Captaincy…

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm sure De Gea would be an awful captain but it's not a bad shout as a diplomatic act during a transitional szn.

I suspect our biggest, and most understandable, problem is certain players not respecting Maguire. De Gea would at least command some respect.

El Jefe

I mean it will annoy the shit out of a load of people on here but it's pretty damn obvious which member of the Portuguese contingent is primarily responsible for ruining the dressing room. The atmosphere was seemingly amiable up until a certain number seven arrived.
A general observation on the pitch is that the Portuguese speaking group give off the impression that they are better than the rest of the team. You see them often congregating on the pitch to talk about what should be done to impact the game. Without Ronaldo, that group wouldn't have a drop of influence outside of Bruno.

Ronaldo coming in has definitely affected the vibe and dynamic of the dressing room. Now this has its benefits such as seeing the winners mentality right in front of you but I think this team needed a leader of the Ibra mode rather than the Ronaldo type.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think it should be De Gea.

Wanted Ronaldo to be the captain but player who makes himself unavailable just because he isn't starting is not a leader or captain.

Barely couple of options but have to pick the least controversial one or least shit one.

BarstoolProphet

I mean it will annoy the shit out of a load of people on here but it's pretty damn obvious which member of the Portuguese contingent is primarily responsible for ruining the dressing room. The atmosphere was seemingly amiable up until a certain number seven arrived.
That might be true, but it also could prove that they didn't like a serial winner expecting high standards coming in. After all the performances were dreadful and flat long before he joined and none of the players (bar maybe Bruno and DDG) had played at a high enough standard deserving instant respect from the newcomers. What's the point of having a great atmosphere in the dressing room if it results in feck all on the pitch?

There used to be reports of bust ups and cliques several times even during our greatest periods but they had strong personalities keeping it under control.

This season really went to shit but maybe Ronaldo coming in and disrupting the seemingly laissez-faire attitude in the dressing will help us in the long run? After all those said to be in leading pack before Ronaldo joined (Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, Lingard etc) really downed tools.

Last edited:

Daengophile

FdJ

New coach
New team
New captain

It also seems to be clear that EtH wants a leadership throughout the team. So that (to me anyway) would imply keeper, defender, midfielder and attacker

MiracleInMadrid

De Gea.

He may not be the typical vocal captain, but at the very least he loves and understands the club. He has the passion, and has shown it through good and bad times.

And that’s more than could be said about most of the other players.

JB7

In a world where Maguire is.
De Gea is no more of a captain than Amad is. It’s frankly astonishing people still suggest him as captain, he possesses virtually no characteristics of a captain and is another who will be replaced before too long.

roonster09

Scout
De Gea is no more of a captain than Amad is. It’s frankly astonishing people still suggest him as captain, he possesses virtually no characteristics of a captain and is another who will be replaced before too long.
Maguire is no more of a captain than wet towel but still he got arm band, so compared to him De Gea is much better choice.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maguire is no more of a captain than wet towel but still he got arm band, so compared to him De Gea is much better choice.
Honestly we don't know, it's something that can only be judged from the inside.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ronaldo will be captain
DDG is on borrowed time anyway

MalaysianRed7

I don’t think you can pin the blame on Ronaldo for that. Rather have 1 winner and 24 losers than 0 winners and 25 losers.

That being said, if he is made captain, it won’t be a long-term choice considering he’ll likely be gone next summer. I’d still give it to him though - we don’t have any better options.

JB7

In Maguire's defence he’s the only person in the entire back 6 (7 if you include the goalkeeper) who communicates effectively and tries to organise the team. We have a squad bereft of leadership and frankly he’s one of the very few realistic candidates, despite his horror show of a season just gone. It’s fashionable to bash the guy but the alternatives just aren’t there. There is Ronaldo obviously, possibly Bruno, both of whom have their down sides too and that’s it.

kthanksbye

Although I understand people saying it can't be DeGea or Bruno, but if we can play an entire season with Maguire as captain, we could even give it to Fred the red and it'll be the same.

roonster09

Scout
Honestly we don't know, it's something that can only be judged from the inside.
True, whatever choice ETH makes, we have to assume it's a well thought out one and the player is respected in dressing room.

In Maguire's defence he’s the only person in the entire back 6 (7 if you include the goalkeeper) who communicates effectively and tries to organise the team. We have a squad bereft of leadership and frankly he’s one of the very few realistic candidates, despite his horror show of a season just gone. It’s fashionable to bash the guy but the alternatives just aren’t there. There is Ronaldo obviously, possibly Bruno, both of whom have their down sides too and that’s it.
I don't agree with that. I felt Lindelof organizes and talks to team more than Maguire but he isn't a regular player.

JB7

True, whatever choice ETH makes, we have to assume it's a well thought out one and the player is respected in dressing room.

