Carlo Ancelotti replaces Maurizio Sarri as Napoli manager | Ancelotti sacked

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I feel like arsenal should be after Allegri, but maybe the glamour of Ancelotti will be too much to resist.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I had no idea they sold Hamsik, weird.
Yeah he went last March to China, was at Napoli since 2007 so wierd to see him not there anymore.

Napoli still got loads of quality in their group but to me their core of Allan-Zielinski-Mertens is lacking a bit of motivation given they pushed Juve so hard over last 3 seasons and seems they regret not cashing in on Koulibaly.

Bojan11

Not the right guy for Arsenal.

They need a rebuild and don’t think Carlo is the man for that. It’s like us hiring Van Gaal. His best days are gone and he’s never been impressive league manager.

Last two jobs he’s been very disappointing to be honest. At Bayern they just seemed to play with little energy and it’s known Carlo doesn’t do much when it comes to training. He doesn’t really push players and is more of a motivator.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not the right guy for Arsenal.

They need a rebuild and don’t think Carlo is the man for that. It’s like us hiring Van Gaal. His best days are gone and he’s never been impressive league manager.

Last two jobs he’s been very disappointing to be honest. At Bayern they just seemed to play with little energy and it’s known Carlo doesn’t do much when it comes to training. He doesn’t really push players and is more of a motivator.
Indeed. He's the man for taking an established team and getting a little bit more but a rebuild? Nah.

He would honestly be a very bad appointment for Arsenal.

crossy1686

career ending
Ancelloti has been accused of being a bit behind the times in his last two jobs (Bayern and Napoli) by players and those at the clubs he's managed. Mainly because he's followed Pep and Sarri but the players from both teams have complained about a lack of intensity in the training sessions. Bayern players even went as far to have secret training sessions behind his back when he'd told them to go home and rest.

He's always relied on his man management skills to get him as far as he has so I can't really see him being the man to take Arsenal forward and rebuild that team.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Aresnal issues are much more then any manager they can hire Pep or Klopp and they'd improve them very little. There management/CEO simply lack ambition.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Waited until he guided them into the last 16 before sacking him.

Ultimately Napoli is more extreme version of Spurs to me. Ultimately the group of players they have achieved lots without actually winning a trophy and they're now at the end of their cycle and need to rebuild. Carlo isn't the man for that, didn't think he was the right choice to follow Sarri anyway.

Not helped by the President seeming to lose his mind for most of this season either.

Guess Ancelotti will be serious contender for Arsenal now.
With that core coming to their end without winning anything feels like Carlo was an attempt to get in a manager proven at getting teams over the line, kinda like JM with the ageing stalwarts in the spurs squad.

DavidDeSchmikes

When was the last time a manager was sacked after a win?
Capello was sacked by Real Madrid 11 days after winning La Liga in 2007 (their last league game was a win)
Eric Black was sacked by Coventry City after a 5-2 win against Gillingham
Real Madrid sacked Vicente Del Bosque 48 hours after winning La Liga in 2003 (their last league game was a win)
Then Nottingham Forest manager Sean O'Driscoll was sacked after a 4-2 win against Leeds on Boxing Day 2012
Tim Sherwood was sacked by Tottenham, 3 days after winning 3-0 against Aston Villa in 2014 (last game of the season)

Blackwidow

Ancelloti has been accused of being a bit behind the times in his last two jobs (Bayern and Napoli) by players and those at the clubs he's managed. Mainly because he's followed Pep and Sarri but the players from both teams have complained about a lack of intensity in the training sessions. Bayern players even went as far to have secret training sessions behind his back when he'd told them to go home and rest.

He's always relied on his man management skills to get him as far as he has so I can't really see him being the man to take Arsenal forward and rebuild that team.
He should have had less problems in Napoli because of the language and culture.

His men-management is more like giving them more freedom on and off the pitch.

Now he can rest again in Canada and go fishing.

Last edited:

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
If we count those that were sacked at the end of the season, then we could name thousands. It's not unusual at all. Milan alone has several in the last decade.

I think what you meant to ask was when was the last time a manager was sacked during the season, after a win.

I don't know if we were the last ones, but it's been 2 months since Giampaolo got sacked after beating Genoa 2-1 away. The performances were so poor that not even 3 points away at the Marassi could spear him from getting the sack during the international break.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
Sacked? Didn't he retire?
He's referring to the 1998 CL final with Real, not 2013 CL final with Bayern Munich.

Heynckess did "retire" after the 2013 treble season, but he was very unhappy with how Bayern handled things and felt pressured to quit when their management went for Pep.

CoffeeFootball

Supports
Milan
Given the answers so far, i feel like this question could be rephrased into something among the lines of:

"When was the last time Real Madrid did something incredibly stupid?".

Edit: As for Carlo doing bad in the league, that's only a half truth. For example when he was at Milan in the early 2000's, the team challenged for both the league and CL, and could have easily won it if Juventus didn't pull the shenanigans back then.

At Chelsea he did very well as well, then Roman went mental and sacked him over a bad patch. Bayern job was a failure, and taking the Napoli job was simply a bad idea. The club's morale is pretty much down after failing over and over again to beat Juventus to the title, and their players have long punched above their weight class.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sarri got sacked just last year by winning the Europa League.

Obviously these type of decisions are decided well in advance.

el3mel

Hiring Gattuso was a stupid decision. I think Carlo deserved to be sacked ultimately but they replaced him with a terrible manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I know the president has been causing issues but I really can't believe how bad Napoli have become.

They have won 1 of their last 12 Serie A game...bar in mind the standard in the bottom half of Serie A is pretty awful this season that's quite some going. To give some context in last 12 AC Milan have won 4.

Looking at last night's 11 they had Manolas, Allan, Zielinski, Callejon, Insigne and Milik all starting. Are they all rubbish/demotivated now as that's still a decent core of players through the spine.