Canadian Soccer

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Official squad:

No Hoilett is a concern. We sometimes need his creativity in the final third to break down tough teams. Without him, we'll be heavily reliant on Eustaquio. Besides him, there's no Arfield as usual, and Cavallini's been called up yet again whilst struggling for Vancouver. For the most part, though, this team is decent even if we're lacking in creativity.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Official squad:

No Hoilett is a concern. We sometimes need his creativity in the final third to break down tough teams. Without him, we'll be heavily reliant on Eustaquio. Besides him, there's no Arfield as usual, and Cavallini's been called up yet again whilst struggling for Vancouver. For the most part, though, this team is decent even if we're lacking in creativity.
Snatching Eustáquio was a brilliant decision, IMHO. He will be in a top team next season, for sure. Didn't happened this season because Paços de Ferreira asked a large sum for him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Snatching Eustáquio was a brilliant decision, IMHO. He will be in a top team next season, for sure. Didn't happened this season because Paços de Ferreira asked a large sum for him.
Yeah, he deserves to be in a team that plays in Europe, at least. He's been a classy playmaker for us.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah, he deserves to be in a team that plays in Europe, at least. He's been a classy playmaker for us.
He was supposed to sign for Porto, but Fiorentina cancelled Sérgio Oliveira transfer and the deal was off.
He Will be in a top team Next season for sure.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The Canadian Premier League officially has a new team coming in at 2023!

Weirdly enough, it's in Vancouver. That means that BC has three professional teams (two in Vancouver!) along with a new upcoming semi-pro league (League1 Ontario). However, Saskatchewan and Québec have yet to get a CanPL team. Hopefully they get teams in soon.

I do wonder how this new Vancouver team will function alongside the Whitecaps. Maybe the MLS side won't be overly competitive against them (unlike Toronto FC, whose ownership said that they'd compete against a potential Toronto CanPL team business-wise).

EDIT: Part of the ownership also owns Pacific FC, so there's some potential for a conflict of interest here...

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The Canadian Premier League officially has a new team coming in at 2023!

Weirdly enough, it's in Vancouver. That means that BC has three professional teams (two in Vancouver!) along with a new upcoming semi-pro league (League1 Ontario). However, Saskatchewan and Québec have yet to get a CanPL team. Hopefully they get teams in soon.

I do wonder how this new Vancouver team will function alongside the Whitecaps. Maybe the MLS side won't be overly competitive against them (unlike Toronto FC, whose ownership said that they'd compete against a potential Toronto CanPL team business-wise).

EDIT: Part of the ownership also owns Pacific FC, so there's some potential for a conflict of interest here...
This is the team they originally wanted, Pacific only came about because they couldn’t get a mainland team sorted for the start of the league. It has been rumoured as more a Fraser valley team since the start though so it won’t necessarily be Vancouver proper and they say they haven’t chose a location. So could be more Forge/Hamilton than York compared to to Toronto. Will be interesting how the ownership will work and if they just stay owning both teams.

Saskatchewan has already announced a deal. They just don’t have a stadium so who knows how long that will take.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This is the team they originally wanted, Pacific only came about because they couldn’t get a mainland team sorted for the start of the league. It has been rumoured as more a Fraser valley team since the start though so it won’t necessarily be Vancouver proper and they say they haven’t chose a location. So could be more Forge/Hamilton than York compared to to Toronto. Will be interesting how the ownership will work and if they just stay owning both teams.

Saskatchewan has already announced a deal. They just don’t have a stadium so who knows how long that will take.
Yeah, I read those Fraser Valley rumours, too. If that's the case, then it will look much better.

Saskatchewan being set up for a new team is great, too. The stadium will obviously be a problem, but let's hope that they get one, somehow.

Andy_Cole

I haven't seen a dedicated thread here.

Octavio Zambrano sacked as manager of Canada and Canadian youth set up. Women's team double broze medallist John Herdman hired immediately with no interview and no selection process.

