Cancel Culture

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I dunno I didn’t know anyone actually cared about it since those phrases refer literally to the colour black, rather than black people. But yeah if any black people are offended by it let’s change it, it doesn’t affect me.
As a kid you do wonder but later when I learned about Manichaeism I understood where the concept may come from, it's about darkness(Evil) and light(good). Manichaeism has been a very influential religion and you can see it everywhere.

Halftrack

I'm guessing he's calling Front's line about 'the least we can do is let them have a fecking slogan' racist, as if she's dismissing black people as 'them', worthy only of the BLM branding and nothing else. As far as I can see that's not what she's saying at all; she thinks that's the least black people deserve (you know, maybe they deserve not to be shot dead by police at x-times the rate of white people in the US as well) and is actually calling out the small-mindedness that leads people such as Fox to reframe BLM's MO from something like 'we're sick of being poor relations, it'd be good to have some equality and whatnot' to 'Black lives matter and everyone else's don't matter a fecking jot'. 'Just let them have a slogan' is a patronising and terrible thing to say but the point is it's many times less bad than what Fox and his ilk have decided to do.
Yeah, I read it as her trying to highlight just how fecking petty and spiteful people like him are.

In context, it requires a bad faith reading to construe it as racist. Which I guess comes naturally to someone who's liable to proclaim "All Lives Matter" in response to "Black Lives Matter."

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Yeah, I read it as her trying to highlight just how fecking petty and spiteful people like him are.

In context, it requires a bad faith reading to construe it as racist. Which I guess comes naturally to someone who's liable to proclaim "All Lives Matter" in response to "Black Lives Matter."

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
"liable to proclaim "All Lives Matter" in response to ´Black Lives Matter.´" i dont understand why is that so bad, i mean, it´s stupidly obvious but is true

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
"liable to proclaim "All Lives Matter" in response to ´Black Lives Matter.´" i dont understand why is that so bad, i mean, it´s stupidly obvious but is true
Not entirely sure what you mean there, do you don't understand what's wrong with saying" all lives matter" in response to "black lives matter" ?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Not entirely sure what you mean there, do you don't understand what's wrong with saying" all lives matter" in response to "black lives matter" ?
yes. I think is stupid, because that´s not the point of the one saying "BLM", but from that to call the other saying ALM a racist, is a long shot

sebsheep

yes. I think is stupid, because that´s not the point of the one saying "BLM", but from that to call the other saying ALM a racist, is a long shot
It generally comes from where the "all lives matter" response actually same from (or at least where it gained a lot of popularity), coupled with a slight misunderstanding of what the term "black lives matter" is about. The "all lives matter" stuff started being thrown about by far/alt-right groups who were suggesting that the "black lives matter" saying was suggesting that white lives don't, it's why you sometimes see "white lives matter too" stuff being banded about.
The "black lives matter" message was that black lives matter too, exactly the same as all other lives. The problem is they're not always treated as if they do so that's why it's worded the way it is.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
It generally comes from where the "all lives matter" response actually same from (or at least where it gained a lot of popularity), coupled with a slight misunderstanding of what the term "black lives matter" is about. The "all lives matter" stuff started being thrown about by far/alt-right groups who were suggesting that the "black lives matter" saying was suggesting that white lives don't, it's why you sometimes see "white lives matter too" stuff being banded about.
The "black lives matter" message was that black lives matter too, exactly the same as all other lives. The problem is they're not always treated as if they do so that's why it's worded the way it is.
thank you

NotThatSoph

thank you
There's a common analogy that I think is pretty helpful.

Say you and a group order pizza together and split the bill. The pizza gets sent around, but before it reaches you all the slices are taken. You're understandably annoyed, and hungry. The next time it happens again, and now you speak up. This is unfair, you're paying like everyone else and you should get to eat pizza. The response you get is that you all should get pizza.

