• Young

Votes: 26 6.0%
  • Mata

Votes: 28 6.5%
  • Smalling

Votes: 37 8.5%

• Total voters

Red Royal

Dont like the idea of keeper captain's (even though there are many examples of great ones). Assuming no big name arrivals who are captaincy material, Id like to see Lindelof given it.

He actually seems to give a feck, is more vocal than Smalling and it could give him a hige confidence boost.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
How so? I must be missing something here
Well if anything, he's looked the opposite of a natural leader to me so far. A relatively young defender with decent potential but possibly a bit on the 'mentally fragile' side of the spectrum, who would benefit massively from being surrounded by actual natural leaders like say Edwin, Rio, Vidic, Evra.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Maguire if he sign him, and I generally hate the idea of giving it to new players. Always like having a hierarchy, earning your stripes etc. but none of the senior players can be relied upon.

If De Gea hadn't now flirted with leaving twice and hadn't been crap at the end of last season then him, but he has. Smalling isn't a great player and has brain farts - you need someone more solid in my opinion, Mata not exactly inspiring and too placid, Young is past it. Lindelof was very shakey in his first season, much less so last but he could always become a nervous wreck again - needs more time to prove himself. Pogba wants to leave, probably Lukaku too.

I'd consider Shaw out of the players at the club although he isn't proven over a number of years yet either.

Last edited:

StrettyEnder07

Well if anything, he's looked the opposite of a natural leader to me so far. A relatively young defender with decent potential but possibly a bit on the 'mentally fragile' side of the spectrum, who would benefit massively from being surrounded by actual natural leaders like say Edwin, Rio, Vidic, Evra.
Maybe in the first 6 months yeah, personally think he has shown massive mental strength to get over a nightmare start, confidence shot to bits, Jose basically dropping him from the squad, telling every man and his dog that all our CBs are shocking and need replacing.

His form over the last 12 months has been superb, the only one who has looked a decent defender, has risen to our best CB by far, is becoming a leader on the pitch.

If that does not show mental strength and a massive f*ck you to the doubters I don't know what is, the kind of attitude I want from my captain, not some wannabe playboy like Pogba.

Ekeke

I mean, lets not pretend that the three aren't linked. he looked nervous to me but good performances against the likes of Ronaldo, Mbappe seemsed to build his confidence and then form and consistency came. he barely put a foot wrong after that.
He went back to poor form near the end. It was a couple of months of good performances, 11-12 games of mostly good performances. Then he went back

Henrik Larsson

Maybe in the first 6 months yeah, personally think he has shown massive mental strength to get over a nightmare start, confidence shot to bits, Jose basically dropping him from the squad, telling every man and his dog that all our CBs are shocking and need replacing.

His form over the last 12 months has been superb, the only one who has looked a decent defender, has risen to our best CB by far, is becoming a leader on the pitch.

If that does not show mental strength and a massive f*ck you to the doubters I don't know what is, the kind of attitude I want from my captain, not some wannabe playboy like Pogba.
That's interesting. I'd say he's had a decent season last year but I'm not even sure if he has enough talent to become one of the best CB's in the league, in no way I feel his form over the last year deserves to be labelled 'superb', more like 'occasionally up to top 4 standards'.

On top of that like I said, I just don't see a natural leader at all. No idea what he's done so far in has career that justifies giving him the captain's armband, for me it would be even weirder to witness than seeing Ashley fecking Young as United captain which is a joke on itself.

Agree with you on Pogba though, another one who I feel isn't captain material at all.

StrettyEnder07

That's interesting. I'd say he's had a decent season last year but I'm not even sure if he has enough talent to become one of the best CB's in the league, in no way I feel his form over the last year deserves to be labelled 'superb', more like 'occasionally up to top 4 standards'.

On top of that like I said, I just don't see a natural leader at all. No idea what he's done so far in has career that justifies giving him the captain's armband, for me it would be even weirder to witness than seeing Ashley fecking Young as United captain which is a joke on itself.

Agree with you on Pogba though, another one who I feel isn't captain material at all.
So bar De Gea, who is my first choice, what outfield player would you give it to next year as someone has to take it.

Personally think he had better seasons than the likes of Stones, anyone at Arsenal, anyone at Chelsea, the only CB's who had a better season than him IMO were the top 3 sides who lets be honest all their sides are solid and defensively sound.

Lindelof has to constantly cover whoever is next to him, be it Bailly, Smalling or Jones plus having to deal with Young being out of position all the time, he has had a non-existent Matic in front of him, and a midfield who simply refuse to track any runners from midfield.

