Votes: 26 6.0%
  • Mata

Votes: 28 6.5%
  • Smalling

Votes: 37 8.5%

• Total voters

Web of Bissaka

1. De Gea the First *new contract sign only.*
2. Pogba *once he clean up his acts and build-up his reputation again. Big ask, unlikely to happen. Our best one left, atm, who got best leadership skills when turn on.*

Short term (seniors, one season at most, no need for them to play every single games)
4. Smalling
5. Mata
6. Matic
7. Young

8. De Gea the Second *less than one year contract left*

Long term (perhaps not upcoming season, Season 20/21 maybe the earliest, depends on these players)
9. Lindelof
10. McTominay *maybe, if he keep up improving and putting in a shift.*
------
11. Rashford *who knows, not much choice atm but just maaaybe. At times he step-up and have the "presence".*
12. Shaw *long shot.. but his performance overall last season is him taking it up a notch and there were few games he stepped up and helped us win games. Let's see.*

The rest need to step-up.

EDIT: 3rd option should be Smalling Beast mode, who knows if he get back to that form next season consistently, surely that'll improve his reputation. His normal mode is the next least preferred option.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

:nervous: Lindelof leading?

Wonder if it'll change as we go along the next season..
Lindelof's biggest issues when he arrived was confidence, I think he will only improve now he has that.

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

This is a great thread for bringing the awful reality to the fore. I was just saying to a mate yesterday how I don't feel any real connection or fondness for any of these players in this squad. And a lot of that is to do with the lack of leadership qualities. There's a big characteristic that all my favourite players from the past have in common - and that is that they were all 'real men' for lack of a better phrase. Men you felt United were in safe hands with before every game. Men who would be able to hold their own against any rival and who would unconditionally have the backs of their team mates. Schmeichel, Bruce, Cantona, Hughes, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Rio, Rooney, Vidic. All guys with big hearts and even if they had a rare bad game footballing wise, they would give their absolute all in terms of fight and urging the best from the rest of the team. When was the last time you saw a United player lay into a team mate for a silly mistake or for not giving 100%? It just doesn't happen anymore because we don't have men who are capable of it. Then again, even if we did have, the person on the other end of it would probably cry and ask to be subbed off in this fecking snowflake era we find ourselves in. Ander Herrera should have that armband secured along with a 5 year contract but nope, we let him leave for free and are now left with those pitiful choices you see in the poll. What a mess we are in.

Reactions: Sultan

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
IMO De Gea (or any other keeper) should not be captain. For me, the captain needs to be an outfield player. If someone needs to talk to the ref in the offensive third De Gea isn't about to run 2/3 of the pitch to get a word in. He can be a leader in the dressing room, but not a captain on the field...

As for Pogba, I wish he never came back. I didn't like his attitude in his first stint with the club. He was young and demanding more playing time in the first team. You don't demand more playing time, you earn it. And it's not like SAF wasn't going to give him more chances as he matured. I was 100% behind SAF letting him go and when he made his return I just hoped that he would be a different person. Unfortunately he isn't. He has all the talent in the world but he is anything but a leader. I don't want him at the club, never mind making him captain...

As for who would be a good captain? I'm not sure. Young gets it but he shouldn't be a first 11 player anymore. In fact, I would like to see him back playing in his natural position on the RW when he does play, but that should be substitute appearances along with the odd rotation. So who does that leave? Who is a first team player that has the right stuff? Perhaps Lindeloff? Maybe Rashford? It's a tough call. We need characters on this team and from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like any of them are captain material...

Grande

Depressionmongers aside, I think De Gea, Pogba and Rashford are all suggestions that, at their best, will probably contribute more leadership without the armband. De Gea commands the defence less than most keepers, he seems to prefer to concentrate on the ball, he leads by being in form and provide assurance with saves, and he’s tended to make more of those with less pressure on him. Rashford leads by example with effort, initiative and focus, but his decisionmaking for himself is his biggest challenge, he shouldn’t concentrat on more than that IMO. Pogba, if he stays, has shown many leadership skills except the most important one for me: he dropps his head when things are not going well. He’s shown time and again that he can’t control his attitude well when things are going south, and that’s the one time a captain may make a difference.

Young I believe has attitude and fight in him, he probably shows the standards in training and professionality even if not in quality. As he’ll hopefully be more of a fringe player, I guess he might be more efficient as a culture instigator, similarly Mata.

Smalling struggles when he has to think too much.

Herrera would have been good, thank you Woodward, and Matic if he was younger and not so seemingly shy. A new player I don’t think.

For me the best candidate is Victor Lindelöf, not because he is best, or even a guaranteed starter. More because he has shown ability to both be levelheaded and angry at the same time, and he’s shown he can suffer setbacks and keep his head down, he can make mistakes and still dare to tell others where to stand. He’s the only one I think is going to take an extra step up given the armband, and who is going to be more efficient having it.

peridigm

If we give it to Smalling it is just admitting that he will be a starter most of the time and we can't let that be the case.
“We” have no say in it. Not saying I like it or want it. Just my opinion on who I think would get it.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I would quite like McTominay, seems a really good character and improving all the time. How old was Henderson when he got the Liverpool armband?

