Can we have that talk? Beckham vs. De Bruyne for the greatest crosser of a football, perhaps ever?

Who is a better crosser?

• Total voters

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Well, Beckham, for many people, myself included, is the best crosser of a football there has ever been in football, so by proxy, if De Bruyne, is "versing" him, then he is immediately catapulted into that conversation.

It sounds pretty weird to ask if De Bruyne might be the best crosser of a football *ever* whilst it's very much the norm for Beckham's name to be floated about when the subject of crossing is broached. Perhaps there's a hint of modern player prejudice there? Because De Bruyne's crossing is phenomenal, isn't it?

Is this a landslide, though? Is there any kind of cross you think De Bruyne is actually better than Beckham at? Or actually, do you think De Bruyne is a better crosser, outright?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Beckham, KDB the better all round footballer but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who could strike a ball like Beckham.
I think KDB is better at driving a cross or pass along the ground hard and low but that is literallly it.

Sambob

I hope KDB falls off his bike. Our David is a lovely boy and there is a reason he is called golden balls.

predator

Youth NITK
I say De Bruyne. He's very good with his left aswell and his variety of crosses surpasses Beckham in my opinion.

I may be biased because hes my favourite footballer to watch.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
De Bruyne is an absolute master of the low drilled crosses. They are insanely accurate. But Beckham probably still is the best crosser IMO, he could do it in his sleep.

TheReligion

Abusive
Think people forget how good Beckham was as a footballer. He played at the highest level for a very long time. I'd say you're massively underrating him to suggest KDB is the better all round footballer too. There was much more to Beckham than crosses and kicks but given the company he had in the teams he played for it gets overlooked.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Beckham. De Bruyne has more in his locker but Beckham’s vision and delivery is unique and a level above anything anyone else has come close to.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Think people forget how good Beckham was as a footballer. He played at the highest level for a very long time. I'd say you're massively underrating him to suggest KDB is the better all round footballer too. There was much more to Beckham than crosses and kicks but given the company he had in the teams he played for it gets overlooked.
Yeah, this is true. His work rate was brilliant.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
KDB’s a phenomenon. Reminds me of Gerrard with his driving forward runs....only he’s a better all-round footballer, and not a total cnut

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Becks all day long

De Bruyne I've said for years is the closest thing to Becks since him but De Bruyne is more Gerrard like with his crosses along the ground where as Becks would literally just drop them balls straight into his CF's head

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Beckham by a long mile. In reality, KDB had one amazing season, couple years ago. The next season he was injured and mostly recovering. And this season he is good, but far from the best. KDB cannot compete with the likes of Beckham just on the back of one, granted amazing, season. Most people are comparing top KDB with top Beckham here, but overall career and achievements should be weighed-in.

GlasgowCeltic

I'm not even sure de Bruyne is the better all rounder. I think in the modern game Beckham would play the position de Bruyne does and probably be better at it. I'd say its only pace he falls short of him.

Hoof the ball

I'm not even sure de Bruyne is the better all rounder. I think in the modern game Beckham would play the position de Bruyne does and probably be better at it. I'd say its only pace he falls short of him.
That's highly speculative. de Bruyne is at the top of his position, so for Beckham to be better he'd quite literally have to be the best no.10 in the world. Now, I would argue that in the modern game, Beckham would be an even better overall player than in his prime. Energy, work-rate, range of passing, creativity, long range shooting, crossing, free-kicks.

Every player can cross the ball well, to do it under pressure and when it counts, time and time again, is what makes the great players. Beckham is unrivalled there. KDB is not even close.

youngrell

De Bruyne is very creative and I believe his passing and crossing along the floor is better than Beckham, but when it comes to long range passing and aerial crosses it’s not even a contest, Beckham all day.

Actually think up til now, Beckham is the better overall player too. If you watch De Bruyne a lot, you will see he can be quite wasteful at times, he really plays a percentage game with his creative passing but when he gets it right it’s usually stunning.

He has time to catch/overtake Becks though.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I would take KDB over Beckham, but for crosses? Beckham all day.

Josep Dowling

Let’s not forget Beckham came second in the ballon d’or in 1998/99. He really is underrated. In his prime he was a fantastic footballer not just great at crossing and freekicks.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
This might be the craziest opinion I have ever read here. This is taking your team bias to an extreme. Because if this was said anywhere outside a United forum you would get laughed at

mu4c_20le

Beckham and it's not even close. He can ping it from anywhere and find a head in the box.

Blackwidow

Were the strikers Beckham served small or tall? DeBruyne was a really great crosser with Bas Dost as striker at Wolfsburg...

meamth

Even video games Beckham can't do what the real Beckham can, putting crosses like auto assisted setting.

Just watch Beckham 1999 highlights and I believe there is no comparison at all.

Beckham is the better player and the better crosser.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We talk about guy and his two consecutive crosses winning his team CL final in 1999 and on top of that Beckenbauer himself tipping him for best footballer in 2000.

Beckham changed football by introducing his way of performing freekicks. De Bruyne while being superb player really not exploring anything new there.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just ridiculous. He almost forced Ronaldo to score there, not a hint of movement and nothing really to hit.

For my money De Bruyne's a more versatile crosser, and clearly the better player, but Beckham's best was as close to perfection as you could get.

Martialfc

I’d have to go KDB over Beckham. Some of the things he’s been doing on the pitch are ridiculous. He will be in the conversation with the likes of Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard at the end of his career. Still a long way to go though.. Thinking about it. He’s probably better than Gerrard already to be honest..

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
In another thread, I said Beckham's the closest analog to KDB I can think of.

Beckham takes it for me, better crosser overall, especially at dead balls. KDB is better at the cross/through-ball hybrid that evades the entire defense. Beckham is a dream for your old school striker, will place it right on your forehead so sweet you just kiss it into the net

And I've said this everytime Beckham is discussed... He still remains underrated. Yeah he had drive and all but his technical skill doesn't get enough mention. His only weakness was probably dribbling on the ball

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Beckham might be underrated in his overall footballing ability, but that doesn't mean he was as good as KDB. As mentioned already KDB is more versatile and can dribble up the pitch with pace and also create great chances with through-balls and crosses. But for aerial crossing from the wing, Beckham is the best.

Eddy_JukeZ

Beckham to me.

He is just perfection when it comes to crossing a ball.

He has become so underrated IMO as the years have gone by in terms of his general ability too.