Captaincy…

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You could easily do it in two rounds. Ask every player to write in their preference, Then take the top 3 or 4 and put it to majority vote. However, simple democracy might be too hard for some of our players to wrap their heads around.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If ETH thinks Ronaldo will be playing important role and most of the league games then it should be Ronaldo. He will leave in a year and then ETH will have time to decide (if he thinks it's important).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Under Fergie, we would have had a huge debate as there were so many good options. Now, it is either DDG or Ronaldo, and even these are questionable.
First-season Bruno would have been an option but no more. I'd think about appointing someone we bring in if they'd captained their club. DDG is a non starter for me - he doesn't even call enough to dominate his own area (or six yard box by the look of things). Has Varane ever done the job? (Is he going to be a regular)?

I'm not sure about Ronaldo. I know he's captained Portugal but not sure that's always gone smoothly. Another reason to bring in Harry Kane :lol::nervous:

crossy1686

career ending
Under Fergie, we would have had a huge debate as there were so many good options. Now, it is either DDG or Ronaldo, and even these are questionable.
De Gea saves his talking for the post match and Ronaldo is all about Ronaldo, he doesn't want to be doing all the off field stuff that captains are expected to do. I don't know if it's the same now but Keane said he was responsible for making sure certain directors got tickets and would have to meet them before and after games etc, all part of his responsibilities. I can't see Ronaldo signing up for any of that stuff.

Could be worth trying Rashford? Might pull his head out of his arse if he has more of a say? Can't really go around sulking if you're the captain, otherwise you're gone.

LoneStar

Ronaldo is the best choice imo. Not that we have a lot of choices anyway. The only guy who is a serial winner, has been the with the club at its best and is the senior most player. Also hope that gives him a bit more responsibility to push teammates and not moan when things don’t go well.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
De Gea saves his talking for the post match and Ronaldo is all about Ronaldo, he doesn't want to be doing all the off field stuff that captains are expected to do. I don't know if it's the same now but Keane said he was responsible for making sure certain directors got tickets and would have to meet them before and after games etc, all part of his responsibilities. I can't see Ronaldo signing up for any of that stuff.

Could be worth trying Rashford? Might pull his head out of his arse if he has more of a say? Can't really go around sulking if you're the captain, otherwise you're gone.
Why take a player who's not a starter? Rashford has so many issues, being the captain would not help and neither does he deserve it

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The options are really weak (which is why we ended up with Maguire in the first place). It should probably go to a player vote which would at least give them one less thing to moan about.

Tap

So now underperformance and a lousy attitude is rewarded with a captain’s armband. Might as well offer it to Martial too. Can’t go around sulking if he’s the captain.

Green_Red

If ETH thinks Ronaldo will be playing important role and most of the league games then it should be Ronaldo. He will leave in a year and then ETH will have time to decide (if he thinks it's important).
I think he'll re-sign at the end of next season. I don't think there's anywhere else in the world where he gets the kind of adoration from supporters he gets here, not even Real fans love him as much as our lot. He'll retire here imo.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he'll re-sign at the end of next season. I don't think there's anywhere else in the world where he gets the kind of adoration from supporters he gets here, not even Real fans love him as much as our lot. He'll retire here imo.
If everything goes well this season he might extend.

Green_Red

If everything goes well this season he might extend.
Hopefully, he is a legend and we need players with his know how around the club. He scores goals for fun too. If he was that concerned about where we finish in the league or how well the season goes he'd be off not in fairness.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
New manager. Best time to choose your own captain. Maguire had his chances. So did Bruno. But Ronaldo is the natural choice I think. ETH will have one full season to appoint the next captain. It may also be one of the new signings

Man-United

Ronaldo is the best choice, then let any of the candidates who joines in the summer be ready in 2023 or when CR leaves. Not giving it to a player who had been here for 5 months like Maguire.

djembatheking

It is telling that when you go through the squad no one really stands out as captain material. In years gone by we would have had several at any one time to choose from.

Flying_Heckfish

Ronaldo next season. He has the best experience, the right standards, can be a role model for others.

As others have said, he will then leave which gives ETH a season to work out who the long term captain should be. At this stage I am certain he will be looking at bringing someone in with that in mind, as there aren't any other standouts at this time within the squad.

Kag

I expect that Ronaldo will be made club captain; it removes the pressure away from Maguire and makes him easier to replace if and when Ten Hag decides to do that. Ronaldo would be a pretty non-controversial choice given his status at the club. It would also mean that the likes of Bruno and Varane take on the armband when he is inevitably rested or out of the team. This will give Ten Hag a year to identify a longer term captain in the likely event Ronaldo leaves at the end of next season.

It won’t be De Gea. Ten Hag isn’t going to give the captaincy to somebody he’ll look to replace in the next twelve months. Some folks might not like that, but it’s what I expect will happen.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You could easily do it in two rounds. Ask every player to write in their preference, Then take the top 3 or 4 and put it to majority vote. However, simple democracy might be too hard for some of our players to wrap their heads around.
Every player would vote for themselves :lol:

phelans shorts

I expect that Ronaldo will be made club captain; it removes the pressure away from Maguire and makes him easier to replace if and when Ten Hag decides to do that. Ronaldo would be a pretty non-controversial choice given his status at the club. It would also mean that the likes of Bruno and Varane take on the armband when he is inevitably rested or out of the team. This will give Ten Hag a year to identify a longer term captain in the likely event Ronaldo leaves at the end of next season.

