Captain to the rescue

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Who wears the armband matters more to the fans than it does to the players. Leaders are going to lead whether they wear the armband or not. Besides, if Maguire wasn't wearing the armband then who would you scapegoat?
Maguire is old news. De Gea will be this season's scapegoat for sure

mikeyt

If Maguire is dropped on Monday it will be given to De Gea or Bruno for the night. Neither deserve it but I tend to find longevity gets the armband rather than leaders these days. We lack leaders but despite his injury record for now I'd give it to Varane and build our defence around him. Longer term Cassy could be the man

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire is old news. De Gea will be this season's scapegoat for sure
Scapegoat means a player is getting blamed for things that aren't his fault. Any criticism De Gea gets is fully deserved. Fantastic shot stopper. Average to poor at every other aspect of being a keeper...

Chief123

Scapegoat means a player is getting blamed for things that aren't his fault. Any criticism De Gea gets is fully deserved. Fantastic shot stopper. Average to poor at every other aspect of being a keeper...
In that case Maguire isn’t being scapegoated either because he’s been terrible for a long time. You won’t accept that. Because you’ve been playing football for 40 years, we’re not your level right?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Everyone who has ever managed a team or any kind of performance group knows that you do not give main responsibility to the very new guy.
Agreed. It’s not going to help the situation, it’ll just breed more potential negativity from existing players. Not to mention put way too much media pressure on him unnecessarily. Let it happen naturally before formalising it.

Newtonius

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Who wears the armband matters more to the fans than it does to the players. Leaders are going to lead whether they wear the armband or not. Besides, if Maguire wasn't wearing the armband then who would you scapegoat?
Just not true though is it it, we know it was a source of contention last season and it was a source of contention last week as well if rumours are to be believed.

Hell one can expect its just as big a deal for the players as it is for fans just because of the ego involved they are only human, particularly in a dressing room with legends of the game like Ronaldo who has to look around and see Maguire, whos biggest accomplishment is getting relegated and finishing runner up with England in a tournament they should have won.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Just not true though is it it, we know it was a source of contention last season and it was a source of contention last week as well if rumours are to be believed.

Hell one can expect its just as big a deal for the players as it is for fans just because of the ego involved they are only human, particularly in a dressing room with legends of the game like Ronaldo who has to look around and see Maguire, whos biggest accomplishment is getting relegated and finishing runner up with England in a tournament they should have won.
Goldbridge? Is that you?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At this point Maguire should remain captain, there is no point changing it. What you can do though is give other players the room to act as leaders, you can have a 2 or 3 vice captains and if they are leaders they will be followed and listened.

Trequarista10

A year ago, maybe even 6 months, general consensus was Bruno should be captain. Others said Ronaldo. Neither seem suitable at the moment, Bruno is in dreadful form, Ronaldo has been pushing to move. Things can change quickly.

I don't think the captaincy actually makes all that big a difference. The bigger problem is the lack of suitable candidates. If you have a number of leaders in the squad, then who is wearing the armband doesn't really matter as much as people think. The primary responsibility is trivial stuff like media interviews, sorting out tickets for family members, keeping tabs on fines or whatever. I don't think it makes a big difference on game day, and it doesn't/shouldn't play a part in team selection.

Boondog

Depends on the character of the player. It won't mean as much to a shit player to wear it than it would a player who is a leader. You can bet your ass that it means something to a leader.

GueRed

I miss the days when we had a team full of captains like that great 93/94 team.

Schmeichel, Bruce, Robson, Ince and Cantona, Keane.
Irwin, Pallister and Hughes were leaders in their own right too.

The reality today in the current squad only Maguire and Bruno are captain material imo. Maguire is the chosen captain. To all the anti-Maguire brigade crying because managers appointed and
kept him as captain what does that say about the other 'characters' in the squad then?

Apparently Casemiro has leadership qualities and is a warrior in midfield. I think he'd be up there as a candidate for vice captain/captain when the armband gets passed around when Maguire doesnt play. And will hopefully add more steel and determination as well as quality to the team.

It's still not enough though Imo...We need more leaders.

I agree with Roy Keane when he said there just arent enough characters running through that squad.

Ema_datsi

Harry as captain will go down as one of the worst in not only United’s history but the Premier league’s. In a coupe of years he’ll be in one of those “worst ever …” lists. He’s already a meme FFS, and yet these cheap ass Glazers and the fools they employ deem it necessary to persist with a certified 80 mil flop whose presence on the pitch infuriates most of the club’s customers. Smart business men! Bravo!

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

Fcuk captaincy!!!

What we need is leaders on the pitch and and an armband doesn't make you a leader.

Casemiro, Licha, Varane Eriksen, and Fernandes are leaders on the pitch and I couldn't care less who wears the armband, McTominay can wear it for all I care.

tomaldinho1

Fcuk captaincy!!!

What we need is leaders on the pitch and and an armband doesn't make you a leader.

Casemiro, Licha, Varane Eriksen, and Fernandes are leaders on the pitch and I couldn't care less who wears the armband, McTominay can wear it for all I care.
Kind of means he has to start though…

Boondog

Hell of a player. We have some great moments ahead with him patrolling our midfield.

Captaincy is inevitable. Nothing against Bruno, who is world class himself and a team leader whether or not he has the band, but Case has experience in spades. Just a matter of time.

galwayfa

Captains duty is over rated, don’t care what Keane says, be a captain off the pitch is more important, if your on, that’s good too, if your not playing manager obviously thinks they are other leaders on team

cyril C

Captain or not, an experienced player should be capable of organising defence, yelling at sleep-walking players (OK, may be only junior players), and step up his effort when the whole team is drowning.

But Captain has certain privilege that average players don't have, such as private box at OT / Wembley to rent out, extra cash for your mate. Captain can go out your your players house (including ex-WAG) fixing pumping problem.

Demon Barber

Just make it happen! :drool:
So, Casemiro plays well and scores a brilliant goal. Bruno plays well and scores two. Admittedly your post was before Portugal had played, but still ...

Bruno deserves the armband in my opinion

Chief123

So, Casemiro plays well and scores a brilliant goal. Bruno plays well and scores two. Admittedly your post was before Portugal had played, but still ...

Bruno deserves the armband in my opinion
Tbh I wouldn’t complain with either of them as captain. They are both leaders. But yes Bruno probably deserves it more just because of his tenure and constant dedication.

Foxbatt

When the captain speaks the players has to listen. Look at what Rashford did to Maguire? I didn't see Maguire respond or even outside the match. Rashford would have a broken nose if he did it to a Captain like Keane or Robson or even Bruce or Cantona. Most of you won't even know but Martin Buchan was a very good player and Captain too.