Votes: 26 6.0%
  • Mata

Votes: 28 6.5%
  • Smalling

Votes: 37 8.5%

• Total voters

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Now that Valencia has moved who would you appoint as full-time captain? Would have been Pogba but as we know he's very likely burnt his bridges.

De Gea

If he signs a new deal I would think he should be rewarded for committing his future to the club.

Victor Lindelof

He seems a calm, composed and a mature guy. He's coming off a decent season and hopefully should raise his standards further. I still think he has weaknesses at the back and I never would have said even a few months ago, but he has shown he could fit the bill as captain.

They are likely to be the first names on the team sheet.

Other names could be considered are Young, Mata, or Smalling.

el3mel

Isn't Young already the full time captain currently anyway ?

For the vice captain who will get it for the majority of the season I think it'll be Smalling.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Thanks Sultan this has just made me even more depressed. feck me we're lacking leaders.

peridigm

It will be Young whenever he plays. DDG should be vice if he signs a new deal. If not, will be Smalling I’d guess.

Sultan

Isn't Young already the full time captain currently anyway ?

For the vice captain who will get it for the majority of the season I think it'll be Smalling.
Valencia was club captain.

DickDastardly

Yeah, Lindelof seems like the captain type.

He's still young, hopefully he keeps up from the last season, he's vocal...

Also the way he put Pogba in a choke, seems he's pretty calm and realizes the mental danger.

Matić is off next season, Pogba is off in a week, Smalling is just not the type, let's hope Young never plays a game for us again...the others are just to young.

Come to think about it - we're really missing Leaders. :(

Sultan

He was and Young was the vice captain last season, so with Valencia gone, by default he'll be the main captain and someone will be the vice one.
Hopefully, he won't get much of a look in this season with a new right back. Pointless making him club captain.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Based on what I saw from the man at the end of last season, I saw a captin in the making in Victor Lindelöf, so I'll vote for him. He was also very quick to break up whatever little spat Lingard and Pogba were having, there's some authority there.

Renegade

Genuinely have no idea. We actually have no solid choices. The first team player with the least leadership skills in our 05-13 teams would be better choice than our current bunch.

U-N-I-T-E-D

Lindelof for me - looks like he can command the back 4 and can have some authority in the team.

Absolutely pointless having Young, Smalling etc if they’re not going to play.

Alabaster Codify7

Not a single player in the squad has the attitude, leadership or on-field behaviour to wear the armband. Not a single one of them. That is disgusting for a club of this size.

Maguire, if he's signed. Hands down.

If we dont sign Maguire. I literally have no idea. Lindelöf seems quite vocal and level-headed, possibly him - but I certainly don't consider him a leader.

Amarsdd

Right now, there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice. On merit, it should be De Gea if he commits his future here. I suppose that would be involved in his contract negotiations as well. In terms of age/number of years in United, Young is the option. But again, he probably (hopefully) won't be a regular starter. In terms of actual leadership qualities, there's actually no one I can think of in the team. Phil Jones and maybe Scott McTominay look like leaders due to their doggedness but I not at all convinced due to various reasons currently.

Reactions: Sultan

EverReddy

what about Jesse Lingard? He's been here since he was a boy, puts s a smile on everyone's faces and he is a leader of men

Puts on helmet

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he signs a new contract, de Gea. Professional and world class.

el3mel

Hopefully, he won't get much of a look in this season with a new right back. Pointless making him club captain.
He won't play much so that's why I think Smalling will get it for the majority of time. Think he's the next in order after him, unless we manage to sign a CB to bench him.

DoomSlayer

Young will be club captain but like Valencia last season, he won't play much. I expect De Gea to be captain on the field if he signs a new contract.

Same goes for Pogba - if he stays and gets an extension with improved wages, Ole will make sure to get him motivated by making him captain. Although I find that to be a bit embarrassing for the club but it's the position our fecking shite board and owners have us in, due to their incompetence and greed.

peridigm

Lindelof for me - looks like he can command the back 4 and can have some authority in the team.

Absolutely pointless having Young, Smalling etc if they’re not going to play.
Right now it appears Smalling and Lindelof will be our starting pair based on nothing more than history. You might say it’s a new season and all and anyone can impress in preseason but let’s be serious. Jones, Bailey, or Rojo won’t stay fit for more than 5-6 matches out of the gate.

Eddy_JukeZ

If De Gea gets/agrees to/a contract extension, I'd give it to him.

I don't think anyone in our squad at the moment is captain material though.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Only player on that list who's an automatic selection is De Gea but dear God we've had some horrible luck with captains since Keane retired. Only Rooney was moderately serviceable when he got the arm band.

manunited1919

Pogba should be our captain.

The club has him as poster-boy, but show no ambition and surround him with dross such as Lingard, etc., so I can understand why he wants to leave. Even Rooney wanted to leave at one point because our club didn’t show enough ambition, yet he went on to be our captain.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Im going to take cover before I say this...

Rashford

Sultan

Young will be club captain but like Valencia last season, he won't play much. I expect De Gea to be captain on the field if he signs a new contract.

Same goes for Pogba - if he stays and gets an extension with improved wages, Ole will make sure to get him motivated by making him captain. Although I find that to be a bit embarrassing for the club but it's the position our fecking shite board and owners have us in, due to their incompetence and greed.
Rooney was made captain after courting Manchester City.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's a pretty pathetic list when you look at it, with an average centre back leading the vote.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Only player on that list who's an automatic selection is De Gea but dear God we've had some horrible luck with captains since Keane retired. Only Rooney was moderately serviceable when he got the arm band.
WTF? Gary Neville? Vidic? And they're the ones who were officially named as club captain. The likes of Giggs and Ferdinand also often donned the armband. I'd put all of those ahead of Rooney

el3mel

What do people see in De Gea to give him the armband ? Great performance aside, he'll be a pretty bland captain to have.