Cancel Culture

I just got into the Rolling Stones in the last couple of months - I know I'm late...my Mum played exclusively African gospel music growing up. :lol:

Stray Cat Blues holds up really well as a song, still sounds fresh, but the lyrics would never fly nowadays.

Apparently they even changed the lyric from '15' to '13' at live performances because Jagger didn't feel it was provocative enough.

Caius

I just got into the Rolling Stones in the last couple of months - I know I'm late...my Mum played exclusively African gospel music growing up. :lol:

Stray Cat Blues holds up really well as a song, still sounds fresh, but the lyrics would never fly nowadays.

Apparently they even changed the lyric from '15' to '13' at live performances because Jagger didn't feel it was provocative enough.
100% agreed - so many old rock songs extol the wonders of underaged girls and it was very hard for me to process growing up, my mom's a big Rolling Stones fan and I still remember how awkward I felt listening to Stray Cat Blues in the car when I was younger, also remember her trying to somehow explain Brown Sugar to me without going into the details :lol:

My Sharona is hella creepy too, I feel kinda uncomfortable listening to it today even if it is so damn catchy.

Any guesses on how long it would take for The Beatles to be cancelled today after lyrics like this? "I'd rather see you dead, little girl / Than to be with another man" (such a shit way to end a great album)

Also, Rolling Stone the magazine always struck me as kind of leftist boomer propaganda in recent times, weird that they're now being boycotted for apparently supporting Trump! Not exactly a news org that seems very relevant today.

Tarrou

I’m visiting family for Easter and the kids wanted to watch white chicks for some reason

Never seen it before but fecking hell how is this not cancelled into oblivion?

it’s racist as feck, homophobic, sexist, and they even through in a bit of date rape for good measure

also it’s just a terrible terrible film

The Firestarter

I’m visiting family for Easter and the kids wanted to watch white chicks for some reason

Never seen it before but fecking hell how is this not cancelled into oblivion?

it’s racist as feck, homophobic, and they even through in a bit of date rape for good measure - it’s an abomination!
How do you cancel a 17yr old movie ?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
illuminating thoughts from a professor of politics affiliated with the manhattan institute

OleBoiii

illuminating thoughts from a professor of politics affiliated with the manhattan institute

Number 3 tickles me for two reasons:

1. How do you prove/disprove neutrality?
2. I thought that Americans generally found the idea of political neutrality to be impossible? That's why Fox News etc is given so much slack.

OleBoiii

Ok, it's definitely gone too far. First they went for ContraPoints, now they're going for Lindsay Ellis... What the feck is wrong with the left in the US? Why can't you be more like the left here in Scandinavia(for instance)? :/

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If cancel culture abolishes all youtube creators except redlettermedia I will support it.

On this specific one, it looks like she is being canceled over almost nothing, but she was part of that call-out crowd too, so, whatever. Also I think if she had just said nothing for a day when they were attacking her she would have been fine and not felt the need to deactivate.

E-about the length of the videos from both her and contra regarding this

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
the threat of cancel culture is the end of free speech and the censorship of ideas it deems doubleplusungood

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Tough to not view that through the same prism as Pepe Le Pew.

Makes sense it is being trumpeted by the Post. Outrage opportunists gonna outrage opportunist.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Tough to not view that through the same prism as Pepe Le Pew.

Makes sense it is being trumpeted by the Post. Outrage opportunists gonna outrage opportunist.
It's not just the post though. Anyway I think stabbing her in the heart with a adrenaline stick like in Pulp Fiction would be pretty cool.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's not just the post though. Anyway I think stabbing her in the heart with a adrenaline stick like in Pulp Fiction would be pretty cool.
Never realized Snow White was ODing.

That changes my perception of her.

decorativeed

So Daily Mail / this Dan Wooton cock admits cancel culture is good, so long as the person getting cancelled is someone you don't like.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Lefties get a guy fired because it turns out in college he wore blackface to a bunch of parties and sexually assaulted women.

Righties get a journalist fired because it turns out in college she was part of an organisation that demand a country be held accountable for their human rights violations.

And on a forum somewhere someone is shouting "THey'Re ExacTLy tHe SaME tHinG."

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Lefties get a guy fired because it turns out in college he wore blackface to a bunch of parties and sexually assaulted women.

Righties get a journalist fired because it turns out in college she was part of an organisation that demand a country be held accountable for their human rights violations.

And on a forum somewhere someone is shouting "THey'Re ExacTLy tHe SaME tHinG."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So Daily Mail / this Dan Wooton cock admits cancel culture is good, so long as the person getting cancelled is someone you don't like.

At least he’s honest. That’s the way it works for everyone. As you can see in this thread.

For the record, I don’t know who he is but I’m sure he’s a cock and I doubt the list of people he’d enjoy seeing cancelled is the same as my own.