Can we judge a player's commitment to the sport from his social media?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is a spin-off from Pogba's blue hair discussion by Neville.

Neville tears into Pogba ahead of kick-off
Paul Pogba’s decision to sport a blue hairstyle for today’s game has not gone down well with the former United defender...

“The problem with Pogba is he doesn’t help himself.

“I always think if you’re wise you don’t attract attention when things aren’t going your way.

“Pogba doesn’t work like that.

“He’s got a big job to do, he’s got to be serious about football.

“Coming out here with blue hair today, win and it’s fine, lose and it will be talked about forever more by City and United fans.

“It’s ridiculous.”

Generally I wouldn't much mind about what the players have to do on social media or what their hairstyle is like, provided it looks like they are mutually exclusive to the performances on the pitch and not a reflection of any sort of distraction.

I can't honestly look at Pogba's performances however and say that he shows much commitment or hunger on the pitch throughout this season.

If we see a player off form and under much scrutiny then look seemingly overjoyed and celebratory on his social media whilst focusing on different colours for his hair every month, is it wrong to suggest they have some priorities wrong? I'm sure that's what my boss would think of me if I were chronically under performing and I don't even have a job close to the level of scrutiny of his.

I'm posting this thread before derby kick off and would LOVE to see him put in a great performance today but whether he does or doesn't shouldn't affect the discussion of this thread because I'm talking on a higher level note.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
No we can't, but no one would give a toss about your off the field antics if you delivered the goods on the field as well.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
And what if you had a terribly poor season?
Then people will start to look for reasons, like falling out with the manager or lacking focus.

Do you think Neville would be harping on about Pogba's hair if he had a KDB season?

padr81

Supports
Man City
No, people in their early 20s with millions of pounds are going to do silly things. Pogba is a great player but he's not a tough guy. his hairstyle, His posture, his social media are just that of a wealthy young man.

Jose said it best, lampard at 23 was a man, 23 year olds today not so much. Nothing to do with his commitment.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No. He’s a 25 year old tee total extrovert who has interest in fashion and music.

It’s a damn better commitment than someone like Rooney who kept it low key on social media but got pissed regularly and let his body fall into disrepair. Obviously Rooney huffed and puffed and put in a few late challenges so was fully committed to the cause.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No, the only people that can judge is those that train and play with him.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No. He’s a 25 year old tee total extrovert who has interest in fashion and music.

It’s a damn better commitment than someone like Rooney who kept it low key on social media but got pissed regularly and let his body fall into disrepair. Obviously Rooney huffed and puffed and put in a few late challenges so was fully committed to the cause.
:lol: exactly

Cloud7

Absolutely not. The amount of focus that’s put on players social media presence is ridiculous. Pogba seems to be the biggest victim of all. Posting pictures and dancing videos does NOT mean you aren’t committed to the sport.

You don’t need to be an angry Irish man who spends his spare time sitting in the corner of the pub by yourself to be effective on the field.

There are many possibilities as to why Pogs isn’t performing to the level we know he can, but social media is not on that list.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, but it's Pogba so ofcourse you will @VP89
I was on record to say I didn't want to sign Pogba for 90m EUR when we got him and even made a thread to see if other posters thought we could have better spent the money. I don't think he's close to a 90m player (or even half that) since he's joined by way of performances. However I've followed his social media and general life style on instagram since his Juve days and never once pointed to it being an issue because he was generally putting in a decent shift.

However it does seem a bit odd that he's been so poor this season, seemingly lazy on the field and when you add that to the stuff he gets up to, its only natural to question whether his commitment is there or not. I'm not saying I have all the information but he just doesn't help himself on social media is all. He will only get more scrutiny from it in bad times.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Then people will start to look for reasons, like falling out with the manager or lacking focus.

Do you think Neville would be harping on about Pogba's hair if he had a KDB season?
Of course not. Because he clearly wouldn't be looking distracted. But he has his loud life style and has been generally tumescent this season. I'm just questioning whether there is enough of a correlation there.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Seriously how tedious is this now?

I change my hairstyle every week, my hair is important to me and I like being expressive with it. Plus the culture of black people and our hairstyles has a long history, plus for men in particular going to the barber’s is it’s own seperate experience/culture.

There is nothing wrong with changing your hairstyle, enjoying life, smiling and having fun with your friends and it doesn’t represent how dedicated you are to your expression.

Varun

Staff
I was on record to say I didn't want to sign Pogba for 90m EUR when we got him and even made a thread to see if other posters thought we could have better spent the money. I don't think he's close to a 90m player (or even half that) since he's joined by way of performances. However I've followed his social media and general life style on instagram since his Juve days and never once pointed to it being an issue because he was generally putting in a decent shift.

