Cancel Culture

Sweet Square

The Guardian never struck me as being high on the free speech list. Same as NYT and Washingtonpost. Not to say either of those papers are without their merits. Most major publications come out with some good stuff of substance and some utter crap at times.
They published/worked on the Snowden stuff which really pissed off the US and UK governments. The UK government actual went into their offices and demanded they destroy the evidence Snowden had given them but since then they've been very close with Mi5 and British state in general.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Inside a Battle Over Race, Class and Power at Smith College

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/us/smith-college-race.html

Related (older) article about diversity trainings:
https://jacobinmag.com/2020/09/workplace-anti-racism-trainings-trump-corporate-america

Workplace “Anti-Racism Trainings” Aren’t Helping
BYJ. C. PAN
Donald Trump hysterically considers it a Marxist plot, but corporate "anti-racism training" isn't a practice that anyone should defend. It doesn't actually combat racism and it helps bosses consolidate their power over employees under a veneer of social justice.

An aside about litigious students, who were mentioned in the NYT piece - as TAs we were told to never be alone with a student especially of the opposite sex, and to discreetly record audio if it ever happened so that we're always in the clear. I didn't bother the few times it happened, but when you're teaching rich, lawyered-up students, and have grading power over them, everything is apparently a risk.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Prof fired for tweets, after state legislators demanded her firing for negative tweets about Pence.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Where are the tweets that got her fired?
she posted just the notice, not sure if there's specific examples cited by the college.

she's suing, i don't know on what grounds

Cancelled! For his speech! But does it count? Does cancel culture apply to actual workers or only the culture industry/academia?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
she posted just the notice, not sure if there's specific examples cited by the college.

she's suing, i don't know on what grounds

Cancelled! For his speech! But does it count? Does cancel culture apply to actual workers or only the culture industry/academia?
Breaching your employer’s social media policy and being punished accordingly is definitely part of cancel culture. It’s the end game. Although the process that gets to that point that would also matter if we’re going to be pedantic about it.

Did that person tweet something (or do something) that a load of randomers took offence too, amplifying what they said/did, attempting to destroy their reputation and demanding their employers take action? If so, then yes, that’s classic cancel culture in action.

EDIT: Actually that guy wasn’t punished for posting anything online. He was fired first. Then complained online about it. How is that cancel culture?! Trader Joes are being cnuts, obviously, but nobody has been cancelled here. Sounds like he has grounds for unfair dismissal. He should get his union involved.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
EDIT: Actually that guy wasn’t punished for posting anything online. He was fired first. Then complained online about it. How is that cancel culture?! Trader Joes are being cnuts, obviously, but nobody has been cancelled here. Sounds like he has grounds for unfair dismissal. He should get his union involved.
fired for writing something to management. that's what my question was. does the writing have to be a product of a rarefied intellectual/artist/journalist, or can a set of demands from a normal person also qualify for these debates?

i think the underlying fact in all cases, this or the more famous academic ones, is employer power over things not strictly related to your job. the online mobs would be much less scary if they couldn't do real-world things, and the most common real-world thing they can do now is make you lose your job.

also, no union, i think.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
fired for writing something to management. that's what my question was. does the writing have to be a product of a rarefied intellectual/artist/journalist, or can a set of demands from a normal person also qualify for these debates?

i think the underlying fact in all cases, this or the more famous academic ones, is employer power over things not strictly related to your job. the online mobs would be much less scary if they couldn't do real-world things, and the most common real-world thing they can do now is make you lose your job.

also, no union, i think.
This is true.

Although my definition of cancel culture would be someone expressing an opinion that isn’t necessarily related to their job - and certainly isn’t addressed to their employer - which is amplified and escalated by strangers on the internet until there are real world consequences. Either in terms of their job or other relationships they have.

This seems like a straightforward employer-employee disagreement. Where the employer comes out of it looking badly but we’re only hearing one side of the story.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I like how a unifying agenda of those against censorship is to ban teaching they do not like.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Dr. Seuss, the newest frontier of American politics and Cancel Culture.

Very Important Stuff!

