Canadian Politics

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Care to explain. Do you think same situation in US would have lead to resignations or any other ramifications?
I suppose they'd have to have a sense of shame to begin with.

I just realized that Renata Ford, wife of the late Rob Ford is in the same FB group as me (the Toronto Catholic School board parents group.) She is certifiable (her FB page is Qanon level.)
Like her late husband she has lots of problems, too. Rumour has it that Doug really fecked her over after Rob passed. That said, she also ran for the People's Party of Canada which should cancel some of that goodwill.

jem

I suppose they'd have to have a sense of shame to begin with.

Like her late husband she has lots of problems, too. Rumour has it that Doug really fecked her over after Rob passed. That said, she also ran for the People's Party of Canada which should cancel some of that goodwill.
A quick glance at her FB page will erase any lingering goodwill. I also got some info from a friend in the know that Rob was apparently the brighter of the two brothers, Doug being a total non-entity. I was a bit surprised by that (I always imagined Doug as the Cheney to Rob's Bush Jr.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A quick glance at her FB page will erase any lingering goodwill. I also got some info from a friend in the know that Rob was apparently the brighter of the two brothers, Doug being a total non-entity. I was a bit surprised by that (I always imagined Doug as the Cheney to Rob's Bush Jr.)
Doug seems like a total Bush to me. I don't know much about him from Toronto, but as a party leader and premier, he seems to me like the fun guy everyone gets on with (well, some people, anyway), but who has zero ideas of his own. Very Bush, that.

Btw, are all the travelling politicians conservatives so far, apart from Niki Ashton?

jem

Doug seems like a total Bush to me. I don't know much about him from Toronto, but as a party leader and premier, he seems to me like the fun guy everyone gets on with (well, some people, anyway), but who has zero ideas of his own. Very Bush, that.

Btw, are all the travelling politicians conservatives so far, apart from Niki Ashton?
He has been quite successful at cultivating that image; apparently he was a bit of a bully back in the day (all second-hand knowledge, admittedly.)

Dr. Dwayne

Doug is dumb as a post, as his business performance suggests. I doubt that Rob was much better but he was a fun guy that could relate to people.

jem

Doug is dumb as a post, as his business performance suggests. I doubt that Rob was much better but he was a fun guy that could relate to people.
Yeah, Rob definitely struck me as the more affable of the two; a somewhat tragic figure in his way.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Dr. Dwayne

Care to explain. Do you think same situation in US would have lead to resignations or any other ramifications?
But just to be clear, our Prime Minister has been outed as having a real penchant for wearing blackface. He's still our prime minister, though.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They really should have ditched Trudeau for Freeland by now. Media keep saying that Trudeau gets votes just because he's him, but I don't know anyone who likes him anymore. Freeland, on the other hand, stands for the same sort of things, is actually capable, and untarnished. I don't expect Trudeau to agree with that, but you'd think that he must be on borrowed time in the eyes of the LPC top by now.

Dr. Dwayne

They really should have ditched Trudeau for Freeland by now. Media keep saying that Trudeau gets votes just because he's him, but I don't know anyone who likes him anymore. Freeland, on the other hand, stands for the same sort of things, is actually capable, and untarnished. I don't expect Trudeau to agree with that, but you'd think that he must be on borrowed time in the eyes of the LPC top by now.
Rumour is she's been tarnished by Justin's finger(s).

Dr. Dwayne

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I thought I might note here that we're in election period again, with election day on September 20. Trudeau justified dissolving parliament by saying that we're at a pivotal point in the pandemic, where voters should have a chance to indicate how they want to country to recover. But obviously, that's nonsense; the real motivation is that he is tired of leading a minority government, is seeing positive polls, and figures this is a good moment to go and win that majority.

So far, though, that appears to be backfiring, as a lacklustre first campaign week of the Liberals and a good one for the Conservatives has caused the latter to start closing in in the polls. There is still some time for that to change, of course, but it would be rather ironic if Trudeau would lose his job over this gamble and despite the popularity boost he enjoyed during most of the pandemic. The exercise anyway seems like a huge waste of time (and a lot of money!) for everyone, since the NDP has been quite happy to support the Liberals, as long as they can get little concessions here and there. So essentially, Trudeau is already quite able to execute his agenda as a minority government.

Anyway, in an interesting turn of events, the Conservatives have made some promises to try and get workers and unions on their side. So far, that is mostly being met with extreme scepticism, but it does mean that the NDP is now not just vying for votes with the Liberals and Greens, but also with the Conservatives (instead of just contrasting themselves with them). Although there are quite a few ridings that tend to switch between NDP and the Conservatives anyway, including the Prairies and a couple of Ontario cities. (Alberta, for example, has virtually no Liberal presence in provincial politics. If they don't re-elect their current conservative government, it will be replaced by an NDP one again, no chance it'd be the Liberals.) For those interested in further detail, there's an analysis of this here (in French).