This response is both unhelpful and stupid, and even more it's quite malicious. Of course everyone should get pizza, that's the point. You're a group, and you're all paying. But they all are getting their pizza while you're not. It's also a response that is anti you more than the general principle they pretend it to be, because they're only saying that everyone should get pizza because you're saying that you should get a slice, and they're not actually doing anything to solve your hunger.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
someone needs to make a compilation of these free speech warriors celebrating investigations into other people's opinions set to benny hill music

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
President Trump on Thursday said he would create a commission to promote "patriotic education" and announced the creation of a grant to develop a "pro-American curriculum." The move is largely political — a reaction to a growing push by some academics for schools to teach an American history that better acknowledges slavery and systemic racism.

In the speech, Trump decried what he said was a "twisted web of lies" being taught in U.S. classrooms about systemic racism in America, calling it "a form of child abuse."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure is this goes in this thread or the George Floyd thread. Put in in here because apparently activists wanted to demonstrate outside to store to get the manager fired because he called the police on 2 black men who shoplifted.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...g/news-story/a673263805411e01689bd7fffb24d323
That’s definitely not cancel culture. Maybe there should be another thread titled “People Being A Pain in The Arse to People Who Are Just Doing Their Job For Facebook Likes and Shares”

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
That’s definitely not cancel culture. Maybe there should be another thread titled “People Being A Pain in The Arse to People Who Are Just Doing Their Job For Facebook Likes and Shares”
Was just based on this quote

" Activists said they were planing to protest outside the store on Wednesday afternoon and called for a boycott until the “racist manager is replaced or fired”

I thought people grouping together to get people fired who in the eyes of the extreme woke comitted a heinious sin of wrong think or wrong act was part of cancel culture.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was just based on this quote

" Activists said they were planing to protest outside the store on Wednesday afternoon and called for a boycott until the “racist manager is replaced or fired”

I thought people grouping together to get people fired who in the eyes of the extreme woke comitted a heinious sin of wrong think or wrong act was part of cancel culture.
Didn’t see that bit. Was assuming this was all the work of one idiot. Have you seen any evidence of this planned protest?

Gehrman

Didn’t see that bit. Was assuming this was all the work of one idiot. Have you seen any evidence of this planned protest?
No only read the article and seen the video, however considering the current climate, I wouldn't be surprised if someone were actually planning on doing it.

NotThatSoph

Professional critic of cancel culture Sam Harris agrees with professional critic of cancel culture Andrew Sullivan that Nikole Hannah-Jones should be cancelled.

sebsheep

Professional critic of cancel culture Sam Harris agrees with professional critic of cancel culture Andrew Sullivan that Nikole Hannah-Jones should be cancelled.
:lol:
What's the deal with the 1619 project anyway?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Do universities routiney monitor social media activity of their professors?

Needham

...should rescind and apologize not "be cancelled."

Gehrman

Can you sum up in your own words what these two hyperventilating clowns are trying to tell us? Or rather, what you intended to say with that video?
Nah it just a parody video on the subject of Joe Rogan's staff trying to get him cancelled. I understand some of the level of outrage levelled at him though regarding a particular episode where he basically laughed with a sexist pig.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Nah it just a parody video on the subject of Joe Rogan's staff trying to get him cancelled. I understand some of the level of outrage levelled at him though regarding a particular episode where he basically laughed with a sexist pig.
90% of the video is just generic stereotypes about "wokes" and plugging a cacao product.

I'd like to ask the same I asked someone else on a similar occasion: You often claim your adversaries are too irrational for a reasonable discussion - how does that match with posting a video of two rambling idiots with zero argumentative content?

Gehrman

90% of the video is just generic stereotypes about "wokes" and plugging a cacao product.

I'd like to ask the same I asked someone else on a similar occasion: You often claim your adversaries are too irrational for a reasonable discussion - how does that match with posting a video of two rambling idiots with zero argumentative content?
I honestly just found parts of it funny and parts of it not. That's it.

I also don't claim to have adversaries nor claim they are too irrational to have a reasonable discussion. Shamans(not Shamana) clearly doesn't like me though which he's entitled to. I am not often that fond of myself either.

Last edited: