Captaincy…

Mainoldo

Give it DDG.

Clearly Ronaldo divides the camp. We don’t need that next season.

hobbers

De Gea or Ronaldo, either is fine. Just so long as it isn't Bruno.

Eli Zee

Doesn't matter. The leaders will lead the team regardless of armband.

reddev3

Ronaldo or DDG next season, it's quite a simple choice given the lack of options.

I suppose the hardest bit is taking it off Maguire, not because he deserves to have it, but because unless he's being sold we've got to try and get a tune out of him somehow. Stripping him of the captaincy could be pretty demotivating, although if I was him I'd be glad of a little relief from some of the scrutiny.
I reckon it would be the latter and it could be a weight off his shoulders. If he's not captain he can just get on with doing his job as CB with the spotlight on the other bigger players. Imagine being Harry Maguire coming from Leicester, he's never won a thing and he has to try and be the captain giving advice to players like Ronaldo and Varane, hell even the poorer ones like Rashford, Shaw etc have won more and have more experience on the bigger stage than him.

He would also feel a lot more relaxed without the pressure of being captain and with the fact that any mistakes wouldn't be magnified as much as when he was the captain, this alone should mean less mistakes.

De Bruyne got stripped of the captain last season and the players voted the captain which I think is the best way to do it, who ever they pick. At the end of the day the captain is only there to give the players on the pitch a lift and keep them motivated so by letting those players choose who they think would be best would get you the most effective captain.

Edit: The last bit is because I read ETH is going to let the players decide which hopefully is true.

m1tch

If the players are going to choose then when is the decision going to be made? Will the squad get chance to see what sort of character new signings might have, or who the manager is picking each week?

Imagine voting to give it to DDG then we sign the next Roy Keane on transfer deadline day, or EtH prefers a keeper that comes off his line etc so DDG doesn't play that often (unlikely this season I must admit).

I'd hold the vote a couple of months into the season, I'd even wait a couple of months if I was EtH and making the choice myself, and just give it to the most senior player in the 11 each week.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Ronaldo till end of season when he leaves, then it gives enough chance to see the new signings, see who are leaders, and see who the main squad ends up being.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Unless Maguire is a really despised or divisive figure in the dressing room, or ETH really has plans to drop him from the starting lineup, both of which I doubt, why not leave it with Maguire? I don’t see the point of taking it off him just because he’s unpopular with fans.
feck off with that logic.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
If the players are going to choose then when is the decision going to be made? Will the squad get chance to see what sort of character new signings might have, or who the manager is picking each week?

Imagine voting to give it to DDG then we sign the next Roy Keane on transfer deadline day, or EtH prefers a keeper that comes off his line etc so DDG doesn't play that often (unlikely this season I must admit).

I'd hold the vote a couple of months into the season, I'd even wait a couple of months if I was EtH and making the choice myself, and just give it to the most senior player in the 11 each week.
Roy Keane was signed in 1993, but didn't become captain until 1997. I don't think new signings will have any major influence on who is team captain. In fact it makes more sense that the captain be someone who has been at the club for more than 5 minutes. DDG is the natural/likely choice, and I don't think a new signing changes that unless DDG is completely dropped.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If players want Dave then it means thst they respect him inside changing room. And that is what captain must have; respect from players

m1tch

Roy Keane was signed in 1993, but didn't become captain until 1997. I don't think new signings will have any major influence on who is team captain. In fact it makes more sense that the captain be someone who has been at the club for more than 5 minutes. DDG is the natural/likely choice, and I don't think a new signing changes that unless DDG is completely dropped.
Yeah fair point, although Keane came to a squad that included the likes of Robson and Bruce so we were certainly in no desperate need for a new captain. I agree though in retrospect, giving it to a new signing (immediately) isn't a good idea - no matter who it is really, they'd be better off not taking the extra pressure on top of being a new arrival. I would still think it best to wait and see what the settled first 11 might be, unless EtH is already certain he's going to go with De Gea nine times out of ten.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Unless Maguire is a really despised or divisive figure in the dressing room, or ETH really has plans to drop him from the starting lineup, both of which I doubt, why not leave it with Maguire? I don’t see the point of taking it off him just because he’s unpopular with fans.
Maybe Maguire doesn't want it? Maybe he is more comfortable as a regular member of the team than the figure that attracts all eyes?

