• Young

Votes: 26 6.0%
  • Mata

Votes: 28 6.5%
  • Smalling

Votes: 37 8.5%

• Total voters

TRUERED89

Lindelöf, rest are complete numpties when it comes to leadership/being vocal/leading by example.. Next option would be De Gea; although being vocal isn't one of his strengths, but he can certainly lead by example when he's not having an absolute mare..

Renegade

DDG if he resigns. He actually knows what it takes to win a league title and will be our most senior 1st team player. Been our best player for almost 5 years.

Still a fairly weak choice but better than any alternative.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Lindelöf, rest are complete numpties when it comes to leadership/being vocal/leading by example.. Next option would be De Gea; although being vocal isn't one of his strengths, but he can certainly lead by example when he's not having an absolute mare..
This is it right here.

Eli Zee

DDG if he resigns. He actually knows what it takes to win a league title and will be our most senior 1st team player. Been our best player for almost 5 years.

Still a fairly weak choice but better than any alternative.
I read that as “DDG if he resigns” as in retires or quits voluntarily... so funny that resign and re-sign mean complete opposites but are the same word.

Also I agree. My first choice would be Lindelof followed by DDG

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba or Lindelöf.

Think Shaw has it in him too.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we are talking about purely leadership qualities I think it should be McTominay. He may be young but he exudes captaincy material.

But realistically it's gonna be Young named club captain with Smalling/DDG as vice captain.

Teja

For me, jury's still out on Lindelof. He's had a good run for maybe half a season. Pretty much every one of our CBs has had a purple patch for longer than that - remember when Rojones was a thing?

If you require a Utd captain to be actually good in their role on the pitch, then De Gea is the only logical choice (or maybe not after last season). If it's a dressing room / squad influence / leadership thing (Rooney was pretty influential in the dressing room for several years after his performances on the pitch turned to shit), I don't think there's anyone in the current squad who can be a good captain. Maybe Pogba if we can convince him to stay and not flirt with RM.

Le Red

The first thing I look in a captain is who takes the club seriously, which Lindelöf seems to.

davidmichael

Maguire when he signs, he’s a natural leader and will be a guaranteed starter. I much prefer the captain to be a centre back or a central midfielder so if we get Pogba back on side long term then it’s him or Maguire for me.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Fairly silly poll. I mean Matic and Pogba are both obvious candidates for starters.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Really? Not sure about that.

I only see Young keeping the captaincy until Maguire is given it next season. I don't see any other candidates and if Ole gives it to Pogba then he needs his head checking.
Not at all. I suspect football inside a dressing room is very different from the emotions of fans, who immediately hate a player who decides he doesn’t want to stay for life.

The reality to me, is that Pogba is the most natural leader in the dressing room. He is two levels above his teammates, and is the player we look to to win us games. He may want to leave, but until he does, he’s a Manchester United player. That’s all that matters. At any given time, the squad that is here should be assessed in the present. Every game our players give the ball to Pogba and hope he does something. He is the de facto leader armband or not. If there are doubts that he is committed while he is here, he shouldn’t be on the pitch. If we can trust him with the shirt, we can trust him with the armband.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not at all. I suspect football inside a dressing room is very different from the emotions of fans, who immediately hate a player who decides he doesn’t want to stay for life.
100% agreed. I just don't think Pogba will be here by the end of next season and most in the dressing room will either already know this or will soon enough. My opinion is the captaincy should be given some stability and not to someone who is already eyeing up a move away. Just my opinion dude.

If we can trust him with the shirt, we can trust him with the armband.
We don't have much choice other than to trust him in the shirt, that doesn't mean we should trust him with the armband. Pogba (from the outside) seems to be not only able to lift his team mates but more worryingly has the potential to affect them negatively.

romufc

I wouldn't be comfortable with Lindelof as captain. Doesn't strike me as a leader at all. Also a pretty average player. De Gea makes the most sense if he stays but in truth this is an area where we're lacking big time. I can understand why Young is the default choice
This post has actually made me laugh, saying Lindelof doesn't strike you as a leader, and in the same sentence saying De Gea should be captain. That about De Gea over the years has struck as a leader?

UpWithRivers

Is Pogba really the ahole that the press make him out to be? If he is then why is the club and Ole backing him, or is it just a ploy to get more money for him? I get he wants to leave but so did Rooney and everyone forgave him. Fans forget easily and a few good results and they will change their minds. Point being is if he stays then give it to him. There is no one better. Ole should say heres the arm band and take Utd back to where it belongs and become a legend. He can do it. That I have no doubt - if he wants to.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Herrera :(

Pogba doesn't have the maturity nor commitment to the club, otherwise he'd be perfect. The captain needs to be an absolute starter, so that removes Young and Smalling.

Right now, I'd go with de Gea as captain & Lindelof as vice.

Luke Shaw could be a dark horse. Tuanzebe and McTominay could be potential future captains if they develop into starters, and that's a big if.

Dazzmondo

This post has actually made me laugh, saying Lindelof doesn't strike you as a leader, and in the same sentence saying De Gea should be captain. That about De Gea over the years has struck as a leader?
I don't think we have any good leaders but at least de Gea is one of our best players. Don't believe any of our players suit the captain role frankly. Not sure what exactly made you laugh. What about Lindelof over the years has struck as a leader?

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Matic or Young if they were regulars or if he was committed Pogba are the obvious choices. I don't know what people see in Lindelöf as a leader. He's too much of a nice guy to be a captain.

DeGea

Should the club let the players pick a captain themselves? I know Pep said this today for City, but I have always thought that it would be a good exercise for the team to actually reflect upon each other and themselves and pick a captain themselves.

Based Adnan

Should the club let the players pick a captain themselves? I know Pep said this today for City, but I have always thought that it would be a good exercise for the team to actually reflect upon each other and themselves and pick a captain themselves.
Barcelona do this as well iirc. They also have several 'captains' with 1 main one.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if Rashford stops sometimes acting like more of a dick than he probably is, he can carry a lot on his back and he is certainly smart and vocal enough to embrace the role if trusted upon him. This might not be the right time though, or maybe its exactly that.

luke511

McTominay has potential to be one in the future if his progression as a footballer continues as well as it is doing. At the moment Pogba should be captain just because he's a notch better than anyone else, if we had a leader in the starting XI they'd get it over Pogba but we don't.

Jacob

Lindelöf or Pogba. Lindelöf is the better leader but I feel the players are looking up to Pogba.

romufc

I don't think we have any good leaders but at least de Gea is one of our best players. Don't believe any of our players suit the captain role frankly. Not sure what exactly made you laugh. What about Lindelof over the years has struck as a leader?
The reason over the years De Gea hasn't been given the captaincy is clear he is not a natural leader.
If you watch United games after they have finished, conceded a then you would know what Lindelof has a leader. He is well respected in the dressing room as well. However, nowhere in my post have I mentioned Lindelof being the leader and captain. I was trying to say De Gea is no more a leader than Lindelof is.

NJM78

There is not one captain between these useless fecks.

Give it to Maguire.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Can we have Maguire as an option in the poll? I'd change my vote.