Captaincy…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If not Harold, then who?

I can’t see any senior players that will not have question marks over them next season, none of them are guaranteed regulars. I also doubt we’d sign someone and make them captain immediately.

I don’t see De Gea as a captain, although he’d be an easy choice, but there has also been a lot of conversation about his own standing next season. Only option I can see is Luke Shaw perhaps, who has been terrible this season, although was one of the best full backs in the world last season and will probably be first choice every week next hear if he can find some form. Either him on Bruno, who I personally don’t want to see as a regular next season, although he probably will be.

Slim pickings ultimately if you want to avoid passing the armband round from week to week.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Christer Ronaldo as a one-off next season until he leaves. After that, (hopefully) one of the new signings from this summer shows some leadership qualities.

I don’t ever want to live in a world where David De Gea is our permanent captain. Or Fernandes. Christ

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Ronaldo stays on itl be him.

Otherwise maybe Bruno if he starts and picks up form again under the new manager.

Or Maguire. There's no one else really.

hobbers

Ronaldo or De Gea.

Not Bruno, he doesn't have the stones for it. Though obviously I would still give him the captaincy over Maguire.

Nero

Maguire will start and will be captain, whether we like it or not.

RonaldoVII

Has to be Ronaldo. Doesn't matter if he doesn't start every game; we've had captains in the past in similar situations (Neville, Young etc). We just need leaders and a structure of captain / vice captain etc.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Ronaldo is the only other option but ideally he won't even be starting many games for us.

Bruno isn't captain material. Constantly giving the ball away and playacting over soft tackles isn't inspiring to anyone.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
If Ronaldo stays next season, it should be him. That's the be all and end all of that list, if he's gone then it should go to DDG until someone with character comes to the fore.

Oldyella

Ronaldo for a year. You mentioned Shaw and he does say the right stuff in interviews, but that would be a massive risk given how flakey his form has been this year. Bruno, no chance.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The one who is first to go to the ref defend decisions even though the decision is obviously against us

The one who shows effort

The one who has passion in each celebration

The one who is a role model for the youth team and bonds really well with youngsters

The one who is a role model and the most dedicated to the sport

The one who has grown maturely with age

The one who isn't afraid to communicate his thoughts on or off the pitch

The one who gets stuck in against rivals (see last Liverpool game)

Ronaldo.

Slysi17

If Ronaldo stays on itl be him.

Otherwise maybe Bruno if he starts and picks up form again under the new manager.

Or Maguire. There's no one else really.
Harry Maguire shouldn't be captain. You know he is our current captain and we have been awful.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wager it'll be left with Maguire initially, only for him to be phased out of the role and passed on "in essence" to another player while Maguire mostly sits on the bench. I suspect it'll be a new signing after a year or two, as precious few of our players have shown leadership qualities. Shaw may have been a decent choice but there's still question marks as to whether he's one of the leakers and, as has been previously mentioned, he's been largely dreadful this year.

captaincantona

It says a lot that we have a bloated squad and not one player jumps out as captain material except a waning 37 year old that most likely won’t be a permanent fixture under the new gaffer.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I've always found it difficult to fathom any real interest over who is the captain. Really good sides should and do have multiple players capable of leading on the pitch, and coaches are dictating the rhythm of a performance strategically. If it wasn't such a long held tradition I doubt most sides would even bother appointing one for any in game purposes.

Off the pitch is where you would expect to see an individual performing leadership duties. Organising the squad and being a mentor for younger players, and probably the spokesman for the squad with the management team. The right person for those responsibilities is usually obvious amongst a group. For all we know Harry is the natural leader within the squad.

Lyng

Ronaldo. He has that winning drive and mentality and has proven he is among the best ever. Needs to be him if he stays.

Oranges038

Someone who is a natural leader on the pitch, vocal, commanding, sets standards for everyone else and has the respect of his team mates.

Really you need at least 3 or 4 players like that in the team, there's not a player at the club right now who can claim to be any or all of them.

OmarUnited4ever

Captiancy is just an armband with some responsibilities attached to it.

We still lack real leaders on the pitch, so yeah whether Maguire remains as Captain or not is of no meaning really.

lsd

The Oracle
Varane for me he is a winner and we should be building the defence around him

mikeyt

Varane, a winner and probably the only defender we have that isn't potentially going to leave in the next 18 months. I wouldn't be against Ronnie having it for a year if he stays on though

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Captaincy is overrated in terms of leadership, because leaders will be leaders regardless of whether they wear the armband or not. It's not going to effect anything in that sense.

Really it's more of a perception thing. If you're the United captain you tend to attract more external scrutiny and criticism. Harry Maguire would be getting criticism anyway because he's been shit but the fact that he's captain adds another layer to that, as shown by the repeated calls for him to lose the captaincy.

So I'd just give it to whichever senior player we think will play a lot and can handle that extra bit of scrutiny. Which (depending on ETH's plans in terms of how much they'll feature) would likely be one of De Gea, Ronaldo or Bruno I guess.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not many options other than Ronaldo.

SirAF

Ageist
Christer Ronaldo as a one-off next season until he leaves. After that, (hopefully) one of the new signings from this summer shows some leadership qualities.

I don’t ever want to live in a world where David De Gea is our permanent captain. Or Fernandes. Christ
This. The most important thing, though, is that Maguire simply CANNOT remain captain.

cfkane

The captain next season will be whoever ETH wants it to be, and that is how it should be.

flameinthesun

It should not be Ronaldo or Bruno. The sensible move would be to give it to De Gea and see who emerges next season as a leader. There will be a whole new squad of players and hopefully someone will stand out as a leader and we can give it to them the following season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
For all the complaining over Maguire being captain, the alternatives are weak.

It's important that any new players we bring in have some kind of character about them. The mentality of this squad is pathetic.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
DDG is usually the one doing the interviews when you lose. He has my respect for that. I don’t see Ron or Harry doing the hard interviews.

Red_toad

Varane for me he is a winner and we should be building the defence around him
He's not a leader, nor is he reliable injuries wise.
We're a shit show as we have no genuine leaders on the pitch, apart from our old striker. To be honest we need a midfielder who leaves it all on the pitch to wearing the armband. So that'd be a new signing, as I just don't see Fred in that role.