Last edited:

Greck

Probably answered your own question in the scenarios you doubted. Very possible Maguire may not be an important figure under ETH. Between this and signing a new CB I think Maguire could be the one to lose.

Longshanks

Please god not Ronaldo or De gea, we really don't need to feel anymore pressure to have to pick the over the hill GOAT or the mute GK who never leaves his goal line.

There is no reason to take it off maguire unless he no longer commands the respect of the squad or ETH really dosent plan on playing him. And if either of those are true I honestly couldn't think of two worse candidates than Ronaldo or De gea.

Rolaholic

Please god not Ronaldo or De gea, we really don't need to feel anymore pressure to have to pick the over the hill GOAT or the mute GK who never leaves his goal line.

There is no reason to take it off maguire unless he no longer commands the respect of the squad or ETH really dosent plan on playing him. And if either of those are true I honestly couldn't think of two worse candidates than Ronaldo or De gea.
You couldn't think of worse candidates than De Gea or Ronaldo yet have no problem keeping it with Maguire?? Some logic there :houllier:

rbdoconnor

How do you know what happens behind closed doors? Maguire's billy big boy routine looks good on camera, but I remain unconvinced.

People react to different types of leaders. I personally am more likely to listen to calm feedback rather than someone who gives off the Maguire vibe.

Revaulx

Probably answered your own question in the scenarios you doubted. Very possible Maguire may not be an important figure under ETH. Between this and signing a new CB I think Maguire could be the one to lose.
Unless we buy two centre backs I can’t see how Maguire isn’t going to be an important figure, at least for next season. Varane is hopelessly injury-prone, and Lindelöf is not any better than ok.

But yes, there are potentially good reasons why the captaincy might change. @JPRouve just mentioned another: Maguire might actually be glad to be rid of the burden. I just feel that a lot of individual players’ fan clubs are getting excessively giddy about the possibility of their boy getting the captaincy ;)

Longshanks

You couldn't think of worse candidates than De Gea or Ronaldo yet have no problem keeping it with Maguire?? Some logic there :houllier:
One is a massive whinger and hugely selfish/individualistic and will be here one year max and hopefully not as a guaranteed starter.

And the other one is a mute who is more of a negative drag on the team than any other regular starter who likes to throw his teammates under the bus in post match interviews.

Maguire is solid teamplayer and professional who is a much more natural leader than either de gea or Ronaldo, the only reason his posistion and capatanciy is under threat is because he had a bad season, de gea had 3 bad seasons in a row before this one, and Ronaldo was wildly inconsistent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One is a massive whinger and hugely selfish/individualistic and will be here one year max and hopefully not as a guaranteed starter.

And the other one is a mute who is more of a negative drag on the team than any other regular starter who likes to throw his teammates under the bus in post match interviews.

Maguire is solid teamplayer and professional who is a much more natural leader than either de gea or Ronaldo, the only reason his posistion and capatanciy is under threat is because he had a bad season, de gea had 3 bad seasons in a row before this one, and Ronaldo was wildly inconsistent.
How do you know that?

Longshanks

How do you know that?
I don't know it per se. But its how I read him so to speak, the way he comes across with his actions on and off the pitch that are public knowledge.

I could be wrong of course, maybe he is very unprofessional, not a team player and not at all suited to being a leader, but I don't get that impression from him.

Jacob

A captain should ideally be a good performer and an inspiration. Maguire fails on both accounts. I say just rotate the band. Nobody is an obvious pick.

didz

I don't really like the idea of goalkeepers as captains, but it could be really good for De Gea. It will force him to be more vocal and communicate with the backline more on the pitch. Given that he's often the only one who's been willing to the face the cameras, that he's been a key player in our last title win, and he's had the POTY however many times in a decade, it does make a lot of sense.

Ronaldo is the other option. He commands respect, has a high standard and can drag the team. I feel like he already will lead by example and status though, so it would seem kind of pointless. I suppose Tadic was Ten Hag's last captain, so maybe the oldies are the goodies for him.