Herman has never coached a men's team.

I am actually appalled by this. Zambrano had canada paying the best football I've seen in ages. Results were decent but progress was being made. We actually looked a decent technical side and our tactics very good.

Zambrano was selecting technically proficient players and I really liked the direction.

I have nothing against Herdman and respect his accomplishments but something doesn't seem right here.

Good long term appointment or typical incompetence from Soccer Canada?
Herdman in hindsight an inspired choice.

NoPace

These teams aren't in Europe but I keep thinking he'd suit Burnley well since they need a CM or 2 and he's looked good in a double pivot defending and passing which is what they tend to want from their guys, though maybe he can do better. Maybe Wolves as Moutinho's less creative but better defending replacement (and obviously he speaks Portuguese) or Crystal Palace since Mcarthur is now 34. Most teams play a double pivot so there's really no shortage of teams he could fit in with. I assume we'll see him more on TV next year.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I only know of the Lille forward and the Bayern LB.

Who is another Canadian player that is looking good for the future?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A great win. Mexicans had 1 half chance before the hopeful crosses at the end. We were deserved winners without Davies or David magic.

Big shout to 38 year old Atiba Hutchinson who was immense and could probably get into United's midfield!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Keep an eye out for Stephen Eustáquio. He's getting better and better as a central midfielder, and I can see him playing for an EL-level team at a bare minimum by next season.

I forgot about Tajon Buchanan, too, who's an incredibly raw yet very promising winger. He's going to be playing for Club Brugge from January onwards.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Keep an eye out for Stephen Eustáquio. He's getting better and better as a central midfielder, and I can see him playing for an EL-level team at a bare minimum by next season.

I forgot about Tajon Buchanan, too, who's an incredibly raw yet very promising winger. He's going to be playing for Club Brugge from January onwards.
Okay thanks will do!

If you had to say Eustaquio plays like a certain midfielder who would it be? Same with Buchanan as a winger?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Buchanan from Club Brugge, Stephen Eustáquio from Futebol Clube Paços de Ferreira in Portugal.

Also Ike Ugbo who was a Chelsea academy player.

432JuanMata

Finally using the weather to our advantage. Edmonton is a cold city in November. Mexico must've been miserable :lol:
Might aswell use the advantage. Bolivia are the best for it their pitch is 6-7000 feet above see level so they are used to it but other teams get caught of guard and do be struggling for oxygen

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Okay thanks will do!

If you had to say Eustaquio plays like a certain midfielder who would it be? Same with Buchanan as a winger?
Buchanan's easier to describe. He's basically a slightly lesser version of Davies (the Bayern Munich left back) but on the opposite flank. His touch isn't as tight as Davies's, but he has all of the tools that Davies does.

Eustáquio...I don't know who I can compare him to. He's a very good playmaker and can take control of the midfield. He won't necessary get a ton of assists or goals, but he will keep things ticking and split the opposition with his precise passes. He can also defend quite well including in 1-on-1 situations despite not having any significant athletic traits. I guess...Roy Keane might be a good stylistic comparison?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Also Ike Ugbo who was a Chelsea academy player.
Good shout. He had a great season at Cercle Brugge last season and has taken a step up with KRC Genk, but he is currently behind Onuachu in the pecking order. I can, however, see him starting for Genk if Onuachu ever leaves Genk.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Looks like Herdman wants the next set of fixtures to be at the best possible location(s) for the players. This is basically hinting at the rest of the home games being at Toronto until the team qualifies for Qatar.

FerociousCorgis

think canada will make it thru. In great position right now and their remaining schedule isnt the most difficult of the remaining 4. My bet is they finish somewhere 1-3 and avoid the playoff spot.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Herdman done a great job, wasn't there some dissent when he got the mens position?

Really looking forward to seeing them at world cup now, not just Davies but Larin and Johnathan David are decent forwards. Also looked up and Atiba Hutchinson still their captain so would be great to see a fantastic servant like him play in world cup at nearly 40.

