Cancel Culture

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Doesn't really matter what you think though does it? They are rightfully ridiculed.

If you say you understand why, but think it's implemented poorly, it suggests that you don't actually have a comprehension of understanding.
Or it suggests that you don't actually understand, but you are saying you do for fear of receiving criticism.

Either way, they will continue to get ridiculed because it's a stupid phrase that is deserving of it.
I completely understand why they are used, but I just don't agree with it. They are sometimes used on people who never made the claim in the first place. I have no fear of criticism, but it is my experience on the Caf that the mods are quite trigger happy, so I'm never quite sure whether I can deliver my criticism against my criticism without being banned. This is not afterall a free speech forum.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I completely understand why they are used, but I just don't agree with it. They are sometimes used on people who never made the claim in the first place. I have no fear of criticism, but it is my experience on the Caf that the mods are quite trigger happy, so I'm never quite sure whether I can deliver my criticism against my criticism without being banned. This is not afterall a free speech forum.

You've only had 8 warnings in 2 years. That's nothing really.

nimic

something nice
Scout
In my experience with internet forums in the style of RedCafe, the mods are actually quite lenient. Admittedly there aren't a lot of big RedCafe-style forums these days, but I think you could find yourself in a much stricter place.

Gehrman

If you can't speak your mind then why bother?
Because I otherwise enojy Redcafe. I find it to be one of the best forums on the internet. I've asked for alternatives but never been suggested a better one. I personally think there is nice balance and blend here.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Because I otherwise enojy Redcafe. I find it to be one of the best forums on the internet. I've asked for alternatives but never been suggested a better one. I personally think there is nice balance and blend here.
Well you seem to be in the habit of moaning about the staff here and how you can't speak your mind. Maybe you should just stick to footy posting.

Gehrman

Well you seem to be in the habit of moaning about the staff here and how you can't speak your mind. Maybe you should just stick to footy posting.
I think this is the first time I've openly moaned about the staff, but I might be wrong.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What about it don’t you agree with?
Or are you somehow suggesting that having a black/gay/etc friend somehow gives a person the right to group an entire group of peoples actions/thoughts/wants etc based on a sample size that represents 0.0001% of the total?
Do you not see how stupid that is?

Gehrman

What about it don’t you agree with?
Or are you somehow suggesting that having a black/gay/etc friend somehow gives a person the right to group an entire group of peoples actions/thoughts/wants etc based on a sample size that represents 0.0001% of the total?
Do you not see how stupid that is?
I don't follow what you are saying here. I would agree that making mass generalizations based on a few people you know who fall under the protected minority group is not objectively correct.

Halftrack

How is 'why did twitter users start put pro nouns in" the main part of the story?

Notice the dates?
On September 14th, beep/bop/boop was still in her handle. Which kind of goes against your narrative that she removed it after her conversation with Pascal, given that it was still there two days later.

And, as someone who followed it as it was unfolding, I can say with absolute certainty that she added beep/bop/boop after she posted about her conversation with Pedro Pascal. Which is a major reason for why people were so outraged by it. She had the reasons behind it explained to her, seemed like she understood what it was about and was sympathetic of it, then did an about-face and mocked the practice.

decorativeed

On September 14th, beep/bop/boop was still in her handle. Which kind of goes against your narrative that she removed it after her conversation with Pascal, given that it was still there two days later.

And, as someone who followed it as it was unfolding, I can say with absolute certainty that she added beep/bop/boop after she posted about her conversation with Pedro Pascal. Which is a major reason for why people were so outraged by it. She had the reasons behind it explained to her, seemed like she understood what it was about and was sympathetic of it, then did an about-face and mocked the practice.
Thanks for that. I was trying to work out the timeline too in my post on the previous page. It shows how problematic using twitter screengrabs as evidence is, as we can never be sure when the screengrabs were made.

cyberman

Yep. And you have people like Bill Burr who just blindly back people because they know them. Its how this culture was allowed to go unpunished for so long.

starman

Could you be a bit more specific? Perhaps give an example?

I am trying to find the video where I first become aware of its use, it was done by one of the big internet media channels, vice or buzzfeed, where there was a group chat and the majority were happy to be called "it" if you didnt know their preferred pronouns.

decorativeed

I am trying to find the video where I first become aware of its use, it was done by one of the big internet media channels, vice or buzzfeed, where there was a group chat and the majority were happy to be called "it" if you didnt know their preferred pronouns.
A video with less than 700 views, where they can't even spell 'its' properly. That's your source?

starman

A video with less than 700 views, where they can't even spell 'its' properly. That's your source?
What exactly are you after? The use of it is a thing, is it not? My source is the internet a mentioned, from which I picked two examples, you can use Google can you not? Iam sorry it didn't meet your postdetermined standards..

decorativeed

What exactly are you after? The use of it is a thing, is it not? My source is the internet a mentioned, from which I picked two examples, you can use Google can you not? Iam sorry it didn't meet your postdetermined standards..
Yeah, I'll just look up the word 'its' on Google...

To be fair, I wasn't being entirely serious with you. Having had a look, I can see that there are indeed a few people out there who don't mind being an 'it', most find it derogatory. Maybe it's a term they want to reclaim in a similar way to how many in the LGBT community are doing with the word queer, while others still have an issue with the word.

