Captaincy…

Tyrion

Its an odd one isn't it. I think Ralf wasn't joking when he said most of the team needed replacing but I think he was basing it on what he saw and the attitude and application issues of last season. I don't think he would have had the same opinion if he was assessing the team the previous season.

I think that many of these players will ultimately find themselves at other teams in the next few years but that will be for lack of desire to fight rather than a lack of ability for some of them.

Livepool are a great example of a team that has consistently taken average players that no one really cared about and made them look top class. The system allowed them to do this and thats why I have such high hopes for United under ETH. Liverpool have some quality players in key positions but they also have a bunch of workhorses that are elevated by the collective efforts of those around them.

We need to support ETH and if the fans support him then perhaps the players might support him a little more as well. We have already seen the massive positive impact of simply appointing a manager that makes the players happy. Oles first few months were great. It only started to fall apart when the players were realising that feel good only gets you so far. If ETH can make the team better and we start to see good results with good play then the rest of the pieces will quickly fall into place. Its easy to work hard when you enjoy your job and feel like you are moving towards something.

Its too early to say how good ETH will be but he is the first manager since Fergie who I genuinely believe has the talent and relevance to the modern game to take us back to the top. How long that will take I have no idea but I believe.
He's the first manager we appointed since Fergie that might have been appointed by other top clubs in England. And I agree with you. But I do think that the manager should be backed even if these players don't back him. They've shown they're hardly irreplaceable. They're mostly overpaid and ineffective. We could get a team just as good for far less money.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is it customary for the 2nd captain to hand over the armband once the 1st one comes off the bench? Think I've seen the stand-ins finish matches as captains quite a few times. Was surprised. Think this could have been a nice way of lessening the pressure on Harry and allow him to just be one of the centre backs.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Is it customary for the 2nd captain to hand over the armband once the 1st one comes off the bench? Think I've seen the stand-ins finish matches as captains quite a few times. Was surprised. Think this could have been a nice way of lessening the pressure on Harry and allow him to just be one of the centre backs.
I didn’t pay attention. Did Bruno go to Harry to give him the armband or did Harry go to Bruno to get it? Former would be ok, the latter a bit weird as he should let Bruno continue with just 10 mins left.

eire-red

I think so. I've noticed Liverpool do the same when Milner comes on. Can't think of another PL club really where the club captain doesn't start. Maybe Lascelles at Newcastle, but can't recall any instances there.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Henderson also immediately takes the armband when he comes on for Liverpool. It’s actually not the right thing to do imo, either wear it from the beginning or leave it to the player who was wearing it from the start.
I remember Ramos wearing it and when Casillas came on he offered it to him, but Casillas declined so Ramos continued wearing it (can’t remember anymore if it was for Madrid or Spain).

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Henderson also immediately takes the armband when he comes on for Liverpool. It’s actually not the right thing to do imo, either wear it from the beginning or leave it to the player who was wearing it from the start.
I remember Ramos wearing it and when Casillas came on he offered it to him, but Casillas declined so Ramos continued wearing it (can’t remember anymore if it was for Madrid or Spain).
That’s because Henderson is an insecure painfully average midfielder who’s lucked out staying at Liverpool over the last few seasons.

Ibi Dreams

So when do we think Maguire is going to lose the armband?

I think it will happen, he isn't first choice anymore and honestly it seems like he'd be better off without it

Loon

:lol:
It would appear Maguire is all but done as the Captain, but stripping him of it at the moment could be damaging (as we have seen elsewhere).

Maguire I think will be the next wave of players ten Hag will look to ship out. He will “officially” remain Captain until that point, I’m guessing.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We’ve had Neville as club captain when he was far from the playing x1 for multiple seasons. Having Bruno as the playing captain and Maguire as club captain is nothing that needs to be addressed immediately.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So when do we think Maguire is going to lose the armband?

I think it will happen, he isn't first choice anymore and honestly it seems like he'd be better off without it
I doubt he'll officially lose the armband until he leaves, but a crown doesn't make a king and the players know this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When last did a player lose the captaincy for non disciplinary reasons and still stayed at the club?
Think Harry will keep the armband as long as he is still here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I like hearing ETH talk about Varane as a leader. I'd like him to be the next captain.

peridigm

We’ve had Neville as club captain when he was far from the playing x1 for multiple seasons. Having Bruno as the playing captain and Maguire as club captain is nothing that needs to be addressed immediately.
There is a difference. One is a club legend who's career was winding down. The other is an imposter of a footballer.

Chief123

Just make the inevitable happen now and give it to Martinez for the next 10 years.

SAFMUTD

Bruno, and eventually it'll be Martinez. He's got the right attitude and the leadership.

USREDEVIL

I think it's smart that ETH is taking his time with the captain issue. If he takes it from Maguire after a couple games it could put pressure on Bruno. It will also cause more media BS. So he's just keeping maggy on the bench and letting Bruno captain the side quietly.

USREDEVIL

Bruno is a bit temperamental for the captain but Keane was too. I'd make Bruno the captain next year. He's been here for a while and he is very dedicated to United.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With all due respect to Phil Jones, & I certainly have more than a lot do here, Varane wearing the 19 for us is a pisstake. Get him the 4 & the armband.
You'll be cancelled for that grossly insensitive while absolutely sensible comment.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It may annoy some, but it's blatantly obvious who EtH has in mind as captain.

little.triangles

It should be Bruno. He has been at the club for more than 2 years, he is vocal, he will be in the referee's ear. This is an under-appreciated quality, referees are absolutely influenced by team captains.

As for Martinez or Varane, they could make good captains, but you should not be at United for only a few months or even a year and be captain.

CM10

Fernandes seems to be growing into the captain's role and is certainly more suited to it than Maguire. Maguire was a pretty poor choice at the time, we didn't have many leaders or experienced players when Young left but Maguire had barely been in the door 5 minutes himself.

Ten Hag has been clever in the way he has done this though. Keeping Maguire as captain and gradually phasing him out while he figures it out is much smarter than coming in straight away and causing a fracas by making immediate changes.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bruno and Varane, Captain and Vice Captain in my view. Add Lisandro as 3rd captain as well since he's ETH's most trustable player in the squad. 100% not Ronaldo like what people mentioned on the early pages of this thread.

little.triangles

Fernandes seems to be growing into the captain's role and is certainly more suited to it than Maguire. Maguire was a pretty poor choice at the time, we didn't have many leaders or experienced players when Young left but Maguire had barely been in the door 5 minutes himself.

Ten Hag has been clever in the way he has done this though. Keeping Maguire as captain and gradually phasing him out while he figures it out is much smarter than coming in straight away and causing a fracas by making immediate changes.
I have heard this mentioned a lot, but De Gea was an option, somebody who played under Fergie and had won the league. Was also player of the year multiple times. Granted not a very vocal player but then Maguire isn't either. Can speak pretty good English too depsite what the Maguire camp has leaked.

The United heirarchy and Ole were blinded by their own myths that Maguire was going to play like Virgil van Dijk, and that he would be a leader just because we were stupid enough to make him the most expensive defender in the world.

little.triangles

Bruno and Varane, Captain and Vice Captain in my view. Add Lisandro as 3rd captain as well since he's ETH's most trustable player in the squad. 100% not Ronaldo like what people mentioned on the early pages of this thread.
Bruno yes, but De Gea for vice captain I would say.

Let Varane and Martinez do what they are doing for 1 full year. They are unlikely to go the way of Maguire, but we don't want to be making the same mistake we did with 'Arry. In any case, it is good to see new and better leaders emerge in the squad.