Can we talk about how bad Daniel Levy is for Spurs yet?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Don't really see how this is seen as Levy being a shrewd negotiator unless Kane has agreed an extension. Turned down £100m last summer, £86m this summer and if he leaves on a free it seems a terrible move. They aren't in the CL and I don't think they'll make it back in this year, the thread title is spot on.
.... I don't think Levy's a shrewd negotiator...

tomaldinho1

.... I don't think Levy's a shrewd negotiator...
Currently driving Bavarian's insane. This shrewd negotiator's reputation did not proceed him, apparently.

Funny to watch from the outside.
I assume you meant precede rather than proceed but otherwise not sure what I am missing?

RedStarUnited

Don't really see how this is seen as Levy being a shrewd negotiator unless Kane has agreed an extension. Turned down £100m last summer, £86m this summer and if he leaves on a free it seems a terrible move. They aren't in the CL and I don't think they'll make it back in this year, the thread title is spot on.
The alternative is you sell Kane, and have to spend nearly as much for a striker who wont be as good as him. We just paid £64m for a 20 year old prodigy, Goncalo Ramos is going PSG for about £70m - its a bad market for a striker. It is a gamble, but it might be one worth taking and hoping you can use Kane's loyalty and get him to sign a contract extension with a set fee release clause.

Swedish_Plumber

Levy kept Kane for so long but didn’t once think about helping Poch build a team that could optimise having such a WC goal scorer. The two years of not spending a dime and then sacking Poch for starting to go backwards is about as bad as it can get.

He then replaced him with a string of managers that were against everything that spurs team were good at. Hes in the same bracket as Woodward in terms of running a club.

tomaldinho1

The alternative is you sell Kane, and have to spend nearly as much for a striker who wont be as good as him. We just paid £64m for a 20 year old prodigy, Goncalo Ramos is going PSG for about £70m - its a bad market for a striker. It is a gamble, but it might be one worth taking and hoping you can use Kane's loyalty and get him to sign a contract extension with a set fee release clause.
The gamble part I get - the market part I'm not sure I agree with. £83m is a huge amount of money for any club but particularly one without CL income, they would play Richarlisson up top (where he's good albeit not elite) so you have Son - Richarlisson - Kulu front 3 and then reinvest elsewhere. That's a good front three. You don't have to try to directly replace Kane (you can't anyway, for me he's quite comfortably the best striker in the world right now) but you accept that this is the last time you can get any kind of fee unless the gamble on him extending works.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I have an unreasonable hate for this guy. We basically handed him, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld and Eriksen for next to nothing because the club was in financial troubles back in 2011/2012 but when we wanted Bergwijn last season, a player that was mostly warming the bench he still felt the need to fleece us.

RedStarUnited

I have an unreasonable hate for this guy. We basically handed him, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld and Eriksen for next to nothing because the club was in financial troubles back in 2011/2012 but when we wanted Bergwijn last season, a player that was mostly warming the bench he still felt the need to fleece us.
Hey you are one to talk, You sold us a dud in VDB, then made us pay over the odds again for Antony.

Thanks for Martinez and ETH though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Has to get something for Kane, 100mil euros is actually a fair offer from Bayern, surprisingly.

FerociousCorgis

didnt they miss out on a huge fee for erikson when he left back in the day? Wonder how much he has cost them by being so greedy. Lose kane on a free and not have 100 million to invest is crazy imo. Especially since nobody really thinks spurs are favorite for UCL spot this season as is. Maybe with the 5th spot they fancy getting that i guess.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Hey you are one to talk, You sold us a dud in VDB, then made us pay over the odds again for Antony.

Thanks for Martinez and ETH though.
DVB we all knew was a weird transfer. Antony had everything to do with the timing the transfer took place.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Bayern should just walk away and do the pre contract for zero in January for next season.

No point in trying to negotiate with the clowns at Spurs. Oh well, at least looks like Lewis will be getting justice served probably finally.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So I've historically leaned more towards the "Levy has done a great job" camp. So much so that I've believed that for anything not above 60m pounds, he's right to tell any inquiring clubs to feck off.

