Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

Skills

Snitch
It's like he knows he can grab the place consistently this time with the new coach
Yeah it's actually one of the benefits of changing coach ever so often. Out of favour and now demotivated players, know they can play their way into the XI and not be subjected to the same favouritism/preferences the old coach had.

foolsgold

It's his to lose at the moment, I'm not seeing a compelling reason to bring AWB back into the team right now. Same on the other flank with Shaw.

I'd also drop Maguire when Varane is fit.

AttackAttackAttack

Dalot is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Life’s good when you have ronaldo to mentor you and a new attacking system to excel in.

Matt851

Seems a better option than awb right now but struggle to see him as a good enough long term option so an alternative should be sought. Not hugely keen on tripper though so hopefully Ralph has someone less obvious in mind

romufc

I would like to see Dalot given a run of games, let Laird progress at Swansea and have a look at him in pre season.

sugar_kane

I've been surprised by him. I thought he was useless
Ditto, although will be interesting how he fares against a really dangerous team.

Not that AWB in his current form isn't a complete liability, but in the past when Dalot has been put to the test defensively he's been pretty awful.

Been really pleasantly surprised by him in the last couple of games though, can easily challenge AWB for the starting spot in current form.

Dan_F

I feared for Dalot against Zaha, but there was no real issues at all, although I guess it’s not a massive surprise because Zaha can blow hot and cold.

Our whole defence was clearly far too exposed previously, so maybe if we are more dominant in possession and win the ball higher up the pitch, we are far less reliant on our defenders being on the back foot all the time.

RUCK4444

In games where they have to defend less Dalot and Telles become viable options.

I must admit Dalot has surprised me in these last couple of games, I had totally written him off.

That said, in games with less defending to do you can still argue Shaw and AWB are still the starting pair. The latter gets forward and has created a lot of chances in recent times, but there is a narrative with him that overrides his actual performances imo.

Either way it’s good that these players become options for us in this system because we are going to need to rely on the full depth of our squad to cope physically with the change in style.

ForeverRed1

I think it's more a case for upgrading both our fullbacks to the same level as our rivals (Cancelo, Walker, TAA, Robertson, Chilwell, James etc)

It feels like England has produced a bunch of good fullbacks since TAA. Just have to take a chance on one of them.
max aarons ?

mad1max954

That said, in games with less defending to do you can still argue Shaw and AWB are still the starting pair.
This is just plain wrong. An on form Shaw then yes (not the Shaw than we have seen all season through), but AWB is never, ever going to be good enough on the ball - absolutely no way is he better than Dalot going forward. Dalot's potential is miles higher but because he has had a couple of shockers settling in he is written off. Look at Evra when he first started! We know what AWB can do (and he isnt good enough!), its time to invest in Dalot and at least give him a chance over a number of games to prove one of us right.

stoinz

I remembered being this happy and hopeful about him when he first signed. Then for whatever reasons, he just got worst and worst then disappeared. See him again playing this well bought back the same hope for me. Always knew he can attack well but was really surprise with his defensive side and stamina. Hopefully this is not just one off and he can really challenge AWB for the long term.

arnie_ni

Yes and no.

I think it could be his to season end but if it is, there'll be a rb signed in the summer again.

Reyoji-Utd

Its about how we want to play. Hard to find fullbacks that good at both defense and attack. You have to sacrifice sometimes. We look like we want to play with more pressing and attack more up top. And that doesnt look good with how AWB playstyle. Dalot is look more threathening going up top and if he keeps improving then his defensive play doesnt need to be brilliant, just need to be good enough

RuudTom83

AWB needs a kick up the bum anyway, so I’d let his sit out a few games and give Dalot a run.

Especially with the list of fixtures coming up, a more comfortable attacking RB is going to be more use than a defensive one.

Abraxas

I honestly don't think Trippier would have done any better than Dalot in these games and he's also getting on for a full back in a high energy system which is a major drawback.

