Television Cancelling shows after one season

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Has to be one of the most annoying things recently.

This pertains to streaming services in particular which seem to commission dozens of shows for one season only to cancel them regardless of quality.

In my opinion, a show's success boils down to its exposure. People will watch if its heavily promoted.

It's a vicious cycle now as I've decided to stop watching shows that don't have a second season announced. If other people do the same then it will make it harder for these shows to be recommissioned.

What's more, those who watch the show are left in the lurch once they get invested in the show, only to have it cancelled right away.

It seems some services like apple TV are commissioning more shows for at least 2 seasons.

Oldyella

Netflix feel like prime offenders for this. Very hard to commit to shows when it's uncertain you will see how they end.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Netflix feel like prime offenders for this. Very hard to commit to shows when it's uncertain you will see how they end.
Agreed, they have a one chance policy. It seems like they'll throw a load of shit at the wall and see if it sticks.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Apple, HBO, and Amazon tend to be decent, they'll often renew shows before they even air or after one episode if the reception has been strong enough.

Netflix are awful though. Even shows they do renew, they won't release the second season for two or three years, with a much smaller budget so that it just sort of dies off. Like what happened with Altered Carbon. They generally get far high viewership off of "new" shows than shows with multiple seasons (apart from rare cases like Stranger Things, Orange is the new Black) so it's simply more profitable for them to keep churning that shit out instead of multiple seasons.

Sweet Square

Read a tweet thread a while back from someone who works on production design and claims the reason is workers rights. Basically after a certain number of episodes, workers are guaranteed a number of things and I think a bigger wage, so it saves on labour costs to cancel a show after one season and then reset with a new show.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Read a tweet thread a while back from someone who works on production design and claims the reason is workers rights. Basically after a certain number of episodes, workers are guaranteed a number of things and I think a bigger wage, so it saves on labour costs to cancel a show after one season and then reset with a new show.
In that case they should just make limited series. Don't commit to a project that requires 4-5 season to finish the story

Sylar

Part of the reason why some of the netflix shows and US network shows I wait until a season or two are out (unless its an obvious hit straight away).
Something like Quantum Leap I want to see what happens as its one you would think may get cancelled.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It was two seasons but i was gutted when they cut Marco Polo from Netflix.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've never watched a show that ended up being cancelled. Probably because I have phenomenal taste.

Zen

Have their been any great shows actually cancelled? Any time I look this up.... it's same shows mentioned that were mentioned like 15 years ago.

Terriers was the last fine example.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I cant think of many... Maybe Nurse Ratched. I enjoyed that and seems like there will not be a 2nd season

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Carnivale, that show was terrific and got binned

Did Deadwood get canclled too?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I've never watched a show that ended up being cancelled. Probably because I have phenomenal taste.
Shows that are good but get cancelled usually fall in 6.5-7.8 range on imdb. They're good enough to enjoy but don't amaze and don't have the audience numbers.

These shows could become great if allowed another season or two but we'll never know.

It isn't really possible to produce 8+/10 shows on a regular basis and I'm not going outside and doing something else!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Shows that are good but get cancelled usually fall in 6.5-7.8 range on imdb. They're good enough to enjoy but don't amaze and don't have the audience numbers.

These shows could become great if allowed another season or two but we'll never know.

It isn't really possible to produce 8+/10 shows on a regular basis and I'm not going outside and doing something else!
Beneath me.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
One criticism of netflix is precisely this. The OA i thought was really good and that was binned. Youd swear netflix expects a squid game out of every series.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think it speaks a lot about the quality of netflix that I can't think of a single show that I watched a season of, got cancelled, and was annoyed about.

Maybe Altered Carbon? But that was two seasons and they butchered the second. And GLOW was good, but that got three seasons before it was axed.

Although there have been so many average shows on Netflix that i've probably forgotten most of 'em.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
What do you mean 'recently'. Back in my day you were lucky to not get cancelled after 4 episodes.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Most of the shit they cancel can be considered lucky to get made in the first place, the number of actually good shows that get cancelled is very very small.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It was so bad :lol: had such high hopes for it too.

Firefly is the only one that genuinely did not deserve to get cancelled after one season.
I don't even care, I just want to know what happens next!

The concept was pretty good, but some of the storyline was just weird. :lol:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What they did to Freaks and Geeks was a travesty. That show was so great. :(

Sylar

Flashforward is the only one that springs to mind that I was gutted about.
Really enjoyed the premise but think they butchered the execution. I didn't like the lead guy :lol:

I was annoyed Jericho got cancelled.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
One criticism of netflix is precisely this. The OA i thought was really good and that was binned. Youd swear netflix expects a squid game out of every series.
Squid was good because it never aims to prolong and hoping to get renewed.

They have 1 season and they did their job.

Most producers always ends their season in cliffhangers hoping to get renewed and ended up pissing the whole series

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Really enjoyed the premise but think they butchered the execution. I didn't like the lead guy :lol:

I was annoyed Jericho got cancelled.
Yes! Jericho was brilliant, I ended up buying the comics which continued the storyline after it was cancelled. That lasted a couple of seasons though.

phelans shorts

Most producers always ends their season in cliffhangers hoping to get renewed and ended up pissing the whole series
Now they’re making a second season that after the ending of the first I don’t understand how anyone could want to watch

Sylar

Yes! Jericho was brilliant, I ended up buying the comics which continued the storyline after it was cancelled. That lasted a couple of seasons though.
I got to check that out. Did it get a proper ending ?
Would be annoying getting the comics and then it basically also being cancelled :lol:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I got to check that out. Did it get a proper ending ?
Would be annoying getting the comics and then it basically also being cancelled :lol:
:lol: I got the Civil War comics, which served as season 3. They released another batch in 2012 that was 'season 4' but I'd lost interest by then, so I'm not sure if it got a proper ending or not.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

I agree. But the point i am trying to make is that netflix seems to be setting the bar very high for all these series in order to get renewed. its like they expect them to take off across the world, just like squid game did.

On another note i dont think the second season of squid game will be as good.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'm worried 1899 will get cancelled
Easy, don't watch it until it's all out. I think Sex Education is one of few that I started watching that wasn't finished already. Just wait with watching show until they are few season out, or they are rated good enough that you are sure they won't be cancelled.