However it does seem a bit odd that he's been so poor this season, seemingly lazy on the field and when you add that to the stuff he gets up to, its only natural to question whether his commitment is there or not. I'm not saying I have all the information but he just doesn't help himself on social media is all. He will only get more scrutiny from it in bad times.
You're basically proving my point. You've been obsessed with shitting on Pogba for a while now.

Next up: He was pointing towards Madrid during the dab celebration, the prick wants off!

cyberman

Absolutely not. The amount of focus that’s put on players social media presence is ridiculous. Pogba seems to be the biggest victim of all. Posting pictures and dancing videos does NOT mean you aren’t committed to the sport.

You don’t need to be an angry Irish man who spends his spare time sitting in the corner of the pub by yourself to be effective on the field.

There are many possibilities as to why Pogs isn’t performing to the level we know he can, but social media is not on that list.
Irish?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're basically proving my point. You've been obsessed with shitting on Pogba for a while now.

Next up: He was pointing towards Madrid during the dab celebration, the prick wants off!
Because I thought we could have better spent 90m EUR I've been "obsessed with shitting on Pogba for a while". How did you get there?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Seriously how tedious is this now?

I change my hairstyle every week, my hair is important to me and I like being expressive with it. Plus the culture of black people and our hairstyles has a long history, plus for men in particular going to the barber’s is it’s own seperate experience/culture.

There is nothing wrong with changing your hairstyle, enjoying life, smiling and having fun with your friends and it doesn’t represent how dedicated you are to your expression.
The hair is just referencing what Neville had to say today as an example. My point is that his lifestyle looks to be filled with lots of distractions and I wondered if there is any correlation between the end-to-end social life he has and his level of performances.

Varun

Staff
Because I thought we could have better spent 90m EUR I've been "obsessed with shitting on Pogba for a while". How did you get there?
Your posts about him since the transfer was done and the "money can be better spent" ship sailed?

MichaelRed

Only exceptionally stupid people think so.
I'd disagree. It depends what is going on their social media. If Rooney had been slowing down with us, whilst simultaneously posting pictures of him and his mates at a pub every 2 days I think it'd be exceptionally stupid not to question his commitment.

Hawks2008

Not at all. I don't get the fixation on how a players choose to outwardly express themselves tbh.

Varun

Staff
Your posts about him since the transfer was done and the "money can be better spent" ship sailed?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have only criticised him when he's been performing shite for us. And I didn't think he was a worth 90m only at the time of transfer (or just before it was completed). That doesn't make me obsessed about shitting on him. I've said Id love him to succeed for us.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The hair is just referencing what Neville had to say today as an example. My point is that his lifestyle looks to be filled with lots of distractions and I wondered if there is any correlation between the end-to-end social life he has and his level of performances.
The point is he’s allowed to have a life outside football.
Pogba has been over critiqued and analysed since we signed him for a number of reasons.
That, plus an outdated generation of baby boomers/early generation y’ers who don’t understand social media/millennials and therefore blame everything on both.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This same argument was used with Lingard but isn't now because he has started to play well.

There's no co-relation with social media activities and form.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The point is he’s allowed to have a life outside football.
Pogba has been over critiqued and analysed since we signed him for a number of reasons.
That, plus an outdated generation of baby boomers/early generation y’ers who don’t understand social media/millennials and therefore blame everything on both.
Of course he is. I'm not against social media and I'm not actively trying to trash his lifestyle or pick on him because he's Paul Pogba. I'm just questioning whether he has too many distractions in his social life and is failing to prioritise improving his game because of it.

Having millions of dollars at 25 and building your own brand outside of football is most certainly a distraction. It may well not be enough of a distraction to hinder your commitment on the pitch (which is what all posters are saying in this thread) but I'm just questioning whether it is given how progressively worse his performances have been since he joined on a bumper contract to Manchester United.

Varun

Staff
Just imagine how good Ronaldo would be if he was committed to the sport instead of fussing about how he looks, his hairstyle etc.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'd disagree. It depends what is going on their social media. If Rooney had been slowing down with us, whilst simultaneously posting pictures of him and his mates at a pub every 2 days I think it'd be exceptionally stupid not to question his commitment.
That's got nothing to do with social media.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just imagine how good Ronaldo would be if he was committed to the sport instead of fussing about how he looks, his hairstyle etc.
Fair point. I find Ronaldo a specimen in terms of commitment though - he is notoriously over committed to being the best at the sport.