Carlo Ancelotti | Real Madrid manager

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Dog shit again today

take away DCL and Richarlison and this team would be in a relegation battle. Ok maybe Digne too.

midfield is atrocious, centre backs are awful. Coleman hasn’t been the same since his bad injury and their keeper.. Eugh

arthurka

His style of play is absolutely turd level..
Just don't understand his setup.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought they were a total disgrace today.

The overall stats don't look that bad but towards end of first half Bournemouth had 70% possesion, 5-1 shots on target and 7-1 shots off target. They also had 5 corners to Everton's 0.

When you look at it that good run under Big Dunc and then in Ancelotti's first month pretty much saved them from relegation as the form for other 7 months must've been very close to bottom 3 standard considering you were 18th when Silva got sacked.

It's a shame as likes of Silent Witness on here are good lads so I feel bad slagging off their team but there's seriously something wrong with the mentality at that club considering they've spent 200m + in last few years.

Zoo

50 points behind Liverpool. That’s brutal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Must be tough to be an Everton fan. They just seem to have had fairly average to poor seasons going back 30 years now, with maybe a couple of Moyes seasons and that 95? FA cup win as rare highlights.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Must be tough to be an Everton fan. They just seem to have had fairly average to poor seasons going back 30 years now, with maybe a couple of Moyes seasons and that 95? FA cup win as rare highlights.
They were very consistant under Moyes. Regular top 6/7 finishes without ever taking that final step but could spot a bargain like Arteta or Cahill which really seems to elude them now and they just sign the latest premier league flavour of the month or someone out of favour at a top 6 club.

Apart from the first Martinez season they've been pretty poor for a while without being quite bad enough to be in a serious relegation battle.

Ancelotti really is their last roll of the dice given his managerial experience. Not sure who they'd appoint if he can't get them off to a good start next season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thought they were a total disgrace today.

The overall stats don't look that bad but towards end of first half Bournemouth had 70% possesion, 5-1 shots on target and 7-1 shots off target. They also had 5 corners to Everton's 0.

When you look at it that good run under Big Dunc and then in Ancelotti's first month pretty much saved them from relegation as the form for other 7 months must've been very close to bottom 3 standard considering you were 18th when Silva got sacked.

It's a shame as likes of Silent Witness on here are good lads so I feel bad slagging off their team but there's seriously something wrong with the mentality at that club considering they've spent 200m + in last few years.
Nothing to play for today. Not fussed about the result as it’s just shown us the same problems we all know since lockdown. I’m pleased that Kean had a relatively good game and it’s happened when he’s been given a start - I’ve been scathing of him at times but every time that he starts he actually plays well. He’s just rubbish when he gets 10 mins at the end of a game.

Pickford absolutely needs to go now though, he’s a disgrace.

Ancelotti has done well considering what he’s working with, I don’t think that many or anyone else could have done a better job with a side that has one of the worst midfields in the league (it’s gotten that bad).

el3mel

Yeah I think Carlo is doing rather well there in terms of results. However Carlo isn't really one of those managers that are known to have certain style of play. He's similar to Mourinho in this regard that they both play with what they have rather than having a system, and it worked for both in their careers but of course gonna be a problem with less quality players.

I don't expect him to play good football here at all but I can see them finishing in top 10 next year which should be decent I guess.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Do you not want to finish in top half though? Not just today but you were terrible v Wolves and also us. Seemed to pick it up with a good win at Sheffield United but back to your bad old ways today albeit against a team that simply had to win.

I do think with the very quick season turnaround it's a bit risky for a team just to sack off the end of season. You look at the form Southampton have been in. I'd back them to be above Everton after 10 games next season. Maybe Burnley aswell but depends on Dyche staying.

Interesting to see how you sign anyway. Can't really see Hjojberg being the answer.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Nothing to play for today. Not fussed about the result as it’s just shown us the same problems we all know since lockdown. I’m pleased that Kean had a relatively good game and it’s happened when he’s been given a start - I’ve been scathing of him at times but every time that he starts he actually plays well. He’s just rubbish when he gets 10 mins at the end of a game.

Pickford absolutely needs to go now though, he’s a disgrace.