"The pronoun "it" is traditionally used for inanimate objects, and occasionally for animals or babies. Some people use it/its pronouns as a gender neutral pronoun, however this "it" should only be used for a person if they say it's okay to do so, as to do otherwise is dehumanizing."

starman

Yeah, I'll just look up the word 'its' on Google...

To be fair, I wasn't being entirely serious with you. Having had a look, I can see that there are indeed a few people out there who don't mind being an 'it', most find it derogatory. Maybe it's a term they want to reclaim in a similar way to how many in the LGBT community are doing with the word queer, while others still have an issue with the word.
Well the buzzfeed or vice video i first heard about its use with the group chat, there were a few that hated it, but a majority, 6 out 10, iirc, didnt mind it, if you didnt know their preferred pronouns. And from my understanding, pronouns are supposed to be individualism, so there probably won't ever be a single general identifier people 100% agree on. This is not to say you should use it, if identifying someone, this should come down your own opinion, and to me i think its rude.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If she really didn’t want to put any pronouns in her title then she could’ve just ignored the people asking her to. She didn’t need to engage with them, or childishly mock them with the beep/boop thing.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't follow what you are saying here. I would agree that making mass generalizations based on a few people you know who fall under the protected minority group is not objectively correct.
Then I'm not sure what your objection is with people who ridicule those who say phrases such as "I have a black friend"

Gehrman

Then I'm not sure what your objection is with people who ridicule those who say phrases such as "I have a black friend"
Because some people use that phrase for people who never used that phrase in the first place to insinuate that they are racist. A person made the homosexual friend trope in response to me, when I made the point, that my brother in law is homosexual but lives in celibacy because he thinks it sinfull as a devout Christian, whilst my viewpoint is that I wish he would believe that God if we pretends he exists, wouldn't care at all if he is indeed has compassion. Yet someone pulled out the "I have a gay friend" trope to insinuate that I am homophobic. It gets rather boring.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Because some people use that phrase for people who never used that phrase in the first place to insinuate that they are racist. A person made the homosexual friend trope in response to me, when I made the point, that my brother in law is homosexual but lives in celibacy because he thinks it sinfull as a devout Christian, whilst my viewpoint is that I wish he would believe that God if we pretends he exists, wouldn't care at all if he is indeed has compassion. Yet someone pulled out the "I have a gay friend" trope to insinuate that I am homophobic.
Someone used it against you, so now you don't agree with the use of the phrase, and think it's 'poorly implemented', isn't that also a mass generalisation based on a small sample size?

Gehrman

Someone used it against you, so now you don't agree with the use of the phrase, and think it's 'poorly implemented', isn't that also a mass generalisation based on a small sample size?
It's my observation of how discussion tends to go on the Caf. I guess a bit like yours, but from a different view point.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's my observation of how discussion tends to go on the Caf. I guess a bit like yours, but from a different view point.
It's based on an interaction with 1 person, but sure.
I've never seen someone on the caf ridicule the 'i have a x friend' trope incorrectly - and I hope they continue to mock those who use it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Blaming cancel culture for your own mistakes is probably a hell of a lot easier for these morons than accepting that they made a mistake.

Halftrack

Thanks for that. I was trying to work out the timeline too in my post on the previous page. It shows how problematic using twitter screengrabs as evidence is, as we can never be sure when the screengrabs were made.
I decided to just use the waybackmachine after seeing that particular line of defense pop up a couple of times lately. I can certainly agree that people get overzealous and that she has every right not to put pronouns in her bio, and that sticking to that right doesn't make her a bad person. It's the whole attempt at re-framing of it as crazy leftists/trans-activists trying to have her cancelled after she admitted to having made a mistake and apologizing for it (not actually, but they want you to think that she did) that gets me.
Yep. And you have people like Bill Burr who just blindly back people because they know them. Its how this culture was allowed to go unpunished for so long.
I get that he's been against "cancel culture" for a long time, but it's not like she accidentally said a bad thing and got canned as he seemed to imply. She was denied a new contract because she failed to heed Disney's repeated advice to tone down her bullshit on social media. Not many companies that aren't firmly in the "muh freedoms" mindset are going to put up with an employee conspiracy posting about the election and a global pandemic. That's before we even get to her transphobic posts and comparing being a conservative to being a Jew in 1930s Germany.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The line is basically shorthand for "you've got shit arguments, why would I engage with this [again]" when used to someone who's trying to say they're not racist.

Gehrman

The line is basically shorthand for "you've got shit arguments, why would I engage with this [again]" when used to someone who's trying to say they're not racist.
There is a point to be made that once someone has been accused of being racist it is unfalsifiable against some strangers on the internet who do not know you. Only yourself and the people who know you best, would actually know whether you are racist or not. Any attempt to prove that you are not racist on the caf only provides certain types of people more evidence that you're racist ie White Fragility pr. Robin D'angelo. But if you have indisputably made a racist comment on the internet as defined as how we definitey define racism, then that person have certainly made a racist comment.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of course you can prove (over time) you are not a racist (by not displaying racist behaviour) if you are in fact, not a racist.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dunno where to post this, but this is some brilliant marketing.

Sure they clarified in a reply, but the damage was done. This went viral and the clarification got like 5 retweets.

OleBoiii

Sure they clarified in a reply, but the damage was done. This went viral and the clarification got like 5 retweets.
When you try to clickbait like that you deserve to be cancelled :lol:

Anyways:

Gehrman

Frankly that's pretty much what I'd expect from Burger King. Why are they not called Burger Queen anyway?