Captaincy…

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This is a not so good decision he's made, I suspect the club has forced this on him?
Who should he have made captain? Maybe he doesn't see his captain in the current squad at the moment, so why change from Maguire to someone else?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Either means that Martinez isn't joining, or Maguire will naturally lose his captaincy simply by lack of playing time. Either way it's clear to me from last season that Maguire isn't captain material. Then again no one else is.
Yeah those are the only two possible reasons. How about maybe the captain (who has some obvious attributes that Martinez doesn't) will play alongside a new signing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maguire is the captain because according to ETH he had achieved a lot of success

devilish

Either means that Martinez isn't joining, or Maguire will naturally lose his captaincy simply by lack of playing time. Either way it's clear to me from last season that Maguire isn't captain material. Then again no one else is.
maybe Varane will lose his first team place instead or Martinez will play in the DM role

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Who should he have made captain? Maybe he doesn't see his captain in the current squad at the moment, so why change from Maguire to someone else?
Maybe you're right but this to me seems like United pulling the political cards like they always do.

De Gea has a good shout for the captaincy, played a pivotal role in the last United team that won the league title, what has Maguire ever won?

saivet

With Ronaldo awol, I think this is a sensible choice rather than shaking things up. I'm not sure how he will approach it but I'd like to think that just because he's the club captain does not mean he will be an automatic starter.

daveskimufc

I don't like it, I believe it should've been moved to a genuine week in, week out starter.
But it's at least one thing that's been put to bed

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I wouldn't even have Maguire starting for us at the moment but to change the captain would cause nothing but further chaos that we don't need. If you have enough leaders on the pitch the choice of captain doesn't matter anyway.

Looking forward to big H lifting a few trophies next season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The more things change, the more they stay the same at United.

Robertd0803

With Ronaldo awol, I think this is a sensible choice rather than shaking things up. I'm not sure how he will approach it but I'd like to think that just because he's the club captain does not mean he will be an automatic starter.
Yeah seems to me to be the only option really. De Gea has never struck me as captain material and theres more to it than just being at a club the longest.

Without Ronaldo for whatever reason I couldnt see Maguire losing the captaincy in ETHs first season. Not the decision a lot of people wanted but its sensible enough considering theres enough issues to fix without creating another one.

devilish

Yeah seems to me to be the only option really. De Gea has never struck me as captain material and theres more to it than just being at a club the longest.

Without Ronaldo for whatever reason I couldnt see Maguire losing the captaincy in ETHs first season. Not the decision a lot of people wanted but its sensible enough considering theres enough issues to fix without creating another one.
we have a WC winner and 4 CL winner defender. However we'll stick to Maguire because he was quite successful as a captain.

A-man

Not a fan of Maguire as captain, but ETH got a straight question and what should he have said? He can impossibly have made up his mind about the captaincy yet. He’s met the senior players on a few trainings and in the airport lounge basically.

OL29

Because its all over socials, he is an absolute tool. He feeds fans negativity and narratives.
I don’t watch him personally but it is weird how obsessive some are about him. I’m sure most fans are perfectly capable of forming their own opinions on their own without encouragement from a YouTuber.

romufc

I don't like it, I believe it should've been moved to a genuine week in, week out starter.
But it's at least one thing that's been put to bed
I wasn't aware you were appointed manager?

Evidence since Maguire signed and for England suggests he is a genuine week and week out starter.

romufc

I don’t watch him personally but it is weird how obsessive some are about him. I’m sure most fans are perfectly capable of forming their own opinions on their own without encouragement from a YouTuber.
I don't watch his videos, I see clips posted on other socials such as twitter, tik tok, Instagram and now been on talk sport too. It is clear alot of his followers dont have that ability to make their own opinions.

sugar_kane

The captaincy is up there with shirt numbers in terms of irrelevant shit that has no bearing on our actual performances.

This isn't FPL, we don't get double points for our captaincy choice.

flameinthesun

It is the simplest and probably best decision to make:

1) Doubt there are calls from the players for maguire to be stripped so its not going to affect squad morale keeping him as captain
2) Keeps the pressure on him to perform this season, if he doesn't then he should be sold
3) Bruno had just as bad a season as Harry (maybe not as bad but a bad season) so should not be rewarded with the captaincy
4) Ronaldo...just no

There is no real pressure to strip him just yet, if he plays bad he will be dropped hopefully if we have martinez, varane etc. Sometimes the best decisions are the decisions not made, far more important things to sort out.