Ancelotti has done well considering what he’s working with, I don’t think that many or anyone else could have done a better job with a side that has one of the worst midfields in the league (it’s gotten that bad).
Do you think that Ancelotti can make things happen in a side where he won’t have the same quality as in any of his other jobs?

I think it’s a really interesting situation and will be keeping an eye on your summer business.

It’s a whole different job though between keeping Shevchenko, Kaka and Cafu happy and motivated to trying to get goals out of Calvert-Lewin and working out what to do with Gylfi Sigurdsson.

What are the potential targets for the summer bar Hojbjerg?

Pep's Suit

Such a nothing team, it's hilarious when their fans act like Everton has any relevance.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Do you not want to finish in top half though? Not just today but you were terrible v Wolves and also us. Seemed to pick it up with a good win at Sheffield United but back to your bad old ways today albeit against a team that simply had to win.

I do think with the very quick season turnaround it's a bit risky for a team just to sack off the end of season. You look at the form Southampton have been in. I'd back them to be above Everton after 10 games next season. Maybe Burnley aswell but depends on Dyche staying.

Interesting to see how you sign anyway. Can't really see Hjojberg being the answer.
Of course, but also trying to be semi-realistic with what is possible with this side. We have had the same problem with United in this period after lockdown where our squad is poor in certain areas so we needed to start players that were nackered (Notably in midfield). In hindsight we should have kept hold of Schneiderlin until the season ended and then let him leave. In terms of Southampton they didn't look great until halfway through the season. They didn't look great last season either. It took around a year for Hasenhüttl to get them to where he wanted them to be playing wise and he's also been able to bring in players that he wants too. Ancelotti hasn't been able to yet. It's too early to fully judge him but early signs are promising considering the variables he's working under right now. This is a side that was in serious danger of relegation under Silva which is easily forgotten given how safe we finished.

Do you think that Ancelotti can make things happen in a side where he won’t have the same quality as in any of his other jobs?

I think it’s a really interesting situation and will be keeping an eye on your summer business.

It’s a whole different job though between keeping Shevchenko, Kaka and Cafu happy and motivated to trying to get goals out of Calvert-Lewin and working out what to do with Gylfi Sigurdsson.

What are the potential targets for the summer bar Hojbjerg?
Difficult to say but he should have the contacts to do so. He did wonders for DCL and Richy before lockdown - after lockdown DCL has been poor and snatching a bit at stuff but I can forgive him for that rustiness as he was crucial to us finishing in a safe position this year.

The biggest rumours so far have been Hojbjerg, Allan (Napoli CM) and Gabriel (CB from Lille). Would love Allan. We should also try sign a RB, Winger and GK. There were rumours we were enquiring about Dalot on loan from you or Tete from Lyon for RB. GK wise we were sniffing around Romero. I think the budget will be there but we will also be trying to snag bargains in places if possible.

The guy who signs the players can't still be in a job, surely?
I think he's done a relatively good job considering he's had to deal with what the ex DOF did with the side and the changing of the managers we've had. He's signed our two best players (Richarlison and Digne) and he's been tirelessly working to get rid of duds that we have signed over the years that nobody wanted (Signed by the ex DOF and previous managers). It's been a pretty unlucky year for our signings. Gomes had a nasty leg break and Gbamin has had two freak long term injuries which aren't easy to predict happening. Iwobi has been a poor signing on what he's shown so far, I understand why he was bought due to versatility though. Delph the same, not too pricey and his versatility makes sense but he's decided to come to the club with a horrible attitude and injury prone. Kean has barely been given a start but when he has started he's played well, he just needs more game time and a midfield behind him that suits him. He didnt suit the system Ancelotti was trying to play with DCL/Richy but he has clear potential.

Gomes - Decent signing.
Gbamin - unsure.
Kean - Great potential.
Iwobi/Delph - Average - Poor.

I think that's a fair assessment of the summer. I think Iwobi can improve to be a good squad player which will be helpful.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So they need a GK, RB, CB, 2 Midfield & 2 Wingers minimum and money is not looking good due to covid19. Feel sorry for Ancelotti.

DeGea

Genuine question, United fan biases aside, is Ancelotti the best manager to have ever managed in the professional game?

