Captaincy…

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure a keeper as captain is a good idea, unless it's an incredible character like Schmeichel.
De Gea, apart from a few moody interviews talking about how poor we've been doesn't seem to evoke anything you'd want from a captain.

Surely Ronaldo is the only choice for a year.

pawanraj

I don't care who gets it as long as it is someone who puts in 100% effort (in training and on the pitch), and is considered competent by most teammates' standards.

I don't mind giving it to DDG. If the dressing room is as divided as everyone says it is, it might be the best option.

sugar_kane

I'm sick of hearing about the captaincy, way more meaning is attached to it than necessary (seems quite a modern fascination) and it has clearly contributed to dressing room issues and the weight of it is making Maguire perform even worse.

As has been pointed out, true leaders don't need the armband - and we need a team full of them not just rely on one guy. Also just from a practical point of view the captain doesn't run the show on the pitch for 90 minutes, you need different leaders in different situations eg, in attack, defence, set pieces etc.

If I was ETH I'd talk down the importance of the captaincy (unlike Ralf who fuelled it by talking about voting for captains etc) and begin to cycle the armband round a group of players over the course of this season. The issue needs neutralising amongst the fan base and in the squad.

Stripping Maguire of it, unless they're planning on selling him, would just contribute to the dressing room issues.

TommiHelm

I don't get this obsession about the captain having to be a leader. It's not as important any more in my opinion. Rather it's someone that's calm and can communicate with the officials without yelling and screaming, preferably someone that already know most of the officials already. That said, I have no idea who that would be in our current squad.

Hammondo

Not sure a keeper as captain is a good idea, unless it's an incredible character like Schmeichel.
De Gea, apart from a few moody interviews talking about how poor we've been doesn't seem to evoke anything you'd want from a captain.

Surely Ronaldo is the only choice for a year.
Casillas?

Wing Attack Plan R

It was a mistake to give a new player the armband, especially one with that transfer fee hanging over his head. I don't think we're selling Maguire anytime soon but sparing Maguire's feelings is not more important than getting this squad to play together properly. I personally think being captain should be a lot more ceremonial and less duty bound, with the captain doing the coin toss and then fecking off basically. It's when the captain thinks he's the spokesman and the boss and the cheerleader that things go awry. ETH could do like that England world cup team that had 3 captains in it, and just rotate the band through a small group of senior players: Maguire, DeGea, Shaw, Ronaldo. I think that would relieve the weight of wearing the band as well as improve morale in the squad, and whichever player wore it on the day would feel a boost of pride. It's not Captain United but United captain.

wolvored

Give it to Frenkie when he arrives..
He shouldnt be allowing the players to pick a captain. and I agree with making De Jong captain. This would show the players who is boss and wont be messed with. This letting the players choose smacks of what we are supposedly trying to move away from, player power.

Buzzbee

I think it's telling that when I thought about who I would vote for United captaincy, I opened up the current squad list and thought... "Wow, there isn't a natural answer, never mind a healthy debate about it"

Personally I think this points to coughing up the big money for Declan Rice, and making him captain from day one. The lad puts in the effort and seems to be a great leader, he'd fill a huge gap in the team not just in terms of performance on the pitch. Well worth the money imo.

Fernandes is close, he puts in the effort but the moaning and blaming attitude loses me.
Ronaldo has the skill but (understandably) lacks the required effort, and he also hasn't always got the best attitude.
McTominay shows some leadership qualities but not ready to lead United, on his way potentially though.
Maguire is crumbling under mahoosive pressure, we fans need to give him a break, give him support and get the best we can out of him. Additional capitaincy pressure is not a good idea right now.
I don't know enough about De Jong's personality yet to make a decision on him.

SuperiorXI

Is it in the rules that you must field a captain?

If it were up to me I would not assign a captain, I would tell the players it must be earnt in the coming season. Added incentive to perform.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Has to be between De Gea or Ronaldo. Players who have won it before and knows what's required at the club. Maybe even Varane but he's a sick note and does not strike me as captain material.

Skills

Snitch
Better off just going back to the Mourinho time, where the most senior player on the team started as captain

TheDosser56

I agree with Goldbridge on this. CR7 should be Captain next season and then once he leaves give it to De JONg or a new signing

i don't like Goalies as Captains and plus CR7 has a serial winner mentality which is what this club needs.

Oranges038

Has to be between De Gea or Ronaldo. Players who have won it before and knows what's required at the club. Maybe even Varane but he's a sick note and does not strike me as captain material.
The least vocal and weakest player on the pitch.

He would make for a great captain.

TheDosser56

If Harry Maguire stays as Manchester United Captain the dressing room will continue to be divided and split which means toxicity will lead to performances like last season because it's a dressing room dis-United that won't just go away because they had a break/holiday. It needs a resolution/solution and Ten Hag needs to fix to move forward.