Will use 2022 as prep for 2026 I'd imagine.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Might aswell use the advantage. Bolivia are the best for it their pitch is 6-7000 feet above see level so they are used to it but other teams get caught of guard and do be struggling for oxygen
The US like to do that, too, and occasionally host important games in Denver. The elevation isn't as crazy as Bolivia but I've seen teams go there and run out of gas quickly. And yes, Canada should be hosting every qualifier between October and April in Edmonton.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Panama's persistence makes me worry but we're in a good spot. Just need to keep winning and not let any slip-ups happen like we have for some draws. Bad timing injuries to certain players could also be costly.

I do think everyone from Jamaica downwards are probably done. They'd need to win 6/6, really. Costa Rica need to beat Panama in the coming game to keep their hopes truly alive.

But it's quite incredible that we're top of qualifying after 8 games, is it? Considering we couldn't even make the Hex (rip) until this year. It's been a true transformation with young players coming through & Herdman selling the team to players. Too bad England had to bugger our chances of snatching Tomori.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I laughed so hard when I first saw that! It must be one of the most Canadian things ever. His team are celebrating a goal with the player that scored - and this guy is like, 'there's a heap of fresh snow, I'm going for it!' It's so amazingly awesome! :) :D :lol:

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
The US like to do that, too, and occasionally host important games in Denver. The elevation isn't as crazy as Bolivia but I've seen teams go there and run out of gas quickly. And yes, Canada should be hosting every qualifier between October and April in Edmonton.
Does Whitehorse have a stadium? :lol:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Stayed up till 4am to watch this and was well worth it.

4 of the starting XI from my hometown and boyhood club.

Played against Cyle many times and he never scored two on me, I think I’m better than Mexico.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Too bad England had to bugger our chances of snatching Tomori.
Yeah, I have a feeling that he won't be the only one that we can miss out on. We've missed out on Enes Sali after Romania capped him a few days back. There's also Marcelo Flores who's half-Mexican and plays for Arsenal's underage sides. His father's trying to push him towards playing for Mexico, but I hope that he chooses us over them.

Then there's Ferdi Kadioglu who currently plays for Fenerbahce. There's a chance that Turkey can call him up, but I don't think we'll necessarily miss him as much with the attacking that Canada has at the moment.

Tragically Hip

I went to the Costa Rica game last week and the atmosphere was awesome! I don't think the weather affected that game very much, as it was quite mild, but I think this one definitely helped Canada. The one issue the turf really seemed to make worse were free kicks because Davies' were woeful. To take six points when Davies was average at best is a very positive sign. I've watched this team for a two decades and to see how far they've progressed is amazing.

Reactions: Cheimoon

poleglass red

watched the game, and to be honest, I expected to Canada win it. I can't honestly say I've felt that way about any previous Canadian team when it's faced one of the so called big teams. The strength in depth on this team is insane. Still a bit of work to be done but I fully expect Canada to qualify.I also think Mexico has lost some it's fear factor, in the past they were expected to win these games. Bar the last few mins which is to be expected, I felt Canada dominated

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The atmosphere at Hamilton will be so good! I'm looking forward to travelling to their stadium. The last time I went there was for a Forge FC match, which was an amazing experience.

poleglass red

don't live in Canada anymore, but did so for many years. My son is still there, I was supposed to travel over to see him mid Feb, I;d love to change that and get to bring him to this game. Only issue is that stadium is only around 23k capacity, I'd imagine tickets will be tough to get. Anyone know when they go on sale

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
don't live in Canada anymore, but did so for many years. My son is still there, I was supposed to travel over to see him mid Feb, I;d love to change that and get to bring him to this game. Only issue is that stadium is only around 23k capacity, I'd imagine tickets will be tough to get. Anyone know when they go on sale
That's not been confirmed yet, but if you like, I can send you a PM when the tickets go on presale.