Can you name 3 players whose transfer value gone up since we bought them

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
You'd pay up to 30 million for Chris Smalling? I have a used car I'd like to sell you.......
Well Sakho went to Palace for £26m, West Brom apparently wanted £30m for Evans. Seems about the right price for him that range.

He's a good defender all in all, dominant in the air, great pace and strength to defend 1v1 and recover, just not particularly good with the ball at his feet and sometimes gets caught out with runs in behind him which happens to the best of them.

Put him in a team who sit in a low-block with no space in behind and he'll be brilliant. Also can get you a few goals from set-pieces.

Steven Seagull

Lots of our players have been deemed shit in the past, have gone on to other clubs to prove they’re not total shit and would’ve commanded a bigger fee. This happens at most of the big English clubs. Evans probably the most obvious recent candidate

meninred

Some pundits were saying that players under mourniho dont improve much unlike pep and thus their stock doesnot go up.

finneh

DDG, Martial, Blind, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Bailly

gza the genius

It's all going to mostly be based on age and contract length rather than what a player has done in his time here anyway. Not too many players we've brought in has had their stock fall down much.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Matic.

As I personally wouldn't sell him for 100 million at this point.
That is probably what he is worth to United at this point and time. However I don't think a single club would pay close to that for him.

Jaybomb

De Gea, Pogba, Martial, Smalling, Bailly and Romero would all go for more than we bought them for. And Lingard and Rashford were free so if we sold Rashford we could probably get 100m+ considering he’s the brightest young English talent and Mbappe went for 160m.... Not that I’d ever consider that option in the first place mind you.

United_We_Stand

If you take transfer market inflation (especially after Neymar deal) into consideration, you'll come to the conclusion that only DDG had his transfer value gone up after we bought him. (I'm talking about major signings only).

We bought Pogba for £94m in the summer of 2016, that's worth £125-150m in the summer of 2018.
Martial deal will eventually go up to €70m (after he reaches 25 caps for France with at least 45 mins per game). €70m in 2015 is worth way more than €100m in today's transfer market.

The main reason why we are here now, is the bad buys we made consistently after SAF's retirement.

Eire Red United

Martial, Pogba and De Gea off the top of my head have increased. Wouldn’t sell them for any amount of money.

Number1

Not getting the 'Martial' shouts, United payed close to £60m for him, so for people to think he's worth more now must mean they think he's worth £70m+

Which club is going to pay £70m+ for Martial? I can't see whats warranted his transfer fee to go up personally, if anything he's a worse player now than when United first signed him, certainly from his first season.

buckooo1978

Not getting the 'Martial' shouts, United payed close to £60m for him, so for people to think he's worth more now must mean they think he's worth £70m+

Which club is going to pay £70m+ for Martial? I can't see whats warranted his transfer fee to go up personally, if anything he's a worse player now than when United first signed him, certainly from his first season.
we paid 35 or something for him- the rest was dependent on clauses many of which are linked to player performance

even saying that in an age where Dembele moved for the fee he did, Lukaku, Morata, Coutinho bids you have to accept a player with Martials ability will be close to 100 million in today's market

Number1

you have to accept a player with Martials ability will be close to 100 million in today's market
I wouldn't. I would say he's ability is overrated on here, he only just recently got back in the France squad (for a friendly) after 18 months of not being selected and only recently got in United's starting 11 after being sat on the bench all season and can see him being back on the bench again at the weekend after his last 2 showings.

For a club to pay £100m for Martial, would have to come from a European giant. No English club would pay £100m for Martial, neither would Barcelona or Madrid as he's not good enough, could see PSG wanting him (due to being French) but couldn't even see them paying £100m for him if I'm being honest.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd be amazed if Jones left for more than £25m. I realise that's a bit more than what we paid, though technically less with inflation (I think).

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
De gea and Pogba for their quality and Romero.

Others might have gone up purely down to inflation not skill.

I think this thread proves that we haven’t picked up any ‘bargains’ or players that we take a punt on in a long time. Instead the players we have bought have been expensive squad players or first teamers. Excluding youth players or Romero (free).

DDG & Smalling - but they have been here so long.

Jones is doubtful given his injury record.

Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Martial are worth about what we paid for them. Same for Bailly - given he’s another player who is injury prone.

Pogba is a definite.

Matic, Carrick, Fellaini, Valencia, Young have very limited sell on value. Certainly wouldn’t get money back on Mata, Shaw, Miki or Herrera.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Every youth player, along with;

Bailly,
Zlatan,
Pogba,
De Gea,
Martial,
Romero.

buckooo1978

I wouldn't. I would say he's ability is overrated on here, he only just recently got back in the France squad (for a friendly) after 18 months of not being selected and only recently got in United's starting 11 after being sat on the bench all season and can see him being back on the bench again at the weekend after his last 2 showings.

