Can United realistically win the CL this season?

Greck

This seems right, but it's possible Shaw has the raw talent to put together a fine 4-5 game stretch and Valencia is solid.

The answer is yes. Mourinho + De Gea + Pogba + speed in attack (Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku) is a clear and simple formula for parking the bus and beating superior teams. Bailly coming back could really help. He's the right age to make a leap if he's healthy, and we'll need some excellent defending from our CBs with the amount of possession we'll concede. Also worth noting that while he's struggled this year, Herrera is more than capable of harrying top players and being a nuisance in the midfield.

Apart from the question mark at LB, this is a pretty formidable team for playing ugly football and getting a goal on the break with Mourinho pulling the string defensively:

----Lukaku/Sanchez---------
Martial--------Sanchez/Lingard
----Pogba--Herrera------
---------Matic------------
Shaw----------------Valencia
---Jones/Rojo--Bailly-----------
--------De Gea---------------
It's going to be a while before Jose trusts Shaw over Young in a CL tie. Which is a shame as Young has been one of the biggest culprits of our hoof fests in big games.

koop

Sanchez gives us some extra firepower but given how shaky we've looked at the back in some games this season I would say no. The better teams will punish some of the slack defending we've been getting away with in some games.
This.

Many posts on here are saying how strong we are defensively and how we are sorted at the back.

I just don't see it, every match against poor attackers we make such silly and horrible mistakes defensively. If we were against good strikers/players like the ones in champions league, we will concede enough to lose games.

2plus2is4

Supports
Ze Germans
Barca, Madrid and Bayern are weaker then a few seasons ago, whereas PSG and City look like the teams to beat to win this time.
Let's see how far we can go!

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
What concerns over our defence is there??

We have the best defence in the league, and the best keeper in the world, so prey do tell what issues with our defence are there??

Plus should the point not be, could the opposition hold out our attackers??
Smalling and Jones will probably get found out and Matic will need more support, IMO.

Rampant-red

We have an outside chance of the champions league but thinking Sanchez will be the missing piece to achieve this , I still think we are a good bit away compared to City, Barcelona, PSG and Real Madrid. United would be on the top second tier with the likes of Chelsea, Munich and Juve.

We are not far from becoming a very strong force once again and I would think once we have strengthened in some of our weak areas then we will move to the top tier.

we will get there but its gonna take another season or so.

wolvored

If and it' a big if we can keep to the easier teams to the semis then anything is possible. Who really thought we would win the europa last year tge way we were playing. If we get to the semis maybe belief from the team will get us to the final and then anything can happen

Kapardin

I would absolutely love to draw City or PSG in the quarterfinals...get rid of them early ;)
I am torn between wanting to draw City in the QF after all the shit that went down in the tunnel this season, or drawing Liverpool to avenge our humiliation in the Europa.

City aren't as tough as PSG or Barca, as is being claimed and I think we can do them over two legs with Jose's tactics.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why not. Even Besiktas and Shakhtar Donetsk have a chance

It's a cup, three ties of two games than a final. If luck's on your side. Worse teams than this United have won it, and in the most ludicrous of circumstances. Porto won it by beating United(3rd in PL that season iirc), Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco

United could very well face Sevilla-Roma-Liverpool on their way to the final. Then the final is one game. Even if it's Barcelona, park the bus for 120 minutes and win it on penalties...

Heath.1967

i think we can, as Jose is a cup manager and i think we could beat all of those teams except for maybe barca,psg, and city but luck still play a role in here who knows ?

and by the way inter team of 2010 is massively underrated, it was a very strong team which could beat any team in 2018 champions league without anyone being surprised

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Anything can happen, but I don't think we're good enough. Reckon our defence will get pulled apart if a good team comes at us with any intensity.

These kind of threads always happen after a good signing, but the change is never drastic enough, as good as this one is.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We will win it! seriously though, on a good day, this United team can beat any of the teams in the competition over 2 legs. If (big IF; De Gea, Pogba, Sanchez and Martial have to be available for all games) we go through to the final, the only team I would say United will lose to is Barca while for other teams it is 50/50.

Last edited:

RU Devil

Quite possible. Get past Sevilla, of course our odds get better as at least 3 real contenders will have been knocked out. It really is all about the draw. A 2 legged tie vs Barca or City gives us a better chance than a winner take all final.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
By being the best team no, by doing a Chelsea/Liverpool, highly unlikely but not impossible.