It won’t be De Gea. Ten Hag isn’t going to give the captaincy to somebody he’ll look to replace in the next twelve months. Some folks might not like that, but it’s what I expect will happen.
So captaincy shouldn’t go to a player who might leave in a years time and instead should go to a player who’s likely to retire in a years time

Withnail

I said the same myself in another thread. It makes the most sense and no one would really complain. He can then choose someone long-term the following season.

Revaulx

George Graham played for and captained United?
How have I never known this?
He was Docherty’s first or second signing. Had played for him at Chelsea several years earlier. The Doc was sacked by Chelsea for falling out with several players, one of whom was GG, but all had been forgiven by the end of ‘72.

He was an ever-present for the rest of that season, in which we clogged our way to survival. When Charlton retired at the season’s end, Graham was made captain. He was again a regular for much of 73/74 but got dropped in favour of Gerry Daly, at which point our football and results suddenly improved. I think he was sold very early the following season; he certainly wasn’t a regular after we’d been relegated.

He was forgotten about very quickly, probably because he’d been brought in at a time of crisis, did nothing to halt our decline and things started to improve the moment he got dropped and subsequently left. So you really don’t need to feel in the least bit guilty about not knowing :)

Revaulx

Unless Maguire is a really despised or divisive figure in the dressing room, or ETH really has plans to drop him from the starting lineup, both of which I doubt, why not leave it with Maguire? I don’t see the point of taking it off him just because he’s unpopular with fans.

OmarUnited4ever

He was forgotten about very quickly, probably because he’d been brought in at a time of crisis, did nothing to halt our decline and things started to improve the moment he got dropped and subsequently left.
So what are you saying?

Maguire will end up like that Graham fella?

phelans shorts

Unless Maguire is a really despised or divisive figure in the dressing room, or ETH really has plans to drop him from the starting lineup, both of which I doubt, why not leave it with Maguire? I don’t see the point of taking it off him just because he’s unpopular with fans.
I’m fairly certain that exactly this will happen and idiots will write the manager off before game 1 because Maguire is kept on.

Kag

So captaincy shouldn’t go to a player who might leave in a years time and instead should go to a player who’s likely to retire in a years time
I knew somebody would struggle with this. Well done.

Ronaldo will leave the club of his own accord. Another year, then done. I’m expecting that De Gea will eventually be dropped and in all likelihood sold because the manager isn’t going to fancy him. Doing that is incredibly difficult when that player is your captain. It’s creates unnecessary drama and media talk.

Now, you might not agree with what I think will happen to De Gea, but there is a clear distinction between making him captain and making Ronaldo captain.

Revaulx

I’m fairly certain that exactly this will happen and idiots will write the manager off before game 1 because Maguire is kept on.
Indeed.

If Maguire continues to be picked after producing further gormless performances then the pitchforks can be brought out. Let’s keep them stacked away until then.

OmarUnited4ever

Indeed.

If Maguire continues to be picked after producing further gormless performances then the pitchforks can be brought out. Let’s keep them stacked away until then.
This is not only about Maguire, but the entire squad. (those who remain)

They must perform from the first competitive game under ETH, Maguire as the captain must produce strong performances from the get go if ETH retains him him as a starter and a captain, he and the rest of the squad can't have a slow start and as you describe it gormless performances, they must redeem themselves

Revaulx

This is not only about Maguire, but the entire squad. (those who remain)

They must perform from the first competitive game under ETH, Maguire as the captain must produce strong performances from the get go if ETH retains him him as a starter and a captain, he and the rest of the squad can't have a slow start and as you describe it gormless performances, they must redeem themselves
Well that depends on how deep the squad is by then.

Varane is a crock, one of Bailly and Jones is likely to leave with the one remaining being a super-crock, Lindelöf isn’t great and has a dodgy back, Tuanzebe’s career has sadly stalled, Menghi doesn’t seem to be ready. So it’s down to Harry to stay fit and perform :nervous:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You just can’t keep it on Maguire after the season he has just had. You just can’t. His confidence is shot.

Ronaldo has done everything there is to do in football and grew into the best player in the world at Manchester United. He can and should be the Captain and central figure over the next year. It makes no sense for someone like Maguire to be captain over a player of Ronaldo’s calibre.

Let him lead the new charge for a year. His example on the field was the only one that merited the captaincy over the last season.

m1tch

Ronaldo or DDG next season, it's quite a simple choice given the lack of options.

I suppose the hardest bit is taking it off Maguire, not because he deserves to have it, but because unless he's being sold we've got to try and get a tune out of him somehow. Stripping him of the captaincy could be pretty demotivating, although if I was him I'd be glad of a little relief from some of the scrutiny.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm guessing some of the tabloids are caf members: The Sun have named DDG as favourite for the job.

That just gets a big fat no from me: as I've said before, you barely see him dominating his six yard box so how is he going to to the cajoling, shouting, supporting etc that's needed?

At school, we had a captain who was a brilliant reader of the game but barely ever said a word on the field, earning him the ironic nickname of (Muhammad) Ali

A-man

For me, Ronaldo is the only option. I can’t believe people are mentioning Bruno. He is constantly complaining and crying and has no coolness whatsoever.

wolvored

I have never heard such bollocks as allowing players to pick the captain. Ten Hag should show his authority, discuss with his coaches after seeing a few training sessions and then call in whoever they pick as captain and tell him, then call in Maguire and tell him hes been replaced. That way hes showing hes not going to take any crap and everyone will be aware its his way or nothing.

RPT_Reddevil

Ronaldo is an obvious choice, but it could very well be DDG as well. Also DDG has just been voted as Player's Player of the season and is one of the longest serving player in the squad.