Carrick is the answer

Giggs86

Carrick’s reputation is hyperbolic because of an Indian Summer in his career circa 2013, but before that most United fans were underwhelmed by him.
If anything I remember him being slated here during 2010, especially after we went out to Bayern in the CL. But in 2011 he was one of the best players in our title winning side. Remember his 40 yard through balls and assists to Chicharito, he was really world class back then. Also immense during 07-09 and basically running our midfield by himself in Fergie's last season.

I won't say he's massively underrated but to say that most United fans were underwhelmed by him it's pure nonsense. Also the "backpass and sideways" myth which is complete bullshit.

Antonedwin

He's ridiculously overrated on this forum, never really rated him as much as most. He's excellent at passing when under no pressure and dictating play and that's it. I used to be particularly frustrated when he got the ball facing our goal with acres of space to run into if he bothered to turn around but he just returns the ball backwards without even looking. Used to be compared to Busquets on here. Should have left the club 2-3 years ago. :lol:Yeah and like you said Herrera has taken up the mantle capably.

He is better than busquets at least according to pep guardiola. He said carrick is the best DM he ever seen & busquets is a DM
I believe pep knows football more than you

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Of course he’s not the answer. But he’s certainly a useful asset in his last 3-4 months as a player

L1nk

Carrick's clone Julian Weigl would be an interesting buy, younger and more mobile...

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's ridiculously overrated on this forum
Never realised we had such esteemed posters on the caf....

"Carrick gives United balance and can play defensively too. He passes well, has a good shot and is a complete player."
– Xavi on Carrick

"I am a big fan of Michael Carrick. He's one of the best holding midfielders I've ever seen in my life."
- Pep Guardiola on Carrick

“In English football sometimes it seems hard for people to rate those who instead of shining themselves make the team work as a collective. For example Michael Carrick . . . who makes those around him play.”
- Xabi Alonso on Carrick

“Carrick could play for Barcelona, he has good vision and is an intelligent player”.
- Wenger on Carrick

“Not only this season but every year. People do not realise the amount of work Carrick delivers until he has gone."
- Henry on Carrick

"Michael is one of those unassuming quiet guys, who just goes about his job and never gives the ball away. But his range of passing can win you games. He has great potential and is a real Manchester United player."
- SAF on Carrick

"He reads the game so intelligently and protects the back four with interceptions rather than crunching challenges. I think that goes unnoticed sometimes, but he brings a lovely sort of balance to more attacking players. He allows them to go on and get on with attacking, while he takes care of everything else."
- Robbo on Carrick

lsd

The Oracle
Hes a great player and servant of the club but a player who is retiring in a couple monthes is not the answer to anything.

Alexit

He is better than busquets at least according to pep guardiola. He said carrick is the best DM he ever seen & busquets is a DM
According to this report Pep said "one of the best" not the best. Big difference.

"He's one of the best holding midfielders I've ever seen in my life, by far," Guardiola said.
Carrick would be the solution if this was 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Carrick’s reputation is hyperbolic because of an Indian Summer in his career circa 2013, but before that most United fans were underwhelmed by him.
Carrick was our one constant midfielder in the clubs best ever period. He's a great.

DdeGoat

More than 10 years and millions spend, this guy still looks like our best midfielder 95% of the times he plays. Either he is that good or we have forgotten how to buy midfielders since we bought him.

Eriku

His 2012-13 season was absolutely mental. Arguably our best player that season, despite RvP’s heroics.

That Fergie quote says it all, a real United player. Would definitely rather rely on him to dictate our play than Pogba, he could learn a lot from him about intelligent CM play.

Sterling Archer

Carrick was our one constant midfielder in the clubs best ever period. He's a great.
Was quite a golden period for him and the club. We had so been used to our 16 being a different type of midfielder and in comes in this almost complete opposite, quiet and composed, lanky lad and goes on to really cement his name into our club history in a great way

L1nk

If we really want to carry on with someone of Carricks ilk then this summer we should go all out for Julian Weigl, i don't care if he' be the most expensive player we'd buy, absolutely worth it

el3mel

Carrick in his prime was a phenomenal midfielder. One of those that will always be overlooked by fans who want to see only flashy things so underrate, but he was a key part in our midfield and made every thing beside him tick.

After his somewhat decline post SAF, both LVG and Mourinho tended to use him a lot in the last season's to save our midfield when we got problems. He always helps everyone around him to perform, and by growing older he could recreate the tempo of the game and slows it when needed.

He's 36 now though, coming from some heart problems and will retire next season. He's definitely not the answer for anything now, but for me I consider of the club legends in modern era IMO. Served us for too long, very consistent won every possible competition domestic and European ( bar UEFA super cup) and still played his role post SAF when the team was struggling. He may has some problems, no player is perfect, but in his prime he was always underrated.

haram

Still a good footballer but his legs are completely gone

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I absolutely love Carrick. Always have. But even if he was younger he is not the answer other than in his prime he was better than Matic. Carrick and Matic would just bring us back to playing a 4-2-3-1. I agree that if Mourinho absolutely insists on playing that formation then I would rather see him beside Matic and Pogba in the #10, but the #10 isn't Pogba's best position (mind you I would rather see him there than in the #6). We need to look for options where we only play with one holding midfielder. Matic. That's it. We should be playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 diamond. Unfortunately Mourinho is stuck in his ways and we aren't going to see a more attacking set up and we will just have to settle for matches like today where Huddlesfield does all the pressing and we score 2 goals from our only 2 shots on target while being outplayed for most of the match...

fellaini's barber

Lol Carrick isn't better than Busquets,managers, ex players and pundits say lots of good stuff about players all the time. SAF said Phil Jones could be our best player ever. The replies I'm getting just buttresses my point. Maybe there's a reason he seems to be under-rated by everyone else apart from us United fans. It happens all the time especially with English players. Was same with Welbeck, now Rashford. Carrick was a very good player, but is definitely overrated on here

Nikelesh Reddy

Nope,not anymore unfortunately....Our first choice midfield 3 until the end of the season should be Matic,Herrera and Pogba,but in the summer we need to sign 2 top class midfielders.We need a box to box Right sided CM(Vidal would be great,available for 30 million,fit as an ox,and can play at the highest level for at least 2-3 years).And we also need to sign a deep lying playmaker/defensive number 6 who can compete with Matic.

Matic's form has regressed over the last few months and he's not getting any younger....We can't go into next season with just him as a reliable option at 6.We need a top class deep lying playmaker and a right sided box to box CM....But until the end of the season,our midfield 3 should be Matic,Herrera and Pogba....

davidmichael

I’d play Carrick alongside Matic and Pogba in the big games because when used sparingly and when needed most he’s somehow still our most consistent midfielder and we look so much better with him in the team.

Carrick would provide extra cover for Matic, extra protection for the defence, allow us to play tie ball forward from the back without it taking an eternity, a clever range of passing, calmness and assurance, experience and some leadership on the pitch.

I’d only play him against our rivals in the biggest games and in Europe as can’t play regularly anymore but until we sign someone can genuinely dictate play from deep (NOT Pogba) Carrick is still invaluable, I think Kroos or Verratti are the best possible replacements with Thiago as another possible.

MuFc_1992

I remember his highlights for 2011 CL final being pretty decent despite us getting completely dominated and his midfield partner being Grandpa Giggs. I wonder how he'd have done if we had set up with one more midfielder instead of playing 4-4-2 :houllier:.