Last edited:

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
People saying Lindelof is most vocal annoys me. Not because it isn't true, but because that is how desperate we are now. I mean the great teams of the premiership have had leaders all over the team. I don't have to name players but we did for our various championship winning teams, Chelsea did, Arsenal's invincibles did, you could name 7 or 8 players from each of them teams that were captain material. This thread just merely highlights the dire straits we are in. Personally I do think we would be best selling a dream to a new signing, how they can come i, be captain and lead us into a new era, possibly Maguire, not the best but would at least lead in the dressing room and be vocal on the pitch.

Should of bit the bullet after messing up the the Ole contract, sacked him, thanks, nice pay off and payed whatever to get Poch and Harry Kane in (Captain), Erikson maybe and Alderweireld for good measure.

Reactions: Sultan

NJM78

Has to be Longstaff when he arrives. Seriously though what a riveting list that is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Young is the only obvious shout with Lindelof as vice to me since Young is just not starter in my opinion. And it looks so terrible.

Thus, why we need to sign a good potential captain for future. Bruno or Maguire.

SER19

Young will likely remain club captain, though hopefully won’t play much. So weekly captain, it’s tough. I’d be tempted to give it to a new signing if I thought we were getting anybody good, or give it to one of the players to fit solskjaers mould, possibly even Rashford.

Smalling a candidate.

Reiver

If ever there was a poll that summed up our current situation, this is it. What a shower of shite to pick from as our club captain.

RRCE

If ever there was a poll that summed up our current situation, this is it. What a shower of shite to pick from as our club captain.
You hit the nail on the head. It’s a sad state of affairs when it’s a struggle to pick out a single player suitable for the captaincy. I hate to add to the negativity, as there’s more than enough of that, but I miss the days when I actually liked the majority of the first team roster. Hopefully Ole can change that over the next few windows.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ashley Young is the captain.
Sure, we'd like him to be gone, but that won't be happening anytime soon. It sucks, but we need to get used to it.

foolsgold

i don't like keepers are captains, there's not may obvious picks.

If they play, then Matic or Mata, otherwise maybe Luke Shaw or Vic ??

Snafu17

It's going to be Young. Vice captain is a bit more interesting but that can change over the course of the season anyway.

Sing you a song

Pogba please.
Why on earth would we even consider Pogba for captaincy if he stays ( and please god he doesn’t ) it will only be because we have offered him an even stupider amount of money to stay or because none of the other big clubs are stupid enough to want him to pay the fee we want .
It certainly won’t be because he loves the club and is desperate to stay .
Can’t think of a worse role model for the youngsters or a worse statesman for the club can’t wait to get rid and draw a line under the whole look at me saga

Ekeke

Lindelof's biggest issues when he arrived was confidence, I think he will only improve now he has that.
As well as form and consistency. He made mistakes too I guess that part he mostly corrected for a few months last season, but the form went from bad to good to bad again.

Allas8

Why on earth would we even consider Pogba for captaincy if he stays ( and please god he doesn’t ) it will only be because we have offered him an even stupider amount of money to stay or because none of the other big clubs are stupid enough to want him to pay the fee we want .
Can’t think of a worse role model for the youngsters or a worse statesman for the club can’t wait to get rid and draw a line under the whole look at me saga
Maybe Pogba will step up if we give him the captaincy, usually good leaders do. Maybe being captain is what Pogba needs to put the team ahead of him self? Would not be surprised to see Pogba tried out with the captains armsband during pre-season, as our success next season largely depends on Pogba anyway.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Voted Lindelöf in the absence of McTominay.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

That's the way the club rolls now. PR gimmicks and profits over football.

FrenchRed

Lindelof - bonus points for the rear naked choke hold attempt on Pogba in the video

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
De Light... yeh right. Has to be Victor for me. Bring back the days of Steve Bruce

MUFC OK

As well as form and consistency. He made mistakes too I guess that part he mostly corrected for a few months last season, but the form went from bad to good to bad again.
I mean, lets not pretend that the three aren't linked. he looked nervous to me but good performances against the likes of Ronaldo, Mbappe seemsed to build his confidence and then form and consistency came. he barely put a foot wrong after that.

StrettyEnder07

Assuming De Gea signs his new deal, I think he has more than earned it, leader on the pitch and vocal off it, would make a top captain in my eyes and well deserved.

If he doesn't sign his new deal, Lindelof for me is the only viable outfield option. After his dodgy 9/10 months, he has been one of our best performers constantly and I can see him having a very big season this year, the fact that Barca are sniffing around him shows how much he has come in over the last 12 months or so.