Erik Ten Hag needs to sort the Captaincy issue out as one of his first priorities. To bring the dressing room together and fix team morale.

i hope Erik Ten Hag makes CR7 his Captain as it's the best choice for next season with his experience, trophy cabinet and winning mentality. Then maybe De Jong the year after.

a new manager normally chooses his own Captain. And especially on the continent (where Erik Ten Hag) that is usually the best player and most experienced. Which is CR7.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I generally think the importance of captaincy is overplayed but if it's an active source of friction in the dressing room then it gains significance. Though I think it reflects poorly on the players involved if that's the case.

RuudTom83

Is Ronaldo going to sulk and cry every time he gets subbed...100%
Is Ronaldo going to jet off to Portugal if he is dropped...probably yes!

Hard to give him the armband really.

Mmm-Qatarian

I generally think the importance of captaincy is overplayed but if it's an active source of friction in the dressing room then it gains significance. Though I think it reflects poorly on the players involved if that's the case.
Honestly, IF Ronaldo has actually divided the dressing room over the captaincy (the article isn't clear on it) then there is no way in Hell he deserves it.

This is one of the main issues I still have with Ronaldo being at the club. He is an exceptional professional and still a very good player but it's obvious to anyone that isn't a fanboy that this is largely driven by his ego. Ronaldo should not be able to throw a strop and get his own way out of fear of the reprisals that would come of it; the board must make it abundantly clear that his wishes are secondary to those of Erik ten Hag and his coaching staff.

Idxomer

The Portuguese-speaking contingent has ruined the dressing room.

Mmm-Qatarian

The Portuguese-speaking contingent has ruined the dressing room.
I mean it will annoy the shit out of a load of people on here but it's pretty damn obvious which member of the Portuguese contingent is primarily responsible for ruining the dressing room. The atmosphere was seemingly amiable up until a certain number seven arrived.

copen1945

Maguire all the way. Hopefully, somewhere else.
In all seriousness, I think the club is setting the stage for Ronaldo's exit.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

I mean it will annoy the shit out of a load of people on here but it's pretty damn obvious which member of the Portuguese contingent is primarily responsible for ruining the dressing room. The atmosphere was seemingly amiable up until a certain number seven arrived.
Quite sure there were a bunch of reports of dressing room 'cliques' long before he returned last summer...

The English one in particular have been joked about quite a bit on here

Irwin99

Considering that there was an alleged quote from a dressing room member proudly saying just how far United had progressed in two years (zero trophies and miles behind a title challenge) you'd think it would have done them good to see some real winners like Varane and Ronaldo enter the dressing room and take us to the next level but sadly it didn't.

As i've said before i'm hopeful Maguire's form will pick up if he's relieved of the captaincy. I think he's a good defender but the price tag and the captaincy pressure has got to him I think.

Mmm-Qatarian

Quite sure there were a bunch of reports of dressing room 'cliques' long before he returned last summer...

The English one in particular have been joked about quite a bit on here
There may have been cliques but the dressing room atmosphere only seems to have turned toxic this season.

Red4Life_#7

It needs to be Ronaldo... he is the most respected experienced player we have.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If there is friction between Maguire and Ronaldo cliques then it could easily be someone like De Gea who ends up being captain, just to dampen that tension. Particularly given the players just voted DDG as their POTY, so presumably he currently carries a base level of respect from his teammates.

Tibs

If you aren't fussed about the the role of a Captain on the pitch, then it could be anyone.

If you think that it is an important role, then its a player who is a leader and frankly, has to inspire the others to keep theirs heads up, push harder, and do what's needed for the win. There is only one player in the squad, and he's also arguably the GOAT.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah the guy whose agent is offering him to clubs around Europe. Great choice for captain
You believe that shit do you? It can only really be Ronaldo, De Goat or Bruno. If Varane has acclimatised to the PL then he's in with a shout too.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Unpopular opinion time, had we not panicked and signed Ronaldo, we would have easily finished top 4, squad harmony would have been better and Ole would still be our manager.
That being said, with Ole, we're never going to win the league so I'm glad he's gone. I just don't see how we can make Ronaldo captain if rumours of him being involved in a rift about the captaincy.

city-puma

I want to know why the team started the downfall since the young boy game. If CR7 is the one asking for captaincy and divided the squad, I will be more than angry. by now, all about it still sounds like crap rumor.

Ace

Give it to the most senior player (de Gea if you’re going by United appearances, Ronaldo if you’re going by career appearances).

city-puma

Unpopular opinion time, had we not panicked and signed Ronaldo, we would have easily finished top 4, squad harmony would have been better and Ole would still be our manager.
That being said, with Ole, we're never going to win the league so I'm glad he's gone. I just don't see how we can make Ronaldo captain if rumours of him being involved in a rift about the captaincy.
This is not an unpopular opinion. Many have thought about it.

Zoo

I agree give it to De Gea. Guaranteed starter, senior player and passionate about the club. Can’t see him getting involved in divides and probably has the respect of everyone in the dressing room as a person.