Carlo Ancelotti | Real Madrid manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everton have just started beating the teams they were expected to beat in August on regular basis.

Suedesi

They played well and created 3-4 good chances in the last 30 minutes. Bad finishing and superb goalkeeping kept them out.

By contrast, we were pretty stale at the Emirates.

Next week’s match at Goodison will be key for our CL aspirations - here’s hoping we avoid another 4-0 drubbing.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He is doing a good job there, my only doubt regarding him on the recent years is that he always has great impact in the first season but on a medium term the performances drop off. Not on the same level of decline as Mourinho though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He is doing a good job there, my only doubt regarding him on the recent years is that he always has great impact in the first season but on a medium term the performances drop off. Not on the same level of decline as Mourinho though.
Hes actually very streaky for a top level manager.

When it's good it can be very good, but when it's bad and you need some kind of tactical inspiration and/or improvisation to fix things it almost never comes. That triple header of defeats Vs United at the end of his tenure still gives me nightmares.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
2 European Cups as a player, 3 European Cups as a manager. Man does not get enough credit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How are people rating him so far then? He's obviously steadied things but can't help noticing they still have an inferiority complex against the better teams despite seemingly spending 200 billion over last few years.

Since he came in they've lost to Liverpool kids in the cup and lost away to Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. Man. United at home was decent performance. Was waiting for a statement of intent type performance from them last night, instead they lose meekly with barely a shot at goal.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How are people rating him so far then? He's obviously steadied things but can't help noticing they still have an inferiority complex against the better teams despite seemingly spending 200 billion over last few years.

Since he came in they've lost to Liverpool kids in the cup and lost away to Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. Man. United at home was decent performance. Was waiting for a statement of intent type performance from them last night, instead they lose meekly with barely a shot at goal.
They play very dull football but I do think the foundations are there to build on, I think DCL and Richarlison have come along very well under him. I think Everton are underperforming relative to the money they spent but when you take a look at what they spent that money on you can sort of see why. Digne and Coleman have the makings of a good full back pairing.

Their midfield needs a lot of work though, it's way below par at the moment. Gomes is probably the best they have and even he's not brilliant, and whoever decided to spend £50m on Sigurdsson needs sacking.

That Everton squad in general has a lot of bloat, some players there just aren't anywhere near good enough. Marcel Brands seems really popular with the Everton fans but I think his signings have been a bit, well, shit.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
@FootballHQ I think he has done a good enough job up to now. I believe we are 5th in the table in terms of points since he took charge of us so that can't be knocked.

I just don't believe these set of players have a statement performance in them against a good team. We really have gathered a squad of duds and the midfield is relegation standard in my opinion. Just take a look at the options we have in midfield :

Sigurdsson is finished as a premier league player, Gomes can't run, Davies can only run , Delph hardly gets on the pitch and Gbamin never does. That is easily the worst set of midfielders i have seen at the club as long as i can remember. Then you have average wide men in Iwobi , Walcott and Bernard and you can see why we can never get a foothold of a game. We basically rely on bypassing the midfield altogether so that DCL and Richarlison can do something our of the blue to create a goal.

The goalkeeper is awful and makes at-least one huge mistake a game. Keane and Mina are to slow to play with each other and probably not good enough to play on the front foot so as a result we sit deep and our right back options are Coleman who cannot attack any more and Sidibe who can't defend.

We need a huge clear out in the the summer again but our players are stuck on big contracts so won't leave, although i think we have started clearing a few like Niasse and Scheiderlain.

Hopefully Ancelloti was promised big funds and he can get rid of the wasters and build the team around Richarlison, DCL and Digne. With Holgate and Gordon looking promising also. I doubt he realised how big of a mess he walked in on to be honest.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Nothing you can do when the creative department of your side is manned by Iwobi, Bernard, Walcott, Sigurdson etc, that's called asking for trouble. Sell that bunch and buy players who can actually get stuff done and the situation will be much better. I reckon Carlo knows that too hence he resorted to playing Gordon.

Pep's Suit

Better than that clown before but their football is terrible combined with hilarious performances against Pool and few other big(ger) clubs.

Pep's Suit

Nothing you can do when the creative department of your side is manned by Iwobi, Bernard, Walcott, Sigurdson etc, that's called asking for trouble. Sell that bunch and buy players who can actually get stuff done and the situation will be much better. I reckon Carlo knows that too hence he resorted to playing Gordon.
True but they need 4-5 XI players plus another 2-3 for squad depth. In this situation that's about two seasons at least before they can realistically challenge for anything meaningful.

RooneyLegend

True but they need 4-5 XI players plus another 2-3 for squad depth. In this situation that's about two seasons at least before they can realistically challenge for anything meaningful.
Sorting out the creative hub of the team will let them know exactly what they have and what they don't have. Right now it's difficult to judge everyone. For example, Davis and Gomes aren't passing the ball to anyone who's going to do anything positive with the ball. It must be soul sapping. The strikers are waiting for productivity that simply doesn't exist.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Largely agree with @BigDunc9 here.

Under Silva we played 15 games and had 14 points. We were in the relegation zone and only 6 points from the bottom of the table.

Big Dunc came in and we got 4 points in 2 games so moved to 18 points after 17 games.

Ancelotti has had 16 games now and is on 44 points. So he's managed 26 points in total since he's been here, almost double the number that Silva did and he's done that without bringing in any of his own players.

