Carabao Cup 2020/21

Okey

Could have been worse I guess, but gosh we have some rotten luck with draws. Two rough ines in a day! Hope Woody and co saw the UCL draws. We need reinforcements now more than last week!

DavidDeSchmikes

Talking about him like he should be thinking of leaving already. I bet he's never seen him play. He certainly doesn't know what position he'd play if he thinks he'll play deeper than Thiago.
a little bit or research wouldn't have gone amiss, i swear some of these pundits just make it up as they go along

AshRK

You mean when we bent over and got pumped with 5-6 goals every away game to Liverpool, City or Chelsea? I don't think that was fun for Arsenal fans.

I'd be worried if he was playing this way with Cazorla, Ramsey, Sanchez, prime Ozil etc on his side. But he's got Elneny, Xhaka, Willock and a bunch of pacey wingers. Its actually genius the way he's set up the team to maximize chances of winning.
It's sad how much disrespect wenger gets from arsenal fans. Yes latter year wenger did lose bad and should have stepped down after the 2014 FA cup win but you guys still won FA cups which you lot are celebrating as if it's a CL. You guys are still getting thumped by liverpool and city (3-0) under Arteta. I have already said arteta deserves credit for organizing their defense but by doing that he has also made you guys look boring. That was my point. You guys under Wenger in his latter stage still used to get some amazing results playing good football (3-0 win against van gaal's united was pretty amazing). It's just that your fans have become extra protective towards arteta (which by the way is absolutely fine and I wish our fans can do with Ole)

NJM78

Everton are serious this season and we struggle against them at Goodison anyway, with games coming thick and fast and our piss poor squad depth I think we'll be knocked out.

Not huge as only the CC but I can't see us winning any other trophy either especially with our shite window thus far.

AshRK

Everton are serious this season and we struggle against them at Goodison anyway, with games coming thick and fast and our piss poor squad depth I think we'll be knocked out.

Not huge as only the CC but I can't see us winning any other trophy either especially with our shite window thus far.
Shite window and now add shite luck with draw.

edcunited1878

It's not who you play, it's when you play them....Everton would fancy playing United now, not in 2 months time.

Hopefully the people who dismissed the previous two League Cup performances and results aren't all suddenly doom and gloom about this match up because now they care because it's against Everton...Ole's first real test bs merchants.

ti vu

Would you rather have City, Chelsea or Arsenal (...maybe Arsenal)
Not City Chelsea.

This Arsenal over Everton.

Arsenal is in EL. There would be more chance they would have to field very weak team come that time of the season. Also it's not death and life game for them, given Arteta already won FA Cup, while Ancelotti is more likely push for it.

City would be worst, Spurs and Chelsea would be as bad as Everton. So there you go.

Last edited:

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
It's sad how much disrespect wenger gets from arsenal fans. Yes latter year wenger did lose bad and should have stepped down after the 2014 FA cup win but you guys still won FA cups which you lot are celebrating as if it's a CL. You guys are still getting thumped by liverpool and city (3-0) under Arteta. I have already said arteta deserves credit for organizing their defense but by doing that he has also made you guys look boring. That was my point. You guys under Wenger in his latter stage still used to get some amazing results playing good football (3-0 win against van gaal's united was pretty amazing). It's just that your fans have become extra protective towards arteta (which by the way is absolutely fine and I wish our fans can do with Ole)
I don't know which Arsenal you are watching mate. Yes they still have weaknesses and the soft belly shows up once in a while. But right now they are the best at playing out from the back, and for the first time they can change their formation and system during the game whereas Wenger always stuck to the same style even when it's not working. In the short time he has been in charge Arteta has beaten all top teams except Spurs and won two cups yet you trash him?

Last edited:

ti vu

We need to start rotate the side smartly in the league. Give Van De beek games instead of Bruno.
Let Fred take the defensive role etc.
Fullback rotation might be a problem though, but they have no international games at least.
We have some central defenders we can rotate too although Maguire has proven to be able to play a lot.
Forwards position also.

Clearly as right now, we don't have the depth and that extra bit of quality. The way we get tired under Ole, every other 3rd/4th month, I am not optimistic about rotation. League games are so important, not to focus in. Players want to play in CL, even if managers secretly ain't enthusiastic when the odd Is piling up. So there is really little option to rotate with such gap in quality in many of our positions.

This season, the congested schedule is abnormal. More so than the run in of this past season. No pre season to boost. It shouldn't be naively comparing to any other seasons.

Last edited:

AshRK

I don't know which Arsenal you are watching mate. Yes they still have weaknesses and the soft belly shows up once in a while. But right now they are the best at playing out from the back, and for the first time they can change their formation and system during the game whereas Wenger always stuck to the same style even when it's not working. In the short time he has been in charge Arteta has beaten all top teams except Spurs and won two cups yet you trash him?
Jeez no one is trashing arteta, no need to be touchy. I just don't think they are playing some amazing football or a beautiful football which some want to pound into the face of fans. I have already given him his due credit and think he has done a very good job.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Jeez no one is trashing arteta, no need to be touchy. I just don't think they are playing some amazing football or a beautiful football which some want to pound into the face of fans. I have already given him his due credit and think he has done a very good job.
I couldn't care less about Arsenal, I'm not an Arsenal fan so I don't have to be touchy. I just didn't find much sense in your critique of Arteta. You may not find his football attractive but it is effective and that's infinitely more important. He has managed 33 games and only lost 7, and has won 10 of his last 11 games. And for a manager who is only a few months into his first job that by any standards is a very good record.

