Can this team challenge for the title?

PoTMS

Next league game against City is pretty huge on this front. Beating them would be a huge sign after the defeats to Spurs and Arsenal.
We've been pretty poor against big teams this season, results and performances, particularly at home. Can't say I see anything but a City win at OT.

el3mel

Nothing has changed my view. Our team is good enough to challenge for the league in comparison to what our rivals have but some here intentionally want to underrate the current team so much to prove their opinion right.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We've been pretty poor against big teams this season, results and performances, particularly at home. Can't say I see anything but a City win at OT.
I'm assuming you're on about the league only. We got very good results away to PSG and at home to Leipzig.

Siorac

We're obviously not going to challenge for the title, come on now. We're simply not good enough as a team, even though we have some tasty players now.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Klopp got 500mil to build his team and Pep 800mil.

Ole got 240mil and 50mil of that went on players for the future like Armadillo.

He cant be expected to challenge.

OrcaFat

Next league game against City is pretty huge on this front. Beating them would be a huge sign after the defeats to Spurs and Arsenal.
Yeah. Not a must win but would give us a foot up.

Acole9

Outstanding
Definitely, we play the best football in the country.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I’ve always said don’t look at league table before 10th game.

we are 4th and are currently challenging for top place, despite a diabolical yet unavoidable start to the season, and not yet hitting consistency in performance.

so yes, I’m ecstatic and confident we can make a run for it this year, as our level of performance will improve.

brilliant job from Ole and the squad so far.

Siorac

Klopp spent €261m until 17/18 when they finished fourth (75 points) and reached the CL final. They challenged a year later, getting 97 points. Ole is at €310m now so we should get to around 75-80 points and then challenge next season, if we're comparing him to Klopp.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hell no, but also maybe hell yes.

abailey123

Results like last week and tonight are what lead to title challenges. Winning games when backs are against the wall. Win next week and people may start to sit up

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I’ve always said don’t look at league table before 10th game.

we are 4th and are currently challenging for top place, despite a diabolical yet unavoidable start to the season, and not yet hitting consistency in performance.

so yes, I’m ecstatic and confident we can make a run for it this year, as our level of performance will improve.

brilliant job from Ole and the squad so far.
None of our forwards have found the net consistently this season yet, imagine if they do:keano:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

We are still building and lacking form and quality in essential positions so it’s a season too early for me but with one or 2 more creative players, a striker and a top young DM we are well and truly set up for the first time in ages.If Ole can keep the train on the tracks long enough to complete his team we will be formidable again.

Lee565

No, we leak too many goals and are too wasteful/inconsistent in front of goal

KW2006

We have as much chance winning the title as finishing outside top4. This season is so weird.

lysglimt

Scout
No, we leak too many goals and are too wasteful/inconsistent in front of goal
That is a bit barsh - we were awful defensively in the first 3 games - but after that, we have been quite good defensively.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We can challenge for the title. However, it basically depends on Bruno Fernandes being fit/playing hurt full of painkillers.

We have enough firepower to beat most Premier League teams. If we can rub out the stupid defensive mistakes we should score enough goals to get a very competitive points total.

However, our entire attack falls apart when Bruno's not around. No Bruno, no title.

Rojofiam

We'd probably be top of the league right now with a proper pre-season and had we backed Ole in the summer...

OrcaFat

I’d echo the sentiment that Bruno is essential.

The best clubs have about 14 players who are true first 11 players, which means you have three top class guys who end up on the bench. They can withstand injuries to any player without catastrophic collapse.

If Bruno is out we will likely struggle. Shame we didn’t buy Grealish. That lad would have made a huge difference. Would have played 30-40 games (not all at 10) and the front 4 or 5 would be fresher and sharper come spring. Could have got him for £75mill I bet.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We have the squad to do it and aren't far off the top of the league despite a bad start. I don't think we can though, due to coaching. Ole's done well but we rely too much on mentality, work ethic, desire combined with individual ability to make it happen, rather than a defined system. We can't come from behind every game.

siw2007

Need to improve our home form before thinking of title challenge. We’ve only just about beaten West Brom at Old Trafford this season. Top of the league is more competitive in terms of position so we could be in the running with some luck. I’m personally concerned that though we should significantly close the gap on City and Liverpool we could easily finish outside the top 4 due to competing with much improved Chelsea and Spurs teams.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Too early to say anything concrete but If Fernandes and Rashford stay fit and relatively on form I think we actually can...but it's dependent on City and Liverpool carrying on as they have been rather than sorting their acts out, as if either do that they'll pull away from everyone.

Don't think Chelsea, Tottenham etc. are at a level United can't compete with. Tottenham are as if not more fecked if Kane or Son get injured, and Chelsea can't seem to beat or even score against anyone who isn't shite, and nearly always get worse as the season goes on.

Our problems get exagerated to death while Chelsea for example circus clown their way through games at times and get praised for it. We've been winning games with something to spare and despite only turning up for parts of them...and against teams like Everton, Southampton, West Ham, etc...tricky sides. Not the relegation fodder that Chelsea or Spurs have been brushing aside.

Our home form is the biggest concern but you'd think sooner or later we'll turn that around to some degree.

Ultimately still think the usual two are favourites but at the moment they both need to step up a bit to really show that, otherwise it's open to 5-6 teams.

Josh 76

I know it's all about ifs and buts, but the one player which would have made a huge difference would have been a DM ball player. That's where this team lacks. Mctomminy had some many chances to play the ball forward, but chose the easy option all the time, which them allows teams to get back. Fred tries , but just hasn't got it in his locker. Matic is just too old. (In fact a younger Matic is exactly what this team is missing. )

The only player that was avaiblle to get in the summer to fill this role went to the fecking Scousers.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This question is really asking: can Bruno Fernandes stay fit for 60 games in a season. What do you think?

leontas

Only if we can play away from home and with Bruno starting.

Otherwise, no - we're too inconsistent still.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This question is really asking: can Bruno Fernandes stay fit for 60 games in a season. What do you think?
You reckon we can get in with that special doctor in Barcelona that Pep's tight with? He seems to keep the players fit and get them back from injury really, really fast. ;)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We've come down from 25s to 17s with the bookies. Still very long odds compared to Chelsea and, amazingly, Tottenham.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Klopp spent €261m until 17/18 when they finished fourth (75 points) and reached the CL final. They challenged a year later, getting 97 points. Ole is at €310m now so we should get to around 75-80 points and then challenge next season, if we're comparing him to Klopp.
Don’t think it’s fair to include Pellistri & Diallo right now. They are more of our U23 team signing not first team. Well, based on the fact that Pellistri is not playing in our first team but U23 right now. €289m.

ManUtd1999

This is the first time since 2013 that I believe that we can do it. We’re not great, but our rivals aren’t either, at least so far.

Next Saturday: big test that should give us a better indication.