Maguire needs it taking off him. And I say that as someone who can see him coming back to a good level. He was given it way too early, he's drawn loads of negative attention and he's clearly not dealt with that level of pressure well. Even in form, he just doesn't have the clout to be leading people like Varane, Bruno, Ronaldo, etc. He's been noticeably quieter since we got a couple of winners in, to the point it looks like he's crumbled in on himself.

El Jefe

Ronaldo as a placeholder for one year. The other two options are DDG or Bruno and I think they are terrible choices. De Gea as a player lacks bravery and is timid, those are bad characteristics for a captain. Bruno is erratic and emotional, again I'm not sure that's the type of player you want leading.

Ronaldo will always lead by example so he's the obvious choice. Would be great if we could buy some leaders this summer as this team is severely lacking in that department. The fact that Ralf said he can see Mctominay as a captain in the future should've highlighted how bad things are.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A captain should ideally be a good performer and an inspiration. Maguire fails on both accounts. I say just rotate the band. Nobody is an obvious pick.
Not a terrible idea given we have no good options. Unless we simply buy that leader.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Fergie quite liked the idea of your oldest player being your captain in his later years I think. So it would naturally be Ronaldo and then when he's out I'm guessing De Gea would be next in line if we assume Matic is off? Then perhaps Varane after that would it be? He certainly runs like he's old anyway.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I could see the logic in De Gea as captain.

Partly because he's simply been around for so long, which is how a lot of clubs pick their captain regardless of much of a natural leader they are. But also partly because if the stories about tensions/divisions within the camp are true, his less abrasive personality might actually suit the situation more than someone like Ronaldo, who would perhaps be a more divisive choice. Also De Gea was just voted POTY by his teammates, which perhaps underlines the idea that there's a broad amount of goodwill towards him within the group.

Really though if you let the players decide you can't the complain about whoever they pick as they understand the internal group dynamics better than anyone else.

Irwin99

I'm of the opinion that giving the captaincy to another player might actually help Maguire a lot rather than be seen as some sort of insult. I get the feeling he never wanted the captaincy in the first place and it was just more and more pressure coupled with the 80 million price tag.

Personally although I like De Gea i'm not a fan of him getting it. I guess Ronaldo being our main striker and a proven winner would be best choice but i can see why some would have doubts.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Aye, he would be good as Captain C. Captain A and B should be two other players. Ideally, two of our own.

Greck

Unless we buy two centre backs I can’t see how Maguire isn’t going to be an important figure, at least for next season. Varane is hopelessly injury-prone, and Lindelöf is not any better than ok.

But yes, there are potentially good reasons why the captaincy might change. @JPRouve just mentioned another: Maguire might actually be glad to be rid of the burden. I just feel that a lot of individual players’ fan clubs are getting excessively giddy about the possibility of their boy getting the captaincy ;)
I guess backing up a crock is also important, as are all backups but was thinking automatic starter. Starting competition is enough to relegate someone to the bench for 20-40 games.

I don't think CR deserves captaincy either when we haven't even figured out how to convince him of his own rotation situation but he'd probably deserve it as much as captain fantastic who received it as if it were a signing on bonus.

Last edited:

Pronewbie

Peep
When I look at captains I look for inspiration and leadership. Keane, maldini, ramos, xavi, chiellini etc, heck even henderson

I just don’t see that in DDG.
That's fine. In a team filled with temperamental firecrackers it's probably a good idea to have a respected, calmer voice resonate.

It's not like this is new to us. We've had VDS, Giggs, Carrick etc. to plug the gap.

Andersonson

This. Given that Peter Schmeichel never (as far as I recall) wore the armband and you could hearing him shout over a 70,000 crowd, there's no good reason to give it to a mouse by comparison...
He was vice captain. He was the captain under the CL finale in '99 etc

Greck

De Gea should probably have been captain from the start. If Ole really wanted to give it to Maguire he should have waited and let Maguire spend 5 minutes at the club so he could actually have some semblance of earning it organically. It would have been easy for the dressing room to rally behind him when a big name like Ronaldo joined.

Why I disagree with Neville blaming Maguire's form on Ronaldo. What's the point of being United captain when you can't even survive the aura of an iconic name? Isn't that supposed to be the point of having a captain? Some player discussions seem to always have someone else to blame for their own failings and Maguire's is the CEO of teammate blaming. Needs a proper CM, proper CB partner, GK, proper system and no one big enough to challenge his captaincy.