Cantona: Beach Soccer Equals Football

soulblight3r

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=349181&cc=4716

Former Manchester United hero Eric Cantona was at his philosophical best at the Soccerex football trade show in Dubai as his pontificated about the qualities of beach soccer.

The Frenchman's most remembered quote came in response to the 120-hour community sentence and nine-month ban for his infamous kung fu kick on a Crystal Palace fan in the crowd at Selhurst Park.

On that occasion his only comment on the matter was: 'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.'

Cantona retired from football in 1997 but is currently involved in five-a-side beach soccer as player-coach of France.

However, he has lost none of his ability to produce a headline-grabbing soundbite.

Having won the beach soccer world championship in Rio de Janeiro earlier this year Cantona was asked how the two versions of the sport compared.

'Emotionally for me winning at beach soccer was just the same as winning for Manchester United,' he said.

'When we won I cried, it meant so much to me. I was very proud.

'Of course it is not as big as football but when you are a rich man you are proud to own a Rolls Royce and when you are a poor man you are proud to own a Renault. 'I love being at the start of something and watching it grow.'

Despite being told by an attentive minder he did not have to get involved in any controversial issues or address matters other than beach soccer, the ever-unpredictable Frenchman was having none of it and was applauded by the entire auditorium when he agreed to answer a question from the floor on whether he had encountered any disciplinary problems in beach soccer.

'You should know that I am not a sheep. Sometimes I do good things and sometimes not so good,' he said.

'But if you want to know, yes I have been sent off in beach soccer but I have also scored beautiful goals.'

very Ruud

Spam, Spam, Spam....
Cantona tops global poll of Premiership fans
Agence France Presse
November 15, 2005

Eric Cantona has been voted the greatest player in the history of the English Premier League in a global survey of football fans.

The inaugural Premiership Global Fans Report, commissioned on behalf of league sponsors Barclays, one of Britain's leading banks, analysed the opinions of more than 26,000 fans from 170 different countries.

France international Cantona, who starred in England for Leeds and Manchester United, received 17 percent of the vote.

However, fans in Singapore (34 percent) and Thailand (29 percent) preferred former Denmark goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel, a team-mate of Cantona's at United.

The survey also asked fans for details of their ideal Premiership match with 22 percent of respondents saying it should be played at United's Old Trafford ground.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho topped the poll for 'favourite Premiership manager' with 28 percent.

Meanwhile the survey revealed that Brazil striker Ronaldinho, currently at Spanish giants Barcelona, was the footballer fans would most like to see join the Premiership.

Arsenal and France forward Thierry Henry was voted favourite current player with 17 percent of the poll.

Meanwhile nearly half of the respondents from Brazil (46 percent), whose 'samba' style of football is admired the world over, revealed thy followed the Premiership because of the way the game was played.

Old Trafford was voted the greatest football stadium in the world but fans in France, Germany, China and Hong Kong put Liverpool's Anfield ground in first place.

According to the survey, United had the biggest overall global fan base (25 percent ) but Arsenal and Chelsea have a bigger following in Kenya, Nigeria, Italy and Portugal.

"Over 500 million people across the globe regularly tune in to watch Premiership games," said Barclays managing director Jim Hytner.

"It's clear that the world class footballers, style of play and the history of our clubs is what makes the league so appealing. As a Man Utd fan, I'm also really chuffed Cantona has been voted the favourite player of all time."

The Premier League replaced the old First Division as English football's top division from the 1992-93 season following a breakaway led by leading clubs unhappy with the structure of the Football League which up until then controlled all four divisions of the professional domestic game.

Ooh Aah...