Foxbatt

As long as it's not to O'Toole - sure!
O Toole is a tool. He couldn't even get his own party to accept that Climate change is real.
It will probably be another minority government. He has messed it up too much..

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They'd have to put lot of work into southern Ontario to overcome the legacy of Bob Rae.

Quebec is a bit problematic for them, too.
Oh I know, it's unrealistic. But the Cons would be a disaster for the long-term future. So realistically, I think the best I can hope for is another minority Liberal government - preferably weakened a little so Trudeau learns his lesson (yeah, right...) and is beholden even more to the NDP. (The Conservatives are too different for them and too power-oriented themselves for collaboration, and the Bloc's focus on Quebec often makes them difficult partners federally.)
O Toole is a tool. He couldn't even get his own party to accept that Climate change is real.
It will probably be another minority government. He has messed it up too much..
I agree. Whatever O'Toole may say on the campaign trail, he's still leading a party that on the whole cares more about the economic benefits of oil than the environment, thinks inequities will solve themselves, and has a strong social-conservative wing.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The Conservatives continue to poll well. It’ll be interesting to see how this election goes.

@Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær @Cheimoon how much of the vote does O’Toole need to win? He can’t form a coalition with anyone I’m assuming?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They don't do coalitions here. If no-one gets a majority, the biggest party gets to form a minority government and will have to try and work with other parties on anything they want to do to make it get through parliament.

How much any party needs to win is really hard to say. If I'm not mistaken, the Cons actually had the largest percentage of voters behind them last time, but since those were so heavily concentrated in the Prairies, the Libs got the most seats nonetheless. So polls have to do riding-by-riding assessments - which the good ones do, but I don't know which one you're checking. (The CBC one seems fairly reliable to me, but I can't be bothered to check this early in the campaign. Sorry also if this was all obvious to you already; you must be used to the first-past-the-post system from the UK.)

All the same, in general, I understand that the NDP and Libs are putting up more of a fight in the Prairies' urban centres this time, which could indicate that the Cons are gaining ground elsewhere. On the other hand, there were some tighter races in those cities last time as well, and the Cons need to make some real inroads in suburban Ontario, Quebec, and Atlantic Canada to get the seats they need to become the biggest party - and polling analyses the past months always seemed to indicate that that wasn't happening.

So, in short: I dunno! :wenger:

Dr. Dwayne

The Cons need to pick up a few seats in the GTA and Quebec to have a chance of forming a government. Oddly enough, a good showing in the Maritimes can help them, too.

It's all about a few seats that tend to flip between Liberal and Conservative in those areas mentioned above.

Giggsy13

Cons polled well in the last election and won the popular vote but still couldn’t break the liberal wall in the GTA. O’Toole is campaigning well though and he’s got more of a broad appeal than Scheer ever did. Should be an interesting few weeks.

Foxbatt

The cons upset the Maritimes by getting rid of McKay. O'Toole even refused to let him run as a candidate in his riding in Nova Scotia.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58472456

Totally unacceptable. The anti-vax mob is becoming more vile and disgusting.
He's being badgered by these fools wherever he goes. It's scandalous. Everyone's condemning it, but theres no reigning these people in. Doesn't help that Bernier is basically supporting them as a kind of anti-vaxxer himself.

It's not even anything to do with Trudeau; had anyone else been in power the past two years, they would have taken similar measures and would be the target instead.

Foxbatt

He's being badgered by these fools wherever he goes. It's scandalous. Everyone's condemning it, but theres no reigning these people in. Doesn't help that Bernier is basically supporting them as a kind of anti-vaxxer himself.

It's not even anything to do with Trudeau; had anyone else been in power the past two years, they would have taken similar measures and would be the target instead.
Agree with you. Many provincial conservative governments have made it mandatory for the employees to be vaccinated. This has got nothing to do with Trudeau.
I suppose they are lucky that they only threw gravel at him. I saw him campaigning last month and they had a few snipers around.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Agree with you. Many provincial conservative governments have made it mandatory for the employees to be vaccinated. This has got nothing to do with Trudeau.
I suppose they are lucky that they only threw gravel at him. I saw him campaigning last month and they had a few snipers around.
He's already had to cancel one really because security felt menaced by the protesters.

You're right, the federal government doesn't even have such a big say in the pandemic measures. All public health decisions are made on the P/T level (yay, government speak!), apart from vaccine approvals, the vaccine requirement for public service employees and federally regulated workplaces, and some benefits programs. But I bet these people are far angrier over the lockdowns, vaccine passports, and similar P/T measures.