Canadian Soccer

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How has Eustáquio played for Canada? At some point he looked a interesting player for Portugal at under 21 level, but later when he moved to Cruz Azul in Mexico he had a serious injury. Then he came back to Portugal to play at Paços Ferreira where he has been playing at reasonable level.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How has Eustáquio played for Canada? At some point he looked a interesting player for Portugal at under 21 level, but later when he moved to Cruz Azul in Mexico he had a serious injury. Then he came back to Portugal to play at Paços Ferreira where he has been playing at reasonable level.
Absolute class, been one of our best players and vitally important with Atiba not always available.

How is he actually viewed in Portugal? Canadian circles have been having him joining one of the big 3 Portuguese clubs for what seems like ages now but he hasn’t. People don’t half over blow any decent player here though. So is it just bias or is it likely to happen next season?

Canuckred64

don't live in Canada anymore, but did so for many years. My son is still there, I was supposed to travel over to see him mid Feb, I;d love to change that and get to bring him to this game. Only issue is that stadium is only around 23k capacity, I'd imagine tickets will be tough to get. Anyone know when they go on sale
Checked today, not on sale yet but can post here as soon as they do.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Absolute class, been one of our best players and vitally important with Atiba not always available.

How is he actually viewed in Portugal? Canadian circles have been having him joining one of the big 3 Portuguese clubs for what seems like ages now but he hasn’t. People don’t half over blow any decent player here though. So is it just bias or is it likely to happen next season?
Quite honestly, before he was signed by Cruz Azul and the problem he had with the injury there he was seen as someone with potential to join any of the big 3, ultimately he was more appreciated by the hipsters who like possession football, because at that time he was playing at Chaves managed by Luis Castro (Shakhtar previous manager before De Zerbi).

He also was one of the few players who came to the under 21's without having played for any of the big 3 + Braga at Youth Level, so all this to say without being seen as a star he certainly looked very promising at the time, he played on the under 21's alongside Jota and Gonçalo Guedes.

Even after Cruz Azul and the injury his last season for Paços was very good, this season they are struggling, which is normal because in Portugal only 4 clubs are more or less consistent domestically. If you want my opinion I think he certainly has potential to play on a club like Braga and play at a good level on a Europa League level club.

Tragically Hip

I'm from Saskatchewan and it could be -25 or worse on January 30th. What's Hamilton like that time of year?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm from Saskatchewan and it could be -25 or worse on January 30th. What's Hamilton like that time of year?
You should be able to handle it as southern Ontario is almost sub-tropical compared to Saskatchewan in January but the humidity can make it feel chilly if it's just below zero.

poleglass red

so I landed in Canada on sat, back to live here for the forseeable. Hopefully can get tickets for this game, was at a bar on Sat night, fella I knew picked up tickets for the grey cup, he paid $500 each for them, I was like holy fcuk. I can imagine tickets getting expensive quickly for this game v the US, for those of us not getting them when they go onsale. It isn't a big stadium, I still call it Ivor Wynne, but they tell me is Tim Hortons now

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
so I landed in Canada on sat, back to live here for the forseeable. Hopefully can get tickets for this game, was at a bar on Sat night, fella I knew picked up tickets for the grey cup, he paid $500 each for them, I was like holy fcuk. I can imagine tickets getting expensive quickly for this game v the US, for those of us not getting them when they go onsale. It isn't a big stadium, I still call it Ivor Wynne, but they tell me is Tim Hortons now
Yeah, if you want a good deal on the U.S. match's tickets, you have to make sure that you get them first-hand. Also, that's right, the stadium's now called Tim Hortons Field.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Before this, he also trained with Club Brugge (where Tajon Buchanan will be in 2022). Looks like he's shopping himself to a bunch of big teams. I wonder if he'll ever get involved with Manchester United at some point.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
What will the squad look like? With it being in the middle of European season, I fear we'll be missing our key players?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What will the squad look like? With it being in the middle of European season, I fear we'll be missing our key players?
Some of them will join us (e.g. Arfield), and I hope that we get some of the MLS players in, too, as long as they remain fit enough. I doubt that players like Davies and David would be let go of, but here's hoping that the rest can join us.

poleglass red

does the recent announcement in Ontario restricting attendance to 50% at sporting events only effect sports played indoors. Will this game still go ahead with full attendance. With this stadium so small already, any further restrictions would make getting a ticket almost impossible.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
does the recent announcement in Ontario restricting attendance to 50% at sporting events only effect sports played indoors. Will this game still go ahead with full attendance. With this stadium so small already, any further restrictions would make getting a ticket almost impossible.
For now, yes, the attendance restrictions only apply to indoor sporting events. We'll see what happens to the outdoor ones next month, but for now, they're all good to go. On that note, check your PMs.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
A bunch of these tickets are already getting scalped, including those in the Voyageurs' sections. Here's what a pair of them were listed for on StubHub (note: they're now gone):

There are already a good number of seats that are being sold for $1k+.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Some of them will join us (e.g. Arfield), and I hope that we get some of the MLS players in, too, as long as they remain fit enough. I doubt that players like Davies and David would be let go of, but here's hoping that the rest can join us.
With a MLS restart date of Feb 27th, they should be fit. You think there has to be at least a couple weeks of preseason.