I don't agree with that. I felt Lindelof organizes and talks to team more than Maguire but he isn't a regular player.
He does talk but as you say, when they’re all fit he’s not a starter. I’m going off the back 7 that has been first choice over the past year or two;
DDG
Dalot or AWB
Shaw or Telles
Maguire
Varane
McT
Fred

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
City don't have a set captain and Liverpool's captain isn't a regular starter - I really don't think captaincy is as important nowadays.

roonster09

Scout
He does talk but as you say, when they’re all fit he’s not a starter. I’m going off the back 7 that has been first choice over the past year or two;
DDG
Dalot or AWB
Shaw or Telles
Maguire
Varane
McT
Fred
Few things, first thing is I don't think captaincy is that important. Any player can be leader with or without arm band. IMO the player wearing armband should have high standards both on and off the pitch, something that Maguire lacks, at least on the pitch.

Also I don't think we have to consider only back 6, apart from that this season De Gea will be #1 for sure as Henderson is leaving on loan and we are looking for cheap back ups. I can't say the same thing for Maguire, there is a good chance he will be de beek's best friend this season if Lindelof plays well.

Syphon Wallet

Maguire will remain captain unless sold, you guys are kidding yourselves.
And if there is going to be a change, it has to be Ronaldo, he's the only real winner in the squad currently.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In what world is De Gea a captain?
In a world where some clubs literally just pick their longest serving player as captain, regardless of how much of a "leader" they are. The captaincy is only ever what the club decides it is.

De Gea appears to be a nailed on starter next season, is 52(?) games from becoming the goalkeeper with the most appearances in the history of our club, currently has enough credit among his teammates to have been voted their POTY and isn't one of the two players name-checked as having been central to tensions around captaincy last year. If you decide that's what you need your captain to be, he's your captain.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The captain needs to be cool headed, that's it. He is the player supposed to interact with officials and he can't be a lunatic or someone that can lose his mind when things don't go his way, in that sense De Gea and Varane are likely the best candidates. Now it doesn't mean that they are the only leaders, good teams have several of them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
City don't have a set captain and Liverpool's captain isn't a regular starter - I really don't think captaincy is as important nowadays.
It's not.

The only reason it might matter here is if our idiots are arguing about it, as Simon Stone suggested. If they treat it like a serious issues then it becomes a serious issue.

lsd

The Oracle
As long as it's not Maguire we should be better off.

Maguire is as far away from captain material as you can get. He doesn't inspire confidence or leadership in anything he does

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's not.

The only reason it might matter here is if our idiots are arguing about it, as Simon Stone suggested. If they treat it like a serious issues then it becomes a serious issue.
Exactly. I couldn't tell you who is captain for most teams nowadays. I'm failing to remember who lifted the Champions League for Real Madrid even.

Wilt

De Gea?! :houllier:

A captain needs to proficient in communicating with the players, officials and the football press.

De Gea can’t even communicate with his own defence.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
“Games are won Monday to Friday. If you get Monday to Friday right, games are won on Saturday. Each and every one (player) has to bring energy.

“Pochettino talks about creating the culture. If no one brought energy he got them out (sold them). You have to be ready, have to be ready to train, you have to be ready to play, ready to impact as a sub, you have to react.

A lot of people now, body language, arms up in the air, you’ve got to react to get that ball back, win that ball back, whatever situation, react quickly and don’t think about it.’”
McClaren's words in an Athletic interview.

Fair to say Bruno might not be the top candidate for the captaincy.

R'hllor

Brickhead being a captain is Ole`s best decision as a cherry on shit cake left after sacking, mr "he knows United DNA" just gave it to him like its nothing.

R'hllor

Who should he have given it to?
Traffic con would be more deserving, give it to DDG, think Smalling was still there, hell even Young, Mata, Pogba, guy signed a contract, 3 min later an armband, did feck all to earn it, from RK and for years bleeding NV, to that, taking a piss, its actually funny.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’d rather not change it at all than give it to De Gea. My interim shout was Ronaldo just as a symbolic thing because he’s going soon anyway, but that might happen this summer so we can’t afford that.

mu4c_20le

Traffic con would be more deserving, give it to DDG, think Smalling was still there, hell even Young, Mata, Pogba, guy signed a contract, 3 min later an armband, did feck all to earn it, from RK and for years bleeding NV, to that, taking a piss, its actually funny.
Smalling was on his way out, Young was the previous captain and being phased out. DDG's form was up and down at the time, I remember he was making some pretty horrendous mistakes. I'm not a fan of the decision either but he was the best choice at the time, given that he was also a leader at Leicester and the NT. The problem is that he should have taken decisive action after the Greece incident, or when Ronaldo came in.