and overpaid cnuts in this team.