Canadian Soccer

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just saw the updates during the US pregame. What is going on?
The usual...Canada got CONCACAF'd.

Honduras were awarded a very soft penalty, but Canada fought back for a point. In the first half, the team was far too stretched without much support for the players on the ball. The 2md half was better when Hoilett came in to knit the team together. Unfortunately for us, we lacked composure in the final 3rd, so we couldn't finish off our chances.

The players will be under pressure in the El Salvador match now. They can't afford to get less than 3 points against them.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What a HUGE win that was for Canada. From the very first minute, they were up for it. I have a feeling that the El Salvador contingent's loud rendition of their national anthem got every Canadian fired up tonight.

I still there's room for improvement in Canada's football, but we had lots of control in this match and weren't really threatened despite some sloppy passing at times. Overall, we should have had more, but I'm glad that we kept a clean sheet and scored 3 goals, too.

Vanrouge

@Vanrouge Here's where we discuss all of the Canadian soccer content. This thread isn't too active, but it's still around.
Appreciate it! Looks like I could have found it easily with that title! I can be lazy sometimes. :lol: Yes, this was what I was thinking, that it would be a little inactive, but our men's team's sudden improvement might bring more to the thread.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So how about that US Mens team! They were great in the second half last night, but oh boy that first half.... :D

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How about them Halifax Wanderers!

COYW!
Pfft, go Atlético Ottawa!

If there ever was a pointless name to a team... I mean, I get it, it's the Atlético Madrid brand. But lacking a substantial Spanish-speaking community in Ottawa, the name looks pretty disconnected from the town.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Disappointed to read that the Canadians too call it soccer. I expected better of you, probably shouldn't have.

Even on this forum North American posters can't call the sport by its proper name, no need to wonder why you'll never be successful in it, really - you're not actually participating.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Disappointed to read that the Canadians too call it soccer. I expected better of you, probably shouldn't have.

Even even on this forum Norht American posters can't call the sport by its proper name, no need to wonder why you'll neve be successful in it, really - you're not actually participating.
Canadian gridiron football has a long and relatively rich history here compared to football, so it's no surprise that most Canadians call it soccer.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Even on this forum North American posters can't call the sport by its proper name, no need to wonder why you'll never be successful in it, really - you're not actually participating.
Don't blame us or our neighbors to the North, blame the Brits, they are the ones who first called it that and exported it to us all.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Don't blame us or our neighbors to the North, blame the Brits, they are the ones who first called it that and exported it to us all.
Exactly. Plus 'soccer' distinguishes the sport much more clearly from the myriad of other football games out there. So there, @Hansi Fick.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Exactly. Plus 'soccer' distinguishes the sport much more clearly from the myriad of other football games out there. So there, @Hansi Fick.
I know that story. But 150 years later, you're still stuck there while they've moved on a century ago.
Anyway, sincere apologies for bringing it up. I shouldn't have. Now I did the equivalent of waltzing into the German football thread to mouth off about Bayern dominance.
I don't feel well having done it though.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I know that story. But 150 years later, you're still stuck there while they've moved on a century ago.
Anyway, sincere apologies for bringing it up. I shouldn't have. Now I did the equivalent of waltzing into the German football thread to mouth off about Bayern dominance.
So 'they' have moved on by using the other term that stems from the same period - or is in fact the older, general word for this kind of sport.

Interesting.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As punishment I need a 100 word post either:

1. extolling the emerging greatness that is Matthew Hoppe

or

2. detailing why Tyler Adams is the best DM in Germany

HaliRed

Pfft, go Atlético Ottawa!

If there ever was a pointless name to a team... I mean, I get it, it's the Atlético Madrid brand. But lacking a substantial Spanish-speaking community in Ottawa, the name looks pretty disconnected from the town.
I did think the name strange as well. Maybe the owner is a Simeone fan.

HaliRed

For me, it depends on the setting. On here, and at my office (I work for a Sports Company), it's Football.

Dsy to day life, I have to say "soccer" or people get confused. Funnily enough, more children play "soccer" than any other sport in Canada, but the media still call it soccer so the term will remain with the populace until that changes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I did think the name strange as well. Maybe the owner is a Simeone fan.
Probably, since the owner is Atlético Madrid... ;)

OK, cleverness aside: the club is Atlético Madrid's first expansion team. They bought it in Jan 2020 after the Ottawa Fury dissolved because they couldn't play in the USL anymore. Hence the name, and hence the crest and shirt.

The away shirt is not too bad though. Finally something that's focused a bit on the city. :)

Although seeing parliament on everything does get old. It's not the only thing around here... On another note, I lived in Halifax for 2.5 years, and all the maritime imagery around Nova Scotia never tired me. :)

HaliRed

Probably, since the owner is Atlético Madrid... ;)

OK, cleverness aside: the club is Atlético Madrid's first expansion team. They bought it in Jan 2020 after the Ottawa Fury dissolved because they couldn't play in the USL anymore. Hence the name, and hence the crest and shirt.