For a club to pay £100m for Martial, would have to come from a European giant. No English club would pay £100m for Martial, neither would Barcelona or Madrid as he's not good enough, could see PSG wanting him (due to being French) but couldn't even see them paying £100m for him if I'm being honest.
well the fact Martial wasn't picked for France says more about the idiocy of Deschamps who is managing a France side who are less than the sum of their parts

he's returned to the France side and didn't he score/assist iirc?

he's more caps than someone like Dembele who went to Barca for a fee that far exceeded 100 million

maybe I just rate Martial higher than you.... to put his ability in perspective he is playing in a United attack that quite frankly is poor And unimaginative and he still stands out - I think he's going to be an elite attacker in time

Hercules

I think De Gea and Pogba are definitely the ones.

De Gea for obvious reasons.

Pogba - it's like a story I wanted to live. A player who was here, felt at home, couldn't get chances (but wanted to play for us, we have pics of him from his Juve time where we can see United's pics in the background). Went away, club realizes his worth, wanted him back. I'm sure a lot of clubs wanted him and we were awful for the past 3 years, still he wanted to live his dream, to play at OT where he developed as a player. I really like him for that. Could have won a CL and La Liga with Real last year or could have gone to PSG, Bayern etc but he came to us and wants to be a part of another golden period for us. I hope it happens. Proper football story, you could make a movie out of it. That's the dream.

Every Used Car in the world is not worth 40m+, that is called inflation. Say you are after any seasoned CB in the league and try to make an offer less than 40m? Smalling is not my favourite CB but any offer less than 40m is a rip off.
The only way I can get Smalling at 40 million is by using Zimbabwe's inflation figures.

Toad

Bailly, Romero and Rojo with the obvious being De Gea, Jones and Smalling.

Romero has to be a good £15-£20mil despite his age.

Jones certainly should be one, but his injury record means it's doubtful. Who would pay over 30 million for a defender who isn't available for the majority of games; a defender who never plays half a dozen matches consecutively?

cyril C

I think this thread proves that we haven’t picked up any ‘bargains’ or players that we take a punt on in a long time. Instead the players we have bought have been expensive squad players or first teamers. Excluding youth players or Romero (free).

DDG & Smalling - but they have been here so long.

Jones is doubtful given his injury record.

Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Martial are worth about what we paid for them. Same for Bailly - given he’s another player who is injury prone.

Pogba is a definite.

Matic, Carrick, Fellaini, Valencia, Young have very limited sell on value. Certainly wouldn’t get money back on Mata, Shaw, Miki or Herrera.

I see your point. If you want to re-state the question as which player has improved substantially since joining hence their market value (not because of "inflation", then only DDG qualified. Martial hasn't really improved consistent enough although I won't sell him for 100m, because he will/may cost us more to re-purchase when he finally delivers. Academy player doesn't count. The other 2 names I can think of are Rojo and Bailey, they have demonstrated their capability but I doubt major clubs are willing to throw in serious money for them yet. This sadly demonstrates our extremely poor recruitment in past 6-8 years.

redIndianDevil

May be De Gea and Pogba(only if PSG are involved), our players' wages are so insane they we have pay other clubs to take them off our books.

wolvored

Would anyone pay more than 16 million for injury prone Jones? Or for that matter Rojo? Add in the wages and If you only have them play in fits and starts no one would pay top dollar for them. If they were playing for another club would you be happy if mou signed them up?

Fully Fledged

How much was Martial, fifty million? I don't think you'd get more than that for him. Pogba was 85 million, so it's difficult to appreciate in value from there.

De Gea definitely; his value has increased several fold. I'm struggling to think of others, but that's par for the course: United always pay top dollar for a player in his prime and rarely sell for a profit; Ronaldo being the best of example of a massive net profit.
The transfer market is 2 way it's not only what people are willing to pay but what we would be willing to sell for.

The only way we would sell Pogba for less than £150m is if he was in the last year of his contract and wasn't willing to renegotiate. I would go further and say that unless he wanted to leave that there is not a price we would be willing to accept for him.

The transfer market is 2 way it's not only what people are willing to pay but what we would be willing to sell for.

The only way we would sell Pogba for less than £150m is if he was in the last year of his contract and wasn't willing to renegotiate. I would go further and say that unless he wanted to leave that there is not a price we would be willing to accept for him.
Yes, I think you're right. Pogba is priceless to this team.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If we exclude inflation I'm not sure Martial and Pogba have really increased their value. Martial especially still has to be considered a talent 2.5 years down the road.
Inflation is a value driver :wenger:

Chairman Woodie

I know David De Gea and I reckon Ander Herrera have gone up in value. Chris Smalling and Phil Jones (if he can maintain fitness) too.