Zippycup

It would have been beyond stupid to change the captain at this time. Talk about wanting to kick a player when he's down.
One bad season in which it was impossible to pick out the worst player and people are having a meltdown when the manager wants to help rebuild a players confidence.

Imagine the media, both mainstream and social if he had been dropped as captain. It would have been mayhem and added yet more pressure to a team that is already distracted by the Ronaldo saga.
Anyway. The role of captain is overstated. If players on the pitch need motivation to run or to give 100% then the weak mentality we have in our squad is worse than any of us could imagine.

Keefy18

In the short term (a season or two) I'd of probably given it to DDG.

Maguire is the captain because according to ETH he had achieved a lot of success
Absolutely cringe statement.

Success and Harry or anything to do with our club is an odd statement.

Alfie092

Whether we like it or not, Maguire will be a regular starter for us. And with ETH saying he will remain as captain proves this or else he would have handed it to Bruno or DDG. I'm on the boat of giving the captaincy to someone else but that isn't my decision to make...

He will start regularly alongside Varane (if he remains fit!) and IF we sign Martinez I think he will play his as a number 6 and be the cover CB if needed and have a defensive injury crisis.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Maybe you're right but this to me seems like United pulling the political cards like they always do.

De Gea has a good shout for the captaincy, played a pivotal role in the last United team that won the league title, what has Maguire ever won?
I'll never understand why people think that the best player should be captain.
DDG is probably the least vocal player on the pitch, as much as i like DDG, he's not captain material.
Bruno is too whiny…. As others have siad, I don't think we have better alternatives.

I'm not really bothering with conspiracies, but if there's any truth in the rumours about Ronaldo not being happy with Maguire, this might say a lot about what plans ETH has for Ronaldo.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'd be far more confident DDG does than Harry!
A keeper that doesn't sweep, and doesn't have great distribution, doesn't command his box, who is going into the final year of his contract.... sure

GueRed

The latest on this is gonna hurt the anti-Maguire brigade.

Gary Neville is already having to fend off the melts on twitter :lol:

Keefy18

A keeper that doesn't sweep, and doesn't have great distribution, doesn't command his box, who is going into the final year of his contract.... sure
Trust me I get that, but I don't think ETH see's it as pressing at the moment.
Were looking for a backup keeper on a freebie but willing to lump money on a new CB.

Either way, Harry and success... he's already being torn a new one across social media.

MalaysianRed7

Decision’s made now, so I’ll just back my manager without agreeing with the decision at all. Hope Maguire improves big time, we’re going to need him to.

Leftback99

Anyone that watches him for his football opinions probably aren't. He has over a million subscribers - easy to see why his opinions get repeated everywhere.

IRN-BRUno

Fair enough decision, there's basically nobody else that deserves it which is why Maguire got the captaincy in the first place. It shouldn't be a big deal really, it's probably more of a role for stuff outside of matches. On the pitch you should have several leaders, that's not the case because of a failure of the club and previous managements. Hopefully something Ten Hag will address in his recruitment.

OL29

Anyone that watches him for his football opinions probably aren't. He has over a million subscribers - easy to see why his opinions get repeated everywhere.
I think that’s unfair to be honest, and completely dismissive to people that offer opposing opinions. There’s a poster in the Maguire thread who obsessively accuses everyone who doesn’t rate him as a ‘Goldbridge muppet’, it just seems strange to reduce reasonable debate to that sort of nonsense, when in reality, we have a massive fan base so it’s hardly surprising that we see a lot of fans with similar views.

Leftback99

I think that’s unfair to be honest, and completely dismissive to people that offer opposing opinions. There’s a poster in the Maguire thread who obsessively accuses everyone who doesn’t rate him as a ‘Goldbridge muppet’, it just seems strange to reduce reasonable debate to that sort of nonsense, when in reality, we have a massive fan base so it’s hardly surprising that we see a lot of fans with similar views.
I think you underestimate how influencial the media is in the average fan's opinions. He probably has a point. I literally had a poster respond to me last season with something along the the lines of "like Goldbridge said... "