Can we get top 5?

romufc

I know we're shit, but come on! Get behind the team for tonight, I'm excited personally, doesn't look like anyone else is though.
I don't see how anyone can be excited, you just have to have one look at the league table. Lose this and we are in huge trouble.

Lee565

I doubt we will finish even in top 6 tbh, the way things are going I think spurs, Chelsea, everton and arsenal will finish above us.

Spurs will be fighting it out with Chelsea for 4th

Arsenal seem to showing a small improvement under arteta.

Everton are enjoying a good run under Ancelotti and I rate him highly that I doubt they will go on a bad run of 6 or 7 games.

We look really poor and struggling to find goals again.

TRUERED89

Feel slightly sorry for Bruno here being thrown into a mixed-bag of a side and is instantly carrying the weight of being our main creative source from deep.

That's going to be detrimental to the team and him, feck playing him CDM. If Ole does we'll have Mata 2.0 on our hands (just being wasted positionally).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Top 5 ? Would be lucky to finish in top 10. Things are going to get worse. Just be prepared for it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't see how anyone can be excited, you just have to have one look at the league table. Lose this and we are in huge trouble.
I've parked my doubts for tonight, I'm excited to see more of Bruno and I'd like Ighalo to play a role. I may be setting myself up for a huge crash but I'm genuinely excited to see how we shape up later on.

As to the thread I'm thinking tonight is huge for our CL ambitions via the league; draw tonight and we're struggling, lose tonight and we're fecked.

TRUERED89

We are in serious trouble if we lose I agree, but its Man Utd vs Chelsea at the Bridge so yes I am excited, Ole's had a 100% record there so far. With Bruno who should be a bit more comfortable with the team now, Matic in for that guy who calls himself a footballer (Andreas). Also Ighalo to come on hopefully cause their average CB's some trouble. I'm cautiously optimistic as Chelsea are equally as shite as we are.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I'm not interested in getting into a debate about where we 'should be' after spending whatever. That's for another thread.

Right now in the race for 4th/5th I believe we don't have the goals in us that Chelsea and Spurs do. We don't have a Son or the creativity Chelsea have. Like I say, unless Bruno and Ighalo hit the ground running.
Chelsea NOW seem to have a better squad than us but as you say that's for another thread. At best I'd put Spurs and our squads on the same par. What it's going to boil down to is the managers. Their team selections, tactics etc etc. Oles first big test.

El Zoido

No because we can barely string two league wins together, let alone go on the kind of run that would secure a CL place.

romufc

I've parked my doubts for tonight, I'm excited to see more of Bruno and I'd like Ighalo to play a role. I may be setting myself up for a huge crash but I'm genuinely excited to see how we shape up later on.

As to the thread I'm thinking tonight is huge for our CL ambitions via the league; draw tonight and we're struggling, lose tonight and we're fecked.
I always go into every game thinking we can do something, then end up being totally dissapointed.

I believe on our day we can beat anyone, recently those days are getting further and further apart.

When was our last good performance? been over 6 weeks?

I think the next few weeks will be vital, Ole was crying about legs and fitness, now it is all about performances, if they don't deliver what excuse will he have?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We need to draw or win today to have a chance at top 4. We would still have a chance at top 5 with a loss today.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We’ve got to show a bit of faith... I think a win tonight would do the players confidence a lot of good and then hopefully kickstart a decent run... if we can get 6 points out of next 2 games and then with some players coming back we will look a lot stronger.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Forget it. This season was over when summer window closed. Another season passing by and this team is absolutely unprepared for any serious challenge.

James Ward

We are 9th, Lose tonight and its game over for fourth and probably fifth I reckon. I still think 4th/5th spot will go to Spurs and Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised if we finished 12th this season, but sure you know the team is only kids and there learning every day. They still don't understand Ole's philosophy of the club and his counter attacking tactics. Once they start understanding the Ole way we will still be a mid table club under him.

Just sack him now.

TRUERED89

Chelsea NOW seem to have a better squad than us but as you say that's for another thread. At best I'd put Spurs and our squads on the same par. What it's going to boil down to is the managers. Their team selections, tactics etc etc. Oles first big test.
It's far from Ole's first big test, but this season he's failed way more than passed that's for sure.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I always go into every game thinking we can do something, then end up being totally dissapointed.

I believe on our day we can beat anyone, recently those days are getting further and further apart.

When was our last good performance? been over 6 weeks?

I think the next few weeks will be vital, Ole was crying about legs and fitness, now it is all about performances, if they don't deliver what excuse will he have?
I don't disagree, I accept it's a choice I've made to put my many doubts about the team and coaching staff to one side. In terms of excuses two of the reasonable complaints; lack of resources at Ole's disposal and an overall tiredness in the squad, have been alleviated to some extent with Bruno, Ighalo and a warm weather break. I suppose there's still two or three players Ole would like back in Rashford, Pogba and McTominay so that'll be mentioned should we struggle in the next few games, but for me there will be no excuses as to why Ole can't get any half-decent football out of the players he does have available and make a proper push for top four/five.