Number1

Our starting 11 now (and squad) on paper pisses all over the Manchester United that lost the Champions League final against Barcelona 2011.

rotherham_red

Could you imagine if we did. The media who have been fawning over City and Pep wouldn't have a clue how to spin it, and we would well and truly have overshadowed them :keano:

J_Red 11

Our starting 11 now (and squad) on paper pisses all over the Manchester United that lost the Champions League final against Barcelona 2011.
DDG
Valencia Rio Vidic Evra
Pogba Carrick Giggs
Sanchez Rooney Martial/Nani

Sanchez, Valencia, DDG & Pogba or Martial (since Nani didn't start) can get into that 2011 XI.

To me it's 50:50 but that 2011 team has more winning mentality players & experienced players to actually can win major trophy.

Fitchett

If history repeats itself, then YES!

I'm old enough to remember seeing us draw 2-2 at home with Burnley in the 1960's, when we scored twice in the last four minutes to equalise. I looked up the year and it was early in the 1967/8 season. City went on to win the league, as United finished 2nd and won the European Cup. An omen for this season perhaps :drool:

Eire Red United

Real, in their current form, is no better than Liverpool or Spurs or Utd. I think we have better chance of winning CL than EPL. Ironically, due to runaway lead of Barca, BM, PSG and City, apart from these 4 teams, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs, can afford to rest players between CL games and put higher priority on CL progress. let's see who we will face in QF.
Real will always be dangerous in the CL knockouts, they’ve got a team full of game changing, big game players and Ronaldo will be determined as feck to prove the doubters wrong. Not saying they’ll win it or even that they’re big favourites against PSG, but you can never write them off.

rio's upper lip

Any team in it can still win it.

That said, feck no. We're too impotent up front and we're always prone to defensive lapses with the likes of Smalling, Jones, Rojo and even Bailly in central defense. The likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Man City will put us under severe pressure for both legs if we ever get to face them and I just don't think we're good enough to hold out for 180 minutes defensively AND score enough goals to go through.

Eire Red United

it's between city and barca....no other teams are on their level currently
City are seriously, seriously overrated on here. Any of the big boys will beat them without too much difficulty imo, Liverpool showed the way and most top European teams, unlike the Scouse realise the need to actually defend to a competent standard. I’d even back us over City in a two legged tie and definitely, definitely in a final if it came to that. PSG without a doubt are at least on Barca’s level btw.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Any team in it can still win it.

That said, feck no. We're too impotent up front and we're always prone to defensive lapses with the likes of Smalling, Jones, Rojo and even Bailly in central defense. The likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Man City will put us under severe pressure for both legs if we ever get to face them and I just don't think we're good enough to hold out for 180 minutes defensively AND score enough goals to go through.
How on earth can anyone with a sane mind AFTER we have signed Sanchez say that we are impotent up front???!!!

Madness in the extreme!!

We have scored plenty of goals this season, so how you can come to the conclusion I have no idea whatsoever.

So much negativity, just so much that is wrong here with your post.

We most certainly have a huge chance of winning, and are easily the best of the English teams in the competition.

haram

Yes.

City didn’t really create clear chances against us, their goals came from two mistakes from our striker at set pieces. We can defend and have enough in attack over two legs. We kept Liverpool out, beat both Spurs and Arsenal. Only lost 1-0 to Chelsea without Pogba.

PSG, Barca (if teams go at them) and Real are all suspect at the back. Bayern and Juve are not exactly in imperious form this season.

Still have Bailly to come back. Pogba is back fit now. We have the best keeper in the world. We have now added Sanchez.

Last edited:

OK777

Very good chance of going far in the competition. My first reaction when the Sanchez deal was complete was that Mourinho now wants to make a statement in the UCL with this squad.

Not saying the PL is done and dusted, but I definitely think the UCL should be the top priority.

If Mourinho has won the UCL with a team like Porto, he can definitely do it with our squad!

rio's upper lip

How on earth can anyone with a sane mind AFTER we have signed Sanchez say that we are impotent up front???!!!

Madness in the extreme!!

We have scored plenty of goals this season, so how you can come to the conclusion I have no idea whatsoever.