It's just about consistency now. Is it a false dawn or can he do this for 10 games in a row? Or at least most of them.

largelyworried

Still no, at least long-term. His strengths might suit RR's 4-2-2-2 better than AWB in the short term, so he may get a lot more game time this season than expected. But long term I still think he'll get replaced.

RUCK4444

This is just plain wrong. An on form Shaw then yes (not the Shaw than we have seen all season through), but AWB is never, ever going to be good enough on the ball - absolutely no way is he better than Dalot going forward. Dalot's potential is miles higher but because he has had a couple of shockers settling in he is written off. Look at Evra when he first started! We know what AWB can do (and he isnt good enough!), its time to invest in Dalot and at least give him a chance over a number of games to prove one of us right.
You talk like it’s a no brainer that Dalot should be nailed on starter, he’s had two games with limited defending.

He’s done well yes but you also talk like AWB creates nothing going forward when in reality he’s been steadily improving in that regard. It’s been mentioned in a few games this season even when the team as a whole have been performing badly.

Like I say let’s see how it pans out. I’m glad the likes of Dalot are at least contributing at the moment.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
I’m most intrigued to see the developments of Dalot for the rest of the szn under the tutelage of RR.

Yes we have AWB who’s probably the best 1v1, shutdown fullback in the world (who I rate for those strengths) but seeing how Rangnick wants us playing, I think he’ll naturally gravitate towards playing Dalot there as it’s a key position for the rest of the formation to thrive and his playing style is tailor made for his system. Point of the fullbacks under RR is to not only play high to pin the opposition’s players back. It’s also to be a legitimate threat and not just a decoy.

…..I have a gut feeling he’ll play Dalot allowing him to flourish which in unison will get the best out of the team+Dalot. Can see him very much being used in a Trent type role. Allowed to express and showcase his strengths so much that it’ll vastly override and mask the defensive side of his game. RR is an offensive/progressive coach. Dalot is offensive/progressive. AWB is defensive. & it helps that Dalot has every tool in an attacking fullback tool kit that you’d want. Plus he’s no pushover in his own half either!

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
If his defensive game is a bit shit his offensive game is so much better than AWB that he should get a run in the team. Been very good these two games.
Yeah, I feel like its easier to develop defensively that it is offensively, so Dalot > AWB. Both guys need some growth.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don’t know how good he’ll be in the long, long term but he’s got more potential than AWB, had a decent first season at United, and has had a decent season in Milan. With him playing now, at least you might be able to get at least what you paid back for him, possibly at a decent profit. If Rangnick gets more control, I’d expect you’d get much better at turning players over. Chelsea and Liverpool make tens of millions each season from that.

The Red Thinker

Genuinely thought Dalot was useless. But seeing the last two games, I can't believe how good he's been. Always knew he was effective with forward passes, but DAMN! He gets stuck in with the press too!

A great coach and an average one... a WORLD of difference between the two.

Dalot still has a lot of work to do on his defensive positioning. He's played against a toothless Arsenal and Crystal Palace, we need to see him facing a better side. In games where we can't always control the ball AWB is still the better choice.

The_Order

Development trajectories aren’t linear, so he has time to turn it around IMO but you’d have to think it’s unlikely, having watched him for us before. Here’s hoping though! Would be great to have some competition for that spot.
This post aged well.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he can sustain the level of performances ive seen in the last 2 games then definitely yes. He looks like he can be an upgrade from AWB.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Even yesterday, the goal happened because he took on a defender, drove forward with the ball and played it into Greenwood's feet. I think this system will do a lot for fullback like him to play high up, almost as a winger.

romufc

I agree, I have seen nothing from AWB that suggests he will improve on the ball, sometimes with players you can see glimpses and think oh you know what maybe.

With AWB, no chance, he just does not have the vision to see a pass, let alone execute it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I hope he cements a place in the first eleven. Watching AWB on ball is getting torturous for me. So poor on the ball in attack.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd keep him in the team for now based on the last two games but I actually think Bissaka will look a lot better in the system we played yesterday as well.

