Carney Chukwuemeka…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve mentioned him a few times on here already but as it is the silly season and he has a year left on his deal - I think it’s time for a thread.

Jacob Ramsey has rightly gotten a lot of plaudits this season, but many at the Villa feel Carney is the biggest talent they have. He’s an elegant Pogba-like CM in style - tall, somewhat languid, excellent technical abilities and creative. A different profile to the hard running Ramsey. Gerrard has been introducing him to the first XI over the past season, and I think he’s had some impressive cameos. He’s also been taking the piss for England in the U19 Euros from what I’ve seen.

I reckon Ramsey is more certain to make it as a good/top player due to having a base of ingredients that are tried and tested in England. He runs hard and has great intensity. Carney has a higher ceiling though, although I would say would be more reliant upon the right conditions to achieve his potential. He needs to be in a footballing side for a start.

Anyway, rumours of various clubs interested this summer, and Villa are of course keen to tie him down. One to watch.

pascell

I’ve mentioned him a few times on here already but as it is the silly season and he has a year left on his deal - I think it’s time for a thread.

Jacob Ramsey has rightly gotten a lot of plaudits this season, but many at the Villa feel Carney is the biggest talent they have. He’s an elegant Pogba-like CM in style - tall, somewhat languid, excellent technical abilities and creative. A different profile to the hard running Ramsey. Gerrard has been introducing him to the first XI over the past season, and I think he’s had some impressive cameos. He’s also been taking the piss for England in the U19 Euros from what I’ve seen.

I reckon Ramsey is more certain to make it as a good/top player due to having a base of ingredients that are tried and tested in England. He runs hard and has great intensity. Carney has a higher ceiling though, although I would say would be more reliant upon the right conditions to achieve his potential. He needs to be in a footballing side for a start.

Anyway, rumours of various clubs interested this summer, and Villa are of course keen to tie him down. One to watch.
I remember watching him vs United u18s/23s and he stood out that game, he's got fantastic potential and surprised that he's only got a year left on his deal, although I fully expect Villa to be negotiating a new one as we speak.

Kingslayer18

Very similar player to Bellingham. Given that it looks like Liverpool will get Bellingham next year, it would be worthwhile UTD pushing to see if we can get Carney at a low price considering he has a year left on his deal

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Very similar player to Bellingham. Given that it looks like Liverpool will get Bellingham next year, it would be worthwhile UTD pushing to see if we can get Carney at a low price considering he has a year left on his deal
Arsenal bound it seems, they’ve been very proactive snapping up these cheap deals for young players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m curious to see whether Bellingham is actually better than Hannibal personally. The difference between players like Jude and Carney is the clubs they find themselves at. I think Hannibal is a similar level talent to both. When you are considered the best (alongside Cherki) talent in a country that produces as much quality as France, and cost £10m straight out of the academy at 16, I think it tells you a bt about the profile.

It’s almost impossible for young players to play regularly at this kind of club.

GledTheRed

I’m curious to see whether Bellingham is actually better than Hannibal personally. The difference between players like Jude and Carney is the clubs they find themselves at. I think Hannibal is a similar level talent to both. When you are considered the best (alongside Cherki) talent in a country that produces as much quality as France, and cost £10m straight out of the academy at 16, I think it tells you a bt about the profile.

It’s almost impossible for young players to play regularly at this kind of club.
Bellingham is a huge hype job.

100 million?

dubplate warrior

Bellingham would be starting for us, he's at this moment on another level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bellingham would be starting for us, he's at this moment on another level.
Well obviously, as would most other young players we sign for huge money after they have been given a chance elsewhere that we probably wouldn’t have given them here. I doubt Rooney would have been playing for us weekly at 16 for example. Messi probably wouldn’t have been in our first team at 17 either.

Young players do get to play, don’t get me wrong, but very rarely given a proper opportunity to be an important part of the first team like Bellingham did at Birmingham at 16, and/or Dortmund at 17. Carney hasn’t been a regular for Villa, but he’s gotten far more than the scraps Mejbri has, and that quickly creates the illusion that he is a better player/bigger talent. From how Villa have blooded young midfielders, I find it hard to believe Mejbri would not have played a lot more for their first team had he joined them from Monaco instead of us at 16.

BerryBerryShrew

Well obviously, as would most other young players we sign for huge money after they have been given a chance elsewhere that we probably wouldn’t have given them here. I doubt Rooney would have been playing for us weekly at 16 for example. Messi probably wouldn’t have been in our first team at 17 either.

Young players do get to play, don’t get me wrong, but very rarely given a proper opportunity to be an important part of the first team like Bellingham did at Birmingham at 16, and/or Dortmund at 17. Carney hasn’t been a regular for Villa, but he’s gotten far more than the scraps Mejbri has, and that quickly creates the illusion that he is a better player/bigger talent. From how Villa have blooded young midfielders, I find it hard to believe Mejbri would not have played a lot more for their first team had he joined them from Monaco instead of us at 16.
Agreed. It was disappointing that Ralf didn't make an effort to blood more of the youth at the end of the season when it was apparent that we had nothing to play for. That being said, Carney has had his minutes surprisingly restricted for Villa. I suspect this may have had something to do with his reluctance to sign a new contract as opposed to any lack of ability on his part though. Which is understandable: the last thing a club would want to do is invest in a young prospect (particularly with regard to gametime) only to see him walk out on a free shortly after.

