Cancel Culture

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@berbatrick wins this thread so far, btw. Pays to take some time to read through his posts and the links in there.
I think it's because I really hate one side of this debate and really dislike the other :lol:
I think a lot of free speech warriors are just demanding cover for their views, for example tons of people aligned with Quilette and Andrew Sullivan and the IDW generally are on the race-IQ circuit, and I think a lot of the woke stuff is awful and counterproductive.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This is the wrong thread for it, but there's no right one.
Anyway, this is like some personal, religious purity rather than anything that demands political change.

e - it's admin people in the left screenshot, which makes it even more mystifying. they're supposedly in position to make changes instead of leading a facebook chant.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
This is the wrong thread for it, but there's no right one.
Anyway, this is like some personal, religious purity rather than anything that demands political change.

e - it's admin people in the left screenshot, which makes it even more mystifying. they're supposedly in position to make changes instead of leading a facebook chant.
These public displays of white liberal self-flagellation are quite odd. Though it's not unusual for piety and self-regard to trail in the wake of good intentions.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
What exactly was this prof trying to achieve via this email response? he could have literally googled it and had a conversation with his student about it.
It looks like the student put this on Twitter that she's going to confront the professor about the curriculum and she was already pissed off that it was being taught by a white man

entropy

Yeah, we get that from her tweets. The professor could have easily googled for information about black authors on the subject and discussed it with her instead of rage typing that email. It only makes him look like an idiot.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yeah, we get that from her tweets. The professor could have easily googled for information about black authors on the subject and discussed it with her instead of rage typing that email. It only makes him look like an idiot.
we also have no idea what the email she sent looked like, she spent a day or two on twitter telling everybody how she was going to call out the professor and how she's fuming before sending the email.

entropy

we also have no idea what the email she sent looked like, she spent a day or two on twitter telling everybody how she was going to call out the professor and how she's fuming before sending the email.
IMO, it is a joke that someone teaching a course on marginalized groups can’t be bothered to include a single black author. Who does that in 2020?

Nico87

Twitter is currently trying to cancel Alex Turner From Arctic Monkeys because of some anonymous account has accused him of contacting her years ago on Tumblr and asked for her to send photos, the accuse Is not sure it was actually him as it could have apparently been Miles Kane ( or more likely some teenager in his mums basement). The source of the accusations has been lost and large amounts of people are crucifyIng him as a nonce and lashing out at the idea of asking for a shred of evidence as this is bullying the “victims”. Social media is horrific for things like this.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Twitter is currently trying to cancel Alex Turner From Arctic Monkeys because of some anonymous account has accused him of contacting her years ago on Tumblr and asked for her to send photos, the accuse Is not sure it was actually him as it could have apparently been Miles Kane ( or more likely some teenager in his mums basement). The source of the accusations has been lost and large amounts of people are crucifyIng him as a nonce and lashing out at the idea of asking for a shred of evidence as this is bullying the “victims”. Social media is horrific for things like this.

Certain viewpoints like this don't exactly help matters.

hobbers

We all interpret plain text differently but I did not sense any rage in his reply.
Can be categorical about it - there was no rage. Or rudeness. Just indignation at what was (I think we can safely assume since it's not been allowed to see the light of day) a conceited/ignorant/arrogant/all of the above email from some snot nosed brat who seems outraged at the idea of a white person teaching a queer studies course, and spoiling to dox and go after peoples livelihoods at the first opportunity.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I think it is fair to say, he knew what he meant when he sent that email. IMO, it is a dick move and unnecessary.
Not sure how you hold the professor to a standard of fairness and you are comfortable with the student being provocative on social media before even she reaches out to the teacher. There's something wrong with you