But I think Dalot/Telles have probably been the consistent performers in the last 2 games so either would be unlucky to be dropped

honirelandboy

Look at Telles goals and assists compares to Shaw's over his career.

Telles and Dalot over Shaw/AWB every day of the week.

IRELANDUNITED

I’d like to see Dalot given a proper run. Mourinho described him at the best young full back in Europe a couple of seasons ago. AWB has been very poor lately, that may be down to the coaching he’s received but I feel he’s got very comfortable and felt undroppable under Ole. His positioning at times has been disgraceful but people think he’s brilliant defensively because he makes the occasional heroic last ditch tackle. Give Dalot the next 4/5 games, let’s see what he’s got.

Will Singh

Did a fantastic job against Palace, I think both Telles and Dalot will do well as they are playing cos they are in form not just there cos the other guys injured….!

Paul778

It's a win win.

Both Shaw and AWB have been overplayed. Telles and Dalot are both fresh and have both grasped their chance with both hands.

With the fixtures ahead being against mostly teams in the lower half of the table it's a chance to give Shaw/AWB a good few weeks rest. It's a chance to work with them on the training ground and see what they offer in Ralfs world.

Right now i don't think any of us know the quality of the players we've got. Someone said the other day a good player in a great system looks world class.

I think Ralf is clever enough to make use of whoever he has and will very quickly get an appreciation for what each player he has is capable of bringing to the table. He prides himself on being able to outthink the other manager. You could see that in the post match where he was happy to go into detail on his strategy. It was like "I'm going to tell you what i did this game cos i back myself to be two steps ahead of you if you try to counter my strategy"

Very interesting times. One thing for sure - it's going to be fun.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's more technically competent than AWB, which is an asset in any role but particularly in one where quite a bit is expected of you in possession. So I could see him playing regularly among our current options.

Realistically though we need better than either are likely to provide. RB would seem to be a position we're likely to strengthen in the near future, so in the long run I don't see Dalot staking a serious claim.

SplitzMagic

The reason why people doubted Dalot is because they accepted our old mediocre tactics.

Put trent under Ole and I'm fairly sure we'll be saying the exact same thing. That he can't defend and he's only good going forwards but we can't attack etc... etc...

When he first arrived and got game time his crossing was immediately felt amongst supporters but because of the horrible defensive tactics we played he couldn't ever quite get going.

AWB is a bottom table player. If you're being slapped all game by better teams then he'll look better. 1v1 in the world is not the tag you want as a RB if you can't contribute elsewhere.

Funny thing is, it's the opposite for keepers with Ramsdale. Who has been relegated for the past 3 seasons but with arsenal looks amazing. Why? Because he was peppered every single game so now with A better defence he is so much better.

Dalot at Liverpool would probably also give off Trent vibes but we're just not patient enough because we accepted the horrible football that was on display.

r1z3mu

To be honest he surprised me. I've given up on him but he's proved me wrong (at least couple of games). It's not a secret that AWB is useless going forward so why not give Dalot a chance in next few games.

Eli Zee

As long as it's just him and AWB, he will always get a chance to start. As we know, Dalot offers much more going forward and is at least decent on defense. AWB hasn't been really impressive except for 1 thing - his slide tackles.

literally AWB is terrible with the ball and has pretty bad positioning on defense, but my god can he recover and make a good tackle from behind

SungSam7

I'd keep him in the team for now based on the last two games but I actually think Bissaka will look a lot better in the system we played yesterday as well.

But I think Dalot/Telles have probably been the consistent performers in the last 2 games so either would be unlucky to be dropped
AWB slows attacks down with is terrible ability to move on the ball or run with the ball gsst enough.

Not saying Dalot is the fastest player in the world but hes a lot more terrifying to deal with than AWB running at you. Teams know that and can exploit that.