Captain Material

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
Which players would make a good captain in this United Team, if Harry is only getting into that team because he is the captain and with his form would not get into the Hull team who could replace our Captian Quite.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Nah, Ronaldo's far too much of an individual player to be captain. Fernandes would be my choice. Varane if he'd been at the club for longer, Matic if he was guaranteed (and able) to play every week, maybe Marcus?
I can understand Fernandes over Ronaldo but Varane, Matic and Marcus? In what sense is Ronaldo an individual player because he definitely plays for the team and isn't just thinking for himself

Red_toad

Harry is the captain and will continue as so. Fans getting their knickers in a twist about a position Valencia and Young held previously. Anyone can call heads or tails in kick off coin toss, who gives a shite. We have no obvious candidate and no Keane type character in the squad, until then I don’t care who is or isn’t, as none of them are true leaders.

Kostov

Which players would make a good captain in this United Team, if Harry is only getting into that team because he is the captain and with his form would not get into the Hull team who could replace our Captian Quite.
He is only getting in the team because our other options are either injured, or called Bailly, Jones and Lindelof. Now Maguire manages to sink even deeper with every game played, and needs a spell on the bench even if that means Jones playing.

Captaincy should probably go to Bruno since I think Ronaldo will leave at the end of the season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not sure it's right to captain a player that could potentially leave the club for his own good if the team didn't get in to the CL after Ole's tenure until late November this year.

Bruno Fernandes for me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
fecking hell I agree with Scorsese.

Lyng

Harry is the captain and will continue as so. Fans getting their knickers in a twist about a position Valencia and Young held previously. Anyone can call heads or tails in kick off coin toss, who gives a shite. We have no obvious candidate and no Keane type character in the squad, until then I don’t care who is or isn’t, as none of them are true leaders.
Yeah sure. THats all a captain does. Why change manager ey? Anyone can stand at the line and yell and point.

GueRed

Let's be honest from the outside only Maguire and Bruno look proper captain material. And i'm pushing it with Bruno mainly because he's got a big gob.

Look at the other 'candidates'.

Ronaldo - Relatively quiet and an Individualist.

Pogba - Flakey. Still cant believe a lot of fans not long ago were advocating him to be captain :houllier:

Matic - Finished, barely plays.

De Gea - A mute.

God i miss that 1994 Double winners team. Nearly every player was captain material.

JeffFromHK

Maguire is not a captain material either. He looks like the guy who is not that bright and got bullied in the class back in the days.

Born2Lose

I think it would be a heavy burden on Bruno, he's far too emotional at times for his own good and adding the captaincy on top of that won't help him I suspect.

I'd have to go for Ronaldo currently.

Siezard

He is only getting in the team because our other options are either injured, or called Bailly, Jones and Lindelof. Now Maguire manages to sink even deeper with every game played, and needs a spell on the bench even if that means Jones playing.

Captaincy should probably go to Bruno since I think Ronaldo will leave at the end of the season.
Jones should be playing. Everyone knows how good he is bar a few high profile mistakes.

Someone

Something
Ronaldo makes sense as he's someone the players will look up to and he won't be here for long, so we can see who can step up.

Don't feel that Bruno would make a good captain. He looks always frustrated rather than vocal.

Varane looks like a mature level headed guy, but he hasn't been here for long.

Maguire is definitely a terrible captain. It'd be incredibly disappointing if the new manager gives him the armband.

foolsgold

I'd give it to Rashford. Came through the youth system, playing more and has the respect of the team and fans

youmeletsfly

Ronaldo or Varane should be captains.

To me Bruno has no business being captain, even if he has the mentality. You can't be a captain when, even after your mistakes, you complain and point to other players on the field.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ronnie, Cavani and Matic aren't fazed by the armband. Captain 1, 2 and 3 right there.

Move Bruno and Varane (once he's been here longer) up when the old men retire.

Deery

Dreary
Sad truth is we don’t have one I’d not give it to Bruno to much whining and theatrics to be a captain, Ronaldo maybe he’s the captain of Portugal and has a winner’s mentality but isn’t long here, so I think I’d just give it to DeGea as he’s long serving and will always be on the pitch, should have a level of respect about the place.

The Siege

We should give the armband to a youth team player on the bench so we reduce its importance to oblivion. The team already has a leader in the manager, teach the squad to be accountable at a personal level instead.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Really tough one. Frustrating and tough times at Sporting and United have brought the worst out of Bruno. Cointossgate in the Europa League final reflects poorly too. Would he show more maturity and less petulance with the armband permanently? I don’t think so.

I don’t really like the idea of Ronaldo and Varane who have just rocked up, and could well decide to feck off if things continue like this.

DDG shows virtually no leadership and actively needs moving on.

I still think Ole dropped the ball on Pogba by not making him one of his captains in his first year, as I believe he would respond grow into the accountability for the team’s performances that captaincy would bestow. It’s obviously a bit late and not the time for that now, but snubbing him for Maguire and Bruno I didn’t feel was a smart move.

Yeah, I really do not know.

Oranges038

Sad state of affairs when out of a whole group of players you really struggle to pick one who has the qualities to be a good captain.

If I had to pick one it would be Ronaldo, simply because he is the most experienced player who sets the highest standards for himself, then as captain he should expect others to meet his standards on the pitch, in training and off the pitch.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sad state of affairs when out of a whole group of players you really struggle to pick one who has the qualities to be a good captain.

If I had to pick one it would be Ronaldo, simply because he is the most experienced player who sets the highest standards for himself, then as captain he should expect others to meet his standards on the pitch, in training and off the pitch.
I find this odd, I think we have a lot of players who can be captain quality - there are 3 varying characters but all who can be captain in their own right among our first XI. I'd give it to Bruno, mind. I reckon Poch will warm to Bruno most too if he comes.

Imagine Ten Hag coming in, giving VDB a captaincy :lol: I couldn't think of a better timed Captain Phillips meme

Oranges038

I find this odd, I think we have a lot of players who can be captain quality - there are 3 varying characters but all who can be captain in their own right among our first XI. I'd give it to Bruno, mind. I reckon Poch will warm to Bruno most too if he comes.

Imagine Ten Hag coming in, giving VDB a captaincy :lol: I couldn't think of a better timed Captain Phillips meme
Maybe Bruno, but I'd have my doubts about him, he already tries to do too much. Maybe he might flourish with the added responsibility.

One thing is for sure, it is a group of players devoid of personalities.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maybe Bruno, but I'd have my doubts about him, he already tries to do too much. Maybe he might flourish with the added responsibility.

One thing is for sure, it is a group of players devoid of personalities.
Again I disagree on this. A shit manager will make the squad look like this but the players are full of personnel who arent' afraid to take ownership. Ronaldo, Bruno, Varane, Rashford are obvious examples. I think Poch will get Maguire playing to a level he's capable at with his potential and that can give him confidence to be more vocal again, same for Shaw. No one can have a team full of captains but we have enough big characters in our XI.