I don't understand what he's doing here. For that price Bayern offered, you take it. Money in the bank, not strengthening any rivals in your league, allow the coach to focus on using Richardson up front... what exactly is he playing at here?

caid

So I've historically leaned more towards the "Levy has done a great job" camp. So much so that I've believed that for anything not above 60m pounds, he's right to tell any inquiring clubs to feck off.

I don't understand what he's doing here. For that price Bayern offered, you take it. Money in the bank, not strengthening any rivals in your league, allow the coach to focus on using Richardson up front... what exactly is he playing at here?
My theory is that hes stretching it out to the last minute to get the highest fee possible and probably keeping the money till january or next summer when people have forgotten about the massive pile of money he got for Kane. They'll be midtable with Kane or Richarlison up front so I guess it might not be an entirely stupid idea.
I think hes an idiot though

TheLord

My theory is that hes stretching it out to the last minute to get the highest fee possible and probably keeping the money till january or next summer when people have forgotten about the massive pile of money he got for Kane. They'll be midtable with Kane or Richarlison up front so I guess it might not be an entirely stupid idea.
I think hes an idiot though
Last minute and then finish outside Europa League places. What's the point?

caid

Last minute and then finish outside Europa League places. What's the point?
Figured he's an idiot covered it. Its clearly not a good plan but in his defence i doubt they'd qualify for the Europa League with Kane anyway

RoyH1

He's terrible for his club. 86 million for a player Kane's age in the last year of his contract should be something he says yes to.. Players and agents take notice of this and it makes Spurs less attractive.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Bayern should just walk away and do the pre contract for zero in January for next season.

No point in trying to negotiate with the clowns at Spurs. Oh well, at least looks like Lewis will be getting justice served probably finally.
I think so too. They could offer Kane £30-50m to sign in January and say they’re not going to offer the same in June.

I can’t see any club offering Kane a signing on fee like that, and none of them can (legally) offer it until June.

Levy will get mugged off. Again. Happens all the time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Kanes going to leave on a free and it's going to be glorious to watch Levy the ballbag squirm. Rejecting that offer is bat shit mental, Levys already stopped Kane leaving to join City and now he's denying him a move to Bayern. Why would Kane sign a new contract?

To put it into perspective, the second half of this season, every single press conference will have the distraction of "will Kane sign on or not?". The circus and distraction is going to be a huge problem for the Manager. Why the feck would Kane sign a new deal? He'll get a fat sign on fee, huge wages and it'll be his last realistic chance of winning any silverware. The fans, players and Manager are going to have this huge cloud floating above Tottenham for the entire season.

Best just sell him now for money, you'll have a short term span where the club goes into mourning but life will move on. The only reason for him to deny the offer is pure greed thinking that Bayern will come back with an even better offer. At this point Bayern should tell Levy to go do one and go for other options before they all get taken.

tomaldinho1

didnt they miss out on a huge fee for erikson when he left back in the day? Wonder how much he has cost them by being so greedy. Lose kane on a free and not have 100 million to invest is crazy imo. Especially since nobody really thinks spurs are favorite for UCL spot this season as is. Maybe with the 5th spot they fancy getting that i guess.
Think of the fees they could have got for players like Dele, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Dembele, Kane in the Poch era - they cashed in on Walker because you can't really say no to that much money for an RB but otherwise they let them all leave on frees or for peanuts from memory? I get there's an argument that they didn't want to be a "selling" club but since getting to the CL final of 18/19 it's been a steady slide down to where they are now.

Zen86

Comes across as a bit of a megalomaniac who doesn’t want to lose face. Rather maintain his tough negotiator image than do what’s best for the club.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It does make me laugh when I read people saying how Spurs are 1bn in debt and the stadium is going to be an issue, I can't tell whether they're being deliberately obtuse or just plain thick.

For a start the stadium is on a long-term low-interest loan, no different to the average house mortgage. I assume that those in here with a mortgage don't consider themselves 100s of thousands of pounds in debt. That is besides the point though as this isn't a house, it's a stadium that absolutely coins it in, it more than pays for itself. Spurs are in a better financial position "£1bn in debt" than they were when debt free and at the old stadium.

I have my gripes with Levy and think he has run his course now but the stadium is one thing he definitely hasn't gotten wrong.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It does make me laugh when I read people saying how Spurs are 1bn in debt and the stadium is going to be an issue, I can't tell whether they're being deliberately obtuse or just plain thick.