AshRK

I couldn't care less about Arsenal, I'm not an Arsenal fan so I don't have to be touchy. I just didn't find much sense in your critique of Arteta. You may not find his football attractive but it is effective and that's infinitely more important. He has managed 33 games and only lost 7, and has won 10 of his last 11 games. And for a manager who is only a few months into his first job that by any standards is a very good record.
And where did I say it is not effective or he has done a bad job. You said I trashed him when I never trashed him but just found his football boring (which you also agreed in your post). You are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Has arteta done a good job? Yes
Has he improved arsenal's defense? YES
Does his side play attractive or pleasing to eye football? No.

Don't know what is so hard to disagree. If someone feels they play scintillating football then I will just agree to disagree.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
And where did I say it is not effective or he has done a bad job. You said I trashed him when I never trashed him but just found his football boring (which you also agreed in your post). You are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Don't know what is so hard to disagree. If someone feels they play scintillating football then I will just agree to disagree.
I never agreed that his football is boring, I mentioned how well he plays out from the back. I also said YOU may not find his football attractive, but it's effective and producing results and that's all that matters in football. Arteta is managing a football team, not the Harlem Globetrotters.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
fecking hell. Anyone would think we'd drawn Bayern the way people are going off :lol:

Judas

Open to offers
I'm not going into meltdown because the game is in December, who knows the form of us or Everton by then? Both or one team could be totally destroyed by injuries, its bloody ages away.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

It’s true that the football under Arteta has been relatively boring compared to what we were used to under Wenger. I don’t know if that is Arteta’s style because he’s only been in management for all of 2 minutes but I’m willing to give him the benefit of doubt and believe that he’s being pragmatic because we simply lack the players to play a more open attacking style. I would like to believe that Arteta will eventually deliver the kind of football you would associate with his mentors like Wenger and Pep when he has the players to do so. Until then I’m happy to make do with boring football as long as it delivers our objectives.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
fecking hell. Anyone would think we'd drawn Bayern the way people are going off :lol:
Crazy isn't it - "This will just be another easy draw for City while we get Chelsea or something", then City get Arsenal and you get a midtable PL side, "ffs first the CL nightmare draw and now this!" :lol:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Crazy isn't it - "This will just be another easy draw for City while we get Chelsea or something", then City get Arsenal and you get a midtable PL side, "ffs first the CL nightmare draw and now this!" :lol:
It's absolutely ridiculous

Havak

Pokemon master
I hope we go for this fully now to be honest. I expected a tougher game from Brighton but now that we've gotten through with almost entirely second string I'd go closer to full strength against Everton (particularly if we get a few new signings in). I think our first XI could do with some additional tough games to get up to speed anyway.

That said, the games are scheduled for December. It looks like this fixture could only be between either West Ham / Man City or Leeds / Leicester... So not exactly ideal.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
We got beat 3-1 against Liverpool which wasn't easy for them and we played city after the covid break where we had 2 players get injured in the first 25 mins. But in his short time here he's played Liverpool and City 6 times and won 4 of those games which is pretty extraordinary given the gulf in quality.

We haven't started to look boring with Arteta coming into the club. I understand it might seem that way if you're not an Arsenal supporter and following the team regularly but actually, we've been playing this way a year before Arteta given that we lost creative players as I mentioned, and replaced them with pacy wingers and average midfielders.

Our average goals scored in the PL in the second half of 2018/19 and the first half of 2019/20 before Arteta was 1.33. Since Arteta, our average has increased to 1.65. The fact is Arteta has been playing with a team he inherited. It's premature to make conclusions about his style of play now when he's forced to start Elneny and Xhaka in midfield.

PoTMS

Brentford make the last 4. No need for the semi-final draw. City lie in wait for them.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Call me a newcastle fan with unrealistic expectations but I feel like we should be able to put up a fight with a full strength lineup against a championship team who made 7 changes.

I know, I know. pie in the sky stuff. #bruceOut

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Call me a newcastle fan with unrealistic expectations but I feel like we should be able to put up a fight with a full strength lineup against a championship team who made 7 changes.

I know, I know. pie in the sky stuff. #bruceOut
How was the match then? 'Should be able to put up a fight' sounds like Brentford were well on top of you the whole time.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That City line up is much stronger than I expected. But still, the perfect game for Arsenal to pick themselves up. If they get a win tonight it will paper over a few cracks. If Arteta survives this season, I expect to see quite a number sold/released in the summer.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You just know Arsenal will win tonight and it'll take away some pressure from Arteta.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I wish we'd went with a weaker squad against Arsenal tonight, The game could go either way regardless and playing our only half fit striker in the Carling Cup is insane. I really wish Pep would learn to disrespect this competition as much as other managers, fecking foreigner coming over here pissing on great British traditions