League titles in 4 different countries, 3 champions league with 2 different teams, also won the champions league (european cup at the time) as a player twice, finished third in the world cup as a player too, and has been managing for 25 going into 26 years.

Goes and manages teams like Everton and have brought them to the next level. Calvert-Lewin is a completely different player under him.

I don't remember his Juve days very well, but remember some of his Milan tenure when they were really good and since then I don't think he has done a bad job at any clubs he has been. The fact that he can do it in lots of different scenarios with different types of teams makes me wonder whether he is in fact the best ever.

el3mel

Genuine question, United fan biases aside, is Ancelotti the best manager to have ever managed in the professional game?

League titles in 4 different countries, 3 champions league with 2 different teams, also won the champions league (european cup at the time) as a player twice, finished third in the world cup as a player too, and has been managing for 25 going into 26 years.

Goes and manages teams like Everton and have brought them to the next level. Calvert-Lewin is a completely different player under him.

I don't remember his Juve days very well, but remember some of his Milan tenure when they were really good and since then I don't think he has done a bad job at any clubs he has been. The fact that he can do it in lots of different scenarios with different types of teams makes me wonder whether he is in fact the best ever.
No way. Top 10 though. 3 CLs record is great, but his league record is abysmal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

not a chance no

stevoc

Whats any of that got to do with your question?

redrobed

If we could persuade him to join as Ole’s Assistant (not beyond the realms of possibility) it could really cover up some of Ole’s weaknesses - the tactical side of things, etc and provide some strong opposition to Ed over transfers.

DeGea

Whats any of that got to do with your question?
Pedigree as a player, although not critical, does influence respect of players towards a manager in my view (to some degree).

We should know. We have Ole.

el3mel

If we could persuade him to join as Ole’s Assistant (not beyond the realms of possibility) it could really cover up some of Ole’s weaknesses - the tactical side of things, etc and provide some strong opposition to Ed over transfers.
I hope you're joking.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
If he can get Everton to win the league, he might just jump ahead of Mourinho for me as the better manager.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
:lol: Gave me a good laugh.

Why stop at Carlo? We should persuade Klopp to join our coaching staff as throw in coach and get Pep in as our new goalkeeper coach.

Grande

Ancelotti is a very good manager, obviously, and looking at the clibs he’s managed, has had some very good agents - he’s mainly been appointed at top clubs with top teams and top players almost his entire career. He has built very little, and after 18 seasons at Juve, Milan, Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid and Bayern, 4 leagues and 3 domestic cups is a fairly meagre tally to add to the three champions leagues.

He has also coached Parma (reggessed, sacked) and Napoli (sacked after five months) without success. Gaining promotion from Serie B with Reggiana is one of his better league achievements.

To compare him with Sir Alex’ stints at Aberdeen and Man United doesn’t need rose-tinted glasses, though. 2 CLs, 2 other European cups, 16 league titles and 9 domestic cups (not counting league cups). And he built those teams from scratch. And he won promotion with St Mirren.

Still, Carlo is one of the top managers of the past two decades.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Carlo was at Milan for 8 years and won the league once didn’t he?

Sir Alex won the premier league 13 times, many of those consecutively. It’s no contest for me, the league format is always a bigger indicator of consistency then a cup competition.

always_hoping

Too young to remember the classic Juventus 2 Man United 3 Champions league semi final?

bondsname

:lol: :lol: This made me laugh so hard.

KwokSF

I prefer Jose as our assistant coach.

stevoc

Pedigree as a player, although not critical, does influence respect of players towards a manager in my view (to some degree).

We should know. We have Ole.
Perhaps but what bearing does it have in determining whether or not Ancelotti is the best manager of all time?

If anything it's a negative towards the case for Carlo being the best as other managers who weren't great/successful players probably have to work harder/smarter to gain players respect.

If two managers had identical achievements would one be a better manager because they achieved more as a player? In my opinion no it's largely irrelevant.

Wilt

Great idea! ....ask him and then tell us what he said

FujiVice

Stunning as the idea may be, but one of the greatest coaches of all time is getting a tune out of a well backed side. Ancelotti is a class act.

Giggs86

I love this forum :lol:

redrobed

Zola went from manager at Birmingham to assistant at Chelsea. Managers are sometimes willing to step down in ‘title’ in order to step up in club size.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol: No