So much negativity, just so much that is wrong here with your post.

We most certainly have a huge chance of winning, and are easily the best of the English teams in the competition.
That's a lot of emotion for one post.

Easily the best of the remaining English teams? Do me a favor.

Sanchez hasn't played a minute for us as of yet. If we exclude the first 6-7 games of our season, our attacking play has been flat for large periods. There's no guarantee Sanchez will remedy this, although we are certainly a stronger team than we were a week ago. It's more down to the style of play than the actual ability of our players, and another attacker - albeit an excellent one - won't necessarily fix that by himself. Just look at what happened when Mata arrived in 2014.

It's no shame to admit that we haven't exactly set the world alight with our attacking play for the last 2-3 months. We're not a bad side, far from it, but we're not as good as some of the remaining teams in the competition. Simple. A "huge chance of winning" is an absolutely bonkers statement. A chance, yes, but a huge one, absolutely not.

Cypriot

I feel like our 'shakiness' at the back comes more from the fact that we don't take our chances up front and so we end up defending a narrow 1 goal lead far too often. I'm hoping Sanchez will help change that.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah. I’m choosing to believe. We are still not a really top team yet but I’m sure we have more than enough to compete at least. Worse teams than us have definitely won it and we aren’t going to win the league so Jose will absolutely go for it I’d say.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
No goals or assists from Sanchez yet at United, not sure that is winning form! But at least he can play the Champions League Anthem on the piano!

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
That's a lot of emotion for one post.

Easily the best of the remaining English teams? Do me a favor.

Sanchez hasn't played a minute for us as of yet. If we exclude the first 6-7 games of our season, our attacking play has been flat for large periods. There's no guarantee Sanchez will remedy this, although we are certainly a stronger team than we were a week ago. It's more down to the style of play than the actual ability of our players, and another attacker - albeit an excellent one - won't necessarily fix that by himself. Just look at what happened when Mata arrived in 2014.

It's no shame to admit that we haven't exactly set the world alight with our attacking play for the last 2-3 months. We're not a bad side, far from it, but we're not as good as some of the remaining teams in the competition. Simple. A "huge chance of winning" is an absolutely bonkers statement. A chance, yes, but a huge one, absolutely not.
Of course Sanchez has not played for us yet, but he comes with a great pedigree and a great stature in the game, so he will most likely improve our attack, it is madness to think that he won't have any effect at all.

If you look at the ties, a fair few good teams will be eliminated in this next round, which goes even more in our favour of we can beat Sevilla, as we really should be doing.

After that, whomever we draw, we should scare them, just as much, if not more then we should be scared of them, there really is no stand out, odds on favourite side in the competition, each team has flaws (ourselves included), however we have a good balanced side, we are good going forward, and any side with Dave in net is always a good side defensively.

So I don't see how in such a tournament that rewards good defending, how the best English defence cannot be considered as the best English side in the competition, especially when you combine that with our attacking options.
We really should be dissatisfied and disappointed with anything less than a semi final place.

There should be a fair amount of confidence in this side, we won a European trophy last season, so there is no reason why we cannot emulate that feat by doing so this season.

Will there be good teams left after this round, yes of course, are we one of them if we can get passed Sevilla, yes we most certainly are, us fans should have more belief in a manager who knows how to win this tournament, and has done so on multiple occasions.

Sterling Archer

If history repeats itself, then YES!

I'm old enough to remember seeing us draw 2-2 at home with Burnley in the 1960's, when we scored twice in the last four minutes to equalise. I looked up the year and it was early in the 1967/8 season. City went on to win the league, as United finished 2nd and won the European Cup. An omen for this season perhaps :drool:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Borat Sagdiyev

We're not containing Messi and Co. (or PSG's front line) over two legs. Maybe in a few years, but we're still on the outside looking in as of now.

deafepl

We're not containing Messi and Co. (or PSG's front line) over two legs. Maybe in a few years, but we're still on the outside looking in as of now.
I think Herrera would do a great job in handling Messi like he does with Hazard. Coutinho can't play for Barca this season in UCL

OK777

Am i the only one who thinks this current Jones - Smalling partnership is holding up alright? I think they are both settling in after some run of games.

With a back four of Valencia - Jones - Smalling - Shaw, in form, i believe we are strong enough to contain any of the above mentioned attacks.