Table since then would be:

Liverpool 40
City 31
United 30
Chelsea/Wolves/Southampton 28
Arsenal 27
Everton 26

So we would be in 8th compared to 18th which is a huge improvement.

He knows that our best players are Digne/DCL/Richy so he's trying to play a structured style of football that can play to our strengths aka get it out to the left so Digne can whip it in or direct football to DCL and Richy to play off. We basically have to bypass our midfield because it is so bloody dreadful.

Said it in the other thread but Gomes isn't a player for a midfield 2, he's a jack of all trades and master of none so is better in a 3 where he can be the balance type player like Henderson is at Liverpool. Davies is a sufferer of the young player from youth team syndrome where there aren't many options available so they get a chance in the first team, adrenaline helps them look great for half a season and then once their emotions level out and they become part of the furniture you realise they weren't a world beater after all but just a 'decent player' - see Januzaj at United. You may say, well why not play a midfield 3 then? - Purely because that would negate the strengths that DCL + Richy can bring and they're our best hope at the moment of picking up points each week.

We miss Gueye a lot and it's unfortunate that Gbamin has had two really shite injuries as he was meant to be his replacement. Gylfi needs to go because he is trash. Delph looked like he would be a great utility signing but he decided to come to the club with a stinking attitude and wanting to fight the supporters at every opportunity.

There's no creativity at all from our midfield. I think I read that they have 4 goals and 2 assists between them all this season which is embarrassing.

Worth noting also that the Liverpool, Norwich and Leicester games were all losses under Silva at the start of the season so to convert them from 0 points to 7 points is decent also. You could say we were unlucky in that Liverpool game too.

If you look at the results since he came in the only game we were thumped in was the Chelsea game. I'd say that and the Liverpool Fa Cup game are the only two games I can think of under him that we have been really really poor. The rest I think we've been fairly competitive (albeit shit in some of them because that's the reality of where we are atm).

EDIT: Another thing that I forgot to mention. I really believe in the side of football where there is a culture/energy around certain games. In regards to the Liverpool/Everton fixture for example I believe in the notion that because we haven't beat them in fecking ages there is a dark cloud/nervous energy running through the club whenever that fixture pops up and it doesn't matter who the manager is, that will stay embedded. We've gotten a bit better in terms of our results against bigger sides in general in the past few seasons but there has yet to be a manager that can really turn that negative culture around. That's something that he or another manager needs to try and fix too.

Last edited:

el3mel

He has done brilliant with them so far regarding the result. Showed up he still has the ability to at least grind good results even if the football played is boring, and tbf Everton aren't really known to play the best football anyway.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Their midfield and wide players are poor. There isn’t even something raw like pace there. Iwobi offers absolutely nothing and was a really poor signing. There is no one great there and in games like yesterday they will always lose that battle to the bigger teams.

The need to sign some serious midfielders and a dangerous wide man or two.

They also need to replace Pickford. He is a liability and makes stupid decisions almost every game.

Teja

For some reason he's extremely under rated as a coach. Maybe because he's such a nice guy - wouldn't mind him coaching United at some point.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What is Gomes good at? Always confuses me whenever I see him play

Skeezix

For some reason he's extremely under rated as a coach. Maybe because he's such a nice guy - wouldn't mind him coaching United at some point.
Too late now. Him and Mourinho were my top choice when Sir Alex retired. But now the ship has sailed.
Hope he does well at Everton though, as I have a soft spot for the Club and Ancellotti both.

izec

What is Gomes good at? Always confuses me whenever I see him play
He can keep the ball under pressure. That's about it.

Some overrate him massively, because he can look easy on the eye at times, but he isn't all that. Found his level.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s barely had the chance to really change anything yet, it’s a long job fixing this Everton side, won’t happen for him overnight.

Bojan11

He’s barely had the chance to really change anything yet, it’s a long job fixing this Everton side, won’t happen for him overnight.
Yeah, but is Ancelotti the guy for a rebuild? Most his successful teams are sides that somebody else has built.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, but is Ancelotti the guy for a rebuild? Most his successful teams are sides that somebody else has built.
It’s a different job than any he’s prob had before isn’t it.
He’ll probably get loads of patience because of who he is, in fairness to him I can’t see how he can make this that much worse.

fps

Good point. I imagine the different challenge is part of why they’ve been able to get him in the first place.

AshRK

The first thing he should do is sell bernard and get a better keeper by replacing hart 2.0.

The first thing he should do is sell bernard and get a better keeper by replacing hart 2.0.
Pickford’s days as England’s no. 1 are numbered. Now we have another year until the Euros Southgate needs to give Pope and Henderson the experience they need for one of them to be no. 1.

AshRK

Pickford’s days as England’s no. 1 are numbered. Now we have another year until the Euros Southgate needs to give Pope and Henderson the experience they need for one of them to be no. 1.
Yes but I wouldn't be surprised if southgate keeps on giving Pickford his chance as a sign of loyalty. National managers tend to do this bs.

crossy1686

career ending
They'd have done better appointing Big Dunc and letting him rebuild Everton instead of a manager who doesn't really give a shit where Everton end up in a few years time.

Yes but I wouldn't be surprised if southgate keeps on giving Pickford his chance as a sign of loyalty. National managers tend to do this bs.
I think Pickford would have been no 1 if the Euros were this summer. Hopefully Southgate can see that he can give the other guys games now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everton just don't have any personality. You look at things individually and think he's a decent player e.g. Coleman, Digne, Gomes etc but I dunno collectively it's not there and you see that in their away record v top half teams.