Carlo Ancelotti | Real Madrid manager

redshaw

In 2013 I always thought Carlo would be a top choice for United and would be our manager one day in the coming years or at least be heavily linked.

I wish him well on his double pursuit, he's one hell of a manager.

Korwas

Real Madrid has never won a CL+League double. They last won a Europa Cup+League double in 1958. Legendary season for Real here.

Pintu

2016/17 they did I think?
Yes they did with Zidane. And that was a good run as well, they beat Napoli, Bayern (lucky referring there), and Atletico on their way to the Cardiff final where they defeated Juventus. Back in the good old days when most of our rival clubs were shi**t in the CL (Pep's City lost the Ro.16 to Monaco, while Arsenal was getting trashed 10-2 by Ancelotti's Bayern)... By the way, we won the EL that year and got to face Madrid in the Supercup.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
If he wins the Champions League he will be the first manager in history to win it four times. That's going right back to the inception of the competition (as the European Cup) in the mid 1950s. It would be a major achievement.
People forget too quickly that he won it as a player too. Part of one of the greatest European teams.

OverratedOpinion

He seems to almost effortlessly dance around big egos and potential disasters. We probably should have hired him at some point since Sir Alex retired.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I know this sounds controversial but Carlo has just announced that he will retire from club-level management when he leaves Madrid - even if it is at the end of this season. I don't think this is the kind of motivation that will help us next season. It sounds like Carlo is satisfied with his achievements.
We should be identifying a new coach - someone who is motivated to 'prove' himself, good with integrating kids and can manage big egos. Would love it if Raul got the job.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He was managing sides to Champions League finals almost 20 years ago and here he is, doing it again and winning league titles now. Such an incredible manager. One of the best ever I’d say.

frostbite

I know this sounds controversial but Carlo has just announced that he will retire from club-level management when he leaves Madrid - even if it is at the end of this season. I don't think this is the kind of motivation that will help us next season. It sounds like Carlo is satisfied with his achievements.
We should be identifying a new coach - someone who is motivated to 'prove' himself, good with integrating kids and can manage big egos. Would love it if Raul got the job.
So, Ancelotti doesn't need to prove himself any more and he is just waiting for retirement?

And yet, he eliminated PSG, Chelsea and City and won the league easily! I'd keep him!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you still want Ancelotti replaced for next season? @giorno
I'm not sure. I still believe this team could be the best in the world with someone like Klopp or Tuchel in charge, but on the other hand, for all his stubborness and lack of training intensity and tactical inadequacies, whatever he's doing works, so....

I'd absolutely feck him off for a Klopp. With the managers available this summer, i don't think so

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I mentioned earlier, joke as this may be, but I think is a major reason why he doesn’t get his credit. There is nothing hipster about his football, people treat Guardiola as if he invented football for example, or Klopp is synonymous with a distinct style.

In the Ten Hag thread earlier this season I kept challenging posters who kept stating how Poch would ‘probably join Madrid’ in the summer. Real were top of the league and still in the CL, but again, the respect is often missing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I mentioned earlier, joke as this may be, but I think is a major reason why he doesn’t get his credit. There is nothing hipster about his football, people treat Guardiola as if he invented football for example, or Klopp is synonymous with a distinct style.

In the Ten Hag thread earlier this season I kept challenging posters who kept stating how Poch would ‘probably join Madrid’ in the summer. Real were top of the league and still in the CL, but again, the respect is often missing.
I genuinely loved the way PSG played under him, particularly in the CL. As you said it's not fashionable, it's simple, sound technical Football. That's where I admire him as a coach, his approach is made for technical players, you give him technical players, few runners and he creates a sound team.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If Ferguson decided to move around do you think he would've had a similar career to Ancelotti?

Just a few years ago Carlo seemed fine after an underwhelming spell at Bayern then Napoli and winding up in Everton before being given another chance by Madrid.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For me he has suffered because nowadays a manager seems to need to reinvent football or something to get proper credit. He didn’t pioneer any pressing, or play weird formations etc. so I think people struggle to get his brilliance.
Yep. There is this weird stigma around managers like Carlo, SAF, and even Zidane - if you aren't ostentatious in your style of play, you tend to be underrated a little.

Tweets of this ilk have been circulating around Twitter and it just makes me chuckle. :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I genuinely loved the way PSG played under him, particularly in the CL. As you said it's not fashionable, it's simple, sound technical Football. That's where I admire him as a coach, his approach is made for technical players, you give him technical players, few runners and he creates a sound team.
Indeed, I just don’t think simplicity garners much respect these days. Every fan, pundit, blogger is some sort of pseudo coach and analyst now, and there is some expectation that the best are the best due to some sort of cutting edge coaching. I think there is even evidence of this to a large degree with many people’s attitude to Ten Hag in relation to Pochettino. Since his appointment, this forum has been full of ‘will be perfect for Ten Hag’s football’ or ‘will not be able to play Ten Hag’s football’. Fans are now constantly yearning for football to almost be reinvented.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think that sounds like someone who fancies managing Italy, and is putting down a marker. I don't see any urgency from him in terms of leaving Madrid though.