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’ve just searched Alex Turner’s name and the top thirty/forty tweets are about how silly this is. There’s no evidence of anyone “cancelling” him whatsoever.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’ve just searched Alex Turner’s name and the top thirty/forty tweets are about how silly this is. There’s no evidence of anyone “cancelling” him whatsoever.
It depends when you catch these things, if youre late to the party then you tend to miss the initial outrage and instead catch the fight back.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It depends when you catch these things, if youre late to the party then you tend to miss the initial outrage and instead catch the fight back.
Is there any way to reconstruct these initial stages of alleged scandals? Some sort of documentation beyond a few selected tweets? A way to order comments chronologically would help, but it doesn't seem to exist on Twitter and Instagram. I had the same question about the Adele issue.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The reason I'm asking is this: there's a fundamental difference if we have a rather limited number of loonies, whose tweets then get amplified way beyond their actual proportion among the crowd, or if we have a real avelanche of dozens, hundreds, or thousands of users aggressively dominating the scene.

If it's the latter, we'd be talking about a mob scenario as it's usually claimed, granted. But if it's the former, we'd be talking more about the manufactured impression of a mob. The issue would then be how social media processes help creating mass hysteria (mostly among the opponents of the alleged mob) by unduly amplifying or promoting specific opinions that trigger responses. Or certain reaction patterns from users that determine which opinions get excessively retweeted and talked about, therefore overrepresented.

(All of this may exist in parallel of course, varying from incident to incident.)

For example, I'm sure that social media related "news" are often deliberately designed this way. Not as part of some masterminded campaign, but through the happy marriage of these sites' economic need for clicks and the ideological need for new scandals among the public.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is there any way to reconstruct these initial stages of alleged scandals? Some sort of documentation beyond a few selected tweets? A way to order comments chronologically would help, but it doesn't seem to exist on Twitter and Instagram. I had the same question about the Adele issue.
I'm not sure, I don't mess around with Twitter or Instagram.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I'm not sure, I don't mess around with Twitter or Instagram.
Same here. Genuinely find it hard to relate to that universe and determine what's "real" (and in which ways), and what's not.

Smores

Same here. Genuinely find it hard to relate to that universe and determine what's "real" (and in which ways), and what's not.
Not via the app but the website version does let you do advanced searches which i guess you could use to pinpoint events back. Twitter is basically manufactured so things go viral easily so there's certainly an element of stoking embers.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Not via the app but the website version does let you do advanced searches which i guess you could use to pinpoint events back. Twitter is basically manufactured so things go viral easily so there's certainly an element of stoking embers.
Will try it out, thanks. Looks like I'll finally get myself an account, yay.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
You're no longer allowed to block people on twitter.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I never knew that about "cake walk" - it's not a phrase you often hear. I'm surprised by the derivation.
Same, nitty Gritty as well - I had no idea where they came from. If they have genuine roots in slavery I can see the logic in avoiding them. The ‘whiter than white’ stuff seems a bit much though. It’s got no link to race at all as far as I know.

NotThatSoph

Same, nitty Gritty as well - I had no idea where they came from. If they have genuine roots in slavery I can see the logic in avoiding them. The ‘whiter than white’ stuff seems a bit much though. It’s got no link to race at all as far as I know.
Some people are trying to move away from using words and phrases pushing that whole white good black bad thing, e.g. some programmers are moving away from using the terms blacklist and whitelist. Not because it's explicitly linked to race or that it's a pressing issue, but just because why not? There are a lot of words and phrases to choose from, we're probably not in dire need of that particular image.

Maybe that's what they're going for here.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think it's more that in general white words/phrases tend to have positive connotations, black prefixed words/phrases tend to be negative. So if you can get out of the habit of using phrases like, "a black mark against him," it's a good thing.

The other one is the pace and power business. It might be true of a player, but is it really the first thing you'd say about that player if he were white? Typically, it's not and it's reminding broadcasters how easy the stereotyping trap is when you've got ten seconds of air time to fill.

Interestingly, back in the old days of the more blatantly racist 70s/80s some of the first black players to break through were highly skilled wingers. But that just meant they were greeted with a different stereotype - "soft" or "lazy" or whatever, but described more like flashy dancers than the "tough, hardworking pros" in the rest of the team.