Classical Mechanic

Carney is in the running to be the u19 Euros POTT along with Tchaouna for France but he's not taking the piss. The only England player I've seen do that at a youth tournament was Sancho at the u17 Euros 2017. Carney is the best player in the team but I think a number of others are close to him. The team has only conceded one goal in nine games through qualifying and the group stage. It's a solid team that relies on Carney, Scarlet, Ramsey, Bynoe Gittens, Delap etc to do the business at the other end but the team is built on defensive solidity primarily. Chukwuemeka was very good in the first two group games but was quiet in the last one. He doesn't dominate games but tends to pop up with telling contributions in moments. I think if he's going to be a top player he'll need to be supported a bit like Pogba needs to be. He doesn't have the passing range of Pogba but he is a better goal scorer. I'm not convinced he's as good as Pogba but will need the team to play for him like Pogba does.

I don't think he's that much like Bellingham. Bellingham is much more of a competitor in the middle of the park who likes to press and defend. Chukwuemeka I is a attacking midfielder pretty much exclusively.

This is what Carney is good at

Kingslayer18

As much as the fee that we paid for Hannibal for such a youth talent, Bellingham was holding his own as a 16 year old in the Championship. Hannibal looks comfortable playing mens' football when he turns out for Tunisia, nothing spectacular so far whereas Bellingham is dominating games in the Bundesliga. It's clear Bellingham is the greater talent, I expect Hannibal to have a good career but Bellingham will be one of the best midfielders over the coming decade. I'd love to see both in a UTD midfield in the years to come but not looking likely.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
A third of the Caf can't even spell Eriksen, this one would be painful...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As much as the fee that we paid for Hannibal for such a youth talent, Bellingham was holding his own as a 16 year old in the Championship. Hannibal looks comfortable playing mens' football when he turns out for Tunisia, nothing spectacular so far whereas Bellingham is dominating games in the Bundesliga. It's clear Bellingham is the greater talent, I expect Hannibal to have a good career but Bellingham will be one of the best midfielders over the coming decade. I'd love to see both in a UTD midfield in the years to come but not looking likely.
Disagree. Or at least disagree that this automatically means Bellingham is a different level of talent. All he had to accomplish was being Birmingham’s biggest talent to get a go. That and the fact that physically he was probably more developed than Hannibal too. When speaking of teenagers, it is not particularly important who is in the lead at 16/17 as such in terms of determining the bigger talent. They have not had identical routes, and Hannibal has come through at considerably bigger clubs than Birmingham. I can’t imagine that if Bellingham was going through the same path as Hannibal and we had signed him for £10m from Monaco at 16, we’d have been signing him to put him straight in the first team either. We didn’t do that with Pogba, who was a bigger talent than Bellingham too.

Bellingham has so far been at clubs who have different ambitions and frankly, business models that rely upon the playing of the best young players to raise value. We signed Amad for relatively decent money with a huge rep but didn’t put him straight into the team. He almost certainly would have been if he were at the clubs Bellingham has played for. Bellingham himself ran to Germany and avoided Manchester United because he didn’t fancy his chances of playing, and I dare say Hannibal would have a decent shout of being a Dortmund regular.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Birmingham legend > Villa legend. Fact.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Incredible potential....but he's really not ready to start games at prem level yet. Certainly looks good for England in the age group as he can physically dominate players of his age and also glide past them.

However we started him v Burnley back end of the season and he really didn't get in the game at all so he's where Ramsey was start of 2020 season imo.

No idea with the contract and what his agent is telling him to do but he certainly wouldn't go to Bundesliga and make impact Bellingham has.

Classical Mechanic

He's got a big chance to win the u19 Euros player of the tournament. France suffered a shock defeat against Israel in the semi-final so a good performance in the final should see him win it. He was brilliant in the first two games but quieter in the last group game and semi-final.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just won the u19's scoring the decisive 2nd goal tonight in extra time. Was very unlucky not to score earlier in the game with a very good run and his shot hitting the post. Brilliant talent.

Varun1

Who's the lad that left West Brom's academy then joined Barca I think then went to Villa? Is he living up to the hype?

dbs235

Someone made a Pogba comparison and I totally see it. Wouldn't mind seeing him go abroad for a good pathway. But the thing is it seems like you'll be highly rated but have to come back to England at some point to really prove yourself.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Who's the lad that left West Brom's academy then joined Barca I think then went to Villa? Is he living up to the hype?
Louie Barry is his name.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
Was at Ipswich the first part of last season and didn't get much time. Went to Swindon for the second part and had (iirc) almost a 1 in 2 goal record. Think he gets a League 1 loan this year again

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
He's talented but I think he's one of those who'll struggle to find a place at first team level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's talented but I think he's one of those who'll struggle to find a place at first team level.
Certainly in this country. Has been linked to Barcelona this summer and he could be a star there for sure.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I don't understand why they don't just play him, and try to encourage him that they can be the best place for him to develop for the next few years? If the talent is so outrageous that he can attract those teams, why not play him over a Nakamba, Luiz or rotate with Jacob Ramsey?