I really doubt that any of this summer's likely available managers could have done more with the team than him this season. Maybe he's not the man for the team in 5 years time, but I'm not sure I'd see Pochettino for example surviving that long at Madrid - he might not even get through the first year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Indeed, I just don’t think simplicity garners much respect these days. Every fan, pundit, blogger is some sort of pseudo coach and analyst now, and there is some expectation that the best are the best due to some sort of cutting edge coaching. I think there is even evidence of this to a large degree with many people’s attitude to Ten Hag in relation to Pochettino. Since his appointment, this forum has been full of ‘will be perfect for Ten Hag’s football’ or ‘will not be able to play Ten Hag’s football’. Fans are now constantly yearning for football to almost be reinvented.
Strangely enough, I believe that ten Hag approach is the simple one. The way Pochettino want his team to ideally play isn't as simple as people think, it's a bit like Simeone's tactics who are way to complicated and have too many rules, most players can't thrive in it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think that he's similar to Wenger, in that if you give him some good technical players, he won't overload them with tactics, he sets them up well and trusts his players, & the players enjoy playing for him. So, in a good team like Madrid, or PSG, its perfect for him.

Im still unsure how he would have got on at Arsenal for instance, or Utd now, as I feel those teams need more than that.

Im perhaps doing him an injustice as his achievements have been fantastic, but just not sure how he'd get on trying to almost rebuild a club like Klopp has done at Liverpool, or what's needed at Arsenal & Utd.

Smores

Even Fergie got the same shit for a period. The issue is it's difficult to understand why any manager is successful and people can't process that. If it's not laid out in a complex sounding philosophy that's easy to parrot people assume a lack of substance.

Carlo would have done a great job here and he isn't a twat like most managers.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Im perhaps doing him an injustice as his achievements have been fantastic, but just not sure how he'd get on trying to almost rebuild a club like Klopp has done at Liverpool, or what's needed at Arsenal & Utd.
I agree. I even said to an Everton fan on here who said they were hoping he rebuilds their side that they've firmly picked the wrong man if that's what they want.

He's the best at squeezing that little bit extra of already exceptional sides but as soon as that side stagnates and needs rebuilding he looks lost. Both us and Milan looked directionless come the end.

ShinjiNinja26

People always mention Pep and Klopp but never Ancelotti in the same breath. The guys right up there, excellent manager. Could argue he should be rated even higher than Klopp with the amount of trophies he’s won.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
People always mention Pep and Klopp but never Ancelotti in the same breath. The guys right up there, excellent manager. Could argue he should be rated even higher than Klopp with the amount of trophies he’s won.
I'll probably jinx it now with both facing him shortly but Ancelotti and Conte are the two managers that really seem to have Klopp worked out.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Also, he won his first UCL before the rise of Mou; still winning after all these years, a TopTop manager before and during the Mou/Pep/Lucho/Zidane/Klopp/Flick era.

And an absolute class act.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Has to certainly be the manager with the greatest xi of players ever, hard to find anyone with range of players he had the pleasure of managing in his career, the quality is insane.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Wish we had appointed Ancelotti after SAF. Simple. No nonsense appointment. We would have remained a relevant club today.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
So, Ancelotti doesn't need to prove himself any more and he is just waiting for retirement?
His motivation this season was to win his first La Liga making him the only person to have won all top 5 leagues. His motivation was to not be remembered as an Everton flop (recency bias) whose training methods were outdated. Should we really keep a guy who doesn't care where he will be next season onwards?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I really doubt that any of this summer's likely available managers could have done more with the team than him this season. Maybe he's not the man for the team in 5 years time, but I'm not sure I'd see Pochettino for example surviving that long at Madrid - he might not even get through the first year.
100% agree ... its a little disconcerting that I can't think of one realistic alternative to Carlo that I can trust to maintain harmony in the team. I just hope Carlo remains as focused next season, as he was this season.

Canagel

Wish we had appointed Ancelotti after SAF. Simple. No nonsense appointment. We would have remained a relevant club today.
Not even after SAF. I just took a look at his CV on Wiki and we actually could have got him in 2016. LVG's head was already on the line for months, we could have easily patterned a deal with Carlo who was on a 1 year break to take over from 2016. Too bad Woodward the clown was obsessed with Mourinho.

And it's not like we dont back our managers. Imagine if we gave him the money that we gave to Mourinho and Ole? What a failure.