With all that, plus the toxic environment he had to work under while Jose was there, to come out of the season as easily our best performing CB and IMO one of our best players of the season, plus on the back of that Barcelona are enquiring about him, not to bad for a lad with no mental strength and having had a decent season.

I think that deserves a superb season over a decent season. If we sold Lindelof to Barca this summer we would be up shits creek without a paddle mate.

As I say just my opinion, means feck all at the end of the day haha

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I would hope that once Bruno Fernandes has been here a little while he will become the captain. So in the meantime could be Young I suppose for a year. But assuming no more signings I'd pick Lindelof, give him something to live up to, I think he'll rise to the challenge.

hobbers

I don't think anyone is suggesting Lindelof is an ideal captain...

He's just vastly less shit of an option than Matic or Mata or Young or Smalling, players who are the stalwarts of our decline and offer us nothing on the pitch, or Pogba who doesn't want to be here.

RedNed77

Give it to McTom, he’ll probably be the oldest, regular starter who’s not atrocious by the time the season starts anyway.

grahamo

Lindelof is the best of a bad bunch. there isn't a single leader in the whole squad. Between the whole lot of them they couldn't lead maggots up a dead dogs ass!
Just Buy some leaders. it doesn't even matter what position.

matt10000

Not Pogba - not sure if it is agent or him but don't really care, his mere presence has a negative effect everything is about him and we should get rid ASAP

Gordon S

How many teams have strong leaders these days? I don’t think we are the only team lacking them.

How so? I must be missing something here
As far as I see it, Lindelof has had a good 7/8 months, nothing spectacular, just solid. That’s great to see, in that he’s improving - but I would want more than that from a Captain. I don’t particularly see any leadership traits - which are clearly absent from the majority of our players! But to make him captain above our best player 5 out of 7 seasons or someone who is our longest serving player we need something more from him than: he is not as bad as Jones, Rojo or Bailly!

Henrik Larsson

So bar De Gea, who is my first choice, what outfield player would you give it to next year as someone has to take it.

Personally think he had better seasons than the likes of Stones, anyone at Arsenal, anyone at Chelsea, the only CB's who had a better season than him IMO were the top 3 sides who lets be honest all their sides are solid and defensively sound.

Lindelof has to constantly cover whoever is next to him, be it Bailly, Smalling or Jones plus having to deal with Young being out of position all the time, he has had a non-existent Matic in front of him, and a midfield who simply refuse to track any runners from midfield.

With all that, plus the toxic environment he had to work under while Jose was there, to come out of the season as easily our best performing CB and IMO one of our best players of the season, plus on the back of that Barcelona are enquiring about him, not to bad for a lad with no mental strength and having had a decent season.

I think that deserves a superb season over a decent season. If we sold Lindelof to Barca this summer we would be up shits creek without a paddle mate.

As I say just my opinion, means feck all at the end of the day haha
I'd probably go for De Gea too! He's at an age now where the captaincy hopefully could be the push to develop himself a bit more in terms of organizing and leading the backline.

RedFish

De Gea is the only one who has the status. The rest aren''t even guaranteed starters. I know your captain needn't necessarily play but id prefer the captain to be on the pitch most weeks.

Foxbatt

DeGea is not a good captain. One of his biggest problems is that he does not command his area. He does not organise his defenders as others like Big Peter etc did. Lindelof is the best of the poor choices we have. If Anders was here I would say give it to him. Pogba may be the best player but he is also the one who indulges himself the most.

Devil81

I wouldn't think anyone was fit to take the armband myself.

Pogba would be the best candidate if he wasn't wanting the leave.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Think you have got to stick with Young this season and see who(if anyone) steps up. If De Gea resigns then maybe him, but I'm against offering him the kind of money he wants.
Long Term the options on our books are Rashford, Lindleof & Mctominay, but we need to see if any of these really put their stamp on the first team.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
You can't captain a team when the only image that comes to mind is seagull shit in your mouth.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I posted a similar tweet in Pogba's thread. Seems like Lukaku is a few times more likely to be gone than Pogba. The Belgians absence today clearly speaks of that.
Looks like Pogba will stay. Media have calmed down with transfer news, also looks like he is getting more coverage from Manutd media again.

Irwin99

Not trying to be negative but jeez, it's a tough ask to pick a captain from this group of players. Some potential in Lindelof but too early I think. Ideally you want your captain to have been at the club a decent amount of time, to be a nailed on first teamer and not a squadie, and to be well respected and liked.

I'd give it to DDG as it might encourage him to be a bit braver (clutching at straws here). Juan Mata is well respected but doesn't play enough.