For a start the stadium is on a long-term low-interest loan, no different to the average house mortgage. I assume that those in here with a mortgage don't consider themselves 100s of thousands of pounds in debt. That is besides the point though as this isn't a house, it's a stadium that absolutely coins it in, it more than pays for itself. Spurs are in a better financial position "£1bn in debt" than they were when debt free and at the old stadium.

I have my gripes with Levy and think he has run his course now but the stadium is one thing he definitely hasn't gotten wrong.
I dont think a lot of people think he has done poorly on the development front. Great youth training grounds, some of the very best, a luxury lodge for players on the grounds. Redevelopment of the stadium, one of the very best in Europe currently, and a nice commercial district surrounding it, regentrification of the general area. But at the end of the day Tottenham Hotspur is a football club not a construction/development company, and from a footballing perspective he has done poorly and Spurs have gone backwards.

The signings in recent times have been poor, even now Spurs need real quality at CB and went for a youth player in Van de Ven. They shipped 63 goals last season, that is absolutely woeful, were the only teams that shipped more goals than that the teams that got relegated?

Ghostrider318

DVB we all knew was a weird transfer. Antony had everything to do with the timing the transfer took place.
I will shout from the rooftops that DVB was a panic buy. He just did not fit into our system in any shape or form

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I dont think a lot of people think he has done poorly on the development front. Great youth training grounds, some of the very best, a luxury lodge for players on the grounds. Redevelopment of the stadium, one of the very best in Europe currently, and a nice commercial district surrounding it, regentrification of the general area. But at the end of the day Tottenham Hotspur is a football club not a construction/development company, and from a footballing perspective he has done poorly and Spurs have gone backwards.

The signings in recent times have been poor, even now Spurs need real quality at CB and went for a youth player in Van de Ven. They shipped 63 goals last season, that is absolutely woeful, were the only teams that shipped more goals than that the teams that got relegated?
Yeah, as I said, I have my gripes but the stadium isn't one.

Levy got us near the summit through a smart long-term approach but botched it by not capitalising on a position of strength and then tried to recover the missed opportunity with short-term "win now" type moves that a club of our resources was never going to make work. He's basically now having to go back to his roots and start over.

I don't know much about Van de Ven but I'm happy we're looking toward the long-term again. I don't expect much from this season so all I'm really hoping to see is some good football and a foundation that I can believe in. Hopefully we do get another CB in though.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He should have cashed in on Kane long ago and allow Poch to build a new side with the money. Pochettino was his true master-stroke and now he has gone all in with whatever he has left in the hope that Postecoglou will have a similar impact. Poch, 100 million pounds available in the bank and Son still in his peak years. Instead, he gave the keys to Mourinho and Conte, who failed to move the team forward, took huge severance packages and openly humiliated the club.

kundalini

5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 4th, 8th

Built a new stadium

Reached CL final.

I'd say that's a decent record for Spurs. It compares favourably with a lot of teams.

Levy should get credit for appointing Pochettino and blame for some of the more recent managerial appointments that didn't work out.

Whether he sells Kane this summer or lets him go for free in a year, is unlikely to be decisive. The success rate for transfers is 50%. The likes of Brighton and Brentford have shown you can find suitable players for modest fees. Spurs already have a huge number of players.

Last edited:

The Purley King

5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 4th, 8th

Built a new stadium

Reached CL final.

I'd say that's a decent record for Spurs. It compares favourably with a lot of teams.

Levy should get credit for appointing Pochettino and blame for some of the more recent managerial appointments that didn't work out.

Whether he sells Kane this summer or lets him go for free in a year, is unlikely to be decisive. The success rate for transfers is 50%. The likes of Brighton and Brentford have shown you can find suitable players for modest fees. Spurs already have a huge number of players.
How much of that success is due to having the great fortune of having a free gem with Kane though? Quite a lot I would say.
His commercial acumen leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Treating your greatest ever player like shit. Wow.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Treating your greatest ever player like shit. Wow.
I'd say this is OK, they probably hadn't let on to the players he was going yet perhaps?

Anyhow, who cares, it's Spurs.