The best thing anyone in the Biden admin has done so far

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

As though nothing happened between the 50s and today...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks_controversy

At a 2003 performance in London, Natalie Maines of the American country band the Dixie Chicks, now known as the Chicks, made a statement criticizing President George W. Bush and the imminent Allied invasion of Iraq. The criticism led to backlash from country listeners, who were mostly right-wing and supported the war. The Dixie Chicks were blacklisted by thousands of country radio stations, and the band members received death threats. The backlash damaged sales of the Dixie Chicks' music and concert tickets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_controversies

In 2005, Target Corporation was criticized by the American Family Association for their decision not to use the term "Christmas" in any of their in-store, online, or print advertising.[85] The AFA initiated a nationwide boycott of the Target Corporation, resulting in over 700,000 petition signatures. Within a week of initiating the boycott, the AFA received an official letter from Target which indicated that they would begin incorporating the term "Christmas" in their advertising
(and a dozen others on the same page)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Salaita_hiring_controversy

The Steven Salaita hiring controversy was a controversy about an American professor who was un-hired[fn 1] following a campaign by pro-Israel students, faculty and donors who contended that his tweets protesting Israel's bombardment of Gaza were anti-Semitic.
(and Norman Finkelstein a decade previously)

And all these cancelations in a country with a strong 1st amendment!?!

starman

Old video, but interesting take on the subject.

Although I grew up with the expansion of the Internet, I am so glad i didnt have a childhood during the explosion of social media and have memories of not having a smartphone...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

As though nothing happened between the 50s and today...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks_controversy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_controversies

(and a dozen others on the same page)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Salaita_hiring_controversy

(and Norman Finkelstein a decade previously)

And all these cancelations in a country with a strong 1st amendment!?!
Thank you I found my hero.

If Dwarf Tossing is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Toss Dwarfs: is Dwarf Tossing A Victimless Crime?

hobbers

Can't wait for them to get to the rest of his discography :nervous:
I saw that article and first thought was it must be about Kim or Kill You again like it usually is.

Nah it's the modern vanilla stuff. :lol: They'd need intensive extra therapy sessions if they were ever exposed to anything from SSLP or MMLP.

AkaAkuma

Old video, but interesting take on the subject.

Although I grew up with the expansion of the Internet, I am so glad i didnt have a childhood during the explosion of social media and have memories of not having a smartphone...

Interesting, but then the recommended next video was an interview with shapiro.

I did enjoy the discussion though and will have a closer look at the guy.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
if you had
one tweet
one post
to cancel everyone you ever wanted
would you cancel eminem
or just let it slip

(literally the only lyrics i know)

AkaAkuma

Not so old video, but interesting take on the subject...

My take away was that its just a case of tables turning and "cultural norms" are now dictated by a different set of players?

What was your take? Generally curious if ive missed something.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm pretty sure they've attempted to cancel him in the past but this whole cancel culture only works on those who give a feck. Eminem doesn't strike me as a person who does :lol:
Guy had the government coming after him earlier on as well. I don't think people with certain levels of fame will ever really get cancelled either way.
I saw that article and first thought was it must be about Kim or Kill You again like it usually is.

Nah it's the modern vanilla stuff. :lol: They'd need intensive extra therapy sessions if they were ever exposed to anything from SSLP or MMLP.
There's definitely a lot of songs by Eminem and other artists that contain some pretty messed up lyrics/themes. Then at the same time as someone else mentioned in a different thread on here, and Eminem has pointed out himself, movies spark a lot less controversy (not to say they don't get any) but have some really bad stuff in them.

Having said all that, when are we going after Sir Tom Jones for what he did to Delilah?

bsCallout

Guy had the government coming after him earlier on as well. I don't think people with certain levels of fame will ever really get cancelled either way.

There's definitely a lot of songs by Eminem and other artists that contain some pretty messed up lyrics/themes. Then at the same time as someone else mentioned in a different thread on here, and Eminem has pointed out himself, movies spark a lot less controversy (not to say they don't get any) but have some really bad stuff in them.

Having said all that, when are we going after Sir Tom Jones for what he did to Delilah?
Celebrities can definitely get cancelled, no matter their profile. Musicians, particularly those that started as underground musicians can't. Em makes his own music, released on his own label and has no one above him. At that point, negative media attention is just media attention. He's not an artist that needs talk show appearances, jobs offers etc etc. Actors on the other hand. . .

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Celebrities can definitely get cancelled, no matter their profile. Musicians, particularly those that started as underground musicians can't. Em makes his own music, released on his own label and has no one above him. At that point, negative media attention is just media attention. He's not an artist that needs talk show appearances, jobs offers etc etc. Actors on the other hand. . .
I dunno, for a start Mel Gibson is still around.