But yeah, for now at least, excited and hopeful :devil:

romufc

I don't disagree, I accept it's a choice I've made to put my many doubts about the team and coaching staff to one side. In terms of excuses two of the reasonable complaints; lack of resources at Ole's disposal and an overall tiredness in the squad, have been alleviated to some extent with Bruno, Ighalo and a warm weather break. I suppose there's still two or three players Ole would like back in Rashford, Pogba and McTominay so that'll be mentioned should we struggle in the next few games, but for me there will be no excuses as to why Ole can't get any half-decent football out of the players he does have available and make a proper push for top four/five.

But yeah, for now at least, excited and hopeful :devil:
Yep, regardless of the negativity we still watch the games hoping for a good result.

TRUERED89

We need to draw or win today to have a chance at top 4. We would still have a chance at top 5 with a loss today.
Top 5 is meaningless, City wont have the ban upheld imo, and even if they do it probably wont kick in till 21/22 season.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If Ole gets sacked tomorrow morning, then we might have a chance, depending on who comes in as an interim manager but with him -- no, not a chance.

Godfather

Never been easier to get there. All teams are shocking apart from Pool and City. If Ole fails to get us top 5 there can't be any more excuses for him.

Paul_Scholes18

Cool man, how do things work over there ;)? anyways I'd rather Liverpool win the league than mancheater city, Pains me saying but also that we are cannot affect Liverpool winning the league even if do the impossible and win all the remaining games so early in Feb.
Well not sure. I got it wrong though hehe. Just remembered we had a chance this friday and forget they won and got 3 more point.
I am naturally not looking at the table that much right now.

Alabaster Codify7

Of course we can make top 5, but whether we will is another story. It's not looking likely at all. 7-10th is where we'll end up.

Robbie Boy

If Fernandes can do the job of a number 10 when others have failed, then we can achieve top 5 finish. Whilst the overall play has been poor to watch, we are still a pretty difficult team to beat. Our lack of goal threat is what is holding us back. Hopefully, Igahlo can chip in with a few goals.
Win a few games and will players coming back, we can gather some momentum.
Ultimately, if we don't, Ole will lose his job as he has been backed in the market now and even Woodward has indicated that we have spent £200m in a recent interview, so he will want a return.
Are we really though? The following is a list of PL teams with less league defeats (or the same number) than us this season: Liverpool, City, Leicester, Wolves, Arsenal, Sheffield United, Chelsea and Spurs.

laughtersassassin

We have a good enough team too but no we won't make top 5.

We have been underperforming most of the season. It's not going to change now.

gerdm07

Top 5 is meaningless, City wont have the ban upheld imo, and even if they do it probably wont kick till 21/22 season.
You don't know that. Besides, 5th is better then 6th, 7th or 8th. I definitely keep Ole if we finish 5th and are playing better football. So 5th is very meaningful for many people and it might help us attract good players in the summer.

TRUERED89

You don't know that. Besides, 5th is better then 6th, 7th or 8th. I definitely keep Ole if we finish 5th and are playing better football. So 5th is very meaningful for many people and it might help us attract good players in the summer.
finishing 5th is only better than 7th is we get CL (due to City ban). Otherwise Ole should be relieved of his duties. No CL, no job, just how all his predecessors suffered.

gerdm07

finishing 5th is only better than 7th is we get CL (due to City ban). Otherwise Ole should be relieved of his duties. No CL, no job, just how all his predecessors suffered.
Mou made the CL and was sacked in December. Not sure you know what you are talking about.

fps

I feel with the top five being the qualification target and the horror shows by rivals that Ole simply must be measured by whether he gets CL football for next season. He has every opportunity. I believe this match will be a score draw.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I feel with the top five being the qualification target and the horror shows by rivals that Ole simply must be measured by whether he gets CL football for next season. He has every opportunity. I believe this match will be a score draw.
That's possibly cutting him too much slack for me. Getting in by finishing 5th on 50-odd points, and that's all we might need wouldn't be enough for me.

5th (or better) and winning 10 or more of our remaining games would be more like it, or winning the EL with a strong finish to the league season on top. He needs to do something special at this point.

bonothom

That's going to be detrimental to the team and him, feck playing him CDM. If Ole does we'll have Mata 2.0 on our hands (just being wasted positionally).
Yep very much agree. Bruno has goals and assists by the bucket load and playing him as a CDM is just a waste. But with this manager it's probably what will happen.

edcunited1878

Couldn't careless about Europe right now, whether it's Champions League or Europa. United need a complete break from Europe if we're all being honest and need to focus domestically and earn their way back up the table. No need to "back into" Europe based on the financial smokescreen provided by City. United need to earn their way and as Fergie said, we've always done it the hard way...but United have made it way too hard on themselves + the external factors that they can't control (i.e. strengthening of rivals, competitive nature of the league, better talent in other teams, etc.).

Need to continue building talent from within the academy and get better quality in the first team - players and coaches.

Banana Republic

I didn’t think we’d win tonight and with Everton, City and Spurs coming up, until kick off I thought we’d end up between 7th and 10 th place by the end if the season.
Having beaten Chelsea it changes everything.

Had it not been for that sh*t result against Burnley and if we had won that game instead, we would now be in 4th place, above Chelsea on goal difference.
But we didn’t and we’re 3 points behind and vying with Chelsea, Spurs, Everton, Sheffield Utd and Wolves, with Arsenal on our tail and sneaking up.
The next two games are going to be vital. Home against a dogged and rejuvenated Watford and away at an improving Everton.
We need to win those two games and looking at the competition’s next few fixtures and the likely results, it’s game on.