Brophs

The One and Only
For a bloke voluntarily right in the middle of it all, Laurence Fox really seems not to understand what 'being cancelled' is.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
When close friends break contact with you over your new political direction, its probably worth taking some time to think about why instead of just leaking your private conversations on Twitter.

Halftrack

The reason I'm asking is this: there's a fundamental difference if we have a rather limited number of loonies, whose tweets then get amplified way beyond their actual proportion among the crowd, or if we have a real avelanche of dozens, hundreds, or thousands of users aggressively dominating the scene.

If it's the latter, we'd be talking about a mob scenario as it's usually claimed, granted. But if it's the former, we'd be talking more about the manufactured impression of a mob. The issue would then be how social media processes help creating mass hysteria (mostly among the opponents of the alleged mob) by unduly amplifying or promoting specific opinions that trigger responses. Or on certain reaction patterns from users that determine which opinions get excessively retweeted and talked about, therefore overrepresented.

(All of this may exist in parallel of course, varying from incident to incident.)

For example, I'm sure that social media related "news" are often deliberately designed this way. Not as part of some masterminded campaign, but through the happy marriage of these sites' economic need for clicks and the ideological need for new scandals among the public.
Chance often plays a big part. It's really down to whether it catches the eye of the right account, and by that I mean accounts that have enough followers that them interacting with it means thousands more will be exposed to it.

Wait, how was anything she wrote racist?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

She was probably fed up of his constant whining. I don't know the guy, I have no idea about what he has done professionally and yet he seems to be all over british medias whining about the misery that his life is.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Fox a passive aggressive racist cnut, frustrated cant verbalise his racist views overtly, and frustrated that he is getting canned because he cant admit to being a racist publicly.

Watching people like him become irrelevant publicly is a truly wonderful phenomena.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Chance often plays a big part. It's really down to whether it catches the eye of the right account, and by that I mean accounts that have enough followers that them interacting with it means thousands more will be exposed to it.

Wait, how was anything she wrote racist?
I'm guessing he's calling Front's line about 'the least we can do is let them have a fecking slogan' racist, as if she's dismissing black people as 'them', worthy only of the BLM branding and nothing else. As far as I can see that's not what she's saying at all; she thinks that's the least black people deserve (you know, maybe they deserve not to be shot dead by police at x-times the rate of white people in the US as well) and is actually calling out the small-mindedness that leads people such as Fox to reframe BLM's MO from something like 'we're sick of being poor relations, it'd be good to have some equality and whatnot' to 'Black lives matter and everyone else's don't matter a fecking jot'. 'Just let them have a slogan' is a patronising and terrible thing to say but the point is it's many times less bad than what Fox and his ilk have decided to do.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Some people are trying to move away from using words and phrases pushing that whole white good black bad thing, e.g. some programmers are moving away from using the terms blacklist and whitelist. Not because it's explicitly linked to race or that it's a pressing issue, but just because why not? There are a lot of words and phrases to choose from, we're probably not in dire need of that particular image.

Maybe that's what they're going for here.
I think it's more that in general white words/phrases tend to have positive connotations, black prefixed words/phrases tend to be negative. So if you can get out of the habit of using phrases like, "a black mark against him," it's a good thing.

The other one is the pace and power business. It might be true of a player, but is it really the first thing you'd say about that player if he were white? Typically, it's not and it's reminding broadcasters how easy the stereotyping trap is when you've got ten seconds of air time to fill.

Interestingly, back in the old days of the more blatantly racist 70s/80s some of the first black players to break through were highly skilled wingers. But that just meant they were greeted with a different stereotype - "soft" or "lazy" or whatever, but described more like flashy dancers than the "tough, hardworking pros" in the rest of the team.
I dunno I didn’t know anyone actually cared about it since those phrases refer literally to the colour black, rather than black people. But yeah if any black people are offended by it let’s change it, it doesn’t affect me.