The away shirt is not too bad though. Finally something that's focused a bit on the city. :)

Although seeing parliament on everything does get old. It's not the only thing around here... On another note, I lived in Halifax for 2.5 years, and all the maritime imagery around Nova Scotia never tired me. :)
All I know is that we secured a nice 1-2 win in Ottawa yesterday!

COYW

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
As punishment I need a 100 word post either:

1. extolling the emerging greatness that is Matthew Hoppe

or

2. detailing why Tyler Adams is the best DM in Germany
I'm not going to do either of that.
But, as a peace offering, I present you with a photo of the CD maxi single of Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hotrod" feat. Gibby Haynes, which I bought in a record store in West Bend, Wisconsin, in the year 1997.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
All I know is that we secured a nice 1-2 win in Ottawa yesterday!

COYW
Good for you. :D

I must admit I don't follow it at all - although I did go see a match two years ago or so. Might have been against Halifax actually! A cup match that the Fury won, if I'm not completely mixing things up now.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm not going to do either of that.
But, as a peace offering, I present you with a photo of the CD maxi single of Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hotrod" feat. Gibby Haynes, which I bought in a record store in West Bend, Wisconsin, in the year 1997.
Accepted. Also, what the hell were you doing in West Bend, WI?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Accepted. Also, what the hell were you doing in West Bend, WI?
Supporting local small businesses, apparently. A quick search of my CD collection finds at least three others I bought at that store..

Actually, holidays visiting an older friend who was doing a one year au-pair, a good 2 weeks in Wisconsin and then a few days in Chicago. I was just a teenager..

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Supporting local small businesses, apparently. A quick search of my CD collection finds at least three others I bought at that store..

Actually, holidays visiting an older friend who was doing a one year au-pair, a good 2 weeks in Wisconsin and then a few days in Chicago. I was just a teenager..
You keep track of where you bought your CDs?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You keep track of where you bought your CDs?
Not at all, I bought CDs pretty much everywhere I went, I was just always too lazy to pull off stickers and price tags from them. I just remembered that one of those Wisconsin stickers caught my eye the other week reshuflling stuff in my place, when talk came about Wisconsin here.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not at all, I bought CDs pretty much everywhere I went, I was just always too lazy to pull off stickers and price tags from them. I just remembered that one of those Wisconsin stickers caught my eye the other week reshuflling stuff in my place, when talk came about Wisconsin here.
Ah! :lol:

I do the same (and still do), except I do try to clean up the cover entirely. Lighter fuel works great go get rid of glue spots of bad stickers! ;) I do remember when I found some CDs specifically though.

Internet ordering really takes the fun out of that, but I don't have nice shops around here where I can browse through the discount rack like I had in the Netherlands.

See I brought it back to Canada! Now for a link with football soccer...

Vanrouge

Yes, those pesky North Americans calling it by a name coined and still used by... oh, wait, the Brits. You forgot to denigrate the Aussies too.

HaliRed

Good for you. :D

I must admit I don't follow it at all - although I did go see a match two years ago or so. Might have been against Halifax actually! A cup match that the Fury won, if I'm not completely mixing things up now.
We only have the Wanderers and QMJHL hockey here, so I have season tickets for the Wanderers!

Football is at a decent level, but the fans here in Hali are brilliant!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
We only have the Wanderers and QMJHL hockey here, so I have season tickets for the Wanderers!

Football is at a decent level, but the fans here in Hali are brilliant!
Just one soccer team here in Ottawa as well. Plus a CFL team and an OHL team - and then the Sens of course. When's the CFL finally coming to Halifax!

It was fun in 2013 when the Mooseheads won the Memorial Cup btw!

Last edited:

HaliRed

Just one soccer team here in Ottawa as well. Plus a CFC team and an OHL team - and then the Sens of course. When's the CFC finally coming to Halifax!

It was fun in 2013 when the Mooseheads won the Memorial Cup btw!
I like the Mooseheads, but the level of hockey is better in University hockey to be honest. 2013 was fun though, especially with MacKinnon being a local lad.

CFL would be nice, but they can't seem to get provincial and municipal funding for a stadium. There was a site being discussed right by my house, where I'd be able to watch the games from my deck. But it's in never ending discussions.

We did get a Lacrosse team last year, so I might give them a try this season!

Foxbatt

One thing I have noticed is that all youngsters, they never or rarely watch football ( soccer) on TV. The coaching is dire. No matter how much coaching courses one does unless you watch top class football you want have much of a clue. They try to fit into the system soccer Canada has irrespective of the fact they may not have the players to do so.
Maybe it's different out west where the winters may not be that bad. But in the east coast this is a major issue.