Can this team challenge for the title?

RashyForPM

Thought I’d start a positive thread amongst the negativity brought upon by this transfer window. So, if by some chance Woodward pulls through and gets us all our supposed main targets before Tuesday ends, this leaves us with the team:

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles
Pogba Matic
Sancho/Dembele Bruno Rashford
Martial

Subs: Deano, Bailly, Shaw, McT, VdB, Greenwood, Cavani

Reserves: Romero, Rojo, Tuanzebe, Williams, TFM, Fred, Mata, Lingard, James, Ighalo.

Instantly, you notice a top first XI and more importantly in this congested, tiring season, good squad depth, including some decent players who can’t even make the 18 on a day when everyone is fit. I wouldn’t say it rivals Liverpool’s squad just yet (although, the depth does), but if these guys hit good form like many did at the back end of last season, we can beat anybody on any day.

So, stick to the thread please. No transfer talk here. Can this squad challenge for the title?

Nickelodeon

No. Not even close. Our big names don’t perform on the levels of the best players in the league. Our shite is as low as the league has to offer. Plus our manager is also quite far away from the level needed to get the points tally required to win the league.

Tarrou

It definitely needs Sancho over Dembele, and I think you need a top class centre back in there

mav_9me

We will never challenge for the title with Lindelof as starting CB. Actually to be more accurate with this CB pairing we will never challenge. If lindelof had VvD level of defender by his side we may. Either way this combination of CB will never challenge.

We will still need a DM as Matic can't play all the games.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Depends on who the manager is. With our manager, unfortunately no. Regardless, a team with Lingard and Jones can challenge for the title with the right manager, chemistry with the players, and latest sport science equipment. A bad managers covers his lack of managerial acumen with world class signing. It was unbelievable what Sir Alex was able to accomplish with the likes of cleverly, Gibson, and a lot of other dross he had over the years.

kerryman

Not a hope, will be lucky to make top 6. Pogba is bang average in 90% of the games he plays (many still claim he's world class however!).VdB deserves a spot in the first 11. Lindelof/Maguire partnership is decent but not top class. Rashford is very hit and miss as is Martial. Considering how other teams have spent and recruited and the strong start they've made I think we will struggle. So far we've been beaten by Palace and played off the park by Brighton but somehow escaped with 3 points. We still don't seem to have a coherent plan when it comes to strengthening the team. We're the new Arsenal, aiming for top 4 with anything higher a bonus. Sadly I don't think we will come close to challenging for the title this year or many years to come tbh.

ti vu

Yes. I saw worse teams in quality going distant before. With some luck and the right management, why not?

Shiva87

What an OP - let's not talk about transfers and then goes on to list a squad with 3 transfer targets. :houllier:

Last edited:

Kostov

A cb pairing of Lindelof and Maguire coupled with whatever we put up at CDM, will never win the PL, regardless of Sancho.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I still think there are too many issues for a title challenge. AWB isn’t good enough going forward and has lapses of concentration. I was always a Lindelof supporter, but he just hasn’t proven title winning class as of yet. Still too erratic and weak. de Gea is still prone to error and doesn’t have the confidence he once did.

Pogba doesn’t play well consistently as part of that double pivot further back. Martial is also inconsistent as a number 9 and hasn’t cemented down that position by any means.

In saying all of that, the squad would be far better and we should be capable of giving anyone a game on our day. I just think that the balance in the team and the way that we are currently set up, doesn’t lend itself to a title challenge.

Too many things could cost us points, and I think we are still at least a top class CB, more athletic Matic replacement, more attacking RB and a proper CF away from a true challenge.

FattyFooty

It's a good team. But, it will not be in the title chase.

Winning the title needs stability and players that performs over time. Witch is our main problem.

Also that team misses that consistant good goal scorer. If you take a look at the winning teams they usually have these "super goal scorers"

On the bright side, we are building and its getting better.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Thought I’d start a positive thread amongst the negativity brought upon by this transfer window. So, if by some chance Woodward pulls through and gets us all our supposed main targets before Tuesday ends, this leaves us with the team:

DDG
Pogba Matic
Martial

Reserves: Romero, Rojo, Tuanzebe, Williams, TFM, Fred, Mata, Lingard, James, Ighalo.

Instantly, you notice a top first XI and more importantly in this congested, tiring season, good squad depth, including some decent players who can’t even make the 18 on a day when everyone is fit. I wouldn’t say it rivals Liverpool’s squad just yet (although, the depth does), but if these guys hit good form like many did at the back end of last season, we can beat anybody on any day.

So, stick to the thread please. No transfer talk here. Can this squad challenge for the title?
Definitely. And if it can't, you have to look at the manager.

Von Mistelroum

If we somehow had that team we should be looking to finish 3rd at best but our backups are not good enough for anything else and it would still be a difficult task.

Thiagoal

Yet more negativity! Every thread I go in there’s people whining. We finished third last year and were the best team in the league after lockdown. Add in a Sancho, VDB, Cavani and Telles then of course we’d be challengers.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No. We still need quick centre back to provide balance minimum.

Verminator

Yes.
With a run similar to the end of last season, but without running the players into the ground, and better luck with injuries.

This season is the worst time to have a thin squad, with a gruelling schedule.

sillwuka

Shaw, Cavani, Greenwood and VDB is the epitome of strength in depth.

We are getting closer to the top 2 if we manage to bring in Sancho and Telles by tomorrow night.

F-A-C-T-S

I think we should now think of the title I terms of points. Last 3 winners
99, 98 and 100 points. Do you think that team can get >90 points if yes then yes we can challenge if no, then no...

Feed Me

I'm hungry

DDG
Pogba Matic
Martial

:lol:

No.

Zen86

No. We need one or two upgrades, and we’re still lacking in squad depth. A couple injuries and we’re scrapping for 4th again this season.

CG1010

Not this year but that would be great progression. In our team, I would say our midfield is probably the most complete and belongs to a title winning one (I consider Fred to be an adequate defensive midfielder). With one more year of experience for the likes of Rashford, Martial, Bruno, Greenwood, our attack could reach top level within an year. Hopefully we will resolve the goalkeeping situation also this year with either DDG stepping up again or getting replaced. That would leave the defence to be sorted out next year and then we could look at challenging.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No

I think you'd need a better CB combination than Lindelof and Maguire, whether that's Lindelof and another or Maguire and another but them as a pair isn't good enough

I think you need a better CM duo than Pogba and Matic, Pogba will always let you down and Matic doesn't have the legs to play week in week out

And finally I think you probably need a Haaland as your number 9 as oppose to Martial

And I haven't even mentioned the FB's and GK

Only area where I'm comfortable with where we're at is that 3 behind the striker with Greenwood (or Sancho)/Bruno/Rashford

Bestietom

Not this year but that would be great progression. In our team, I would say our midfield is probably the most complete and belongs to a title winning one (I consider Fred to be an adequate defensive midfielder). With one more year of experience for the likes of Rashford, Martial, Bruno, Greenwood, our attack could reach top level within an year. Hopefully we will resolve the goalkeeping situation also this year with either DDG stepping up again or getting replaced. That would leave the defence to be sorted out next year and then we could look at challenging.
Agree, but we need to sort out that defence quickly. The quicker we can get rid of the deadwood would mean upgrading.

dove

Yes, with a manager who wouldn't need to be carried by the team.