Canuckred64

A bunch of these tickets are already getting scalped, including those in the Voyageurs' sections. Here's what a pair of them were listed for on StubHub (note: they're now gone):

There are already a good number of seats that are being sold for $1k+.
Crazy. My tickets are better than those and they cost me $75 a piece.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
With a MLS restart date of Feb 27th, they should be fit. You think there has to be at least a couple weeks of preseason.
They may not necessarily be match fit with just some pre-season. To make up for it, though, Canada along with a bunch of other CONCACAF teams are scheduling friendlies in order to maintain the match fitness.

poleglass red

after the latest statement today, where does that leave us in regards being able to attend or possibly not, the Canada v US game

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
after the latest statement today, where does that leave us in regards being able to attend or possibly not, the Canada v US game
Technically, it's still a possibility as the restrictions are planned to end before that match. Let's see if that's indeed the case, though.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Technically, it's still a possibility as the restrictions are planned to end before that match. Let's see if that's indeed the case, though.
Otherwise they might have the reduce capacity; I think it says outdoors events are allowed if participants can keep 2m distance. (I'm assuming that would only apply to the audience and they wouldn't cancel the game...)

Bertie Wooster

Theo Corbeanu has joined MK Dons on loan for the rest of the season.

I know one or two people who support them and was just wondering how he was rated on this thread?

He apparently did well at Sheff Wed on loan but was played more as a wing back from what I understand? But he seems mainly to be more of a winger / striker so was just wondering what you thought his best position / attributes are?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Theo Corbeanu has joined MK Dons on loan for the rest of the season.

I know one or two people who support them and was just wondering how he was rated on this thread?

He apparently did well at Sheff Wed on loan but was played more as a wing back from what I understand? But he seems mainly to be more of a winger / striker so was just wondering what you thought his best position / attributes are?
I really like him, but I still consider him to be quite raw. He's a good dribbler and has the athleticism to play in multiple roles, but his decision-making needs to be refined for a particular role. For now, I think he's a winger, but he'll need to improve his end product in order to become a bigger attacking threat.

Bertie Wooster

I really like him, but I still consider him to be quite raw. He's a good dribbler and has the athleticism to play in multiple roles, but his decision-making needs to be refined for a particular role. For now, I think he's a winger, but he'll need to improve his end product in order to become a bigger attacking threat.
Thanks for that. I'll pass it on. :)

Hopefully he'll have a good loan there and start honing his decision-making / end product.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
NOT helping!
Alphonso Davies' return from a bout of COVID-19 has been put on hold with Bayern Munich saying the Canadian star shows signs of an inflammation of the heart muscle. The 21-year-old from Edmonton has been sidelined, with his participation in doubt for Canada's World Cup qualifiers later this month.

(...)

"The ultrasound shows this myocarditis isn't so dramatic but it's a sign of myocarditis. Still, it has to heal and that will definitely take some time," [Nagelsman] added.
Full article: https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canad...s-heart-muscle-issue-after-covid-19-1.5739979

It better be real damn cold at the game to compensate for this.

Canuckred64

I don't think they know yet. As of now its only 50% capacity, but that restriction will hopefully end on the the 26th. If the Government doesn't lift the restrictions then it's anybody's guess what will happen. Hopefully it will be full capacity, as I have tickets and won't be alll that happy if I just get my money back, when a month ago I could have sold them for 5 or 6 times what I paid.

Canuckred64

Soccer Canada announcement.

Due to the reduced capacity of 12,000 spectators, all tickets purchased as part of the original on sale date of 17 December 2021 will be cancelled with full refunds provided to all ticket holders on their credit cards within two to four weeks. Canada Soccer will be in direct contact with all ticket purchasers to provide details on how to access tickets for the 50% reduced capacity configuration.

All ticket purchasers will be provided the opportunity to purchase tickets for the 30 January home match through a dedicated pre-sale window beginning at 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday 25 January. A public on-sale will follow on 26 January at 10:00 ET should inventory remain available.

NoPace

He's probably our 2nd most important player and #2 on the team sheet after Davies.

Sits deep, fights hard and distributes well. His usual partner (Kaye) is charged with breaking up play and neither get forward a ton. So, not sure what his best role is in a 4-3-3 exactly, but in a double pivot (3 at the back or 4) he really looks liked a solid 8/10 in every respect. Combative and a good overall passer without blowing you away.

If Porto are still using a 4-4-2 he seems really well suited. For the Prem, I was hoping he'd go to Wolves to replace Moutinho, West Ham to back up Rice and Soucek and eventually replace Rice when he leaves or to sit deepest for Brighton, to give you an idea. Also would have been a nice fit replacing Romeu for Southampton next to Ward-Prowse I think.

NoPace

Saw a Cristante highlight and immediately tortured myself by thinking of what our XI would look like with him and Tomori:

--------------------Larin-----David-----------------
Davies-Cristante-Eustaqio-Buchanan
Adekugbe--Tomori-Vitoria-----Laryea
------------------------Borjan-----------------------

Would be really solid defensively (under Herdman) and still so dangerous.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Bad news to go with it is he has covid and will miss the international break. No Phonzie or Eustaquio could be a big problem.
It was never going to be smooth for us, sadly, but at least we'll have some good players coming in like Jonathan David. With that said, we will definitely miss Eustáquio; he's probably our most important player in the team.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The squad's finally announced.

My thoughts:
  • Eustáquio being included must be for our 3rd match against El Salvador.
  • Cristián Gutiérrez is a welcome surprise; I wasn't expecting him to come in, but we'll need another left wing back with Davies not in the squad.
  • We have a decent number of MLS players in the squad, but they've all already started training with their teams.
  • Liam Fraser's still getting included in the squad. Herdman must really like him.
Notable exclusion: Theo Corbeanu. I was expecting him to be called up given his great form for both Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons.

Last edited: